Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A mathematical problem in ancient language in a game?..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A mathematical problem in ancient language in a game?..

So the kid, I am not sure how you spell his name, solved this problem in the game he was playing.

The game apparently initiated a 'firing sequence'.

That means that somewhere in the game, the solution is precoded, otherwise it wouldn't be able to detect the correct answer.

So in short, this would leave me with the question: Why do they need someone to solve a problem, while apparently it's solved already?

Now Rush managed to convert the solution into something practical, as referred to in the first episode, but it doesn't explain my question.

Anyone else who found this quite confusing?

Perhaps he had to enter numbers before in the game to get the firing code.
    sigpic
    A lot of the things that made Stargate awesome, but just with steroids, spread all over it. - Brian J. Smith

Comment

Well, I like to think of it like this.

You're given a binomial equation and you are charged with finding its roots. Let's say it's:

x^2 + 3x + 2 = 0

Your job is to find an universal equation that will solve for the roots. In order for the program to recognize that you've been successful, all it needs to do is take the results of your "magic universal equation" and plug them into the binomial to see if it equals zero; if it does, then you win; if it doesn't, you lose.

Obviously, the universal equation is the quadratic equation.

The analogy here is, whatever Eli had to do, the program knew what the results had to be; it just didn't know how it could get there; Eli provided that last bit of key info.

Comment

Notice how absolutely nothing happened when Eli "solved" it. His character was returned to the start of the level. Maybe the game simply registered that he'd come up with a viable solution, not that he'd come up with the solution.

Comment

Anyone that understands that even in the writing of computer-game say that it is impossible. Script in this moment simply unnatural and is targeted for fools.
          Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
          SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

But something did happen to Eli "He met Rush" anyway I give the credit to the Writers for pluging in a MMO in that way. Is that game possiblity StargateWorlds?

Currently Watching: SGU Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice

Rewatch: BSG, SGA, SG:1 Farscape, X files

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              Well, I like to think of it like this.

You're given a binomial equation and you are charged with finding its roots. Let's say it's:

x^2 + 3x + 2 = 0

Your job is to find an universal equation that will solve for the roots. In order for the program to recognize that you've been successful, all it needs to do is take the results of your "magic universal equation" and plug them into the binomial to see if it equals zero; if it does, then you win; if it doesn't, you lose.

Obviously, the universal equation is the quadratic equation.

The analogy here is, whatever Eli had to do, the program knew what the results had to be; it just didn't know how it could get there; Eli provided that last bit of key info.
              I was going to make an analogy involving integrals...but I think this pretty much covers it!

Originally posted by Ashman View Post
              But something did happen to Eli "He met Rush" anyway I give the credit to the Writers for pluging in a MMO in that way. Is that game possiblity StargateWorlds?
              It is.
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69445
              sigpic
              Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Is it not possible the game took his answer and plugged it into a simulation. At which point it returned a positive result and sent the information on to the heads at the SGC. Makes sense to me and sounds pretty realistic. I am just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by techwork View Post
                  Anyone that understands that even in the writing of computer-game say that it is impossible. Script in this moment simply unnatural and is targeted for fools.
                  Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by techwork View Post
                    Having actually written a good number of programs for solving Physics problems, I can tell you that writing a program that checks if given answer is accurate is a LOT easier than writing a program that find the answer. In some cases, it can be proven that the solution cannot be found analytically, and yet equation for testing a solution exists.
                    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

SG-U is making a parallel here between Eli and Dr. Daniel Jackson from the original Stargate Movie.

Both characters were found in their own element.

Dr. Daniel Jackson was hired to translate the symbols on the coverstones and then to figure out the 7th symbol so we could start using the stargate.

It appears that Eli's problem was to determine what the 9th chevron would be on the Stargate so that the SG-U team could reach the destiny.

The formula for the "firing sequence" most likely had 9 symbols to enter just like the encoding sequence on the stargate.

Eli's formula worked in all aspects except for determining the correct point of origin. Since they were putting in their exact point of origin as the 9th chevron, the stargate could not connect. Only when using the symbol for earth could they make a connection to the Destiny.

Just like Daniel Jackson, Eli was very helpful in filling in the blanks to allow the team to use the stargate.

Eli is like Daniel for a new generation, ... except he doesn't have all the degrees, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ashman View Post
                        Yes of course StargateWorlds (c) Macello
                        But ..... This is of little help. Sick people who really believe in the existence of Stargate - a little. They should rather make game release, until its engine is not completely obsolete. And try to make this game really Original.
                        Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                        SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

the game was called Prometheus. and the equation was needed for the Dakara weapon. which tied into the core of the planet.

lol, stargate cleverly disguised into a game in stargate

the proof was needed to calibrate the right amount of power to dial the gate. i do not know what part has to be solved, but judging from what Rush did to start from the beginning, the amount of power was unknown

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                            Having actually written a good number of programs for solving Physics problems, I can tell you that writing a program that checks if given answer is accurate is a LOT easier than writing a program that find the answer. In some cases, it can be proven that the solution cannot be found analytically, and yet equation for testing a solution exists.
                            What ? You do understand that this physical model? You watched the development of a Industry Automated Process Control (APC) system ?
                            I see what is not. Personally, I watched the whole process of automation of the new company. And words such as SIMATIC Step 7 for me is not an empty sound. You can not create a program processing some operation if you do not know what kind of action. Especially in game form. The program handles the action to pre-assignment algorithm. But it is not possible to specify an unknown algorithm. And to create an algorithm is necessary to know how it works.
                            SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

it is said by Scott that Rush was trying to solve the problem. so obviously some parts were there already. the game was probably communicating with a computer at the SGC or so, and the moment Eli put it in, the system checked, detected it to be right and then reset the level.

Comment

Working...
                              X