X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documentary Style filming and Editing

What did you think of:

1. Wiggly cameras
    2. Out-of-chronological-order/non sequential editing.

Personally, I think that if you're gonna shoot documentary style then you better go all the way as in Cloverfield or not at all. Constant camera wiggling just gives me a headache.

I think I would have enjoyed Air 1 & 2 better without the non-sequential editing. Put in all in chronological order and it's a better show.
    sigpic My Twit-name (@fwupow) is the same!

It was ok in Universe, the camera didn't wiggle that much. Still I never understand the concept. Aren't the camera suppose to make you feel like you are there. Does your head wiggle when you're observing a situation or are part of a conversation. Don't think so...

The flashback was probably mostly for the premiere.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I liked the filming style. It's very Firefly, not BSG (Firefly did it long before, and I remember hearing the producers say they were going for that style), and due to that, it has a bit more immediacy/intensity, which really worked. It was extremely effective in the opening.
      Rush rocks.

Comment

I didn't experience any annoying wiggling. I did occasionally take note of how the camerawork used a lot of different angles to what I'm used to and how the motion did make me feel kinda like I as there. I rather liked the Kino-view
        I think that swapping between the present and the past is more interesting than simply doing the flashback stuff in one long chunk, and it's more creative and dramatic than simply starting at the beginning.
        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
          The flashback was probably mostly for the premiere.
          This is what I'm hoping. I got confused when the show started mid-story. I thought that I might have lost another week somewhere (again).

Comment

I don't like to know what's coming. I go nuts trying to change channel when a preview comes on for an upcoming episode. I don't want even a glimpse of it.

To me, a lot of the wonder and anticipation was sucked out by starting the story in the middle and then back-tracking.

For example, when the Icarus base was attacked, you could have been on the edge of your seat thinking "Oh crap, what are they gonna do? Are they gonna make the 9nth Chevron work, but what'll that get 'em?" but instead you already knew that they were gonna gate to the Destiny.
            sigpic My Twit-name (@fwupow) is the same!

Comment

I *mostly* liked it. There were some scenes when it was a bit dopey. I'll have to go back and look again, but as far as I remember there were parts of the scene between Chloe and Scott on the observation deck where the camera literally appears to be playing peekaboo from behind a column.

Trying a little too hard to be 'edgy' there, but I'll give it a break -- it's the pilot after all, and it will take a few episodes before they get the style down...

Laurence
              Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Originally posted by fwupow View Post
                Personally, I think that if you're gonna shoot documentary style then you better go all the way as in Cloverfield or not at all. Constant camera wiggling just gives me a headache.
                Well tell that to almost every single TV show on air right now shooting in that style.

It's not really a documentary style as it's more considered a handheld style. Static cameras are static, it's not a good way too shoot film or television because it limits what an actor can do. Lifting the camera off the tripod and letting the camera go where ever he wants frees the actors to simply just act.

With normal filming conventions, the actors follow the character, they can to the camera. With hand held conventions, the camera is the one following the characters, all the actors need to do is act. It allows for much better performances and fluid scenes.

I don't like to know what's coming. I go nuts trying to change channel when a preview comes on for an upcoming episode. I don't want even a glimpse of it.

To me, a lot of the wonder and anticipation was sucked out by starting the story in the middle and then back-tracking.

For example, when the Icarus base was attacked, you could have been on the edge of your seat thinking "Oh crap, what are they gonna do? Are they gonna make the 9nth Chevron work, but what'll that get 'em?" but instead you already knew that they were gonna gate to the Destiny.
                There's still that mystery though, now instead of wondering what's happening next, you're trying to wonder who these people are and why they're here.

Also, the second part is unfair, because you already know they're going to make it to the destiny. There's no suspense at all during the attack because you know all the main cast are going to make it, and you know where they're going to end up. Blame it on the promos if anything.
                These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

I like it. I read that sometimes they actors don't even know where the camera is, which makes their acting much more interesting to watch.

Comment

About the time changes, I especially liked the 'ominous hum' that's often heard when changing between past and present. It was a cool audio cue to what was going on.
                    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                    Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Personally, I can't stand the shaky camera work. One of things that I loved about sg-1 and atlantis was the exceptional steady-cam work. You shouldn't really be aware of the camera as a viewer, and watching this just constantly makes me think about it. Too many cuts, too.

The out of order thing I think they went a little overboard with. I just think they swapped a little too much and it kind of pulled me out of it a little.

Comment

What did you think of:

1. Wiggly cameras
                        2. Out-of-chronological-order/non sequential editing.
                        1 loved that it doesn't shake as much as bsg season 1 which is good

2, i think the flsash backs are only for the first 3 eps so i wouldn't expect it to last
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

huh? oh yea.

hadnt even noticed

Comment

Overall, I didn't mind the hand held cameras at all. I thought it added to the drama and gave the actors some freedom of movement that we haven't seen from sga and sg1. That made the angles and reactions fresh and exciting.

The 'flashbacks' weren't quite flashbacks because they covered more than one character in the flashback. That was confusing. Jumping back to the past at pivotal character moments did help me understand that character and what experiences they were bringing to the table. However, when their story was over, the transition into a separate backstory scene was confusing since I expected the scene to return to the pivotal moment.

Getting use to that style will just take a bit of watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                              1 loved that it doesn't shake as much as bsg season 1 which is good

2, i think the flsash backs are only for the first 3 eps so i wouldn't expect it to last
                              Nope there are already several known other flash back scenes for the rest of the series. An the pilot left a lot of the flash backs stories open ended, meaning there will be more flash backs in future episodes, or cause they end them all next episode but that be boring.

Comment

Working...
                              X