Event Horizon = " The puddle" ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event Horizon = " The puddle" ???

Since when do they (according to Daniel Jackson in the video) call the event horizon a "puddle". I mean I get the whole reference to why they named the Atlantis shuttles 'puddle-jumpers', but I can't for the life of me ever recall them (especially Daniel Jackson) dubbing the event horizon 'puddles'.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
    MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Yeah.. what happened to "The Old Orifice" ?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hermiiod View Post
      Since when do they (according to Daniel Jackson in the video) call the event horizon a "puddle". I mean I get the whole reference to why they named the Atlantis shuttles 'puddle-jumpers', but I can't for the life of me ever recall them (especially Daniel Jackson) dubbing the event horizon 'puddles'.
      They called it that several times throughout SG-1 at least. Atlantis I'm not sure about.
      I don't remember specific episodes though.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
        They called it that several times throughout SG-1 at least. Atlantis I'm not sure about.
        I don't remember specific episodes though.
        I hereby contend that you are illogical.

Ha!

Comment

Yeah, I always thought they named them puddle jumpers as a reference of crossing the Atlantis Ocean to get to the mainland, a la on Earth saying someone is "across the pond." I don't recall anyone ever calling the event horizon a puddle. Sam called it a Kawoosh once, but that be it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
            Yeah, I always thought they named them puddle jumpers as a reference of crossing the Atlantis Ocean to get to the mainland, a la on Earth saying someone is "across the pond." I don't recall anyone ever calling the event horizon a puddle. Sam called it a Kawoosh once, but that be it.
            No, no, no... the "kawoosh" is the name of the kawooshy-thingy not the event horizon itself....
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kawoosh_side.jpg

Comment

No, no, no... the "kawoosh" is the name of the kawooshy-thingy not the event horizon itself....
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kawoosh_side.jpg
              Yes, thanks, I know, I just didn't know what else to call it other than a Kawoosh. And they named it for the production company who does the graphics.
              sigpic

Comment

This caught my attention straight away too. Don't recall this being used in SG-1 before. Maybe they used it because it simply sounds nice. We also musn't forget that SGU is aimed at a larger audience, not just Stargate fans. I guess "puddle" is simpler than "event horizon". Well not for the fans but for the new viewers or fans-to-be.

Comment

My thought on seeing it was "Daniel's never called it that before" but it didn't really bother me. I can assume that SG-1 may have used the term in more informal setting such as when not on missions. And after all, Sam did once use the term 'kawoosh' which I think was derived from fandom, so why not puddle? And of course there's the puddle jumper angle too.
                  "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                  Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                  Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                  Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                  Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Daniel Jackson was just trying to be cool and hip like the kids. It's like when someone in their fifties uses terms like "badunkadunk" or "weaksauce."

Comment

i thought the puddlejumper's name was because it went through the puddle, ie the watery EH of the gate.

the EH looks like water, it has been mentioned the ring of standing water etc, and i do believe it was called a puddle once. it makes sense to me atleast.

mostly they talk about "going through the gate" so it's possible the puddle is what they actually called it when talking about the EH. then again, carter being the scientist always talked about an event horizon.

Comment

Working...
                      X