Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C'mon - only ONE railgun? That's sad, Earthlings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C'mon - only ONE railgun? That's sad, Earthlings.

I LOVED Universe, thought the season premiere rocked it on all fronts. My only gripe was the SINGLE railgun that was set up for defense at the base on the alien planet. All those birds, soldiers, etc. and ONE gun? No wonder they got stomped.

Ok, so three Goa'uld motherships (unfortunately no longer controlled by the cool Goa'uld but rather the stupid Alliance) with a ton of fighters is no walk in the park, but the human defenses were craptastic.

I totally agree. I would have thought that a base that important would have easily had a solid defense.

But why couldn't the 304 handle the motherships? I thought that especially with Asgard technology now, they could certainly send the motherships packing.

Couldn't they do it before even? They could destroy Hive ships without too much trouble.

Comment

You got that right, but it was meant to be a secret base and the Lucian Alliance are the only true enemy left in the galaxy

Comment

Dude... what? There were other fortifications. I counted at least 4 in total.

You can clearly see more walls off to the side with more Railguns.
        These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
          Dude... what? There were other fortifications. I counted at least 4 in total.

You can clearly see more walls off to the side with more Railguns.
          Yeah I saw that and this thread made me go wth???
          Tst

Comment

The only thing that bug me was that there were asgard shields or force fields protecting the weapons areas. A level of this technology is in the public domain after all so why not use it to protect military insulations.

Comment

Oh, well if there were more then 1 they really didn't show them off well in the fight. I'll have to rewatch the episode (only watched it once).

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva View Post
                Oh, well if there were more then 1 they really didn't show them off well in the fight. I'll have to rewatch the episode (only watched it once).
                Yes they did, you just missed it. People need to stop blaming shows for things they themselves just overlooked.
                These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Still this installation clearly need heavier fortifications.

Detox...I think that sums up SGU.
                  The Wrong People in the Wrong Place.

Comment

well the Icarus base is no longer in need of heavier fortifications, maybe the fortifications were light because
                    a it was supposed to be a secret base and heavy fortification would give it away
                    b given the unstable nature of the planet maybe they decided that the planet was likely to blow up if attacked

either way, it's gone now (not that it ever actually existed of course)
                    sigpic

Comment

Earth's off world bases need to start using shielding technology as well as being buried in mountains. As useful as hiding in a mountain is, it isn't the safest option available. People are injured or killed due to falling rubble or are even trapped by it. Once they know they are under attack they can raise the shield, which would make fighting back easier. Especially as they knew they outnumbered, Colonel Telford was worried about the troop transport rather than the gliders.
                      Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

@ the above posts saying they should use decent shield tech:
                        If we are talking about protecting a mountain base with shields, I'd imagine it would have to be more like an Atlantis shield than anything else, and would need quite large amounts of power to offer a good resistance. The only power sources(that we know of) capable of this are ZPM's, which I dont think there are any spares at the minute), or energy sourced from the planet itself, eg. Geothermal. Biggest problem with that is you'd be drawing even more power from the unstable core of the planet Icarus is on, which would surely decrease the time before a catastrophic overload, causing the planet to do its Big bada boom thing.
                        sigpic

Comment

they also discovered the planet 2 years ago, meaning they most likely had not updated its tech with asgard weapons and shields because they were new!

people keep forgetting the preimier takes place 1 week after EATG! GRRRR

Comment

What got me, did the rail guns seem to fire like a machine gun, not the speed and rate what we are used too. Also why did the rail guns have muzzle flash, they dont use gun powder

Comment

well if it were an actual rail gun, you wouldn't see anything...
                              no recoil, no flash, no visible bullet path. It just makes for bad TV, so they jazz it up a bit.

if the projectiles were larger that could account for the rate of fire being slower
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X