Why didnt they dial another gate???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didnt they dial another gate???

if they didnt want to dial earth so why didnt they dial any other planet?
    sigpic

well, the series would have been much shorter that way...
    sigpic

Comment

Because Rush wanted to dial the 9th chevron, so he took advantage of the confusion that occurred during the attack to dial out to that instead of a gate in our galaxy.
      sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

it gotta be more than that or else he wouldve got hanged
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
          it gotta be more than that or else he wouldve got hanged
          by whom? by the time it was done it was already too late; the 'gate was open and they'd made the connection.
          "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
          "what?"
          *throat punch*
          My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
          LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

It was Rush who cancelled the dialing sequence to earth that someone had started to do and decided to dial the 9th Cheveron instead. From what I gathered from the episode he did so because he felt that it was the only opportunity that he would have of being able to do so.

Obviously a poor decision if you ask me as they had no idea what they were going to encounter on the other side of that wormhole. Luckily it wasn't worse than it could have been. However what is done is done. And now they have to deal with being billions of light years from earth. With limited supplies, and no way to get back home as of yet
            My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
            "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

if they didnt want to dial earth so why didnt they dial any other planet?
              Look at the number of people that responded to the thread.
              Most people don't care that it wasn't explain or that it doesn't make sense.

Most people want realistic today but BELIEVE in the plot contrivance.

Look at un questioned plot contrivances today.

Star Wars: Episode II.
              Naboo is leading the resistance to the creation of the clone army.
              Palpatine wants executive powers to create a clone army.
              He "coerces" Jar Jar to make the proposal.

What happened to the rest of his Party of Planets in the Senate that didn't want the army?
              They just fell in line? After Jar Jar Binks? Convient.

Star Trek: The Movie

How does Old Spock, Kirk, and Scotty end up on the same planet and Spock JUST so happens to know the formula for warp transport to get back to the Enterprise?

How is Spock able to see the destruction of Vulcan from a planet that was not orbiting vulcan?

Why does Nero Leave Spock on a Planet with a Federation installation. Does he want him to get away?

The problem is no one really cares.
              It's considered a stuffy formality that the movies today make sense.
              Like the movies above. SGU was weak to bad story-telling.

Comment

well it didnt make any sense to me. so Rush just put these people in danger on purpose to satisfy his curiosity? what is he hitler? and why didnt the Hammond beam the people out of there, the same way they beamed them there in the beginning?
                sigpic

Comment

well it didnt make any sense to me. so Rush just put these people in danger on purpose to satisfy his curiosity? what is he hitler? and why didnt the Hammond beam the people out of there, the same way they beamed them there in the beginning?
                  Hitler has no comparison to rush. Rush Didn't mobilize an army and oppress other races. he stranded a few people on a ship, I see this comparison as laughable at best and at worst a way to grind an axe at a show you dislike for various reasons.

Did TPTB take away your SGA binkie? QQ more somewhere else.

The man did his job. He was contracted to dial the 9 chevron address and he succeeded. Sure, it hasn't turned out so well so far, but he did his job.

Comment

and why didnt the Hammond beam the people out of there, the same way they beamed them there in the beginning?
                    Carter said that they couldn't beam them out because of the "Bunker Shielding Technology" protecting the base.

After all, if you remember when they beamed down, they did so outside the base.
                    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

with shields up is it possible to beam at all anyway? i gathered the Hammond got damaged lowering thgeir shields to get everyone they could, cos they were holding at first.

As to dialing somewhere else it was the only chance that Rush would have had to do it. He may not have been lying though that it was too dangerous to dial anywhere else. if the gate was by default (it had been customised or something like Scott said) trying to dial using the massive amounts of energy stored in the planets core, if it wasn't used to dial the destiny it may have built up and overloaded one or both of the gates.

Comment

Also...

A fighter took out the front of the facility when it crashed...there was no way outside to get a lock.

Comment

The only reason rush stopped Dridley(or was ever his name was) dealing earth, was because the planets core was going critical, and he thought that there would be no other chance of doing his again.

I can understand why,
                          you've put in 2 years of work, just for it to blown up and you have to find another source of power used be pretty pissed right.

Comment

so many questions, so many answered by simply watching the pilot again and paying attention.

Rush wanted the 9th chevron because Icarus was unique and this was his only shot.

once dialled it could not be aborted anymore

Comment

Because then we wouldn't have the show. Alas, it would have been logical to have had a list of escape routes (duh!) that even if you were at risk of an implosion coming through, you'd just scorch trees.

So, it was just cuz Rush did it and nobody else stopped him.

Comment

Working...
                              X