PDA

View Full Version : Sgt. Hunter Riley Discussion/Appreciation

TraK
October 3rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Do you think Sgt. Riley will be the new gate tech guy for SGU, i.e. Walter/Chuck?
I reckon this Riley guy is a pretty likable guy, and i could used to him. What do you guy think of his character?

fwupow
October 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
I immediately tagged him as a keeper when watching the premiere and I agree with you.

His skill with sarcasm was great when at the stuck door with James & Scott: "What happened to being smart? Do we? Do we really?"

TPTB could probably have saved a bunch of money and made him Dr. Rush.

Detox
October 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I'm hoping they keep him. Every SG series needs a gate technician who's the butt of everyone's jokes.

jsonitsac
October 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
I think he might get more depth than his counterparts.

Infinite-Possibilities
October 3rd, 2009, 11:42 PM
I actually am a little worried about that guy's survival. Without knowing any spoilers (which obviously would possibly answer this conclusively) I'd peg him possibly a potential red shirt with what limited information we have.

PG15
October 3rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
He was brilliant. Besides the aforementioned sarcasm at the stuck door, he also said "you've gotta be kidding me" when they said all they had were powerbars, as if he just found out his office vending machine is in need of restocking.

Definitely a keeper.

EDIT: Just realized whom he reminded me of: O'Neill! Yes, his dry wit and calmness in such a stressful situation is exactly like Jack!

Detox
October 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM
He was brilliant. Besides the aforementioned sarcasm at the stuck door, he also said "you've gotta be kidding me" when they said all they had were powerbars, as if he just found out his office vending machine is in need of restocking.

Definitely a keeper.

EDIT: Just realized whom he reminded me of: O'Neill! Yes, his dry wit and calmness in such a stressful situation is exactly like Jack!

Spoiler about Riley

He's credited in the season finale, so its a fair assumption to say that he sticks around. Also, Joe said as much about the actor's flair for deadpan sarcasm. I'm fairly sure they'll keep him for the humour element of Universe.

Cold Fuzz
October 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Do you think Sgt. Riley will be the new gate tech guy for SGU, i.e. Walter/Chuck?
I reckon this Riley guy is a pretty likable guy, and i could used to him. What do you guy think of his character?

Riley caught my attention immediately. He reminded me of Chuck and Maj. Marks but with cool backtalk. He's definitely a good find!

Wolf
October 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Agreed, yes, hopefully he becomes the new walter, just with better luck lol.

diMaggio
October 7th, 2009, 04:54 AM
[...] EDIT: Just realized whom he reminded me of: O'Neill! Yes, his dry wit and calmness in such a stressful situation is exactly like Jack!

Only with a little less testosterone. :D

reddevil18
October 7th, 2009, 05:06 AM
He's great! He's like Walter, if he had cojones. I do hope he doesn't go the way of Grodin...

renboy
October 7th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I'm actually hoping he would be the new Sylar :)

reddevil18
October 7th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I'm actually hoping he would be the new Sylar :)
You mean you want him to start cutting people's heads off and whatnot?

Encoder
October 7th, 2009, 05:44 AM

He seems so..."Oh if I have too".

:sheppard:

renboy
October 7th, 2009, 05:54 AM
You mean you want him to start cutting people's heads off and whatnot?

Ewww.. not the one that single handedly made me stop watching Heroes...
I'm guessing the SG one is called Syler?

reddevil18
October 7th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Ewww.. not the one that single handedly made me stop watching Heroes...
I'm guessing the SG one is called Syler?Yep, that's him. But I hope Riley won't be the target of silly pratfalls, like Syler was. Sarcasm and deadpan is perfect for him.

Cold Fuzz
October 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Yep, that's him. But I hope Riley won't be the target of silly pratfalls, like Syler was. Sarcasm and deadpan is perfect for him.

I think Eli will probably get his share of silly pratfalls after a while. I can picture Eli and Scott having a little brother/big brother dynamic.

For Riley, I can see him consistently butting heads with Rush (especially with Rush's comments about his understanding of Ancient) and some of the other scientists, like Franklin and Volker.

Colonel Swede
October 11th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned but i wonder if anyone else except me has noticed that Sergeant riley appears to have the rank pin of a Senior Airman and the USAF dosen't even have the Sergeant rank....

jelgate
October 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned but i wonder if anyone else except me has noticed that Sergeant riley appears to have the rank pin of a Senior Airman and the USAF dosen't even have the Sergeant rank....

Yes they do. Their are multiplr sergeant ranks

YoshiKart64
October 11th, 2009, 03:13 PM
All I know is that the guy is great with the sarcasm. Hopefully he sticks around, he's the perfect recurring character.

_Famrir_
October 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM
yea he should be the one telling the jokes and not eli

Adrenaholic
October 24th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I know this is a bit off topic, but im curious as to his rank... Im active duty military and this caught my eye in particular: Everyone calls him Sergeant (E-5), but he has Senior airman stripes on his collar (E-4)...

I know that in the 80's-90's USAF E-4's were called buck sergeants, maybe SGU has gone back to this practice...

Are there any AD/Prior Service/Military Buffs who could help me out on this one?

-Adren

GateroomGuard
October 24th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I like Riley. I actually haven't found a character on the show I don't like but Riley in particular is very amusing. I hope he stays on the show for a long time, preferably until it ends.

TheReturnOfTheLantian
October 24th, 2009, 03:22 AM

He just looks like a Gate Tech. dunno why though

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I like him, i think he will be in it a bit more than walter or chuck were, i know they were always around in the background but i mean that he will star more in the episodes, although that could be said of most people in this series.

Obi1
October 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM
He's growing on me. The first couple of episodes he worried me as a loose cannon but after seeing him in the scene with the colonel, he's a man with some sense of honor and duty. He's like the human version of Teal'c and Ronan.

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM
He's growing on me. The first couple of episodes he worried me as a loose cannon but after seeing him in the scene with the colonel, he's a man with some sense of honor and duty. He's like the human version of Teal'c and Ronan.
I think you mean Greer not Riley.

Obi1
October 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM
oh duh.

:mckay:

I'm a noobican.

Oh, the skinny guy who left the kino behind. Gotcha. I don't have an opinion yet.

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM
oh duh.

:mckay:

I'm a noobican.

Oh, the skinny guy who left the kino behind. Gotcha. I don't have an opinion yet.
Shame on you for not having an opinion, it was his birthday - surely he deserves and opinion for his birthday.

zorviny
October 24th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Lol... I thought it was appropriate since this seemed like a pretty crappy 30th bday! lol Happy Birthday Riley!

:)

(Change note: I changed the title as omnipedia might have a misprint on Riley's ranking ominpedia says senior airman but as noted by specter I think I heard sergeant also.)

Specter177
October 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I thought he was a Sergeant?

zorviny
October 24th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Maybe it is a pulled his info from the omnipedia. If so then the omnipedia is wrong.

Major Tyler
October 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Lol... I thought it was appropriate since this seemed like a pretty crappy 30th bday! lol Happy Birthday Senior Airman Riley!He gets a demotion for his birthday? That sucks...

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I remember Young calling him Sergeant Riley in the lottery. Happy Birthday anyway.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Lol... I thought it was appropriate since this seemed like a pretty crappy 30th bday! lol Happy Birthday Riley!

:)

(Change note: I changed the title as omnipedia might have a misprint on Riley's ranking ominpedia says senior airman but as noted by specter I think I heard sergeant also.)

http://www.smileycollector.com/images/bdaycake.gif

We need a Riley smiley. Hey, that rhymes........ :p

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah we definately need a Smiley for Riley (damn the rhyming it was unavoidable).

Coronach
October 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Actually, I'd say his birthday turned out to be perfect. He and the rest of the crew lived, and it was certainly an adrenaline rush ;)

Oh...happy birthday Riley :P

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Actually, I'd say his birthday turned out to be perfect. He and the rest of the crew lived, and it was certainly an adrenaline rush ;)

Oh...happy birthday Riley :P
Yeah but he didn't get a cake unless they made him one from the rations.

Major Tyler
October 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hunter Riley is clearly called "Sergeant" throughout the series so far, but the rank insignia he wears on his collar is that of a Senior Airman.

You'd think TPTB would know Air Force military rank insignias by now!

What gives?

Coronach
October 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM

This is true.

Major Tyler
October 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I just realized that Riley wears Senior Airman insignias on his collar, but he is called "Sergeant" on the show. TPTB screwed the pooch on this one. Plus, there isn't even a rank called "Sergeant" in the Air Force.

Myles
October 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM

I bet like Rush he got a double serving on rations. Happy Birthday indeed!

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I just realized that Riley wears Senior Airman insignias on his collar, but he is called "Sergeant" on the show. TPTB screwed the pooch on this one. Plus, there isn't even a rank called "Sergeant" in the Air Force.
Maybe his first name is Sergeant - that would explain it.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM

That's right. If there's no cake then it's not a real birthday

:jack: Jack O'Neill demands cake!

Major Tyler
Maybe his first name is Sergeant - that would explain it.LOL, we know it's Hunter.

IcarusAbides
I bet like Rush he got a double serving on rations. Happy Birthday indeed!
Tasty birthday double rations.

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 10:31 AM
LOL, we know it's Hunter.
Middle name that Young likes to call him by then.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 24th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Maybe his first name is Sergeant - that would explain it.

In his Kino video he said that his first name was Hunter.

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
In his Kino video he said that his first name was Hunter.

(I know that you were joking)
Damn those pesky Kinos' for destroying my theory.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 24th, 2009, 10:34 AM
LOL, we know it's Hunter.

I see that you beat me to it.

Obi1
October 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM
ummm, happy birthday? Your birthday present, you get to live!

Major Tyler
October 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I know this is a bit off topic, but im curious as to his rank... Im active duty military and this caught my eye in particular: Everyone calls him Sergeant (E-5), but he has Senior airman stripes on his collar (E-4)...

I know that in the 80's-90's USAF E-4's were called buck sergeants, maybe SGU has gone back to this practice...

Are there any AD/Prior Service/Military Buffs who could help me out on this one?The modern Air Force has no "Buck Sergeant" anymore, so this does not follow reality. I think TPTB dropped the ball on this one, and also having everyone call Greer "Sergeant" even though the Marines never shorten ranks.

Ekras
October 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Maybe he got demoted?

Orion Antreas
October 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
It was just a costume goof.

P-90_177
October 24th, 2009, 01:58 PM
actually going by sg1 and sga they seem to know only officer ranks..........after that they only know seargent and aiman.

Sifr
October 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM
It makes you wonder if they had landed on the barely habitable world.

James: So welcome to New Earth...
Riley: What about my suggestion?
Scott: We're NOT calling it Planet Riley!
Riley: But its my birthday!

Avenger
October 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM
That's because there are three airmen ranks and the rest are sergeants of some sort. But yes, it's an error. An E4 (Riley's insignia) is called a senior airman.

jelgate
October 24th, 2009, 02:52 PM

ROLF.

I knew I shouldn't have had milk next to my computer

EvilSpaceAlien
October 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
it makes you wonder if they had landed on the barely habitable world.

James: So welcome to new earth...
riley: What about my suggestion?
Scott: We're not calling it planet riley!

:lol:

GREEN

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
In Darkness he 's 'Hunter with a Kino.'
Some time in the future he'll be the 'Hunted'

Alls the same Happy Birthday Riley, I hope you reach the next one LOL

Detox
October 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
His ranked used to also denote Sergeant before 1997.

Maybe they just unofficially call E4s with a command role Sergeants.

Major Tyler
October 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Maybe they just unofficially call E4s with a command role Sergeants.If by "they" you mean the USAF, you're definitely wrong, but if by "they" you mean the SGC, I suppose it's possible.

Cold Fuzz
October 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Hilarious! I'm glad Riley is going to be around for a while. I get a feeling that TPTB wouldn't make a point to mention his birthday at least twice with the intention of just killing him off. That would definitely piss me off. ;)

Sifr
October 24th, 2009, 07:54 PM
ROLF.

I knew I shouldn't have had milk next to my computer

Thank you, thank you all... I'll be here till next Friday...

Then I'll be making fun of the next episode ;)

MattSilver 3k
October 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Thank you, thank you all... I'll be here till next Friday...

Then I'll be making fun of the next episode ;)

You take the episodes, and I'll take the fans. :P

Dark lord me
October 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I like Riley he is like the Walter or Chuck. The gate tech ( At leat on Icares)

escyos
October 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM
maybe riley lost his patch and had to grab one of a dead person on the way out of icarus, maybe its not his uniform (unlikely, considering his name is on it), maybe people whould not notice *tiny* little things and stop makin threads about it.

Remember this is NOT set in our universe, in our universe Cheyenne mountain is a lot smaller underground than in the SG universe, also Colonel O'Neill in the SG universe looks a lot like Richard Dean Anderson in our universe

Pharaoh Atem
October 24th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Hunter Riley is clearly called "Sergeant" throughout the series so far, but the rank insignia he wears on his collar is that of a Senior Airman.

You'd think TPTB would know Air Force military rank insignias by now!

What gives?

there the wrong people in the wrong place so it makes sense that the insignias are wrong too :P

Pontifex
October 24th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Well there's very little they are getting right on the military rank and structure at this point. I've just about given up trying to make any sense of it.

I mean, in just the latest episode, we hear Greer called Sgt. Unacceptable to a Marine to call a Master Sergeant a Sgt. It's not done and not appropriate.

And saluting without a cover on? Not ever done by a Marine.

*Had he put it on, it would have been acceptable. Had it not been a disgustingly bad salute.

escyos
October 24th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Well there's very little they are getting right on the military rank and structure at this point. I've just about given up trying to make any sense of it.

I mean, in just the latest episode, we hear Greer called Sgt. Unacceptable to a Marine to call a Master Sergeant a Sgt. It's not done and not appropriate.

And saluting without a cover on? Not ever done by a Marine.

*Had he put it on, it would have been acceptable. Had it not been a disgustingly bad salute.

well the whole 'we're flying into a star' thing would have made a few people think why even bother being so proper, i really dont think they would have cared

Pontifex
October 24th, 2009, 11:14 PM
That's just it, a Marine Master Sergeant would.

It's simply part of a trend with SGU that's the only nagging downside to the show. The show is just completely lost in regards to the military even though it plays such an important part of the show.

Infinite-Possibilities
October 25th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Even if he didn't too have many lines that I remember in this episode. For some reason I liked him a little bit more now. Somehow he seemed cooler than I remember him being from the previous few shows he was seen in.

Sifr
October 25th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Oh man, that'd be great.

We have a scene that cuts between where Walter is trying to dial Destiny, and Riley is in a crunch trying to dial some other planet, Riley simply dials, Walter does the whole "Chevron 1..." malarky...

They simply clap Riley on the shoulder when it works.

Jack O'Neill simply appears to cuff Walter on the head, "Did I ever tell you thats EXTREMELY annoying Walty-boy?"

Kidwizz
October 25th, 2009, 04:14 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RILEY!

I'd say having everyone live is a pretty good bday pressie,

IcarusAbides
October 25th, 2009, 05:44 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RILEY!

I'd say having everyone live is a pretty good bday pressie,
I think when not dying has to be your birthday wish then things have gone downhill slightly.

General Jeckle
October 25th, 2009, 12:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force
At the bottom it shows the NCO charts. Some lists I found don't show certain facts, this one shows all the paygrades though.
:cameron21:

Confessor Rahl
October 25th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Pretty crappy 30th b-day?!! Says who? They flew through a SUN in a distant galaxy! That's a killer birthday if you ask me!

reddevil18
October 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Pretty crappy 30th b-day?!! Says who? They flew through a SUN in a distant galaxy! That's a killer birthday if you ask me!Except he didn't. He was on the shuttle...

But I'm sure that as soon as Chloe learns it was his birthday, she'll give him a nice gift...

EvilSpaceAlien
October 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Except he didn't. He was on the shuttle...

But I'm sure that as soon as Chloe learns it was his birthday, she'll give him a nice gift...

Now I want to celebrate my birthday on the Destiny......... http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/baltar/baltar018.gif

reddevil18
October 25th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Now I want to celebrate my birthday on the Destiny......... http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/baltar/baltar018.gifDepending on how many people she...errr..."befriends" by then, your gift might be the kind that keeps on giving, if you know what I mean...

GateroomGuard
October 25th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah I have a feeling that Riley was hoping his birthday present was going to be getting to be the first to attempt to expand the human race on their planet. ;)

jelgate
October 25th, 2009, 05:01 PM

That sounds more like Scott then Chloe. He has her beat 3:1:P

I have my suspicions about Greer too but no proof on him

reddevil18
October 25th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I will end you!

jelgate
October 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I will end you!

More powerful posters then you have tried and failed.

Col.Foley
October 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Pretty crappy 30th b-day?!! Says who? They flew through a SUN in a distant galaxy! That's a killer birthday if you ask me!
Yeah but he was on board the shuttle and was flying towards a frozen rock while this was happening:P

reddevil18
October 25th, 2009, 05:27 PM
More powerful posters then you have tried and failed.
But I have determination on my side. I shall not be distracted from my quest to destroy you, no matter...
Oh, look...Something shiny...

jelgate
October 25th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Those Greer coins were worth every penny

EvilSpaceAlien
October 25th, 2009, 05:29 PM
But I have determination on my side. I shall not be distracted from my quest to destroy you, no matter...
Oh, look...Something shiny...

I support you because you appear to be very determined. http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/roslin/roslin016.gif

reddevil18
October 25th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I support you because you appear to be very determined. http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/roslin/roslin016.gif
Thank you. Having the backing of ABBA means a lot to me...:mckay:

EvilSpaceAlien
October 25th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Thank you. Having the backing of ABBA means a lot to me...:mckay:

I frakking hate ABBA. http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/adama/adamaanime005.gif

reddevil18
October 25th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Well, ABBA hate you too.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Well, ABBA hate you too.

Who gives a frak? http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/starbuck/starbuckanime003.gif

reddevil18
October 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Who gives frak? http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/starbuck/starbuckanime003.gif
ATTABOY! Healthy attitude! ;)

Confessor Rahl
October 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Doh!

Hmmm... he flew VERY close to a sun in a distant galaxy and went shopping for a new apartment? :rolleyes:

reddevil18
October 25th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Close enough...:p

EvilSpaceAlien
October 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
What was this thread about again?? Oh yeah! Rileys birthday.

Happy Birthday Hunter Riley!

We are still talking about this so there's no need for you mods to come here and smite us. ;)

reddevil18
October 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM
We are still talking about this so there's no need for you mods to come here and smite us. ;)Well, maybe they can just smite you... http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon-pancarte01.gif

prion
October 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Gee, somehow I see a Happy Birthday on this show as a portent of doom. He'll probably get blown up or something now ...

reddevil18
October 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Gee, somehow I see a Happy Birthday on this show as a portent of doom. He'll probably get blown up or something now ...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! He's listed for most of the season. I hope he doesn't go the way of Grodin...

neiljward
October 25th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Happy Birthday Mr Riley

EvilSpaceAlien
October 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Gee, somehow I see a Happy Birthday on this show as a portent of doom. He'll probably get blown up or something now ...

I heard that he was going to be in the season finale. I hope that the information is correct.

Eternal Density
October 25th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hunter Riley is an awesome name, up there with the likes of Daniel Jackson, imho.
I don't think we see anyone ever say Happy Birthday to Daniel... not on his actual birthday, that is.:vala:

Sifr
October 25th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Riley obviously rules.

He is blatantly our Walter and Chuck.

But, it'd not be so bad if he was our Siler, you know, the indestructable System Lord of Gate Chaos...:rolleyes:

Cold Fuzz
October 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I forgot to actually post an actual happy birthday wish so here it is, with a big freakin' cake. After all, 30 is a significant number. And yes, Hunter Riley is a cool name!

http://msp326.photobucket.com/albums/k411/hortibob/birthday_cake.gif

Encoder
October 26th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I wonder if he was born in October, would explain his wishy-washy nature!

Librans rule, we just rule equally and harmoniously :P

mjwalshe
October 26th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Hilarious! I'm glad Riley is going to be around for a while. I get a feeling that TPTB wouldn't make a point to mention his birthday at least twice with the intention of just killing him off. That would definitely piss me off. ;)

well just as long as he doesnt start showing pics of kid/wife/dog - thats a shure fire way of buying the farm

s09119
October 26th, 2009, 06:28 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! He's listed for most of the season. I hope he doesn't go the way of Grodin...

Don't talk about Grodin! Saddest character death next to Janet and Jacob in the entire franchise for me =/ I loved him.

reddevil18
October 26th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Don't talk about Grodin! Saddest character death next to Janet and Jacob in the entire franchise for me =/ I loved him.I liked him too. I always hoped he'd be a better-developed Walter and then they friggin killed him! So I hope Riley doesn't follow suit...

IcarusAbides
October 26th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Don't talk about Grodin! Saddest character death next to Janet and Jacob in the entire franchise for me =/ I loved him.
What about poor beckett, i thought that was pretty sad.

jelgate
October 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM
What about poor beckett, i thought that was pretty sad.

That was cheapen by a cliche

IcarusAbides
October 26th, 2009, 04:44 PM
That was cheapen by a cliche
Perhaps, i suppose it wasn't that sad an exit, it was just the characters' exit that i was most saddened by.

Cold Fuzz
October 26th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I wonder if he was born in October, would explain his wishy-washy nature!

Librans rule, we just rule equally and harmoniously :P

If the show is operating on "real time" in a manner of speaking, Riley would have been born between October 2nd through the 4th in 1979.

Interesting that you mentioned air signs, especially since the show premiered in October and the premiere was entitled Air. COINCIDENCE?! :jack_new_anime05: *cues dramatic music*

Encoder
October 26th, 2009, 06:07 PM
If the show is operating on "real time" in a manner of speaking, Riley would have been born between October 2nd through the 4th in 1979.

Interesting that you mentioned air signs, especially since the show premiered in October and the premiere was entitled Air. COINCIDENCE?! :jack_new_anime05: *cues dramatic music*

*Inserts dramatic music: Dum dum daahhh!!!!*

Seahen
October 26th, 2009, 09:00 PM

Are there any AD/Prior Service/Military Buffs who could help me out on this one?

-Adren

I've been wondering this too. I got out about 2 years ago and from what I understand, having an E-4 NCO rank (buck Sgts) was discontinued in the AF around 1991. The AF is the only service not to have an E-4 NCO rank.

The modern Air Force has no "Buck Sergeant" anymore, so this does not follow reality. I think TPTB dropped the ball on this one, and also having everyone call Greer "Sergeant" even though the Marines never shorten ranks.

Well, everyone for the most part calling him Sergeant are AF who don't know better. ;)

That's because there are three airmen ranks and the rest are sergeants of some sort. But yes, it's an error. An E4 (Riley's insignia) is called a senior airman.

There's 4 Airman ranks:

E-1 Airman Basic (no stripes)
E-2 Airman (1 stripe)
E-3 Airman 1st Class (2 stripes)
E-4 Senior Airman (3 stripes)

reddevil18
October 26th, 2009, 10:35 PM
*Inserts dramatic music: Dum dum daahhh!!!!*

Riley's a cylon!

Cold Fuzz
October 26th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Riley's a cylon!

In a subsequent episode, after the cylon revelation, Riley meets Eli in his quarters. In a hushed and serious tone, he says: "Eli, I have something to tell you. I'm not really a cylon. I'm a woman."

Riley then bolts out into the hallway and comes back...une femme.

Later on in the episode, he comes back to Eli again and says. "Eli, I'm not really a woman, I'm a horse."

Riley then spontaneously morphs into a horse, complete with an equine snort.

Eli is obviously shocked and virtually speechless.

Riley then says, "Eli, this time the truth. I'm a broom." Good old Hunter dons his final transformation and then plops to the floor with a thud.

Eli looks incredulously at the broom and says, "Frankly Hunter, I am supwised."

;)

Encoder
October 27th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Riley's a cylon!

Riley is Papa Smurf! Just wait for it, you'll see!

Cold Fuzz
October 27th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Hmm, Riley's got a very cool birthday thread on Light. Maybe that should be merged with this thread?

spinny magee
October 27th, 2009, 01:44 AM
If they don't keep Riley then I will be rather........ how to put this in a professional way....cheesed off?

Cold Fuzz
October 27th, 2009, 01:45 AM
If they don't keep Riley then I will be rather........ how to put this in a professional way....cheesed off?

Oh I mentioned that I'd be seriously pissed off if they killed off Riley a couple of times already in other threads. :D He's definitely a keeper and far too interesting to eliminate.

MattSilver 3k
October 27th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Riley's an interesting support character!

Just wait, you'll all see!

jcoy
October 27th, 2009, 04:07 AM

-Adren

This bothered me too after I noticed it during his Kino video.

The best explanation I can come up with is that he was promoted just before the evacuation and hadn't gotten new insignia for his uniform yet. I doubt Icarus base had a BX and even if they did they're always running out of SSgt stripes. His new stripes/uniforms where probably in the cargo hold of the Hammond.

I know it was probably just a costuming error, but it bugged me enough to be distracting.

I guess it's possible that he hasn't been promoted yet and everyone is just calling him sergeant early, but you'd think at least one person would still call him Airman Riley or at least Staff Sergeant Select Riley.

reddevil18
October 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
From the "Water" sneak clip, I loved him. Both the exchange with Greer and what he said to Young.
"Spencer wanted to have a look in the tank."
"Why?"
"He's a crazy person..."

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Spoiler tags please!! :(

Cold Fuzz
October 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I was trying to find some cool pictures of the SGU cast members when I stumbled across this very interesting picture.

http://www.phtheatre.org/images/menandmap.jpg

I personally think that at some point, Riley should go with the goatee. Maybe we might see it in an alternate reality episode. :nox:

Cold Fuzz
November 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Spoilers for "Earth."

Riley earned some serious respect points from me in this episode. He placed himself at significant risk to protect the ship and crew in order to fix that coolant leak. His injuries looked substantial. :( I really hope his role isn't diminished in the coming episodes and that Colonel Young or another character gives him some recognition for helping to protect the ship and crew.

Pharaoh Atem
November 7th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Spoilers for "Earth."

Riley earned some serious respect points from me in this episode. He placed himself at significant risk to protect the ship and crew in order to fix that coolant leak. His injuries looked substantial. :( I really hope his role isn't diminished in the coming episodes and that Colonel Young or another character gives him some recognition for helping to protect the ship and crew.earth

he def got banged up but i'm sure he'll still be around

Cold Fuzz
November 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Actually...

When I first saw that scene with the coolant leak on live TV, one of the first things I thought was, "Oh no, they better not have Riley into a redshirt just right now!" ;)

Infinite-Possibilities
November 8th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Can anyone clear up for me exactly what he did? He rushed into the room tot fix the leak or something, but did he actually accomplish something with it? I'm not sure what they showed. I know he was trying to save the ship, but my first interpretation was that he foolishly rushed into a dangerous situation and was hurt in the process.

Cold Fuzz
November 8th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Can anyone clear up for me exactly what he did? he rushed into the room tot fix the leak or something, but did he actually accomplish something? I know he was trying to save the ship, but my first interpretation was that he foolishly rushed into a dangerous situation and was hurt in the process.

He was trying to fix the coolant leak. The piping ruptured and he was severely injured because of the backlash. Brody very likely fixed the leak and dragged Riley to the infirmary.

major davis
April 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM
NOOOOOO. Dont let this thread go dead. Riley will be back. Hes alive don't worry!!!!!

carmencatalina
April 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
I have firm hope that, once the second half of the season begins (tonight!) we will see our good man Riley back and healthy. I love that character!

(In fact, the so-called "secondary" characters on SGU are all just made of awesome!)

spinny magee
April 2nd, 2010, 11:51 PM
Sounds of things he's still recovering but OK for now, IMDB has him staged for Incursion part 2, but we all know how wack that can be

Mealla McAllister
April 3rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
At one point Mallozzi confirmed that he will come back.

E writes: “Will we ever see Riley again?”

Answer: Yep. He’ll be fully healed of his injuries in the back half.

Cold Fuzz
April 4th, 2010, 02:23 PM
At one point Mallozzi confirmed that he will come back.

That's good to know. I was starting to wonder if Riley became a semi-permanent vegetable if he suffered serious head injuries.

The Swarm
April 11th, 2010, 07:56 AM
It would suck if they did kill him off...right now secondary characters like Volker, Caine and Riley are the only thing that makes SGU decent for me, becouse the main characters(except for RUsh ofc.) are badly writen.

yanna
April 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I noticed Riley straight from the beginning. Most episodes in the first part of the season bored me half to death. Riley was the one character that I was looking for and the first character besides the main character who got my attention and had me wanting to find out his name. I'm glad we'll be seeing him again. He's just too cute!

PS. I'm glad he wasn't in Divided because he may have brutalised unarmed civilians like Greer and James who are now dead to me.

Control_Chair
April 19th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I am a fan of Riley too, but I have a bad feeling about him for the series finale, don't know why I just have.

MattSilver 3k
April 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I am a fan of Riley too, but I have a bad feeling about him for the series finale, don't know why I just have.

Oh God, I can just imagine it:

Riley walks into the Mess, grinning like a fool for once. Chloe and Eli look shocked and appalled at his seeming happiness.

Eli: "Riley, man, what's going on?"

Riley: "I'm healed! Motor functions 100%, and now I can get back to work!"

Eli: "Okay... this happy Riley is really odd, but surprisingly pleasant. I say we put him in charge!"

Chloe: "I'll say! Look at him - all sexy and manly-like..."

Riley's grin widens as he skips along the hall. Women suddenly want to be with him, and men suddenly want to follow him in battle. He arrives in the Gate Room as it activates.

"Well this is weird," he quips.

Out of the gate comes... HOSTILE ALIENS! Then they shoot him with their phasers repeatedly until all that's left is a dark smudge on the wall and TJ going, "Damn, and I wasted all that medical equipment to save his life last time..."

Control_Chair
April 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Riley walks into the Mess, grinning like a fool for once. Chloe and Eli look shocked and appalled at his seeming happiness.

Eli: "Okay... this happy Riley is really odd, but surprisingly pleasant. I say we put him in charge!"

Riley's grin widens as he skips along the hall. Women suddenly want to be with him, and men suddenly want to follow him in battle. He arrives in the Gate Room as it activates.

Out of the gate comes... HOSTILE ALIENS! Then they shoot him with their phasers repeatedly until all that's left is a dark smudge on the wall and TJ going, "Damn, and I wasted all that medical equipment to save his life last time..."

Something like that yes :(

Mealla McAllister
April 20th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Ah, no! :(

Kermee
April 20th, 2010, 03:05 PM

:lol: Best post I have read today!

MattSilver 3k
April 23rd, 2010, 11:00 PM
:lol: Best post I have read today!

Why thank you.

But...
I've never been more glad to be wrong. Riley returned in his first outing since Earth (Kinosodes aside) today in Human. Yay Riley!

caia caecilia
April 24th, 2010, 04:59 AM
All Riley fans must watch the new kino webisode it's fabulous ... really made me laugh :)

Cold Fuzz
April 24th, 2010, 11:42 PM
All Riley fans must watch the new kino webisode it's fabulous ... really made me laugh :)

First of all, welcome to GateWorld. :) The new kinosode with the purple dye was hilarious. :lol:

Camasi
April 26th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Ok there is just one MAJOR detail that i can not stand about Riley... and it is only because i am in the Air Force lol.

He is definitely not a Staff Sgt. (Air Force does not have a Sgt. Rank.. you think the stargate series would get this freaking right now.. this is about as bad as the premiere episode of SG-1 where they had an officer wearing ssgt stripes as well!)

If i recall correctly.. Riley is actually wearing the rank of Senior Airman. Unless he was recently promoted and was unable to sew the rank on before Icarus was attacked! Now he is suffering from an identity crisis!

If someone else has pointed this out already then i apologize in advance.

Camasi
April 26th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Yes they do. Their are multiplr sergeant ranks

He is right.. he is definitely wearing the rank pin of a Senior Airman and there is no Sgt. rank in the USAF. When you say "there are multiple sergeant ranks" you are probably referring to staff sgt.. master sgt. tech sgt. chief master sgt. etc. There is no rank in the USAF that is simply "Sgt." That is only in the Marines and Army.

SGU needs to fix that soon. It is embarrassing.

JustAnotherVoice
April 26th, 2010, 03:32 AM
The proper form of address for a Staff Sergeant in the USAF is "Staff Sgt." or just "Sgt" isn't it?

Perhaps Riley was promoted recently, but hasn't had time (being on Icarus and all) to get his new stripes? /grasping

Control_Chair
April 26th, 2010, 03:58 AM
First of all, welcome to GateWorld. :) The new kinosode with the purple dye was hilarious. :lol:

Kino 24

Here is the link if anyone is intrested, it is really funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh7U034arDM

Egle01
April 26th, 2010, 08:51 AM
SGU needs to fix that soon. It is embarrassing.IIRC, then someone told about it to JM and he even replied something.

caia caecilia
April 28th, 2010, 08:24 AM
SPOILER ALERT

Hope that's enough space..

Mod insert : Spoiler for "Human".:)

I just read the transcript of "Human" and Riley has a line...he's back yea :). Also I read that at the Destiny baby shower for TJ his present is the best. I'm glad they didn't kill him off I just hope he gets more on screen time.

MattSilver 3k
June 10th, 2010, 02:00 PM
This thread deserves a little more life just for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0at8CP0oiPY

There are four Kinosodes (Exclusive to DVD, these ones) in that one video, and one that goes from 4:10 onwards is all Riley, in which Haig Sutherland delivers the most awesomest heartbreaking little speech here. I wanted to hug him.

And, dammit, he got messed up pretty badly in Incursion Part 1. Hope he survives the rest of the season.

Cold Fuzz
June 11th, 2010, 10:58 PM
This thread deserves a little more life just for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0at8CP0oiPY

There are four Kinosodes (Exclusive to DVD, these ones) in that one video, and one that goes from 4:10 onwards is all Riley, in which Haig Sutherland delivers the most awesomest heartbreaking little speech here. I wanted to hug him.

And, dammit, he got messed up pretty badly in Incursion Part 1. Hope he survives the rest of the season.

The part about not being able to take his nephew to school was incredibly sad. Not being there for him and the people he cares about...heartbreaking. :(

MattSilver 3k
June 11th, 2010, 10:59 PM
And now...

He's pretty much dead. I think I saw him get like three bullets to the center mass in the final firefight in the episode.

Cold Fuzz
June 11th, 2010, 11:12 PM
And now...

He's pretty much dead. I think I saw him get like three bullets to the center mass in the final firefight in the episode.

I actually re-watched that scene in slow-motion. He was definitely in the room with TJ, took at least one bullet and then fell to the ground.

TENTHIUS
June 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Yep. I asked JM and he confirmed that. :(

Cold Fuzz
June 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Yep. I asked JM and he confirmed that. :(

I know Haig Sutherland is supposed to be in season 2. But I hope it's not a 1-2 episode stint...just so we can watch Riley die. :S

OutandAboot
June 19th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Happy Riley

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4194/largefullsizesgu0120064.jpg

GateroomGuard
June 19th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Happy Riley

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4194/largefullsizesgu0120064.jpg

That is terrifying. I feel like the next thing I'll see is Riley swinging an axe towards my head. Maybe thats how they'll take back the ship, Psycho Riley.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/XXXevilgrinXXX/desktops/th_3e141698.jpg (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/XXXevilgrinXXX/desktops/3e141698.jpg)

entropy_maximum
June 21st, 2010, 10:37 PM
I know Haig Sutherland is supposed to be in season 2. But I hope it's not a 1-2 episode stint...just so we can watch Riley die. :S

I've been checking his IMDB page to see what he is credited for and he's only listed for the first two eps of the second season so that has me thinking that's all he'll be in for. Which really makes me sad.

Cold Fuzz
June 21st, 2010, 11:19 PM
I've been checking his IMDB page to see what he is credited for and he's only listed for the first two eps of the second season so that has me thinking that's all he'll be in for. Which really makes me sad.

:(

mi_guard
September 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM
just came across to this picture and wanted to share:

http://stargate.mgm.com/assets//Still/1276534844/12337/large-FullSize-sgu0120-0644xb.jpg

pookey
September 15th, 2010, 10:33 PM
cute:D and see my avvie, thats what i will look like if they dont bring him in for more epi's:(

Cold Fuzz
September 28th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Ah...

The good sergeant is still very much alive. :D

Pharaoh Atem
September 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Ah...

The good sergeant is still very much alive. :D

praise BAG!!!

Cold Fuzz
September 28th, 2010, 09:50 PM
praise BAG!!!

:indeed: He's got a big old bloody gash on his head but he's still ticking.

Pharaoh Atem
September 28th, 2010, 09:58 PM
:indeed: He's got a big old bloody gash on his head but he's still ticking.

i still don't understand what hit him? was it a bullet graze? or a piece of the wall?

Cold Fuzz
September 28th, 2010, 10:06 PM
i still don't understand what hit him? was it a bullet graze? or a piece of the wall?

After reviewing the season finale again, I think there was a ricochet from a bullet and he caught a piece of it on his left temple. If he received a direct hit, he would have been dead otherwise. It's funny, but he keeps getting banged up. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets hurt again next week. :lol:

pookey
September 28th, 2010, 10:45 PM
After reviewing the season finale again, I think there was a ricochet from a bullet and he caught a piece of it on his left temple. If he received a direct hit, he would have been dead otherwise. It's funny, but he keeps getting banged up. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets hurt again next week. :lol:Yipeeee,:D not about the wound, but the fact he's alive:D:D

MattSilver 3k
September 29th, 2010, 03:28 AM
He's still alive. WOO!

Egle01
September 29th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets hurt again next week. :lol:I'd surprised only when it's not a head injury.

xxxevilgrinxxx
September 29th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I'm glad to hear he;s alive but he makes such an unlikely damsel in distress, always getting injured....They killed Riley! has a definite South Park feel to it

KEK
October 2nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
From the "Water" sneak clip, I loved him. Both the exchange with Greer and what he said to Young.
"Spencer wanted to have a look in the tank."
"Why?"
"He's a crazy person..."

curious*

Pharaoh Atem
October 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
big spoilers for season 2 aftermath

Riley's dead :(

and it TOTALLY SUCKS he was one of the best characters on sgu

morbosfist
October 5th, 2010, 08:17 PM
*clears throat*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! How could they? Of all the people, I figured the Siler/Walter analogue would be the one guy they wouldn't kill. Damn that was sad. Why, oh why?

You'll be missed, Riley.

GateroomGuard
October 5th, 2010, 09:23 PM
*clears throat*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! How could they? Of all the people, I figured the Siler/Walter analogue would be the one guy they wouldn't kill. Damn that was sad. Why, oh why?

You'll be missed, Riley.

'This' timeline's Riley died. There are thousands of other timelines going on in Stargate where Riley is alive and well. That's the timeline I will worry about now, the GateroomGuard Timeline, where everything I want to happen happens. And by the shows own science my timeline exists in the show ;)

Cold Fuzz
October 5th, 2010, 10:31 PM
big spoilers for season 2 aftermath

Riley's dead :(

and it TOTALLY SUCKS he was one of the best characters on sgu

The number of times Riley had near-brushes with death made me think that he was somehow going to make it back to Earth. The character's death was upsetting to me for a 3 big reasons.

First, he reminded me of a friend who died in a terrible accident almost 8 years ago. :( He too had that cool sarcasm and wit.

Second, Riley was one of the main reasons I watched SGU. Of the many characters they've got on the show right now, he was very high in terms of likability. The way he chose to go was admirable. The whole time he was in pain, he thought of the welfare of the crew. If only certain other characters could be so selfless. Some of the characters on the show are frankly downright unlikable at the moment, which brings me to reason number 3.

He didn't have to die. If Rush had decided to be truthful in the first place about finding the access code to Destiny's systems, the shuttle accident would never have happened. Gloria was correct that Rush's negligence was directly responsible for the accident. But Rush rationalizes the whole thing away, as usual, because he believes that Young is unfit for command. Well his negligence and concealment of the truth pretty much reveals that Rush himself is definitely unfit for command. It's ironic that he claims that that Young is mentally unstable. Young isn't the one talking to 2 people inside his mind right now. Rush is using "the greater good" as a pretext to use the crew and the ship to further his personal agenda. Incredibly selfish I think, which is diametrically opposed to Riley's caring for the crew even in his final moments.

Regardless of what I think or feel about what happened, Riley is gone. :( The only thing that can be done is to say that he will be missed.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8844/rileyinthedarksmall.jpg

RIP Sgt. Hunter Riley *somber salute*

Meshakhad
October 5th, 2010, 10:47 PM
He will certainly be missed.

Doorlocks
October 6th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I'm so sad about Riley. He was one of my favorite characters ever since the first episodes when his message/kino confession was essentially, "None of my relatives have even been outside of our home state, and now I'm on a spaceship in another galaxy. No regrets." It was so simple, and about twenty times more badass than anything any of the other characters said. I really wish that the writers had chosen to replay that rather than the pretty typical one they played tonight.

He will indeed be missed.

Cold Fuzz
October 6th, 2010, 02:53 AM
For those who have seen Aftermath...

this is a link (http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show-patrol/2010/10/stargate-universe-exclusive-haig-sutherland-and-the-life-of-riley.html) to a very good article about Riley's fate and Haig Sutherland.

pookey
October 6th, 2010, 06:37 AM
what can i say,:( *(^^%$£*((&^£"**&^%:mckay:

KEK
October 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM
It was heartbreaking at least though, really well done.

caia caecilia
October 6th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Oh well, guess I won't be watching Stargate Universe much anymore :(

mi_guard
October 6th, 2010, 04:00 PM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091008171009/stargate/images/thumb/1/1b/HunterRiley.jpg/250px-HunterRiley.jpg

Billz
October 7th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Just read the article on Stargate Wiki.

Riley! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

He was an awesome background character. :(

xxxevilgrinxxx
October 7th, 2010, 07:44 AM
The number of times Riley had near-brushes with death made me think that he was somehow going to make it back to Earth. The character's death was upsetting to me for a 3 big reasons.

First, he reminded me of a friend who died in a terrible accident almost 8 years ago. :( He too had that cool sarcasm and wit.

Second, Riley was one of the main reasons I watched SGU. Of the many characters they've got on the show right now, he was very high in terms of likability. The way he chose to go was admirable. The whole time he was in pain, he thought of the welfare of the crew. If only certain other characters could be so selfless. Some of the characters on the show are frankly downright unlikable at the moment, which brings me to reason number 3.

He didn't have to die. If Rush had decided to be truthful in the first place about finding the access code to Destiny's systems, the shuttle accident would never have happened. Gloria was correct that Rush's negligence was directly responsible for the accident. But Rush rationalizes the whole thing away, as usual, because he believes that Young is unfit for command. Well his negligence and concealment of the truth pretty much reveals that Rush himself is definitely unfit for command. It's ironic that he claims that that Young is mentally unstable. Young isn't the one talking to 2 people inside his mind right now. Rush is using "the greater good" as a pretext to use the crew and the ship to further his personal agenda. Incredibly selfish I think, which is diametrically opposed to Riley's caring for the crew even in his final moments.

Regardless of what I think or feel about what happened, Riley is gone. :( The only thing that can be done is to say that he will be missed.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8844/rileyinthedarksmall.jpg

RIP Sgt. Hunter Riley *somber salute*

*lip trembles*
crap, dammit Cold Fuzz! He will definitely be missed and fourth paragraph? Yeah, that exactly

DJsGirl
October 7th, 2010, 06:44 PM
This really upset me and is what has kinda made me a bit anti Rush. Just like at the end of last season when Young did not vent the atmosphere as he should have. Rush was out of line sending them. This one is solely his fault. I still kinda like him but he lost some major points with this one.

And I will miss HR. too bad

blueintegraboy
October 8th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Like SG1 and SGA before it (and with SGU sort of), there is a chance of an 'alternate' Riley. He could be re-written in the show. In sci-fi, nobody really dies.

MattSilver 3k
October 8th, 2010, 10:01 AM
:/

Dude was my favourite supporting character from the get-go. I'll miss him tons. Saw it coming, but circumstances surrounding it were great (and both Rush and Young got a little guilt out of it), and as far as Stargate character deaths go, he got a pretty damn good one. No exploding tumours or anything. Just death by Rush being neglectful and Young being merciful.

"What happened to being smart?" - Hunter Riley, SGU Runtime: October 2nd, 2009 - October 5th, 2010.

GateroomGuard
October 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM
:/

Dude was my favourite supporting character from the get-go. I'll miss him tons. Saw it coming, but circumstances surrounding it were great (and both Rush and Young got a little guilt out of it), and as far as Stargate character deaths go, he got a pretty damn good one. No exploding tumours or anything. Just death by Rush being neglectful and Young being merciful.

"What happened to being smart?" - Hunter Riley, SGU Runtime: October 2nd, 2009 - October 5th, 2010.

Sadly Riley forgot his own statement. If you have a lot of poignent dialog early in an episode and are a secondary character under no circumstances do anything other than lock yourself in your room until the episode is over. It happend to Frasier, Beckett, and now Riley. :(

Pharaoh Atem
October 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM
[IMG]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091008171009/stargate/images/thumb/1/1b/HunterRiley.jpg/250px-HunterRiley.jpG]

I shall miss him greatly

DJsGirl
October 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I still miss Riley. Is that odd? Funny, I almost expected to watch SGU tonight being that it's Friday.

ciannwn
October 9th, 2010, 08:21 AM
He wasn't just my favourite character - he was the only one I liked and could believe was a real person.

I won't be watching this episode on Tuesday (I'm in the UK) I'll be too annoyed about him being killed off to appreciate anyone's acting even if they're giving an award winning performance. This doesn't mean I'll never watch it if Sky repeats the season some time, though.

Pharaoh Atem
October 10th, 2010, 08:44 PM
aftermath pic spam

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season2/202-Aftermath/screencaps/normal_sgu_202_1055.jpg

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season2/202-Aftermath/screencaps/normal_sgu_202_1054.jpg

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season2/202-Aftermath/screencaps/normal_sgu_202_1094.jpg

"(

Egle01
October 11th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Like SG1 and SGA before it (and with SGU sort of), there is a chance of an 'alternate' Riley. He could be re-written in the show. In sci-fi, nobody really dies.No, never, please. His death was a tragic and sad event, but bringing him back would only diminish it. Let him stay dead, and rest in peace.

I always loved his sense of humor. And I bet it's going to be so sad to watch pre-"Aftermath" episodes where Riley is. :(

ciannwn
October 11th, 2010, 05:31 AM
His death was a tragic and sad event, but bringing him back would only diminish it. Let him stay dead, and rest in peace.

They've resurrected Franklin, Rush's wife and a dead baby. Why should poor Riley miss out? :p :p

xxxevilgrinxxx
October 11th, 2010, 08:46 AM
No, never, please. His death was a tragic and sad event, but bringing him back would only diminish it. Let him stay dead, and rest in peace.

I always loved his sense of humor. And I bet it's going to be so sad to watch pre-"Aftermath" episodes where Riley is. :(

In my rewatches of earlier episodes, this is going to be something that really stands out for me, making Riley even more important than he is now

Egle01
October 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM
They've resurrected Franklin, Rush's wife and a dead baby.But have they really?

ciannwn
October 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
But have they really?

That's why I put :p :p after my post.

If Riley turns up in somebody's weird experience it won't automatically mean he's been resurrected.

Egle01
October 11th, 2010, 11:07 AM
That's why I put :p :p after my post.No kidding. :P

ciannwn
October 12th, 2010, 03:10 AM
He's got three memorials on the TV Tropes website.

Killed Off For Real (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KilledOffForReal)

You have to click the open/close all folders to see the entry for him.

He's also mentioned in this topic - click the open/close all folders for the entry.

Big Breasts Big Deal (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigBreastsBigDeal)

I left the best to last.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StargateUniverse

He's listed as an Ensemble Darkhorse (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EnsembleDarkhorse).

Generally, it's used to describe a side character making up part of the Ensemble, either a non-lead secondary character or a mere Flat Character, who can sometimes become unexpectedly popular with the fandom (sometimes, even more than the lead characters) depending on who and where the fandom is.

ciannwn
October 12th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I didn't look far enough down the Stargate Universe page on TV Tropes. Riley also qualifies for -

Heroic Sacrifice (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroicSacrifice)

Mercy Kill (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MercyKill)

Power Perversion Potential (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowerPerversionPotential)

Tear Jerker

He got a lot of tropes for a character who was only in a few TV/kino episodes.

Control_Chair
October 13th, 2010, 09:38 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! My favourite character is dead, I can’t believe he is actually gone, but I had a bad feeling about his future from the very beginning, something just told me he wouldn't last long into the second season :(

ciannwn
October 13th, 2010, 10:03 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! My favourite character is dead, I can’t believe he is actually gone, but I had a bad feeling about his future from the very beginning, something just told me he wouldn't last long into the second season :(

This story me feel a little bit better. Imagination can be a wonderful thing.

Someone Watching Over You (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6380298/1/Someone_Watching_Over_You)

Cold Fuzz
October 14th, 2010, 01:03 AM
This story me feel a little bit better. Imagination can be a wonderful thing.

Someone Watching Over You (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6380298/1/Someone_Watching_Over_You)

Thanks for posting the link to that story. Very interesting theory regarding Franklin and his role with what's going on. I also liked Riley standing up to Rush. :D

ciannwn
October 14th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks for posting the link to that story. Very interesting theory regarding Franklin and his role with what's going on. I also liked Riley standing up to Rush. :D

I did as well. The great thing about the Stargate fictional universe is that it includes alternate universes. There will be many AUs where Riley's still alive and well so Riley fans can always go to one in their imagination.

Cold Fuzz
October 14th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I did as well. The great thing about the Stargate fictional universe is that it includes alternate universes. There will be many AUs where Riley's still alive and well so Riley fans can always go to one in their imagination.

I'm usually not a fan of alternate universe stories but this particular one was well-done and points toward some very interesting things with Dr. Franklin. And of course, Riley is alive and well. :)

ciannwn
January 10th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Still missing him. :(

pookey
January 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
me too:(

mi_guard
January 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Still missing him. :(

me too:(

in that case this is for you:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/mi_guard/other%20SGU%20except%20RC/6a01348361f24a970c0148c7662dbc970c-.jpg

ciannwn
January 10th, 2011, 12:17 PM
in that case this is for you:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/mi_guard/other%20SGU%20except%20RC/6a01348361f24a970c0148c7662dbc970c-.jpg

Thanks for the pic.

pookey
January 10th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Thankyou dear:D

hirokung
January 27th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I look Season two very sad. :(

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/ijackiechani/hunter.jpg

hirokung
January 27th, 2011, 05:33 AM
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/ijackiechani/hunter-2.jpg

hirokung
January 27th, 2011, 05:34 AM
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/ijackiechani/hr.jpg

ciannwn
January 27th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I look Season two very sad. :(

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/ijackiechani/hunter.jpg

He does look sad in that pic. A great memorial to him.

PS: Just seen the other two pics. Love those as well.

hirokung
January 29th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Riley Return !!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk2YkjtwYSo

Stargate Universe - Kino 32 - Horrible Accident

Love Riley , Love Riley :D

ciannwn
January 29th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Riley Return !!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk2YkjtwYSo

Stargate Universe - Kino 32 - Horrible Accident

Love Riley , Love Riley :D
Thanks for posting it. I hadn't seen it before.

I'll be missing him all through the second half of the season. :(

hirokung
January 29th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Right, he died in ep 2 he missing it.

:(

pookey
January 29th, 2011, 03:38 AM
it was nice to see that kino epi again, he has such a lovely smile *sighs*

ciannwn
January 29th, 2011, 03:46 AM
it was nice to see that kino epi again, he has such a lovely smile *sighs*

Lovely eyes too.

hirokung
January 29th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Blue Eyes ... I like , I like

ciannwn
January 29th, 2011, 04:17 AM
One thing I noticed is that he wasn't forgotten and never mentioned again. Not that it's any consolation.

Mardus
September 21st, 2011, 04:45 AM
Patrick Gilmore posted a new mini-reunion picture of SGU cast:
http://twitpic.com/6dn85g
IMO, as this was the most shining picture of Haig Sutherland, I wanted his fans know about it.

ciannwn
September 21st, 2011, 05:17 AM
Patrick Gilmore posted a new mini-reunion picture of SGU cast:
http://twitpic.com/6dn85g
IMO, as this was the most shining picture of Haig Sutherland, I wanted his fans know about it.

Thanks for posting this.

pookey
September 21st, 2011, 06:14 AM
damn, i got a 404 error not found :(