Where's the crew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's the crew?

Umm, why isn't anyone asking where the original Destiny crew is? Are they in suspended animation somewhere on board? Abandoned ships should make everyone nervous because, well, they're abandoned for a reason.

When Rush was looking through the computer he found out that the Ancients never came. The he says its probably cuz they ascended first. Most likely the plague stopped them from being able to.

Comment

Destiny and all the other ships used to seed Stargates throughout our Universe are all automated, so no need for a crew.
      The Ancients supposedly had planned on inhabiting Destiny at some point but they discovered ascension first and yeah like RepliVeggie said the whole plague thing too.
      The timings are bugging me a little though.

Comment

Me too. The Ascension thing only happened 10k years ago or so. You mean to tell me that the ship wasn't designed to last that long? What happened did it decay this bad in 10k years? Did the Ancients just procrastinate? Kinda wonky.

Comment

Odd questions, since it was clearly explained that a crew never inhabited the ship, and that before the ancients discovered ascension, they planned on gating aboard the destiny at some point in the future.
          Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

I think this ship is just another of the Ancient's experiments: perhaps they did fully intend to return to this ship, maybe with a full mainance crew, but between Ascenstion, the plauge and the whol Atlantis fiasco, they never did it.
            But someone should work out a timeline for the Ancients....lots of wholes.

Comment

Maybe they just forgot about the destiny, and only had the gate adress.

Comment

What if. One day the Ancients dialed the Destiny. And found it to be in such bad condition it couldn't be repaired. So they decided to use an Atlantis class city ship to explore the Destiny's route.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
                  What if. One day the Ancients dialed the Destiny. And found it to be in such bad condition it couldn't be repaired. So they decided to use an Atlantis class city ship to explore the Destiny's route.
                  Maybe? Scott did mention when looking at the screen that the Destiny had been to Pegasus. Dose that mean that the Pegasus gate network was seeded by one of them Automated gate building ships? Therefore meaning that Atlantis style gates predate the Destiny's gate? Since the gate ships would have been built first, logically.

Or maybe Pegasus was originally seeded with SGU style gates then replaced with the newer Atlantis ones at a latter stage in Ancient history?
                  sigpic
                  Banner Made By Me for Me
                  The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                    Or maybe Pegasus was originally seeded with SGU style gates then replaced with the newer Atlantis ones at a latter stage in Ancient history?
                    I imagine the replacement idea is a much more likely answer. As they made improvements, they upgraded the gates and as they moved on, they left the older models behind.

The progression being something like this:
                    • Destiny leaves from Earth, following ships distributing prototype gates with 7 & 8 symbol addresses, or 7 symbol addresses with one 8 symbol address per galaxy (one primay per galaxy, many secondary).
                    • Ancients develop better gate tech, and upgrade gates in the Milky Way to SG-1 style gates.
                    • While upgrading gates, they explore nearby galaxies, including Pegasus.
                    • While exploring Pegasus, they awaken the Wraith and move their focus there to deal with the threat.
                    • War breaks out, newer electronic/no moving parts gate technology is discovered and Pegasus gate system upgraded. Milky Way abandoned by this point, so is left with the second version gate tech.
                    • Atlantis abandoned.
                    • Destiny discovered by humans.

As such, the Destiny is still following a ship distributing first model prototype gates, while the previous gates were upgraded as the Ancients saw fit.

As far as where the crew are, the characters already explained it, to an extent. I think what might have happened as well (given the comment about it having been through a battle) was that the Destiny was indeed manned at some point, but got into, fought and won a battle (causing the damage) and the Ancients abandoned it, intending to go back and repair it, but failing to due to the war with the Wraith. That would explain the state of the air scrubbers (they were operating during the battle, and afterwards until the Ancients abandoned ship) and would also give the whole "Destiny was in a battle" comment some kind of a point.

Comment

And what was imperfect in the original gates? Why was change ALL the gates in MW ?
                      Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                      SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X