Theory about why the Lucian Alliance attacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theory about why the Lucian Alliance attacked

I mean, how retarded is the Lucian Alliance? They not only failed to capture Icarus Base, but blew up the whole planet and lost their entire attack fleet in the process. Didn't their spy tell them "Dudes, don't shoot the planet! It's unstable!!!"? All they had to do was take care of the Hammond and the planet was theirs. It was also hilarious watching the dimwits on board the Ha'taks wait for their destruction when the planet went boom. "Hey, look! The planet's become a huge fireball. Let's sit down and enjoy the spectacle!" For crying out loud, Ha'taks do have sensors! They should have also detected "a massive build up of energy from the planet" and gotten the hell out of there just like the Hammond did.

Thoughts?
    sigpic

I was surprised that they were the ones attacking too. I expected it to be some other enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Rebel View Post
      I was surprised that they were the ones attacking too. I expected it to be some other enemy.
      Like who?
      Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
        I mean, how retarded is the Lucian Alliance? They not only failed to capture Icarus Base, but blew up the whole planet and lost their entire attack fleet in the process. Didn't their spy tell them "Dudes, don't shoot the planet! It's unstable!!!"? All they had to do was take care of the Hammond and the planet was theirs. It was also hilarious watching the dimwits on board the Ha'taks wait for their destruction when the planet went boom. "Hey, look! The planet's become a huge fireball. Let's sit down and enjoy the spectacle!" For crying out loud, Ha'taks do have sensors! They should have also detected "a massive build up of energy from the planet" and gotten the hell out of there just like the Hammond did.

Thoughts?
        Captain you hit it right on the head, sir.
        This was highly contrived and poorly developed.

If you've never watched Stargate you'd never know WHO the Lucian Alliance is or why they're attacking. I have pegged this for lazy writing and inexcusable for a Pilot episode.

This pilot was entirely dependent on information on other series. It was not stand alone.

Comment

There was a quote in the dialogue, I think it was Colonel Young; he asked how the hell the enemy acquired the intel to know to attack them. It's also never explicitly confirmed that it was the Lucian Alliance, either, but I think anyone posting on this site is in-the-know enough to disregard that.

I'm not saying this aspect wasn't done kind of poorly, because it was, and it's my major gripe with the pilot. (I also feel as the night went on, the premiere got better and better, but it also became a bit more followable for first-timers [such as my girlfriend] which is kind of... backwards, so there's that problem.) I'm just saying that I get the feeling there's a lot more than meets the eye to the Lucian Alliance showing up and getting themselves blown up.

Whoever leaked the intel, assuming it was someone who is now aboard the Destiny, may have omitted that little 'the planet will explode' fact in some way that was convincing enough to the LA that they fell for it. And given the climate of this series and how TPTB have described it, I think it's fairly safe to assume it was someone on our Ancient ship indeed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I think we're supposed to mull over Rush, but I don't know, there are a lot of reasons for me to believe it wasn't him.
          If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
            Whoever leaked the intel, assuming it was someone who is now aboard the Destiny, may have omitted that little 'the planet will explode' fact in some way that was convincing enough to the LA that they fell for it. And given the climate of this series and how TPTB have described it, I think it's fairly safe to assume it was someone on our Ancient ship indeed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I think we're supposed to mull over Rush, but I don't know, there are a lot of reasons for me to believe it wasn't him.
            I'm of this frame of mind, I don't see Rush as being a main antagonist, an anti-hero, sure, but he did not leak the info. I'd bet money on it.
            Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
              I'm of this frame of mind, I don't see Rush as being a main antagonist, an anti-hero, sure, but he did not leak the info. I'd bet money on it.
              Same here. And the fact that he seemed so genuinely broken by the test's failure and then very little time transpired between then and the attack, plus he was so obsessed with trying to figure out the calculations still and he was still clueless as to how to dial the ninth chevron until Eli pointed something out to him during the attack... it just doesn't add up, really.

He's hiding something, that's for sure. But he isn't responsible for the attack. Even if the writers initially planned on that, they might have realized it was a bit too Baltar.
              If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

The Hammond should have and could have blown the LA all to little pieces. Thats what pissed me off. Other then that, I loved it. I mean come on, three ships.
                *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Same here. And the fact that he seemed so genuinely broken by the test's failure and then very little time transpired between then and the attack, plus he was so obsessed with trying to figure out the calculations still and he was still clueless as to how to dial the ninth chevron until Eli pointed something out to him during the attack... it just doesn't add up, really.

He's hiding something, that's for sure. But he isn't responsible for the attack. Even if the writers initially planned on that, they might have realized it was a bit too Baltar.
                  Hah hah... I wasn't going to say anything, but my first thought was "that'd be waaayyyy too Baltar!"

Comment

Replace the words Lucian Alliance with Writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                      If you've never watched Stargate you'd never know WHO the Lucian Alliance is or why they're attacking. I have pegged this for lazy writing and inexcusable for a Pilot episode.
                      Personally i dont see it like that, these no need to explain who the attackers are. The attack on the base is essentially a plot device to get people to the Destiny and nothing more. A freind of mine watched it, who as never seen an episode of either SG1 or SGA. I asked her "dont you want to know who the Lucian Alliance are?" Her responce was "No not really, it aint hard to understand the concept of bad aliens attaching our base".

Comment

Hah hah... I wasn't going to say anything, but my first thought was "that'd be waaayyyy too Baltar!"
                        The funny thing is, my girlfriend said her favorite character was Rush, because 'every show needs a Baltar'. She at once both praised/adored the character and stated that she thinks he's a lot like him. So I'm torn on what to hope for in her regard, because I'd like Rush to be his own character, which, really, he is. We've been there, done that with Baltar -- or at least, anyone who watched BSG has.

Comment

The funny thing is, my girlfriend said her favorite character was Rush, because 'every show needs a Baltar'. She at once both praised/adored the character and stated that she thinks he's a lot like him. So I'm torn on what to hope for in her regard, because I'd like Rush to be his own character, which, really, he is. We've been there, done that with Baltar -- or at least, anyone who watched BSG has.
                          I can't imagine Rush in any circumstance being as whiny and weak as Baltar though. Seriously, did that guy ever NOT have a tear about to fall?

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                            Personally i dont see it like that, these no need to explain who the attackers are. The attack on the base is essentially a plot device to get people to the Destiny and nothing more. A freind of mine watched it, who as never seen an episode of either SG1 or SGA. I asked her "dont you want to know who the Lucian Alliance are?" Her responce was "No not really, it aint hard to understand the concept of bad aliens attaching our base".
                            Exactly. Same thing happened with me. They (as in those who I know who watched it, yet never watched SG-1 or SGA) don't get into it as some fans do. It's a tv series and people picking it apart like its real life.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                            and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

I can't imagine Rush in any circumstance being as whiny and weak as Baltar though. Seriously, did that guy ever NOT have a tear about to fall?
                              A few times. But they were always heightened in the 'dramatic effect' department because he wasn't being a whiny, weak *******.

That's what's so different about Rush, that and I think at the end of the day Rush is going to prove himself to be stronger, at least in the literal sense. Whatever his game plan is, I don't think it's as petty as Gaius Baltar's 'me, me, me -- oh, wait, oops, did I do that... well, me, me, me' ideology. Personally, I found Baltar thoroughly enjoyable because he was so damned human in all the wrong ways, but I'm glad Rush doesn't seem like he's going to go in that particular direction.

He really feels fairly separate from Baltar, but there are some undeniable similarities. A few, not too many.

Comment

Working...
                              X