PDA

View Full Version : Why didnt they dial another gate???

Duneknight
October 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
if they didnt want to dial earth so why didnt they dial any other planet?

PacoJr67
October 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
well, the series would have been much shorter that way...

Aurora24
October 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Because Rush wanted to dial the 9th chevron, so he took advantage of the confusion that occurred during the attack to dial out to that instead of a gate in our galaxy.

Duneknight
October 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
it gotta be more than that or else he wouldve got hanged

rosey_angel
October 6th, 2009, 08:56 PM

by whom? by the time it was done it was already too late; the 'gate was open and they'd made the connection.

SG7
October 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM
It was Rush who cancelled the dialing sequence to earth that someone had started to do and decided to dial the 9th Cheveron instead. From what I gathered from the episode he did so because he felt that it was the only opportunity that he would have of being able to do so.

Obviously a poor decision if you ask me as they had no idea what they were going to encounter on the other side of that wormhole. Luckily it wasn't worse than it could have been. However what is done is done. And now they have to deal with being billions of light years from earth. With limited supplies, and no way to get back home as of yet

Saquist
October 7th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Look at the number of people that responded to the thread.
Most people don't care that it wasn't explain or that it doesn't make sense.

Most people want realistic today but BELIEVE in the plot contrivance.

Look at un questioned plot contrivances today.

Star Wars: Episode II.
Naboo is leading the resistance to the creation of the clone army.
Palpatine wants executive powers to create a clone army.
He "coerces" Jar Jar to make the proposal.

What happened to the rest of his Party of Planets in the Senate that didn't want the army?
They just fell in line? After Jar Jar Binks? Convient.

Star Trek: The Movie

How does Old Spock, Kirk, and Scotty end up on the same planet and Spock JUST so happens to know the formula for warp transport to get back to the Enterprise?

How is Spock able to see the destruction of Vulcan from a planet that was not orbiting vulcan?

Why does Nero Leave Spock on a Planet with a Federation installation. Does he want him to get away?

The problem is no one really cares.
It's considered a stuffy formality that the movies today make sense.
Like the movies above. SGU was weak to bad story-telling.

Duneknight
October 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM
well it didnt make any sense to me. so Rush just put these people in danger on purpose to satisfy his curiosity? what is he hitler? and why didnt the Hammond beam the people out of there, the same way they beamed them there in the beginning?

Captain Obvious
October 7th, 2009, 07:20 AM
well it didnt make any sense to me. so Rush just put these people in danger on purpose to satisfy his curiosity? what is he hitler? and why didnt the Hammond beam the people out of there, the same way they beamed them there in the beginning?

Hitler has no comparison to rush. Rush Didn't mobilize an army and oppress other races. he stranded a few people on a ship, I see this comparison as laughable at best and at worst a way to grind an axe at a show you dislike for various reasons.

Did TPTB take away your SGA binkie? QQ more somewhere else.

The man did his job. He was contracted to dial the 9 chevron address and he succeeded. Sure, it hasn't turned out so well so far, but he did his job.

Quadhelix
October 7th, 2009, 08:05 AM
and why didnt the Hammond beam the people out of there, the same way they beamed them there in the beginning?
Carter said that they couldn't beam them out because of the "Bunker Shielding Technology" protecting the base.

After all, if you remember when they beamed down, they did so outside the base.

fallenexile452
October 7th, 2009, 08:35 AM
with shields up is it possible to beam at all anyway? i gathered the Hammond got damaged lowering thgeir shields to get everyone they could, cos they were holding at first.

As to dialing somewhere else it was the only chance that Rush would have had to do it. He may not have been lying though that it was too dangerous to dial anywhere else. if the gate was by default (it had been customised or something like Scott said) trying to dial using the massive amounts of energy stored in the planets core, if it wasn't used to dial the destiny it may have built up and overloaded one or both of the gates.

Saquist
October 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Also...

A fighter took out the front of the facility when it crashed...there was no way outside to get a lock.

That Bored Guy
October 7th, 2009, 08:59 AM
The only reason rush stopped Dridley(or was ever his name was) dealing earth, was because the planets core was going critical, and he thought that there would be no other chance of doing his again.

I can understand why,
you've put in 2 years of work, just for it to blown up and you have to find another source of power used be pretty pissed right.

thekillman
October 7th, 2009, 09:04 AM
so many questions, so many answered by simply watching the pilot again and paying attention.

Rush wanted the 9th chevron because Icarus was unique and this was his only shot.

once dialled it could not be aborted anymore

prion
October 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Because then we wouldn't have the show. Alas, it would have been logical to have had a list of escape routes (duh!) that even if you were at risk of an implosion coming through, you'd just scorch trees.

So, it was just cuz Rush did it and nobody else stopped him.

Lahela
October 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Folks are very conveniently assuming that Rush *knew* he was dialing to a rust-bucket ship billions of lightyears away... Wow, he has some foresight! :rolleyes:

Meshakhad
October 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Rush had a good reason for not dialing Earth. His reason for dialing the ninth chevron was his personal obsession with doing so.

Yes, it wasn't the smartest thing. Rush was acting irrationally. Slightly contrived, but I'll forgive a contrivance when it is critical to the setup for the entire show.

Saquist
October 7th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I don't even think the danger to Earth was even real.
The explosion obvious jumpted the wormhole which is why it shut down immediately after Young went through. That so called fire ball wasn't powerful enough to destroy the gate. I've looked at it a couple of times....I can't even find a reason to say what propeled any of the refugees that fast.

PacoJr67
October 7th, 2009, 11:48 AM
the fireball itself may not have been, but the whole planet blew up...
I do agree though that his "reasoning" for not dialing Earth may not have been valid, but without that there wouldn't be much of a show

Devilshock
October 7th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Rush wanted dial the ninth chevron for his ego. Rush also said that the core was unstable and he "thought" that if the core exploded the energy would go through the stargate to Earth. Either way you are probably screwed no matter what you do.

The Prophet
October 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM
well it didnt make any sense to me. so Rush just put these people in danger on purpose to satisfy his curiosity?

Yes.

what is he hitler?

Robert Carlyle did play Hitler in The Rise of Evil, but that's where the similarities end.

and why didnt the Hammond beam the people out of there, the same way they beamed them there in the beginning?

Shields were up, usually that should prevent beaming. Or, the Hatak took out the Hammond's beamers when they attacked.

Tawny
October 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I also think I remember Carter saying that Icarus had those dampener things that prevent the use of Asgard Beaming tech.

Lord Kira
October 7th, 2009, 12:12 PM
The answers to all of these questions could be found by actually watching the pilot.

bakail
October 7th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Because Dr. Rush wanted to dial the 9th Chevron purely to satisfy his ego and I suspect, have the manpower to explore the universe. I think he knew he couldn't do it on his own and needed a little help and I also suspect that he knew it was going to be a one way trip for a while. Sorta like the evil doctor guy in "Lost in Space". If there is another person to blame for the situation aboard the "Destiny", it would be COL. Young.

After he got to the gate room he was immediately informed that Dr. Rush had dialed the 9th Chevron and also was informed that the gate could not be shut down. He then got a call from 1LT. Scott that he had people trapped and needed assistance. Instead of telling everyone to sit tight and wait for further orders, he could of had them start passing the expedition's supplies throught the gate so they would have something to work with and live on if they were stuck on the other side, which of course, they were or no SGU. There were plenty of supply boxes strewn about the gateroom when COL. Young was going through the gate.

In the plot of the show, I don't think the extra supplies would make a difference, so I'm speaking from my own personal decision making process, but it would make sense. As far as the gate shutting down once the last piece went through, they could of spaced things out because as I understand it, the gate will stay open for 38 minutes. My two cents.

neufel
October 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Don't forget that Rush looks really... injured.
His wife (?) died.

I think Rush has a serious problem of depression, and it's a shame Icarus' doc didn't notice it. :P
It wasn't only a "putting them in danger for curiosity", in my opinion.

It was more of a real suicide mission. I imagine Rush thinking : "Maybe behind that gate there's a reason to live again, or inevitable death. Whatever."

Gollumpus
October 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM
The decision to not dial Earth was correct. The force of the exploding planet would certainly take out the SGC, a large portion of the state and possibly the planet. Look at the "A Matter of Time" episode as an example of what the concerns are.

Rush's choice for an alternate destination was purely selfish. If he was able to do things differently, I suspect that Rush might have been quite happy to have the rest of folks gate to a safe location while he then went to the destination achieved by dialing the ninth chevron. Yes, he did not know what would be on the other side of the wormhole, but that is the entire point. He made a decision to further his own interests which, as it turns out, put the other X number of people at continued risk. They could have gated to an alternate planet which was safe and from which they could then continue to Earth. He chose to put them into the unknown. Any future decisions or solutions he comes up with will be viewed with suspicion. Is this plan completely necessary as has been scripted by Rush, or has he added a few unnecessary, perilous side trips which could gather some info to further his own interests?

regards,
G.

AtlantisRules!!!
October 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Because Rush is obsessed with finding out what is on the nine chevron address :P

Saquist
October 7th, 2009, 02:40 PM
the fireball itself may not have been, but the whole planet blew up...
I do agree though that his "reasoning" for not dialing Earth may not have been valid, but without that there wouldn't be much of a show

I wish they hadn't made that so ambiguous.
They could have engineered the seen better be more natural, to make more sense why they JUST had to go through.

Say like...they had successfully dialed and the weapons fire from the ha'taks had made the core unstable and they couldn't guarantee getting another connection if they shut it down.

PacoJr67
October 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Say like...they had successfully dialed and the weapons fire from the ha'taks had made the core unstable and they couldn't guarantee getting another connection if they shut it down.

That probably would have worked better. If; for instance, they had made the connection and then the ha'taks showed up. And then weren't able to dial earth because the system locked up.
A simple reordering of events goes a long way...

SleepZone
October 7th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Others have stated it already. Rush knew it migh be his last chance to ever try using the code, so instead of going to earth and being safe, he instead tried gating using the 9th cheveron.

Blistna
October 7th, 2009, 03:25 PM

...and the gate locked, so they couldn't shut it down. The only way out WAS the 9th chevron because they allowed Rush to dial the gate.

Aurora24
October 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM
...and the gate locked, so they couldn't shut it down. The only way out WAS the 9th chevron because they allowed Rush to dial the gate.

Exactly, as much as Young didn't want to send people to some unknown place through the gate he didn't really have a choice. The planet was about to explode and it was impossible at that point to disconnect the gate and dial another address. It was also impossible to lower the shields to beam them up, because once the shields were down there was to great a risk of the base being destroyed before everyone could be rescued. If I was in command in that type of situation I would order an evacuation through the gate too, since it was the best change of saving as many lives as possible.

Duneknight
October 8th, 2009, 03:24 AM
none of this explains Rush's actions. sure you could explain it, but to be innocent civilians even at stake is too villainous for a main character. he wasnt even guilty afterward. dialing earth was a safe bet, only a black hole can affect wormholes, not explosions. if he returns to earth he will be punished for this which is why he never will want to go back, and hes the only one capable.

The Prophet
October 8th, 2009, 05:38 AM
none of this explains Rush's actions. sure you could explain it, but to be innocent civilians even at stake is too villainous for a main character. he wasnt even guilty afterward. dialing earth was a safe bet, only a black hole can affect wormholes, not explosions. if he returns to earth he will be punished for this which is why he never will want to go back, and hes the only one capable.

And that's what makes SGU good. The only guy who's capable of returning the crew to Earth doesn't want to, as he'd prefer to stay onboard the Destiny for either curiousity, or other motives. Plus, as you said, he'd probably be arrested back on Earth for endangering the crew.

Major Tyler
October 8th, 2009, 05:50 AM
if they didnt want to dial earth so why didnt they dial any other planet?I was thinking about this, and perhaps dialing Destiny was the best choice because it created a "valve" for the increasing power output from the planet. If they had dialed a Milky Way (or even a Pegasus) Stargate, maybe the planet would have exploded more quickly.

By sucking energy from the unstable core to maintain a trans-universal wormhole, Rush might have at least bought enough time for Greer and Young to rescue the people trapped by the fallen ceiling.

Col. Tomorian
October 8th, 2009, 10:37 AM
It was Rush who canceled the dialing sequence to earth that someone had started to do and decided to dial the 9th Cheveron instead. From what I gathered from the episode he did so because he felt that it was the only opportunity that he would have of being able to do so.

Obviously a poor decision if you ask me as they had no idea what they were going to encounter on the other side of that wormhole. Luckily it wasn't worse than it could have been. However what is done is done. And now they have to deal with being billions of light years from earth. With limited supplies, and no way to get back home as of yet
It was a bad plot premise. If you look at the original Stargate movie and show, there were motivational factors for opening the gate. Heading home to Earth was the only rational choice.

When Rush was explaining why he stopped dialing Earth, the show pretty much hung there in no man's land. Rush put them in danger for selfish reasons. At least Daniel Jackson's excuse made sense.

It had to be the longest "I am in a rush to get off the planet" scene I have ever seen. Yawn. They had plenty of time to redial Earth.

Rush is a very dry and boring character.

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
October 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
The decision to not dial Earth was correct. The force of the exploding planet would certainly take out the SGC, a large portion of the state and possibly the planet.
<snip>
They could have gated to an alternate planet which was safe and from which they could then continue to Earth.

If the explosion from the core threatened Earth, then it would also have threatened the "alternate" planet which might also have harbored sentient life. There would have been no returning to Earth as the explosion would have chased them through the wormhole no matter where they went, even to Destiny itself which would have been destroyed. And since that didn't happen, it brings us back to the real motive for Rush's decision.

Rush's choice for an alternate destination was purely selfish. <snip>Yes, he did not know what would be on the other side of the wormhole, but that is the entire point. He made a decision to further his own interests which, as it turns out, put the other X number of people at continued risk. <snip>He chose to put them into the unknown.<snip>

Yep. Selfish. That's the real reason. Rush had worked on the project for years. It was his last chance to solve the mystery of the ninth chevron.

:)

knowles2
October 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
well it didnt make any sense to me. so Rush just put these people in danger on purpose to satisfy his curiosity?
Yes

what is he hitler?
No.

and why didnt the Hammond beam the people out of there, the same way ey beamed them there in the beginning?

Carter said that the Icarus base shields were up, I guest this is the local dampening field that they developed to prevent unauthorised transports into the base.

Because Dr. Rush wanted to dial the 9th Chevron purely to satisfy his ego and I suspect, have the manpower to explore the universe. I think he knew he couldn't do it on his own and needed a little help and I also suspect that he knew it was going to be a one way trip for a while. Sorta like the evil doctor guy in "Lost in Space". If there is another person to blame for the situation aboard the "Destiny", it would be COL. Young.

After he got to the gate room he was immediately informed that Dr. Rush had dialed the 9th Chevron and also was informed that the gate could not be shut down. He then got a call from 1LT. Scott that he had people trapped and needed assistance. Instead of telling everyone to sit tight and wait for further orders, he could of had them start passing the expedition's supplies throught the gate so they would have something to work with and live on if they were stuck on the other side, which of course, they were or no SGU. There were plenty of supply boxes strewn about the gateroom when COL. Young was going through the gate.

In the plot of the show, I don't think the extra supplies would make a difference, so I'm speaking from my own personal decision making process, but it would make sense. As far as the gate shutting down once the last piece went through, they could of spaced things out because as I understand it, the gate will stay open for 38 minutes. My two cents.

Actually those supplies if they all gotten through would of made a difference in the pilote. Doctor Rush ask why he was looking at the filter whether silver something? manage to come through with the supplies someone said no. If they have manage to get that through then he could of fixed the air supply an senator armstrong would not have to sacriface himself to save the ship.
So really it was not Rush fault he dead but COL. Young, just shows Chloe is not the most intelligent person on that ship and she was in the gate room.

PacoJr67
October 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
The thing that he asked for was

Soda Lime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_lime) which is used as a CO2 scrubber

Although I doubt they would have had enough to make a difference for very long, but it could have given more time to find another substitute

abstractrobbie
October 10th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I guess because that would have made it the shortest SG series ever made, and it was pretty self explanatory. Rush is clearly putting his interest in his research before the good of the people involved.

Quadhelix
October 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
If they have manage to get that through then he could of fixed the air supply an senator armstrong would not have to sacriface himself to save the ship. That's not entirely accurate: if they had had the soda lime, they could have fixed the C02 scubbers, but they would have not had any reason to do so because all of their air would have leaked out through the shuttle before CO2 buildup became an issue (they had about an hour before the shuttle sucked out all their air, but about a day before CO2 buildup became lethal).

Basically, either way, someone had to go into the shuttle and shut the door.

Sami_
October 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I think its reasonable to conclude that Rush knew exactly where they where going to end up, would someone has smart as Rush clearly is go through a wormhole if he truly had no idea what was on the other side?

There are a LOT of examples of planets we've seen in SG1 and Atlantis where they would have been completely screwed had they actually ended up on one of them.

To mention just a few:

Stargate in orbit of a planet (Various Atlantis episodes)
Stargate on its side (A Hundred Days)
Black Hole (Matter of Time)
Ancient knowledge repository room (The Fifth Race)
Desert planets (Various SG1 episodes)
Dead planets (Proclarush Taonas)

I don't think Rush would roll the dice, he probably found some research he never told anyone about.

kinseySG
October 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM
rush said its too dangerous and the blast wave from the core exploding could follow them through the gate, which would be bad =].. and yes as that other guy said because SGU would have been 1 episode long...

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
October 15th, 2009, 08:19 PM
rush said its too dangerous and the blast wave from the core exploding could follow them through the gate, which would be bad =]..

Uh, well, to quote myself from an earlier post:

If the explosion from the core threatened Earth, then it would also have threatened the "alternate" planet which might also have harbored sentient life. There would have been no returning to Earth as the explosion would have chased them through the wormhole no matter where they went, even to Destiny itself which would have been destroyed. . . .

And of course, that didn't happen.

:)

Whitering
October 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Doesn't Rush, who is advanced thinker, have the right to believe that the Ancients wouldn't have the 9th Chevron activate to a random gate that could be compromised? While the ship is not in the best shape, there is plenty of evidence to suggest the Ancients never intended for it to be flying around this long, at least not without them aboard.

Wasn't the whole base, at least any of the civies and a few of the military personnel working for 6 months, maybe longer, to go through the gate to wherever the 9th Chevron led?

Probably some of the civies were a little disappointed that it didn't lead to a paradise of tech and nature, but you don't always get what you want.

I am not suggesting Rush was right but I am not surprised he made that decision, what I find surprising is that nobody at the base who was working on the same project feels that Rush was right.

Arga
November 4th, 2009, 01:27 PM
well, it's not "they" it's Rush!

They didn't dial to another planet because they didn't discuss about it.

Only Rush took the liberty to change the Earth dialing to the 9symbol address, after believing in Eli's supposition for the 9th chevron.
Rush rushed! There was no time to argue, he dialed what he wanted to dial, and not waste years of research. For him, it never occured to dial another planet.
If they had a reasonable meeting before deciding where to go, of course, the logical answer would have been to retreat somewhere safe..
But they didn't decide in commom, only Rush is responsible.
That's why, I think.

Explorerwinds
November 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Because Rush wanted to dial the 9th chevron, so he took advantage of the confusion that occurred during the attack to dial out to that instead of a gate in our galaxy.

Yes, he said this was his life's work. After the way he looks at his (I believe) dead wife's pic, it is a way for him to keep her dream alive.

The only reason why they are not at the Beta site or some other site is because of Rush...and yes the show would be over. Everything that happens now is Rush's fault, but he spins the truth in a way to make it not look like that.

:cool:

Explorerwinds
November 6th, 2009, 09:39 AM
well, it's not "they" it's Rush!

Only Rush took the liberty to change the Earth dialing to the 9symbol address, after believing in Eli's supposition for the 9th chevron.
Rush rushed! There was no time to argue, he dialed what he wanted to dial, and not waste years of research. For him, it never occured to dial another planet.
If they had a reasonable meeting before deciding where to go, of course, the logical answer would have been to retreat somewhere safe..
But they didn't decide in commom, only Rush is responsible.
That's why, I think.

I also think that Rush knew this was the last chance to dial the 9th, so he took it when he knew for safety they needed to dial one close to earth.

Rush did not even know if there was breathable air on the other side. What if they gated to the ice world first off and not the ship?

Arga
November 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I also think that Rush knew this was the last chance to dial the 9th, so he took it when he knew for safety they needed to dial one close to earth.

Rush did not even know if there was breathable air on the other side. What if they gated to the ice world first off and not the ship?

Well, from what I understood about the 9th chevron principles, the only possible destination would have been on a ship like the Destiny, not a planet. (but couldn't they theoretically program a 9-symbol address to any stargate they choose?)
Anyway, even in the ship, I'm surprised there was even oxygen inside.
They were very (extremely, unbelieveably) lucky to benefit from these few hours of air!...

Pharaoh Atem
November 14th, 2009, 04:33 PM

once in a life time opportunity

do you dial the 9th chevron and finally found out what it goes to. or do yu throw away your chance and save 88 people ??

i choose dialing the 9th chevron

natyanayaki
November 28th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I wish they hadn't made that so ambiguous.
They could have engineered the seen better be more natural, to make more sense why they JUST had to go through.

That may have been more reasonable; however, I get the feeling that Rush is supposed to be a lot like Baltar (though not as awesome), the genius scientist who you're not sure you can trust, because you're unclear of what his desires and intentions are. If they had taken a more reasonable route, then what other reason would we have to not trust Rush?

But that's what the writers want. They want him to be the main character, who is also the selfish, crazy scientist. The writers want him to be the character you love to hate, and Young to be the character you hate to love.

Rush is a very dry and boring character.

They're not all that successful at making him the next Baltar are they? It's kinda sad...

THAT's what I would say is the real plot hole. You would think they'd have a planned evacuation planets other than Earth, in cases of sudden evacuation...In fact, it could have made Rush an even more deliciously crazy, selfish scientist if that were the case.

Well, from what I understood about the 9th chevron principles, the only possible destination would have been on a ship like the Destiny, not a planet. (but couldn't they theoretically program a 9-symbol address to any stargate they choose?)
Anyway, even in the ship, I'm surprised there was even oxygen inside.
They were very (extremely, unbelieveably) lucky to benefit from these few hours of air!...

They probably could have, but then again they'd probably trust the code given by the Ancients would lead to a safe place. Plus one can assume that the scientists figured, that the 9 digit code left for them would lead to a Stargate with the capability to withstand the energy needed for "long-distance travel" without major consequences.

Arga
November 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by Arga

Originally Posted by natyanayaki

They probably could have, but then again they'd probably trust the code given by the Ancients would lead to a safe place. Plus one can assume that the scientists figured, that the 9 digit code left for them would lead to a Stargate with the capability to withstand the energy needed for "long-distance travel" without major consequences.

oh, sorry, in fact, by "they" i meant the Ancients..
The Ancients made this 9symbols address go to the Destiny, but if they wanted I think they could have programmed other 9symbols-addresses to go to any other "special" stargate they choose.

natyanayaki
November 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM
oh, sorry, in fact, by "they" i meant the Ancients..
The Ancients made this 9symbols address go to the Destiny, but if they wanted I think they could have programmed other 9symbols-addresses to go to any other "special" stargate they choose.

Ohhhh! Yes, I think so, if they found another Icarus-like planet or something?

EllieVee
November 28th, 2009, 11:42 PM
If it was too dangerous to dial Earth on the chance that the energy from Icarus would translate through the gate, it would also have the same effect on another planet in the Milky Way. My theory is that given the distance for the ninth chevron (and they'd know it was a greater distance from the eighth chevron), Rush realised that the build up from the planet would only be stable-ish if they went a great distance away. Notice that they walked through the gate but were flung through the other end, an indicator that there was a huge amount of energy translating through the gate despite the distance. When Icarus started to explode, Young jumped through and was flung the length of the Destiny gateroom. Also recall, the kawoosh at Icarus when the ninth chevron connected was so big that people ducked and got out of the way. Rush may have wanted the ninth chevron for whatever reason but to my mind, he actually saved everyone's lives by dialling it.