PDA

View Full Version : EATG earths big mistake...

camothor
October 4th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Why for such an important location like area 51 would they not have shielding for the base ? I mean aside from housing the control chair it also has just about every other piece of advanced tech we have gotten our hands on over the span of the operation.

i mean we have asgard tech including their shields.....
thoughts

BriGuy
October 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
This is the type of thing that gets left out of things like series finales. Sure Area 51 should of had shields and weapons, but they needed to leave the window open for the city of Atlantis to save the day.

Wolf
October 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I thought it was funny that even the super-secret base that no one was supposed to know about (Icarus) even had one railgun, yet Area 51 has no (decent) ground to air defenses?

I'm still wanting to know... if they moved the chair to Area 51, why did they not give someone the gene therapy and teach them how to operate the chair??

I understand why they wanted Sheppard to control it as he has the most experience with operating the chair and controlling the drones; however, why would Earth not also have other people at Area 51 who could operate it in case of emergencies such as EATG??

fumblesmcstupid
October 10th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I was looking for the big bullseye around Area 51......and the Acme anvil to land on the building where the chair was sitting.....

Minyakano
October 10th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Personally I'm wondering what the big super secret mission the Odessey was on. Anyway, where else are they going to put it? Antartica's out, by treaty and logistical concerns, and having it in Chyenne mountain is too dangerous in case of a foothold situation.

thekillman
October 10th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Icarus had atleast 3 or 4 railguns.

EATG is best left buried under the soil and kept there. any attempts to explain, clarify, or answer, are futile.

they should have removed Identity from the episode list, and have made EATG a two parter

fumblesmcstupid
October 10th, 2009, 04:07 PM
And take away an episode for Keller?????????? Shirley you jest (shout out to Airplane)

But wait, how could we as fans not live without seeing a whole episode for Keller(who wasn't really Keller) instead of a well thought out ending to a tv show that was on for five years???

WraithQueenH
October 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I was looking for the big bullseye around Area 51......and the Acme anvil to land on the building where the chair was sitting.....

LOL... That was cut for time. ;)

boyd22
October 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I thought it was funny that even the super-secret base that no one was supposed to know about (Icarus) even had one railgun, yet Area 51 has no (decent) ground to air defenses?

I'm still wanting to know... if they moved the chair to Area 51, why did they not give someone the gene therapy and teach them how to operate the chair??

I understand why they wanted Sheppard to control it as he has the most experience with operating the chair and controlling the drones; however, why would Earth not also have other people at Area 51 who could operate it in case of emergencies such as EATG??

or atleast called Jack in to sit in the chair...from what we've seen, he could probably use the chair just as good as sheppard...

lordofseas
October 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Icarus had atleast 3 or 4 railguns.

EATG is best left buried under the soil and kept there. any attempts to explain, clarify, or answer, are futile.

they should have removed Identity from the episode list, and have made EATG a two parter

No. They should have screwed over First Contact and Lost tribe, and make the Prodigal the two parter. MS could've appeared in another episode.

henry21w
October 28th, 2009, 03:27 AM
well i also dont understand the point of hiding the area 51... it is just useless... dont worry... someday govt will have to open it..

<snip...we don't allow ads here, and if that's all you want to post, please move on>

wise one
November 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM
what i dont get is even if the superhive or wraith didnt show up to earth and atlantis was back in the pegasus galaxy and nothing happened over there

so lets say the lucian alliance show up with 30 hataks or something earth defences are still in place to defend the planet, someone else would of gotten into that chair and droned them otherwise they would always need to call sheppard or oniel even though oniel doesnt like getting into that thing

Arwis
November 4th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I think we should accept it as a big plot hole, because I don't think there's even one valid point that could save EATG.

Killian Ayane
November 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM
a great movie would be a good come back or a rescue for EATG. I just had an idea but im gonna post it on the alternative ending

boyd22
December 7th, 2009, 06:25 AM
the big mistake was the entire episode...the amount of stupidity in the episode almost boggles the mind...

Sealurk
December 7th, 2009, 06:57 AM
the big mistake was the entire episode...the amount of stupidity in the episode almost boggles the mind...

Seconded. I can only guess season six would have revealed massive Goa'uld infiltration of the Homeworld Security hierarchy as a means of retaliation to explain the mistakes.

That or the episode was severely rushed / barely thought out. Would any military commander, especially in the Stargate program have come up with these strategic and tactical gems?

"Hey, let's send our entire operational fleet of starships AWAY from Earth!"

"Let's put the chair ABOVE ground and without air defences"

"F-302's carrying nukes? Why would we ever need that option?"

I think what annoys me the most is there was potential for EatG to be a phenomenal finale, if only a little more thought had gone into it.

Mongoletsi
December 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I think what annoys me the most is there was potential for EatG to be a phenomenal finale, if only a little more thought had gone into it.
Agree with everything you say.

The thing that annoys me is that plenty of people will swear blind that EatG (and S5 in general) are really well-written and not all cliched or generally ridiculous!

Gem of Tigress
December 9th, 2009, 11:01 AM
well said.

Iceman826
December 28th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Why ever bother with all that in EATG, they opened a wormhole to the hive ship and sent the team aboard... Why not just send a nuke through? Thats essentially what they did when the remote detonated Sheppard's 302 nuke. They sent 3 or 4 grenades through before they went through, so just send a nuke and end of episode.

Sealurk
December 28th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I don't think it's ever been established that Atlantis or the expedition have any nuclear weapons or anything comparable - except for naquadah reactors I suppose, though I think they aren't as predictable or stable as nukes, not to mention their expense.

While the situation certainly warranted any means necessary, perhaps a naquadah reactor just wasn't reliable enough to send through - maybe there was a chance it would either be defused by the Wraith, or would go off in the gate room.

I think it would certainly make sense to have at least one nuclear device permanently stationed in Atlantis, but hey, this is the IOA we're dealing with. Damn bureaucrats...

Flyboy
December 28th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Basically I think the EPISODE Enemy at the Gate was in itself; Earth's Big Mistake.

Ok... so that's a little extreme. But seriously. There's SO much wrong with this ep. I'd have rather it had been a dvd movie and end up with a rubbish series finale like Unending.

g.o.d
December 28th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I still don't know why they wanted Sheppard to be back on Earth(despite the fact TPTB wanted to become a martyr again)

LandJrule
December 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
or atleast called Jack in to sit in the chair...from what we've seen, he could probably use the chair just as good as sheppard...

They said in the Audio Comm that they weren't prepared to get RDA in for just a day. If they wanted him in the ep, they'd have to have a bigger role for him.

At lot of things went unexplained because they were trying to fit a 2-part ep into one ep.

lordofseas
December 31st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Basically I think the EPISODE Enemy at the Gate was in itself; Earth's Big Mistake.

Ok... so that's a little extreme. But seriously. There's SO much wrong with this ep. I'd have rather it had been a dvd movie and end up with a rubbish series finale like Unending.

Phaw, I'd say you were being far too lenient.