PDA

View Full Version : 'Light' (105) General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 [3]

JadedWraith
October 25th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I guess I need you to elaborate on what you mean. As in, what do you mean by "Eli had no clue they were going to crash into the Sun"?

I think the only people that knew right away were the people in the shuttle, and the rest were told in that scene in the gate room?

Bah, I'll just wait for you to clarify as I'm probably not remembering something.

The scene on the bridge when Eli says he doesn't regret coming there but he might by the end of the day and Rush points out "they won't be there by the end of the day"...
So he can calculate a trajectory for the shuttle but not the exact moment the Destiny crashes into the sun?

Coronach
October 25th, 2009, 12:38 PM
The scene on the bridge when Eli says he doesn't regret coming there but might by the end of the day and Rush poinst out "they won't be there at the end of the day"...
So he can calculate a trajectory for the shuttle but not the exact moment the Destiny crashes into the sun?

Hmm, I really don't think Eli was being serious in that scene. In fact, the inflection in his voice clearly suggests he was being facetious or sarcastic...which makes a lot of sense in context.

The transcript says this:

WALLACE: Actually ... (he narrows his eyes as if surprised at what he's about to say) ... I'm not.

(He qualifies his response.)

WALLACE: Yet! (He laughs.) I'll probably be sorry at the end of the day, but ...

It was, at least to me and everyone else I've talked to, more a figure of speech than anything else. In his remaining moments before he thought he was going to die, he was trying to let Rush know that he's not sorry he got involved in all of this. It was an experience unlike any other, and (bar the impending death thing) one he could have only dreamed of.

Skydiver
October 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
wouldn't the probable time of impact change?

it's one thing to know you're gonna hit a sun, another to figure out the increasing pull of gravity, thus increasing speed, of your trajectory to the sun

JadedWraith
October 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hmm, I really don't think Eli was being serious in that scene. In fact, the inflection in his voice clearly suggests he was being facetious or sarcastic...which makes a lot of sense in context.

The transcript says this:

It was, at least to me and everyone else I've talked to, more a figure of speech than anything else. In his remaining moments before he thought he was going to die, he was trying to let Rush know that he's not sorry he got involved in all of this. It was an experience unlike any other, and (bar the impending death thing) one he could have only dreamed of.

Yes, it was a figure of speech and he was trying to use humour but he also made it clear he didn't had any idea how long they actually had. Which I found it odd for the Math Boy.

it's one thing to know you're gonna hit a sun, another to figure out the increasing pull of gravity, thus increasing speed, of your trajectory to the sun

Indeed but the same laws would apply to calculate the trajectory of the Shuttle, where they used the planet's gravity to accelerate it towards the Destiny.

kymeric
October 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah it didnt sound like Eli knew anything about gamma rays, solar winds or anything. But trajectories are easy XD

Wib
October 25th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I hadn't been blown away by the show so far, I have enjoyed all the eps but I was never like "WOW" or "Oh my god" at anything, until light. It was obvious the ship was going to power up from the sun, but to go inside!!!!!, and the effects were amazing. I realise all this has been said before but I haven't the stamina to go through the 25 previous pages, and find something new to add. I'm finally starting to like Greer. In the previous episodes I didn't think much of him but he was very good in this episode, and I'm glad we've now found out why he was in detention in AIR. The scenes between him and Young, and his Kino message were very heartwarming, to me anyway. Looking forward to next week, hopefully there will be a lot of Lt. James:).

PG15
October 25th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I'm still considering this. I find it to be true. It's realistic and believable. You said it well. However, I still stand my ground on the
fact that we needed more transition and still need a bit more explanation. Where was the sound? We never heard them talking until
afterwards. I just wished we had gotten like four or five lines of explanation.

I like your interpretation. It's a good, logic, well-thought out explanation, but do you really feel this was clear on the screen. I don't
think so. I still think Chloe's line needs more than just a line. If it was that direction they wanted to take it, no problem at all, but
I'm not convinced, and so are a lot of others it seemed. Good explaining on the being "a guy" though. :)

Good point. Like I said, it took me a few minutes to understand that that's probably what they're trying to get across, so unless I'm just unobservant (is that a word?), I don't think it was that apparent onscreen.

SSJPabs
October 25th, 2009, 03:02 PM
If you're for sure going to fry, do you really want to know when it's going to happen to the minute? Why waste your last minutes figuring that out when you can be spending it with a girl?

Eli's comment made sense to me.

Krisz
October 25th, 2009, 03:21 PM
For me, the moment that stands out, and really got me was Col Young taking his wedding ring off and the tear falling, said so much in that fraction of time on screen. I'm not a sentimental person generally, but if what the writers and producers of SGU are saying the show is aiming for with characterisation are moments like this, then for me they are succeeding!

A great episode all round. I approached my viewing of SGU with no expectations, watch it with an open mind. I continue to be happy to tune in every week. :)

Saquist
October 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM
The ship was inside of a star, with minimal life support....it is distinctly possible that it was getting *rather* warm inside;)

No, ma'am, Newtonian physics and Gravity are easily predictable by math, why his projections were wrong is short of logic. The sun is no different a gravity well as Jupiter and the Voyager space probes were calculated to approach not just the planet...but to also to pass through Jupiter's MASSIVE magnetic field which is more powerful than the sun's.

Like I said. Not everything was perfect.
The show still tends to do things for the sake of drama which can potentially drop one out of the reality they are attempting to get us to buy, but this is a minor problem this time.

He seemed to be off by as much as 8 hours.

Vapor
October 25th, 2009, 03:44 PM
What was that scene with Eli on Earth, on his beedroom?
Why was he thinking on that?
What do you think of this scene?

I love the scene. It's definitely random, which works in this case because I think that people in this situation would have to be drifting off to past experiences on Earth with family and friends. Particularly since they thought they were all going to die.

It's also revealing about who Eli is and what his relationship with his mother was like, which I'm sure they will pick up on again later. I also love that Eli was in the same position in both the flashback and present time before he woke up.

Jper
October 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM
In reference to the beginning of Jper's megapost, I'm really liking how the show starts with Rush saying "Destiny. The design is clearly Ancient." I hope they stick with that. For me it's up there with "My name is Sydney Bristow." :P

Thanks. :) At least someone read it. Yeah, that opening sentence and scene is awesome IMHO.

I'm thinking about 45 pages worth of over-dramatisation awards.

Those awards are fantastic. I am watching you on LJ and reading those as you post them. :)

I'm not entirely sure why so many people assume that all Ancient tech will be exactly the same. Here and now, we have multitudes of pieces of technology that do similar things in similar ways, but are fundamentally different.

If the major differences between Destiny and other Ancient ships such as, say, Atlantis are making you lose sleep, consider this:

Atlantis was a manned installation/vessel, and its "crew" were probably making changes and improvements to the city's hardware and software regularly. In much the same way as we might retrofit a home built in 1910 with energy-efficient features and new technology like triple-paned windows and more efficient furnaces, the inhabitants of Atlantis would have been developing and implementing new features into their "ancient" city. They were living there; to the best of our knowledge, it was a living city with constant progress being made.

For a perhaps more relevant example, take the A-10. It's a modern aircraft, but it was designed to be both survivable and simple. No digital fly-by-wire systems, no supercomputer to offload the majority of piloting tasks, yet it shares the skies with the likes of the F-117 and F-22, which have significantly more advanced systems.

Destiny was sent out with no crew, on a mission that required it to be self-sufficient to an incredible degree. Rather than outfit such a ship with the latest and greatest in Ancient tech, it was instead fitted with older, tried-and-true technology that would guarantee the ship's ability to survive long enough to fulfill its mission. Perhaps the FTL drive on Destiny was the same technology used by Ancient ships before they discovered Hyperspace, or was simply deemed more reliable based on the designers' ignorance of how hyperspace might behave outside of the known areas of space. Look at the shuttle's drive systems as an example: they appear to be at least partially reaction-based, with visible evidence of thrust and maneuvering jets. The humble Puddle Jumper, by comparison, is largely reactionless...which I would assume is a more advanced, yet more finicky, form of propulsion.

Destiny was built to survive. It was apparently designed to refuel from one of the most constant sources in the universe: stars. Not gas giants, which might be sparse in the uncharted galaxies it was meant to travel, but the stellar furnaces that are quite obviously present in distant galaxies no matter what else might be found there. When you don't know what resources you might have, you plan for the most basic. Does that mean that Destiny can't use other fuel sources? No...but it was apparently programmed to use stars, and until the crew can truly take control of the ship, that's what it will use.

Is it magic-science? No. It's television. If we're willing to accept such basic SF conceits as artificial gravity, FTL drives, and the Stargate itself, why is it so hard to accept that Destiny isn't like other Ancient hardware? It's all about suspension of disbelief. And I, for one, am happy to do so.

I gave you some green for this post, but I just wanted to bring it back up. This is a very good post. I agree with you. Good work. Everyone should read this.

Am I the only one who has the feeling he just watched en entire episode in which almost nothing happened?

Actually.... Yes. Yeah, you're pretty much the only one. Was this a rhetorical question? I'm sorry. Seriously, how can you say nothing happened? Really? :confused:

Plus his eyes were agape with surprise when he saw all the control panels back up and working.

Yeah that too. :)

And i like how calmly Rush told Young "now would be a good time for you to trust me to fix this problem"..

Well it was about time that Rush said that.

Well done. Some of the peoples postings around here, it seems they dont put any thought into it. Yours showed you actually cared enough to make it worth the length.

Well thank you. Green! No, I certainly do care. However, I am still a bit disappointed with how TPTB handled the whole Chloe/Matt situation. Even more with the stones. I care because this is IMHO a really good new stargate series, but it seems like those are two serious downfalls. If that wasn't there this would probably be the best new SF series I've ever watched. Probably even better than SG1. However, now it isn't. So I care. I care because it is Stargate and Stargate gave me a lot. SG1 and Atlantis.

I would have to disagree a bit there; even granting some semblance of AI within the system, Destiny would have had no idea why the shuttle departed. I can't see the ship simply assuming that anyone leaving would not wish to return. Perhaps it's a bit of both: Destiny assumes that the shuttle will not return unless it is informed otherwise, perhaps in the form of a flight plan entered into the database. In that case, your argument makes perfect sense.

Yeah and also, it has been brought up that the shuttle thing might be broken, as there was no automatic docking. I would consider this as well. Seems to me as long as they don't get access to the Destiny's core systems, it will ignore the shuttle. As in, it is assuming that if the Ancients would come back aboard they could say "hi" to the Destiny and use all the systems. Then it would know the shuttle was being used for exploration, and that it would come back. Also then the docking and all would work. However, now this isn't part of the program and Destiny is just ignoring it. I think it just isn't aware of the shuttle. This part of the program it is currently following just hasn't a policy for the shuttle(s).

As for Destiny providing environmental shields and a breathable atmosphere, I think we're assuming a couple of things here that we don't have confirmation for yet. First, with so little of the ship's internal volume explored, we have no idea whether or not there is anything else that would require an atmosphere. Perhaps an arboretum, perhaps some other...passengers...who have a bit more control of the life support systems. Second, were Destiny to allow the hull breaches to remain unshielded, there would likely be widespread vaccum cementing occuring. We have no idea whether or not the ship's programming would maintain the internal environment simply to prevent such damage.

However, in Air it was confirmed that the Destiny had turned up the O2 production after they came in. So that was certainly for their benefit. Even more, normally the Destiny just used the bulkhead doors and other things as to divide the ship in zones. Shields were IMHO only activated when the humans arrived on the Destiny. Why would it otherwise have needed life-support in that closed off section. It would have been closed off from all the other parts, where you think life-support might be needed for something else. I think there are parts of the ship where Destiny allowed to be vacuum. I don't see why that wouldn't be possible or would be bad. It divided itself into sections by closing doors and hatches.

Granted, certainly, if the assumption is valid. But...once the ship's sensors detected that the shuttle was on a return vector, it might have had some idea that the passengers wanted to get back aboard. Perhaps initiating some kind of auto-docking system, as others have mentioned. Of course, it might be malfunctioning...or perhaps in all the excitement in the shuttle, a small tell-tale blinking near an unlabeled switch went unnoticed.

Yeah. I think it is likely that the assumption is valid. I really don't think that because the Destiny didn't care about the shuttle that it automatically doesn't care about its own passengers. I really think the Destiny is helping and protecting its passengers, but when they use the shuttle, are on the shuttle, the A.I. of the Destiny is just not taking the shuttle into account anymore.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Like I said, it took me a few minutes to understand that that's probably what they're trying to get across, so unless I'm just unobservant (is that a word?), I don't think it was that apparent onscreen.

Thanks for saying that. Soon I would have thought I was the only who thought this way, but yet had not seen it explicitly on screen.

Good that you put probably in italic as this is what all this discussion is about now. What was it really? And what will it be?

And unobservant is a word. :) A good word. No, I don't think you are, unless I am unobservant as well.

LoneStar1836
October 25th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Not sure this is the place for this but :

Did anyone notice that 'Jammer' from BSG was on the shuttle. He was the guy who warned Scott that the ship was coming up fast ? Also in Air pt.3 Catherine Taite (Donna Noble from Dr. Who) did a little cameo walkby in a scene towards the end where the scientists onboard Destiny were trying to figure out the Co2 scrubbers.

Easter eggs ?It wasn't the guy who played Jammer. He did look similar, but totally not him. :)

I am wondering if that was to showcase why he seems so unhindged.Well considering the situation, it wouldn't take pills to get someone "unhinged". They were about to die and the shuttle was the only way to survive. It would not have been plausible in the least if no one aggressively protested Young's decision about picking who got to go and how many.

But maybe the guy has a drug addiction or something. I thought he might have been taking them to OD or something but apparently he is in other upcoming eps.

HAL2100
October 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I'm really liking that the creators conceptualized Destiny as being 'powered by the stars' as it really, really adds a lot of depth to the overall thought that the Ancients put in to the design of the ship, along with other things. Basically, that the ship was designed to survive only on those things to be found in space - the elements of stars, elements on the planets, etc. (which if you think about it makes perfect sense since the idea was to launch Destiny unmanned, it would have to be 100% self-sufficient.)

DangerIsGo
October 25th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I agree 100%. I thought it to be a really awesome idea that the destiny is powered by the stars themselves. I thought that the Destiny was solar powered (watching during the episode ) but I never thought that it would have to fly THROUGH the stars to rejuvenate its power.

the fifth man
October 25th, 2009, 07:59 PM
For me, the moment that stands out, and really got me was Col Young taking his wedding ring off and the tear falling, said so much in that fraction of time on screen. I'm not a sentimental person generally, but if what the writers and producers of SGU are saying the show is aiming for with characterisation are moments like this, then for me they are succeeding!

A great episode all round. I approached my viewing of SGU with no expectations, watch it with an open mind. I continue to be happy to tune in every week. :)

They are doing a fine job with some of these characters. Really fleshing them out well.

Eternal Density
October 25th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I just hope Chloe gets fleshed out some more soon, in a way unrelated to flesh. I know there has to be more to her than that but we sure haven't seen much yet.

TheHomegaMan
October 25th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I watch the show Saturday mornings, so I'm definitely coming into this one late as hell.

The scenes showing those left on the ship preparing to die reminded me of similar scenes in Titanic in a big way. I absolutely loved how each person thought they were going to die, and chose to do so in their own, dignified way.

TheLastSunset
October 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
For me, this episode was perfect. And this show is turning out to be completely perfect, in my opinion.

Eternal Density
October 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM
For me, this episode was perfect. And this show is turning out to be completely perfect, in my opinion.One of us!

[edit] I just remembered: Ronon's Mission Report!
"Even 'billions of light years' from here, I can tell that Scott finally took a shower. Flying a ship into a star? The Ancestors must be crazy. End of report."

Abiron
October 25th, 2009, 09:07 PM
This is a very good post. I agree with you. Good work. Everyone should read this.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

As regards the subject of Destiny's relationship with her new crew...time will tell. I definitely hope that Destiny becomes more of a character and not simply another piece of hardware. Not in the Andromeda sense, but in the sense that the ship and the crew need each other, and that Destiny actually does take an active role in the crew's survival, even if they themselves are unaware of that role at first.

Should be an interesting ride.

Jper
October 26th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Thanks, I appreciate that.

As regards the subject of Destiny's relationship with her new crew...time will tell. I definitely hope that Destiny becomes more of a character and not simply another piece of hardware. Not in the Andromeda sense, but in the sense that the ship and the crew need each other, and that Destiny actually does take an active role in the crew's survival, even if they themselves are unaware of that role at first.

Should be an interesting ride.

You're welcome.

Well I think the Destiny is already a character now, and I share your hope that this will definitely continue. I always liked how in SGA there were episodes where the City was a real character. :)

Oh and I know what you mean. That's what the direction is I, as well, want to see it taken.

Interesting it should be. :)

JadedWraith
October 26th, 2009, 06:16 AM
No, ma'am, Newtonian physics and Gravity are easily predictable by math, why his projections were wrong is short of logic. The sun is no different a gravity well as Jupiter and the Voyager space probes were calculated to approach not just the planet...but to also to pass through Jupiter's MASSIVE magnetic field which is more powerful than the sun's.

Like I said. Not everything was perfect.
The show still tends to do things for the sake of drama which can potentially drop one out of the reality they are attempting to get us to buy, but this is a minor problem this time.

He seemed to be off by as much as 8 hours.

Yes, thanks, that is exactly my point.
Perhaps the writers should have given those lines to Chloe instead of Eli, since he should have known exactly how much time they had left.

I realise the rest of that scene was the way of the writers saying that someone with Eli's specific skill set finally had found a place where he could be useful.

As I said, I was nitpicking.

But hey, I am watching and I am paying attention. In spite of all my criticism, I truly want the show to be great.:)

Shiretoko JPN
October 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I like all of the SG series.

this episode was great.

StevenCaldwell
October 26th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Hi can someone please help me out and explain what is it that young and that other dude do when they seem to switch bodies?

its really confussing when you so ingrossed in the programe and then all of a sudded it switches to the characters.

strange

Cheers

soultaker
October 26th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I think Rush knew. I think that was the real point of the episode. We pretty much knew the ship was gonna use the sun to recharge, so the real shock was the revelation/realization that Rush more than likely knew the ship was gonna recharge.

First, please forgive my english, it's a little bit rusty.

What if...

Rush is not human... not now at least...

Let's see:

Ancients made a starship that does... what? Apparently nothing.. Come on.. a ship that does... what... receiving info of several starships that are thousand light years ahead.. for.. what purpose?

Nobody makes a ship that does nothing.

Rush always know the solution and usually point the line of thinking of the group to the direction where the group must think a little bit more to solve the situation...

Do you remember his words to Chloe after his father's sacrifice?: "During my leadership nobody is going to die in vain.." (or something like that).

Destiny it's a "controlled space".. like a peltry recipient...

It's my thinking that Rush is an ascended ancient that is testing Mankind through this particular group... What kind of testing? perhaps the same that the Asgards have done to us... I do not know that for sure.

I remember a play, but I can recall the name, that is about of 20 candidates that want to apply for a job. Between the 20 was a hidden representative of the company, just to see how the candidates behaves and work together and invidually... Watching SGU, just remember me that played.

So my friends, knowing this, if you want just watch the episodes again, and prove me wrong.

Greetings from Argentina.

Vladius
October 26th, 2009, 08:16 AM
The big question: Did Rush know what was going to happen?

He had a very, very good idea of what might happen.

Nusku
October 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Same old, same old... Do they honestly expect us to be caring about these characters?

Can't say I was disappointed as I've given up expecting entertainment and enjoyment from SGU.

This episode is the kind of episode that may work two or three seasons into a show when you've got an investment in the characters. Five episodes in, not so much...

Terribly weak writing, amazingly weak plot and with the exception of Carlyle, awfully weak acting. Carlyle must have the lions share of the acting budget because you know the old saying "you pay peanuts...". These cardboard cut outs couldn't act their way out of a wet paper bag.

This weeks action: the tough guy lamps a dissenter.

This rubbish isn't even worthy of a low budget daytime soap slot on Channel Z. The production team should stick to what they know as they clearly have no clue as to how to go about producing a BSG derivative sci-fi drama. They are failing so hard it hurts.

In summation: tedious, vapid, prosaic, apathetic trite. Five episodes and I'm pretty sure the stage has been set. What a waste of a sci-fi production budget...

Now I'll look through this thread and see what you lot think.

xnitexmarex248
October 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
is why they didn't use the Ancient stones to bring in experts. Not even just for guest spots for actors we love but just... logistically. Instead of constantly having "the wrong people", couldn't they just switch them out temporarily with the experts from the SGC in order to get the ship running nicely and such. Especially with the "Light" episode. Maybe even some more people who can actually READ Ancient. It just doesn't make sense to me why they didn't do that from the start. Like I understand why they didn't as a show, because it's a new, separate entity and all, and having bigger-name actors costs a lot, but... still... Anyone else feeling this?

reddevil18
October 26th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Rush can read Ancient. I suppose no one assumed he'd lie about them...you know, heading towards a sun and dying.
No one could pull air, water and power from nowhere, so any experts would be useless.

Jper
October 26th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Hi can someone please help me out and explain what is it that young and that other dude do when they seem to switch bodies?

its really confussing when you so ingrossed in the programe and then all of a sudded it switches to the characters.

strange

Cheers

I don't really understand the question, but the stones were never used in this episode, so no-one switched. :)

If you want to know something else, could you maybe tell us which episode you're talking about because Young switched multiple times with Telford.

renboy
October 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM
^ What he said.

Though I do wonder about TJ - since she complains so much that she doesn't have enough knowledge about some medical problems, they can bring in some real doctors to fix up everybody... sure they might need some special equipment - but they can at least diagnose or operate better then TJ...

danny.d
October 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM
i don't think the IOA or anyone is up to it would risk the life of some very valuable people for some people who are lost anyway, they are "bilion light years" from earth, with no way of coming back

Mongoletsi
October 26th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I have thought this also. McKay and Zalenka would be ideal, with their years of Atlantis experience, they could easily have swapped with some "less useful" folk on Destiny for a few hours at least.

reddevil18
Well, there haven't really been major medical emergencies so far, so I can even see why not even a real MD came...

Mongoletsi
i don't think the IOA or anyone is up to it would risk the life of some very valuable people for some people who are lost anyway, they are "bilion light years" from earth, with no way of coming back
What's that got to do with the price of fish?

danny.d
October 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM
What's that got to do with the price of fish?
sorry for being stupid but english is not my first language and i don't understand exactly what are you trying to say

renboy
October 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Well, there haven't really been major medical emergencies so far, so I can even see why not even a real MD came...

Hmm yeah...
Though Young's first condition was kinda alarming (with the head trauma and all)... but I guess things were so hectic at that time, that even after Rush revealed that he has the stones, it didn't occur to them to get some help over.

Oh well. Maybe later.

Hermiiod
October 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I have thought this also. McKay and Zalenka would be ideal, with their years of Atlantis experience, they could easily have swapped with some "less useful" folk on Destiny for a few hours at least.
Agreed. I'm also thinking a good cook would be nice well they're at it.

stahscream
October 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM
i'm thinking the comm-stones could become the new zat-gun; a plot device that could be used WAY more often that it will be to save the day (i.e., bring in mckay to fix some insane problem no one else can do).

altho i dont think they'll use the stones too much in that regard, since it would take away from the show

Nusku
October 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Seriously you were impressed by this idiocy and "real science"?

So... let's recap... the gates use naquada ... atlantis uses a ZPM... but this ship uses "solar power" from "collecting a star"...

Our own sun:

1) It's "core" tempature is over 10,000,000 degrees. No metal is surving that and the entire logic of a "shield" surving that seems to be at odds with shield technology from atlantis which one would assume would be significantly more advanced. The idea of any ship surving entry into the core of a star is idiotic at best.

2) The star like any star in the universe is made up of mostly hydrogen and helium... odd that 100K+ years later we need special ZPM's and naquada and insanly rare hard to produce technology when 100K+ years ago the ancients just needed the 2 most common elements in the entire universe to travel faster then light and power a shield capable of actually traveling into a star.

3) The idiocy of "rush knew" ... seriously? So his master plan was to get 17 people off the ship with as much supplies as possible so he could... have the ship... with... less people on it... and.... less food/water/supplies... because... he's ... evil...

Idiotic.

If the next episode was just rush laughing evily, chloe and a random guy ****ing and eli recording people this board would probably declare it the best stargate episode ever.

Tim

Quoted for truth; all of it!

In my posts on this board I've given an opinion on pretty much every aspect of the show except the science; because I am a science guy and I know that a lot of the "science" in Stargate is in the realm of pure fantasy.

But come on, an electromagnetic shield that can maintain the structural integrity of a ship in the heart of a star (or anywhere even close to a star), that really takes the p**s. What an insult to the viewers intelligence.

Ah, the gay best friend...A woman's most prized accessory. Not even billions of light years away would Chloe give hers up...Even if he's not really gay.

Hahaha.

jelgate
October 26th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Quoted for truth; all of it!

In my posts on this board I've given an opinion on pretty much every aspect of the show except the science; because I am a science guy and I know that a lot of the "science" in Stargate is in the realm of pure fantasy.

But come on, an electromagnetic shield that can maintain the structural integrity of a ship in the heart of a star (or anywhere even close to a star), that really takes the p**s. What an insult to the viewers intelligence.

Lost in space did it:P

I don't see what the big deal is. SG1 and SGA has suffered worse abuse while near sun

The_Asgard_live
October 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Rush can read Ancient. I suppose no one assumed he'd lie about them...you know, heading towards a sun and dying.
No one could pull air, water and power from nowhere, so any experts would be useless.

Actually, is it not established that Carter can pretty much fabricate anything by modifying Asgard tech? Also that with the Ancient/Ori head grabbing device that they can also assemble anything starting at a molecular level? You'd think they would want someone aboard trying to unlock the ships systems and see if there are any devices that can be modified in that way. After all, Asgard tech seems to be based on Ancient. Destiny is Ancient, and the Ori are the same species and similar tech.
Further more, the seeder ships obviously have some sort of fabrication devices, they are making the stargates are they not?

Seems completely unrealistic now that they've saddle themselves with the stones that they would not be used in this manner. So, lets add some realism and bring on the smarties and see what funky mods they can make.

Meshakhad
October 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Best episode so far. This episode could easily have fallen into the trap of fake suspense, with the episode spent trying to find a solution, and they come up with one just before they fall into the star. Instead, they focus on the reaction to imminent doom. The lottery was handled with all the seriousness it deserved.

The scenes after the shuttle's departure showed how people react when they know for sure that they will die. Many turned to religion. Some tried to enjoy their time as best they could (the poker game, or Rush and his book). Eli and Chloe, not a couple but definitely friends, found comfort in each other.

Now, I was still expecting Rush to have a last-minute flash of brilliance to save himself - it's what I would have done if I were writing the episode. But what happened instead was not only a completely unexpected solution, but a completely awesome one. Destiny comes through to save the day. And we now know one thing for certain - Destiny is pretty much indestructible.

This episode wasn't perfect. But what it did have was an outstanding A-plot, and a truly incredible payoff.

Also: Greer. He had two great moments. One was his speech at the beginning, which gives his character serious depth. If anyone asks me how I want to die, my answer is now "flying into a sun". The other was knocking out the guy who rushed Young. This is when you want a trigger-happy soldier around.

Mongoletsi
October 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I'm guessing there'll be some retcon to explain that, actually, the stones don't work so well because blah blah etc.

kara58
October 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Same old, same old... Do they honestly expect us to be caring about these characters?

Can't say I was disappointed as I've given up expecting entertainment and enjoyment from SGU.

This episode is the kind of episode that may work two or three seasons into a show when you've got an investment in the characters. Five episodes in, not so much...

Terribly weak writing, amazingly weak plot and with the exception of Carlyle, awfully weak acting. Carlyle must have the lions share of the acting budget because you know the old saying "you pay peanuts...". These cardboard cut outs couldn't act their way out of a wet paper bag.

This rubbish isn't even worthy of a low budget daytime soap slot on Channel Z. The production team should stick to what they know as they clearly have no clue as to how to go about producing a BSG derivative sci-fi drama. They are failing so hard it hurts.

In summation: tedious, vapid, prosaic, apathetic trite. Five episodes and I'm pretty sure the stage has been set. What a waste of a sci-fi production budget...

Now I'll look through this thread and see what you lot think.
I agree 100%.

I have been looking forward to SGU since it was first announced and I thought that with Robert Carlyle and Lou Diamond Phillips in the cast that they couldn't fail. But I like sci fi to be about beating superb enemies like the Goauld and the Wraith. I enjoy fast paced action and really dont care about any of these boring characters so far.

To date in each episode there has only been about 10 minutes that have been interesting at all. I will continue to watch for a few more weeks in case it improves.

P-90_177
October 26th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I am really tired of the idea on atlantis that McKay or any human for that matter can figure out how to fix any problem or create any piece of technology even based around a civilisation thousands of years ahead of us. It's why I learned to hate atlantis and why I despise the 304's.....I don't mind them bringing over scientists over from time to time. Seeing Carter, McKay, Zalenka or even kavanaugh would be cool but in no way do I want them to be able to fix everything in the ship and make rush look like an idiot. I don't want the ship to be fixed. I want them to be able to explore more of it yes but I don't want them to be able to use asgard like devices to reconfigure matter or be able to use every piece of ancient tech or even understand every piece of ancient tech.
Destiny is for the most part a bit of a mystery and I want it to remain that way. I want it to be this magical ship that they're struggleing to understand but just can't. Basically like Atlantis SHOULD have been.

Besides everything else when you get down to it, do you think many people even care about Destiny? Yeah the IOA and SGC aren't going to just abandon them all alone without any help but when you get down to it there's sure to be more pressing concerns back on earth that take up the time of the experts (which lets face there can't be that many of). 80+ people aren't all that important. And even Destiny isn't all that important. Afterall they have Atlantis with the complete ancient Database.........Destiny means diddly squat to everyone except Rush.
Hopefully what will happen is that at some point or another the Stones will be destroyed or something and they'll lose contact with earth completely. To be honest I don't want this to be for a while cos I like the dynamic it brings to the show to have people swap over. But eventually it may get a little old and when that happens it'll be time to wave good bye to the stones.

Mortock42
October 26th, 2009, 11:29 AM
...Five episodes in, and I am glad I have spent the time watching them all!

Yes yes yes, pretty much everyone knew that the sun would recharge the ship, so when it actually did recharge the ship and everyone lived, it wasn't really a surprise. BUT, I love to know how things work, and showing just how the ship has been able to stay powered all this time pleased me greatly. Seeing this, I think harnessing the power of a star is the same way the Ancients originally "charged" their ZPM's.

Stunning visuals! The more I watch this show, the more eye candy there is for me to devour. From the warm glow of the sun coming through the windows of the living quarters, and the depiction of the surface of the star from the viewing deck, and even how the shuttle looks in flight---Awesome! Hopefully the show didn't blow their special effects budget on the first half of the season and we get to see more in the upcoming episodes...

And oh..the drama! Chloe and Scott? Eli's envious stare? Greer knocking-out the mutinous soldior? Juicy...
To me, Chloe really seems to me the type of person who has had the support of her parents for most of her life and had really never been alone or "by herself". Because of this, it was only natural to see her latch onto the closest person for support. This has come so far in the form of wanting Eli to stay with here while she showered, and her fling with Scott. It seems she is merely reacting to the situation the only way she knows how and is unable to fully deal with reality yet. Just like the rest of the crew, she is afraid and unsure of the future, so she sees no need to plan too far ahead. For instance, will I get Herpes from Scott? Will Eli freak out and flush someone out an air lock? None of these issues matter for her at the moment, but maybe she will develop a little more strength of character in the future when the crew figures out how to survive and she becomes a little bit more secure.

And as far as Rush being evil and plotting to rid the ship of some crew? Naa. Rush is a nerd, and letting people think he might be some sort of dangerous fiend is the only way he knows how to get respect (I think). He has put up too many walls in his life, and it seems he will continue doing so for some time.

The only thing I want to know is why has Scott been the only male character to get some action? To be fair, some other (non female) characters should participate a little bit more in showing the sexual side of human nature in this show. I would have been happy with seeing a few other members of the crew "couple-up" and have a wrestling match when the others were playing cards or praying..

danny.d
October 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Besides everything else when you get down to it, do you think many people even care about Destiny? Yeah the IOA and SGC aren't going to just abandon them all alone without any help but when you get down to it there's sure to be more pressing concerns back on earth that take up the time of the experts (which lets face there can't be that many of). 80+ people aren't all that important. And even Destiny isn't all that important. Afterall they have Atlantis with the complete ancient Database.........Destiny means diddly squat to everyone except Rush.

that's what i was trying to say

TheHomegaMan
October 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Same old, same old eh? I think I missed the "we're on a collision course with a star, so let's see how we deal with a lottery to see who escapes" episode. Could you point it out to me? Thanks!

Oh, you meant that this was more of what we've expected from SGU? Thank God. Some of us were beyond sick of "shoot the bad guys, have a quick team moment, roll credits" format. As for TPTB's expectations? Something tells me they aren't expecting much from the "you cancelled SGA, therefore SGU sucks" crowd. Nice sig!

So shoot the bad guys now, focus on characters later? If they have to wait until a second or third season to focus on the characters, I'd be mighty concerned about whether or not there's any development going on beforehand. Seeing how they react to impending death or survivor's guilt is one way to build investment in characters. Of course, not being predisposed against the show is also required. Did I mention how awesome your sig is?

Specifics?

This week's lesson: you don't need action to tell a story. This episode was about facing death, people trying to undermine the system to survive (that "dissenter"), survivor's guilt, and saying goodbye (even if the Chloe/Scott scene was... less than stellar).

Action was unnecessary.

I laughed at this one. Hyperbole, thy name is Nusku.

reddevil18
October 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Actually, is it not established that Carter can pretty much fabricate anything by modifying Asgard tech? Also that with the Ancient/Ori head grabbing device that they can also assemble anything starting at a molecular level? You'd think they would want someone aboard trying to unlock the ships systems and see if there are any devices that can be modified in that way. After all, Asgard tech seems to be based on Ancient. Destiny is Ancient, and the Ori are the same species and similar tech.
Further more, the seeder ships obviously have some sort of fabrication devices, they are making the stargates are they not? Except that they don't have any of that fancy technology on board. No matter how smart Carter is, she still can't pull crap out of her ass. Well, okay, she could...but it's a different kind of crap I'm referring to. The seeder ships might have advanced manufacturing capabilities, but to assume that the Destiny does as well is silly.
The best she could do would be to enter a search string into the computer or imputing their information, hoping for the ship to come up with "ZPMs in the left hand cupboard" or something - which is what Rush did, when the ship dropped out of FTL for them to fix the scrubbers. There is a physical limitation to what anyone can do, regardless of their intellect, when there are no raw materials to work with.

Abiron
October 26th, 2009, 01:24 PM
...After all, Asgard tech seems to be based on Ancient.

Ah...no. Asgard technology is not at all based upon Ancient. The Asgard may have learned a few things from their research into the Ancient database, but by and large their technology is not borrowed from anyone (that we know of). It is the Goa'uld who are the masters of reverse-engineering the tech of others, and most of them don't seem to bother with anything beyond weapons and other terror-inducing items.

In particular, Asgard beaming technology, energy-to-matter conversion, and their ludicrous-speed hyperdrives are far beyond anything we've seen from any other race, including the Ancients and the Ori.

bluestrike
October 26th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Drama: Check
Emotion: Check
Plot Devices: GREEN
SUSPENSE: OFF THE SCALE

Light was perfect in almost every way.
Good Job Writers...Finally...

Worst show on TV: Check!

bluestrike
October 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Seriously you were impressed by this idiocy and "real science"?

So... let's recap... the gates use naquada ... atlantis uses a ZPM... but this ship uses "solar power" from "collecting a star"...

Our own sun:

1) It's "core" tempature is over 10,000,000 degrees. No metal is surving that and the entire logic of a "shield" surving that seems to be at odds with shield technology from atlantis which one would assume would be significantly more advanced. The idea of any ship surving entry into the core of a star is idiotic at best.

2) The star like any star in the universe is made up of mostly hydrogen and helium... odd that 100K+ years later we need special ZPM's and naquada and insanly rare hard to produce technology when 100K+ years ago the ancients just needed the 2 most common elements in the entire universe to travel faster then light and power a shield capable of actually traveling into a star.

3) The idiocy of "rush knew" ... seriously? So his master plan was to get 17 people off the ship with as much supplies as possible so he could... have the ship... with... less people on it... and.... less food/water/supplies... because... he's ... evil...

Idiotic.

If the next episode was just rush laughing evily, chloe and a random guy ****ing and eli recording people this board would probably declare it the best stargate episode ever.

Tim

Well said.. I could not agree more...

Replicator Todd
October 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM
You know, its kinda odd to be posting in a thread of a show you don't like.

The_Asgard_live
October 26th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I am really tired of the idea on atlantis that McKay or any human for that matter can figure out how to fix any problem

Were you bothered when math boy human calculator saved the day?

I want them to be able to explore more of it yes but I don't want them to be able to use asgard like devices to reconfigure matter or be able to use every piece of ancient tech or even understand every piece of ancient tech.

Yeah, but, reality is, its established they have that tech and people who know how to use it. It stretches credibility to the point of breaking that they are not offering intellectual assistance through the stones.

but when you get down to it there's sure to be more pressing concerns back on earth that take up the time of the experts (which lets face there can't be that many of). 80+ people aren't all that important.

??? This is one of the reasons why I say they are writing this horribly. In order to make excuses for what we have seen so far people have to propose theories like the SGC would consider 80+, scientists, military, and civilians as collateral damage. And that expending intellectual energy (without fear of danger) is too much effort to try to save them. When in the shows history has that ever been the case?

They blew it with the stones, lets face it. The characters themselves keep telling you the writers blew it. "These are the wrong people..." So, quit whining, break out the magic stones and get the right ones on board.

Instead they use them for what? "We're screwed" briefings? My guess is the real purpose of the stones is to allow Scott access to more chicks to shag. He's going to work his way through the Destiny lot in short order. Requesting 3 day pass Colonel, got a date with a hot stone...

Jeff O'Connor
October 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM
People, let's wait until 'Earth' has aired before we really jump to conclusions about the stones. As a plot device, I'm not terribly fond of them either, but I have picked up enough passing mention of that particular episode's dealings to know that I think we'll get more of an answer soon enough as to why they haven't just mass-switched to the right minds.

bluestrike
October 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM
You know, its kinda odd to be posting in a thread of a show you don't like.

Heaven forbid I actually have a dissenting opinion about Stargate Universe.

The_Asgard_live
October 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Ah...no. Asgard technology is not at all based upon Ancient. The Asgard may have learned a few things from their research into the Ancient database, but by and large their technology is not borrowed from anyone (that we know of)

Specifically when I made that reference, this is what I meant

You cannot even begin to comprehend the extent of what was unfolding in O'Neill's mind. Our scientists, long ago, extracted parts of the Ancient library of knowledge and learned much from it. But we have been studying it for as long as I can remember, and we have barely scratched the surface.

Doesn't state exactly how much of their tech is based on it, but seems to imply its a good deal.

In particular, Asgard beaming technology, energy-to-matter conversion, and their ludicrous-speed hyperdrives are far beyond anything we've seen from any other race, including the Ancients and the Ori.

I don't think that is true. Re:energy-to-matter. The ring system, and the Atlantis elevators (for lack of a better word) are they not probably the basis of the Asgards beaming tech? (and to be a geek, the Aschend had some form of it as well as the Gadmeer).

Re: Hyper drive, when O'neill had the Ancient knowledge in his head he pimped out that cargo ships hyperdrive.

Except that they don't have any of that fancy technology on board. No matter how smart Carter is, she still can't pull crap out of her ass. Well, okay, she could...but it's a different kind of crap I'm referring to. The seeder ships might have advanced manufacturing capabilities, but to assume that the Destiny does as well is silly.

How does that fit with the word "silly". Its silly to assume the most advanced race we know, who has been known to have tech of that type, might have some? That's silly how? It would be silly to assume they didn't have some sort of access to life sustaining tech on the Destiny. I mean, they thought of showers right?

The best she could do would be to enter a search string into the computer or imputing their information, hoping for the ship to come up with "ZPMs in the left hand cupboard" or something - which is what Rush did, when the ship dropped out of FTL for them to fix the scrubbers. There is a physical limitation to what anyone can do, regardless of their intellect, when there are no raw materials to work with.

No, the best she could do would be to unlock the ships computer and take an inventory of what is in fact actually there instead of assume its not, like you. Maybe, Destiny can recall the seeder ships and steal some of their manufacturing resources. Once she did that, she could further assess what can be done if anything with what resources are available.

P-90_177
October 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Were you bothered when math boy human calculator saved the day?

Nope. For one very simple reason.....he didn't fix anything. I mean it literally. Like How McKay can simply tweak a puddle jumper to have a hyperdrive by using a formula that he had previously stated was way beyond him without the ascended knowledge in his brain. Or any time we humans can suddenly make something work that the ancients couldn't even do. All Eli did was do the Math....at the very most he just found a calculator on the destiny's computer.....

Yeah, but, reality is, its established they have that tech and people who know how to use it. It stretches credibility to the point of breaking that they are not offering intellectual assistance through the stones.

And if they did that all the time it would just make the show so incredibly dull.

??? This is one of the reasons why I say they are writing this horribly. In order to make excuses for what we have seen so far people have to propose theories like the SGC would consider 80+, scientists, military, and civilians as collateral damage. And that expending intellectual energy (without fear of danger) is too much effort to try to save them. When in the shows history has that ever been the case?

Never.........which is a bit crap really cos this whole "we don't leave people behind" thing, while being incredibly noble is really just an excuse to save the good guys when they're in trouble and any other plot worthy characters and all red shirts (or in stargates case any SG unit which doesn't have a 1 at the end) be damned.

They blew it with the stones, lets face it. The characters themselves keep telling you the writers blew it. "These are the wrong people..." So, quit whining, break out the magic stones and get the right ones on board.

Instead they use them for what? "We're screwed" briefings? My guess is the real purpose of the stones is to allow Scott access to more chicks to shag. He's going to work his way through the Destiny lot in short order. Requesting 3 day pass Colonel, got a date with a hot stone...

I agree that the stones aren't the best idea. I can see where they were coming from. It's an interesting idea but it doesn't work that they're not practically using it. I get that. But they're trying to seperate it from shows like voyager, BSG and the first season of Atlantis where they have no contact with home at all. From a writing perspective it's interesting but it doesn't quite work.
However so far they haven't needed any specialists like that. Every problem they've come across is something that no one could solve.......can't fix something if you don't have the resources so there's no point flying out someone like carter or mckay all the way to the pentagon to switch bodies. Rush is a very capable scientist, as is most of the people on the ship. When Young says "these are the wrong people" it isn't cos they're stupid, but you can't fix the air purifying system if you don't have anything to scrub CO2 and you can't generate more power for a ship like destiny by having McKay run in a hamster wheel..............even though that would be very funny...........

TheHomegaMan
October 26th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Heaven forbid I actually have a dissenting opinion about Stargate Universe.

Posting 1 or 2 sentences to the effect of "this show sucks" doesn't exactly make people respect your position. You know that, though, and you want to play the victim card when somebody calls you out.

Hell, most of your posts just seem to be you echoing other people. When you can form and articulate your own opinion and give reasons for it, we'll take you seriously.

jelgate
October 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Troll: Check

fumtu
October 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I have to say, when Stargate SG-1 premiered on Showtime it was one of the greatest shows I had ever seen.

It was a superb show up until about season 7. By that time just about every episode centered around either the goa'uld or the replacators. In a nutshell, SG-1 lost it's way. It was no longer about exploring the galaxy and seeing new and fascinating things. It was a soap opera with a set cast, 2 antagonists and just happened to take place in space.

Stargate SG-1 spun off Stargate Atlantis. This was even worse. Again, it was operatic with 1 antagonist and just happened to take place in another galaxy.

I have to say, Stargate Universe is the biggest piece of total and utter uslessness since the new Battlestar Galactica.

Forget the drama. Drama is not what made SG-1 great. I watched 5 minutes of the latest episode and had to turn it off. Sex, drama, and people trapped in a spaceship against their will. Gee, where have we seen that before?? umm.... BSG?

I was so rooting for the show to get back to basics. I was praying for planetary exploration. I was hoping the ONE hot chick would fall for the average guy and not the hunk. I was wishing for excitement and adventure.

I was disappointed on every level.

I refuse to continue watching this train-wreck.

Nusku
October 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Same old, same old eh? I think I missed the "we're on a collision course with a star, so let's see how we deal with a lottery to see who escapes" episode. Could you point it out to me? Thanks!

Oh, you meant that this was more of what we've expected from SGU? Thank God. Some of us were beyond sick of "shoot the bad guys, have a quick team moment, roll credits" format. As for TPTB's expectations? Something tells me they aren't expecting much from the "you cancelled SGA, therefore SGU sucks" crowd. Nice sig!

So shoot the bad guys now, focus on characters later? If they have to wait until a second or third season to focus on the characters, I'd be mighty concerned about whether or not there's any development going on beforehand. Seeing how they react to impending death or survivor's guilt is one way to build investment in characters. Of course, not being predisposed against the show is also required. Did I mention how awesome your sig is?

Specifics?

This week's lesson: you don't need action to tell a story. This episode was about facing death, people trying to undermine the system to survive (that "dissenter"), survivor's guilt, and saying goodbye (even if the Chloe/Scott scene was... less than stellar).

Action was unnecessary.

I laughed at this one. Hyperbole, thy name is Nusku.

Personal insults, jumping to inaccurate conclusions and making incorrect assumptions. Really great way to make your "point" and demonstrate what a high quality mind you possess.

Jper
October 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM
<snip>

Instead they use them for what? "We're screwed" briefings?

<snip>

:tecmate:

I agree. Seems like you're saying the exact same things as I said before. I thought it was my post you were quoting. So well said.

The stones. :tealcanime23:

:samanime27:

As I can't green you, as because of some obscure reason I'm already out of green for today, have some pumpkin pie:
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6271/22501314classpumpie.jpg

People, let's wait until 'Earth' has aired before we really jump to conclusions about the stones. As a plot device, I'm not terribly fond of them either, but I have picked up enough passing mention of that particular episode's dealings to know that I think we'll get more of an answer soon enough as to why they haven't just mass-switched to the right minds.

Really? Let's wait till Earth has aired? IMHO that will be much too late. As they did not even have four lines addressing the stones and the possible plot-difficulties. Nah, face it, SGU is good, but they screwed up this one big time. :p They still need, and hopefully they will, to address the stones, but it will always feel too late to me. One thing I feel that should really have been addressed is why they didn't already relayed messages to friends and family through the stones. They could just have had someone else, like Young, relaying them. Or why they just did not get help from Earth. Still think they would have gotten at least some help with the Ancient translation. Nah... I don't see any benefits that were obtained by the story and/or plot by the usage of those stones.

Troll: Check

What jelgate said. ^

Jeff O'Connor
October 26th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Really? Let's wait till Earth has aired? IMHO that will be much too late. As they did not even have four lines addressing the stones and the possible plot-difficulties. Nah, face it, SGU is good, but they screwed up this one big time. They still need, and hopefully they will, to address the stones, but it will always feel too late to me. One thing I feel that should really have been addressed is why they didn't already relayed messages to friends and family through the stones. They could just have had someone else, like Young, relaying them. Or why they just did not get help from Earth. Still think they would have gotten at least some help with the Ancient translation. Nah... I don't see any benefits that were obtained by the story and/or plot by the usage of those stones.

I don't really see many benefits either, but what I meant was, I think 'Earth' is going to address why the folks back home haven't just done a huge swap or anything like that. I'm not trying to defend the stones, necessarily, I'm just thinking it's still too early to hate them quite as much as I've seen.

Another thing that's worth mentioning is that in-universe (oh, the pun) only a couple of days have passed. That's hardly enough time for much of anything. I think by 'day five' or so, we'll find out just why they haven't done a massive swap to try solving the issue.

Maybe. I hope.

Aerethea
October 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM
The communication stones are there for the purpose of having guest star characters from previous franchise. Off screen they probably used the stones to get help but perhaps they weren't able to get help from either Rodney, Carter or Jackson because they're doing something incredibly important. There's always something incredibly important happening in Stargate Command :P I prefer it this way too. This will give the show a chance to be successful on its own way instead of relying on old characters from other franchise to garner more viewers.

I think I'm in the minority of the people who like the communication stones. I would like to see more of the characters from previous franchise to guest-star though of course not to the extreme as to guest-star every episode because this is definitely not a crossover.

Replicator Todd
October 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Really? Let's wait till Earth has aired? IMHO that will be much too late. As they did not even have four lines addressing the stones and the possible plot-difficulties. Nah, face it, SGU is good, but they screwed up this one big time. :p They still need, and hopefully they will, to address the stones, but it will always feel too late to me. One thing I feel that should really have been addressed is why they didn't already relayed messages to friends and family through the stones. They could just have had someone else, like Young, relaying them. Or why they just did not get help from Earth. Still think they would have gotten at least some help with the Ancient translation. Nah... I don't see any benefits that were obtained by the story and/or plot by the usage of those stones.

The Stones gets us O'Neill Cameos!:jack:
I don't mind the use of the stones, to me, it seems to be a way to simply cameos and backstory for the characters despite the fact we could be fine with just flashbacks. As long as every episode doesn't contain or reference them, I will be ok.

Jper
October 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I don't really see many benefits either, but what I meant was, I think 'Earth' is going to address why the folks back home haven't just done a huge swap or anything like that. I'm not trying to defend the stones, necessarily, I'm just thinking it's still too early to hate them quite as much as I've seen.

Another thing that's worth mentioning is that in-universe (oh, the pun) only a couple of days have passed. That's hardly enough time for much of anything. I think by 'day five' or so, we'll find out just why they haven't done a massive swap to try solving the issue.

Maybe. I hope.

Well I don't really hate the stones themselves, I hate that it hasn't been addressed that it wasn't mentioned in this episode, in Light. I really thought, now is the time to say goodbye, like Young said. Now they thought they were going to die. No, the stones seemed forgotten. :) That's what I hate, because there's no way they can go back and fix that. It is inconsistent, I would almost call it a plot hole, but then again I don't like that word anymore. As it isn't completely plot hole either, it is just stupid if there's an explanation and we haven't gotten it yet. Five lines of dialogue or twenty seconds and it could have been explained. Instead of Young visiting his wife, which was a scene that was too long imho, we could have had some explanation about the stones.

I hate the feeling that I get they just mixed in the stones because they wanted Telford and because this way it was easy to have the Earth storyline. It's a plot device in the very crude sense of the word, I don't like that. That's why I hate and I am so disappointed. I expected more and better from the writer, the original writers, who wrote, created SG1. BW and RCC were there and heavily involved, were they not? I expected more from then. I don't expect any thing from the SGA S5 staff. Also about that, The Shrine in SGA S5 I liked. And it was BW who wrote it and got a Gemini award for it. So I expected more. Something better than those ********** stones.

And yes only a few days have passed, but still they thought they were going to die, they were just sitting in their quarters, waiting for them to get picked for the lottery. They could have used the stones. They could have used the stones to call in some people who actually read Ancient, unlike the 70 people that are there and don't read Ancient.

They created a vat of problems with the stones and are now afraid to deal with it, are just ignoring it. Or they are just lazy, but I don't want to believe that.

Whatever happens even if they make this right I will always feel that it was too late, that it should have been addressed sooner and that there were better ways to get the same results. I will constantly be hoping that the stones will stop working or will be destroyed or something. For me it would make this show better, more enjoyable. This is really the issue I have with the show. The thing that has been bothering me the most. The reason why I might, possibly, in the future, stop watching. It's the difference between SGU being good, and SGU being as good as SG1.

Jper
October 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM
The Stones gets us O'Neill Cameos!:jack:
I don't mind the use of the stones, to me, it seems to be a way to simply cameos and backstory for the characters despite the fact we could be fine with just flashbacks. As long as every episode doesn't contain or reference them, I will be ok.

But like you say, they could easily do that with flashbacks. Really it would have made the show better. Fit in the flashbacks where it is appropriate for the characters. Like they did with Eli in this episode. I thought that was very well done. A short but good scene. The stones need much more explanation, at the cost of other scenes and it breaks the storyline, and both of the scenes felt wrong to me. The whole Chloe's mother thing was just plain stupid, inconsistent and maybe even badly portrayed/acted. The whole Young's wife thing was too long and too boring. It also is killing the suspense, the darkness of the series of being lost on the Destiny, far away from home.

See I don't want them, and I agree that this episode without the stones is a good one, but there's still the little voice in the back of my head that keeps saying that the stones are there. Then it actually is ignorant and stupid that they aren't mentioned. They should be mentioned not being uses.

What I would like to have seen is having the stones being used once by Rush and Young and then having some problems with them. Ill-effects, side-effects, not working properly, some of them getting lost, people arguing about them, people "fighting" to use them, maybe even some stones disappearing, or the maybe the base controller being smashed so that only the actual stones remained, or... etc. all solutions. Then it would for example be possible, when the base terminal was broken, for people from Earth to travel to the Destiny but not the other way around. Or for example, the stones not being usable in FTL, because there was some problem with that, only being usable in the twelve hours they have out of FTL. And for during the power failure to have the base terminal to have a low battery, no more power, that it needed to be recharged and that's why they couldn't use in "Light". All sorts of problems that I can come up with and can keep coming up with. However so far we've seen none.

And I could go on and on about how the stones have no benefits. I'm still waiting, after the fifth episode of the season, a quarter of the season in, to hear one benefit of the stones. Something they really needed the stones for. And don't say Telford because he's a jack*** and they could have easily put him on the ship, but severely wounded for example, or we could actually have scenes from Earth were they are trying to figure out, who attacked them, where the 80+ people are and a bunch of scientists in a room driving O'Neill and Telford crazy. You know how O'Neill gets around scientists and technobabble. :D

And so on and so forth.

garhkal
October 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Well thank you. Green!.

Your welcome..

ufgator1977
October 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Not sure this is the place for this but :

Did anyone notice that 'Jammer' from BSG was on the shuttle. He was the guy who warned Scott that the ship was coming up fast ? Also in Air pt.3 Catherine Taite (Donna Noble from Dr. Who) did a little cameo walkby in a scene towards the end where the scientists onboard Destiny were trying to figure out the Co2 scrubbers.

Easter eggs ?

Yeah, I noticed Dominic was in the cast, nice to see him again. I'm not well versed enough in the Who-verse to know Catherine Taite is.

Vapor
October 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM
"Jammer" of course, was also in SGA's "Childhood's End" as one of the elders. I believe his name was Ares. (sp?)

Oh Canada. :)

Jeff-B
October 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Just got done rewatching "Darkness" and "Light", and a couple small things occurred to me. First, the controversy here about Scott and James hooking up back in "Air". He's a Lieutenant, she's a 2nd Lieutenant. I don't know what fraternization rules are, but I don't think rank was a factor, just the fact that they were on duty at the time.

Second, the issue that they should have used the stones to get more scientists aboard to solve the lack of power problem. What would they have been able to do, read the buttons? Without power, the buttons don't do much no matter how many you hit. As evidenced by Rush pounding on the console just before he passed out.

I am now firmly convinced that Rush really didn't know for sure what was going to happen, he just gambled on the Destiny doing the right thing on its own.

I'm mainly looking forward to more exploration of the ship once they get the survival basics nailed down( "Recipes, for the love of God, recipes").

Jper
October 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Second, the issue that they should have used the stones to get more scientists aboard to solve the lack of power problem. What would they have been able to do, read the buttons? Without power, the buttons don't do much no matter how many you hit. As evidenced by Rush pounding on the console just before he passed out.

Again. For the umpteenth time. I'll say this. It's not about using the stones when the power is out, but before hand.

To quote myself:

Yeah, but people aren't suggesting to use the stones then. We/they/I are/am suggesting that they should have or would have used the stones before the power went out. Young already knew that they were losing power, it's only logical he would have reported this and should have gotten help from Earth. TPTB should at least address this. Now it looks like they are doing nothing on Earth. Completely unrealistic and unbelievable.

Skydiver
October 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
iirc, frat regs apply

when more than 2 rank steps separate them, when those involved are in the direct chain of command, etc.

Like you said, the biggest issue with scott and james is that they were, apparently, on duty at the time.

off hours and off base, no one would care that much.

GateroomGuard
October 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM
But really if only two days have passed what experts could they have gotten in that time. If Rodney is in Atlantis its not like he can just jump back to the Milky Way any time he pleases. And if Carter is commanding the Hammond its not like she can just hyperspace her way to Earth at will. Besides problems arise in the universe that don't have to be solved by Carter or Mckay.

Besides since the Icarus base was researching getting the 9nth Chevron to work wouldn't it make sense to assume that a majority of theses so called experts are already on the Destiny?

I personally like to think that disasters like this happen pretty frequently, which is why O'Neill is taking this in a rather lax way.

Young- Sir these are the wrong people...
O'Neill- Young, I've got over 40 alternate reality SG teams popping into the SGC, again. Hercules Base just sent themselves back in time to their planets stone age, Atlantis just ran out of another ZPM and the Wraith are on their way, And this is just todays news. I'm afraid our current supply of Mckay and Carter is currently being used.

The_Asgard_live
October 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM
:tecmate:

I agree. Seems like you're saying the exact same things as I said before. I thought it was my post you were quoting. So well said.

The stones. :tealcanime23:

:samanime27:

As I can't green you, as because of some obscure reason I'm already out of green for today, have some pumpkin pie:
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6271/22501314classpumpie.jpg

If I assimilated any of your thinking along the way, please consider it complimentary. I'll be sure to pay extra attention to your posts in the future, I think I'll like them :)

Thanks for the pie.

dunce_d
October 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Here are a few quick thoughts on the show so far. Sorry if they duplicate anybody else's posts but there far too many to read in one sitting;

1) The destiny's shield may not be all that everybody thinks it is. Just because Destiny was able to fly into a star doesn't necessarily mean that it is indestructible. The sun shield was able to block solar radiation, extreme heat and gravity but the shuttle passed through it twice. The sun shield seems to be tailored to this one specific task. An old fashioned rail gun could probably blow holes in the hull with no problem. Plus Rush said he had been working on the "power problem" all night so there is probably an extended start up sequence in order for the ship to do it's fuel run. The crew should not be able to flick a switch and fly into a star whenever they want.

2) The communication stones may not work the way people think. They may be affecting the personalities of the people as they switch bodies. Look at Telford's personality when he was on the Icarus base and the pentagon communication stone waiting room and compare it to when he switches bodies with Young. His interactions with people while in his own body seem a lot different from when he is in Young's. Also look at when Chloe switches bodies with that scientist (sorry, can't remember her name). When Chloe goes to visit her mother she stays relatively calm while her mother falls apart. Across the universe the doctor she has switched bodies with seems to flounder around a bit as TJ dopes Telford. It looks like the stones switch the intellect of the people but the emotional responses are determined by the body being inhabited.

3) A quick thought on the Scott/James tryst. Lt. James has not seemed to be half as emotionally invested in the storeroom interlude as Quickzip. Could it be a case of her being more attracted to the uniform than the man? The official SGC personnel wear the black uniforms (Young, TJ, Riley) while the regular army support staff wear the regular army khaki (James, Greer). We know from watching SG1 that the selection and training of new SG recruits is reserved for the best and brightest and most of them don't pass. James may have submitted several requests to be accepted into the program and been rejected or put on a waiting list. A quickie with Quickzip may not have been the romance that people think it is. As several people have pointed out Scott was still mostly in his uniform during the storeroom affair, while James was not. This may sound sexist but it wouldn't be the first time a woman slept with a man because of his status; even the ugliest rock star has his groupies.

The_Asgard_live
October 26th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Nope. For one very simple reason.....he didn't fix anything. I mean it literally. Like How McKay can simply tweak a puddle jumper to have a hyperdrive by using a formula that he had previously stated was way beyond him without the ascended knowledge in his brain. Or any time we humans can suddenly make something work that the ancients couldn't even do. All Eli did was do the Math....at the very most he just found a calculator on the destiny's computer.....

Fair enough.

And if they did that all the time it would just make the show so incredibly dull.

You know, I think I'd actually like a little boring now and again. (Boring for the characters, not me anymore) The hook for this show is that its supposed to be a realistic look right? Okay, so, I want to see some well adjusted, happy childhood, parents didn't divorce people on this ship that roll their eyes at the ridiculous drama the others get themselves into. That too would be realistic. Also, if they could beat the death clock by like say 10 minutes instead of extending it into overtime with an arm in the gate. That'd be a switch.

I don't know, I don't know what they are going to do for me on this show. Realistically, long term, they would all start to look and act like Tom Hanks in castaway.

can't fix something if you don't have the resources so there's no point flying out someone like carter or mckay all the way to the pentagon to switch bodies. Rush is a very capable scientist, as is most of the people on the ship. When Young says "these are the wrong people" it isn't cos they're stupid, but you can't fix the air purifying system if you don't have anything to scrub CO2

Well, the lack of resources for me is like the stones. It seems implausible that the Ancients that built this self sustaining ship (shower included) but life sustaining resources not so much? I feel as though I am being asked to suspend disbelief once too often.

TheHomegaMan
October 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Personal insults, jumping to inaccurate conclusions and making incorrect assumptions. Really great way to make your "point" and demonstrate what a high quality mind you possess.

edit: nevermind :)

Eternal Density
October 26th, 2009, 08:11 PM
edit: nevermind :)I was tempted to feed the troll also.

PG15
October 26th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Yes, thanks, that is exactly my point.
Perhaps the writers should have given those lines to Chloe instead of Eli, since he should have known exactly how much time they had left.

I'm not sure why this is being debated.

Did we see Eli calculate how much time he has to live? No? Ok then, he didn't do it. There's no reason why he should know when the ship hits the star.

GateroomGuard
October 26th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure why this is being debated.

Did we see Eli calculate how much time he has to live? No? Ok then, he didn't do it. There's no reason why he should know when the ship hits the star.

Eli is Math Boy, not the Human Calculator.

Mortock42
October 26th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Seeing the hole in the dome on the right side of the ship in Air makes me wonder, with a shield as powerful as the one Destiny has, how could an impact like that happen? Obviously the full strength of the shield is not maintained all of the time, or like it was mentioned in a previous post, maybe the sun-shield is only effective against protecting against heat/magentism/radiation etc. But you would think that with jets of plasma traveling at thousands of miles an hour coming from the star, the shield would protect from collisions. It almost makes me wonder if the ship had been attacked a time or two on it's journeys throughout the cosmos?

It sure would make sense that there were others out there. Maybe the Ori once sent an expedition out as well and the Destiny crossed paths with them? Or maybe the ship is just falling apart? Eh, who knows.

jaffa_CREE!
October 26th, 2009, 09:33 PM
A soap opera is STILL a soap opera, even if stagged on a run away space ship...point being I simply do not care who's doing who or why. I'm just dying for this thing to have an actual plot...so far no luck...just more tearfull "kino" confessions and slutting around in the back rooms.

It's shaky cam BSG without the cylons...3 or 4 episodes now and what have got to show for it? Hey, cool, they finally got the lights turned on. Uh...DUH...OF COURSE Destiny wanted to ram into the star, it's sick to death of carrying this whinny cast of twits.

So far my favorite character in the whole show is Destiny itself, but wait, this IS post SG1 and SGA, right? Don't we have a really good idea how to run ancient technology by now? Oh that's right, we opened a super secret 9-chevron worm hole with only janitors, cadets, felons, a couch potato game freak and one creepy scientist on hand to manage the discovery.

HELP!!! I really, really want to like this show...but I'm still not sure if it's "high school musical in space" (i.e: "will Eli finaly get a girl friend???") or if it's a real addition to Stargate mythology.

Still hopefull...

Angela V
October 26th, 2009, 10:58 PM
This is my first SGU episode. Not my fault. Was suppose to move, didn't have cable for awhile. Now stuck at my Mom's with the kids and see my husband one day out of the week. He finally hooked up the speakers to our computer for me. I thought Space would have all the current episodes on-line to view but I could only get this one to play. Grumple...

Anyway, not really knowing who anyone is on the show I was still able to enjoy it! I have been peeking in on here about reactions to the episodes and was surprised at how much I enjoyed this episode. Maybe I was just elated I could finally watch an episode! :cameron: I enjoyed the story line, the characters, the music and Oh My the ship! I love that ship! I so want to see it in HD though. Wish Space had HD since I'll be able to watch it on my Mom's cable this week.

So far I'm really liking Rush and Eli.:valaanime04:

StevenCaldwell
October 27th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I don't really understand the question, but the stones were never used in this episode, so no-one switched. :)

If you want to know something else, could you maybe tell us which episode you're talking about because Young switched multiple times with Telford.

Im i think this was the episode. Were the ship lost power. The stones were used to report the happenings on the ship back to earth.

just woundered how they worked?

jelgate
October 27th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Im i think this was the episode. Were the ship lost power. The stones were used to report the happenings on the ship back to earth.

Your consciousness just switch bodies.

Cory Holmes
October 27th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Really, really tiny hamster wheels being used by even tinier hamsters.

Saquist
October 27th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Seeing the hole in the dome on the right side of the ship in Air makes me wonder, with a shield as powerful as the one Destiny has, how could an impact like that happen? Obviously the full strength of the shield is not maintained all of the time, or like it was mentioned in a previous post, maybe the sun-shield is only effective against protecting against heat/magentism/radiation etc. But you would think that with jets of plasma traveling at thousands of miles an hour coming from the star, the shield would protect from collisions. It almost makes me wonder if the ship had been attacked a time or two on it's journeys throughout the cosmos?

It sure would make sense that there were others out there. Maybe the Ori once sent an expedition out as well and the Destiny crossed paths with them? Or maybe the ship is just falling apart? Eh, who knows.

Actually that makes me wonder if the shield was that powerful then why was air escaping in the first place? What kind a protocol is that?

"raise the shield to Partially contain the atmosphere"

A soap opera is STILL a soap opera, even if stagged on a run away space ship...point being I simply do not care who's doing who or why. I'm just dying for this thing to have an actual plot...so far no luck...just more tearfull "kino" confessions and slutting around in the back rooms.

It's shaky cam BSG without the cylons...3 or 4 episodes now and what have got to show for it? Hey, cool, they finally got the lights turned on. Uh...DUH...OF COURSE Destiny wanted to ram into the star, it's sick to death of carrying this whinny cast of twits.

So far my favorite character in the whole show is Destiny itself, but wait, this IS post SG1 and SGA, right? Don't we have a really good idea how to run ancient technology by now? Oh that's right, we opened a super secret 9-chevron worm hole with only janitors, cadets, felons, a couch potato game freak and one creepy scientist on hand to manage the discovery.

HELP!!! I really, really want to like this show...but I'm still not sure if it's "high school musical in space" (i.e: "will Eli finaly get a girl friend???") or if it's a real addition to Stargate mythology.

Still hopefull...

I know. I'm not intrested in Eli's lack of love life. It's stupid...really.
I like Eli. He should be used to waking up alone by now. But Chloe is sure to make her rounds by the end of the series.

Cory Holmes
October 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM
It's entierly possible that the shield is a generally powerful shield for combat, but only super-powerful/geared towards the heat, radiation, and magnetic field of a red-dwarf star for refueling purposes.

Mortock42
October 27th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Actually that makes me wonder if the shield was that powerful then why was air escaping in the first place? What kind a protocol is that?

I know. I'm not intrested in Eli's lack of love life. It's stupid...really.
I like Eli. He should be used to waking up alone by now. But Chloe is sure to make her rounds by the end of the series.

Good point! It sure would be silly to make this awesome shield and let atmosphere escape like that.
Maybe the shield is only effective in only one direction? That is, it is easier to get out than it is to get in? Or maybe because by that point the Destiny was low on power anyway, it was using minimal power for the shields while traveling FTL? Who knows....either way, if the shields were working right and not letting air out, they wouldn't have been able to do the scene with the senator sacrificing himself....

Also, as long as Eli has either a right or left hand, I don't think his love life will be affected by that much...

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Seeing the hole in the dome on the right side of the ship in Air makes me wonder, with a shield as powerful as the one Destiny has, how could an impact like that happen?

Obviously the full strength of the shield is not maintained all of the time, or like it was mentioned in a previous post, maybe the sun-shield is only effective against protecting against heat/magentism/radiation etc.

But you would think that with jets of plasma traveling at thousands of miles an hour coming from the star, the shield would protect from collisions. It almost makes me wonder if the ship had been attacked a time or two on it's journeys throughout the cosmos?

I think you also have to count in the fact that as long as you pump enough power in the shield you can get a quite powerful shield, however your power reserves will then diminish quite quickly and the time you'll be able to keep up the shield will severely diminish. So, the Destiny could slowly pump more and more power in the shield, and strengthen it as it flies closer and closer towards the sun. Once it is in the sun, it can use the power it collects to power the shield. So as there's an overabundance of power, it is quite possible to create a really strong shield. :)

Next to that there's indeed the possibility that this is indeed much more adapted to the fact that it should be able to resist radiation, heat, solar flares, etc.

No that was Darkness or Air. And Jelgate gave you the short version of how they work. If you want to know more I suggest reading the Stargate wikia of GW here on the subject of these stones as they came up in SG1 and SGA. Also there's a thread in the SGU Folder about the stones. How they work, what their possibilities and the downsides are.

No that's because I think you're misinterpreting this wrong, imho.
Look, you have the hull of the ship, then between the hull of the ship, which is airtight, and the shield there's a lot of vacuum, and then you have the shield.

First of all I have to wonder if the shield doesn't allow for air (O2, CO2, N2 etc) to pass.

Secondly the little shields that were sealing of the broken parts of the hull, are not the same thing as "the shield". So that would explain why there's a difference and why those little shields don't allow air to pass, but due to its inefficiency on that matter, it did leak air into the vacuum between the hull of the ship and where the actual shield would be.

The shield that protected them from the sun.

Abiron
October 27th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I think you also have to count in the fact that as long as you pump enough power in the shield you can get a quite powerful shield, however your power reserves will then diminish quite quickly and the time you'll be able to keep up the shield will severely diminish. So, the Destiny could slowly pump more and more power in the shield, and strengthen it as it flies closer and closer towards the sun. Once it is in the sun, it can use the power it collects to power the shield. So as there's an overabundance of power, it is quite possible to create a really strong shield. :)

Next to that there's indeed the possibility that this is indeed much more adapted to the fact that it should be able to resist radiation, heat, solar flares, etc.

After rewatching the episode, I noticed a few interesting things. One in particular is the display that appears in the "control room" at 32:28. For just a moment, as Young looks at the display, there is a set of "gauges" on the screen. The production folks who make the displays have apparently decided to simply transpose english characters into the Ancient font, because it can easily be translated. Most of what's onscreen I haven't tried to read, but the guage panel is labeled "Power Configuration." The four gauges are labeled "Weapons" (with 0% power), "Shield" (with around 50%), "Life Support" (with around 60%), and "Gate" (with 0% power). The fact that it's labeled "Power Configuration" leads to the obvious conclusion that power can be moved between the systems as required.

Unfortunately, we don't see the display long enough to know if those gauges are incrementing as starstuff is scooped up. But the really interesting thing, to me, is that this is when Destiny is inside the star. In other words, inside a red dwarf, the main shield can protect the ship with only 50% of its power capacity.

Secondly the little shields that were sealing of the broken parts of the hull, are not the same thing as "the shield". So that would explain why there's a difference and why those little shields don't allow air to pass, but due to its inefficiency on that matter, it did leak air into the vacuum between the hull of the ship and where the actual shield would be.

The shield that protected them from the sun.

I liken those "little shields" to the environmental fields and/or structural integrity fields that are so common on Star Trek, among other shows. I would wager that they are not a part of the shield system, but rather the life support system.

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 02:06 PM
After rewatching the episode, I noticed a few interesting things. One in particular is the display that appears in the "control room" at 32:28. For just a moment, as Young looks at the display, there is a set of "guages" on the screen. The production folks who make the displays have apparently decided to simply transpose english characters into the Ancient font, because it can easily be translated. Most of what's onscreen I haven't tried to read, but the guage panel is labeled "Power Configuration." The four guages are labeled "Weapons" (with 0% power), "Shield" (with around 50%), "Life Support" (with around 60%), and "Weapons" (with 0% power).

Unfortunately, we don't see the display long enough to know if those guages are incrementing as starstuff is scooped up. But the really interesting thing, to me, is that this is when Destiny is inside the star. In other words, inside a red dwarf, the main shield can protect the ship with only 50% of its power capacity.

Yeah, but I wouldn't put too much thought into that. As it can just as easily change later on.

Also, we have no idea what was going on before, as the display was death.

Furthermore, it seems logical to me that the shield was built (or is build? I don't think so.) with this as the main usage for the shield in mind. So I don't think it really matters. You will remember that when any ship in SG was attacked the shield drop in percentages as shots were fired upon it, but it was still holding back the shield. So seems an indication that percentages aren't really related to the function of the shield. We just don't know what those percentages are either.

I liken those "little shields" to the environmental fields and/or structural integrity fields that are so common on Star Trek, among other shows. I would wager that they are not a part of the shield system, but rather the life support system.

Oh yes, that's what I meant. And Atlantis had them too.

akuma07
October 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I know many have drawn overall similies to BSG, some I agree with, some I do not.

This episode however could have been lifted straight from the pages of a BSG script, it was a blaitant rip off.

Slow orchestral music
Completely un-neccesary sex scene
Heavy empathsis on religon
Resigned hoplessness
Pretty uneventful apart from the last few moments.

Hell I was waitng for someone to say "frak" and that would have been it, I would have just turned it off.

I know BSG was popular, and it would be foolish for the SG writter not to try and cash in on the hole left by it, but please, just a tad bit of imgination would be nice.

P-90_177
October 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I'd say the ship flying into the sun was fairly imagnative. And if you're gonna show people believing they're going to die in a short while then you might as well show them being with the people they want to be with or doing what they want to do.
Additionally I should point out that in BSG the ship was their life line......in SGU Destiny is practically their enemy.

slurredspeech
October 27th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I'd say the ship flying into the sun was fairly imagnative.

Wasn't something similar used in SGA? Ack, can't remember the exact episode, though.
Not saying I agree with the OP - I've only ever watched but a couple of BSG episode so I'm not really qualified to comment - I'm just asking, since I was reminded of it while watching Light.

No matter, either way. Overall, I actually liked this ep.

Replicator Todd
October 27th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I still fail to see the similarities between SGU and BSG.

DigiFluid
October 27th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Likewise.

And I love BSG.

akuma07
October 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Wasn't something similar used in SGA?

Most space based sci-fi have flown ships into suns for varing different reasons.

I dont think overall SGU = BSG clone, but I just felt this episode felt alittle bit too much like BSG and the shows makers should have known it.

P-90_177
October 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Most space based sci-fi have flown ships into suns for varing different reasons.

I dont think overall SGU = BSG clone, but I just felt this episode felt alittle bit too much like BSG and the shows makers should have known it.

i remember plenty of shows flying near to suns. never actually in one though. that was something new.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'm going to answer the question "is SGU simmilar to BSG?" with a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

I did not notice any simmilarities to BSG in this episode or any of them.

akuma07
October 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM

I've listed it already but I will do again

BSG was the first current sci-fi to use constant orchestral music. "Light" had almost constant orchestral music, even my GF use doesn't watch sci-fi said, isnt that the music from that other show you watch?

BSG had lots pretty pointless sex scenes, "Light" treated us to our first SG sex scene, and it was completely random and pretty pointless.

SG has never really touched on religon, it was a prominent feature in BSG and guess what you can see it slowly creeping into SGU (with the mass lords prayer)

And then Rush the only preson who seems to know whats going on but keeps it to himself and has clear ulteria motives, how very "Baltar" is that.

I'm not say the whole show is a BSG rip off, but you cannot help but notice the simlarities, even none fans can see it and I dont see the point in denying something that is right there in your face for the sake of it.

dropstitch
October 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I think some people are wilfully blurring the line between inspiration and downright plagiarism. Personally, I loved this episode. It's really starting to feel as though the show is gathering momentum now.

My only criticism was the relationship between Chloe and Scott. It seemed so unrealistic to me.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 02:57 PM
BSG was the first current sci-fi to use constant orchestral music. "Light" had almost constant orchestral music, even my GF use doesn't watch sci-fi said, isnt that the music from that other show you watch?

Actually SG1 and SGA used almost nothing more than orchestral music during their entire run. The only exceptions are the vocals used during SG1's Ori arc, and the contemporary song used in Vegas and Unending.

Battlestar Galactica's soundtrack was a bit more in the ethnic direction.

SoulReaver
October 27th, 2009, 03:00 PM
not to mention that Rush was willing to forego his only chance at survival whereas Baltar would've done everything he could to get on that shuttle (just like he got onto the shuttle that left Caprica after the attack). btw those scenes showing Baltar having panic attacks whenever his life was on the line were priceless, particularly during s1
if anything this ep clearly highlights the major differences between these two characters

Mongoletsi
October 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Slow orchestral music
Resigned hoplessness

1. Orchestral Music. This point = fail.
2. The "sex" scene was vital to the Eli-Chloe subplot
3. People said prayers in the face of death, that was it.
4. They were certain of death, what would you do?
5. Refer to #1

Glad I could clear that up :D

knowles2
October 27th, 2009, 03:17 PM
i remember plenty of shows flying near to suns. never actually in one though. that was something new.

Voyager did it when the crew went a bit nuts in one episode from being experimented on . They actually flew through a blue star which would of been several millions times hotter than the red dwarf.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Voyager did it when the crew went a bit nuts in one episode from being experimented on . They actually flew through a blue star which would of been several millions times hotter than the red dwarf.

Didn't they just fly close to one?? I'm having a hard time remembering. It has been a long time since I watched Voyager.

Borbarad
October 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Didn't they just fly close to one?? I'm having a hard time remembering. It has been a long time since I watched Voyager.

They flew between two orbiting pulsars.

knowles2
October 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM

I am pretty sure they went through it.

Magnecite
October 27th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Blah, blah, shields. Blah, blah, sun. Blah, blah shuttle. Blah Blah lottery results I don't care a bit about. The black military guy has a nice body. Lt pilot makes ditchwater look like a party animal. Hands up who was surprised at either of the tensionless resolutions. Chunky boy Eli is the only one I have a name for. He could do better than play second string with ditchwaters girl, he at least has achieved a one dimensional personality as maths boy.

I am really trying to like it but would have been grateful if the Lord of the Flies ancient ship had crisped the lot of them.

Mag:S

garhkal
October 27th, 2009, 03:58 PM

Maybe it is such a power hog for running full time it only raises in small areas. BUT when it is going into the sun, it uses what little reserves it has to fully raise it, channeling some of the power it absorbs into the shields to keep them up.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM
"Light" had almost constant orchestral musicIt didn't even have almost constant music.

"Light" treated us to our first SG sex scene,No it wasn't.
and it was completely random and pretty pointless.I don't think it could be called random, and there seems to have been at least a bit of a point, so far. Only if it never gets referred to again on the show would you have a somewhat valid point.

SG has never really touched on religon, Yes it has. Did you miss words such as "false gods", "Wraith worshipers" and "Hallowed are the Ori"? Plus there's mentions of the Ten Commandments and of reading the Bible.

Mav
October 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Well, I think its slowly slowly getting better. I also think it could do without the sex. I have nothing against sex, I just think there is an appropriate time and place for it, and since it's really not been a regular subject in most science fiction shows, it feels out of place and forced at times.

I do love the Destiny now, it's one giant solar battery. I mean no other show, that I know of, has come up with the idea of flying a ship directly into a star and doing it with EASE. We all knew they'd come up with some way to keep the ship running, no way were they going to just end there.

I do like the more "possibly left behind" feeling we got with the shuttle. Just like when they had to rush the river bed salt back to the ship, there is a time limit and a risk of being left behind. It means at some point you know someones gonna be left behind.

Rush being more on the fence as a good guy is different. I like it.

DigiFluid
October 27th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Don't forget Sokar's appropriation of "the devil" for himself, keeping medieval Christians terrorized and in fear ("Demons"), as well as making the moon Ne'tu into a real version of hell.

s09119
October 27th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I know many have drawn overall similies to BSG, some I agree with, some I do not.

This episode however could have been lifted straight from the pages of a BSG script, it was a blaitant rip off.

...Galactica never flew into a star.

Slow orchestral music

May I direct you to Star Wars?

I watched BSG for years, and they don't have nearly as much sex as people make it out to have. Seriously, watch the show before you scream about its disgusting sexiness.

...you've gotta be kidding me. They had a prayer group for people who thought they were about to die. Both previous Stargate shows have been BASED around religion, where have you been?

Resigned hoplessness

Like in "Critical Mass" or "Unending," yes.

A lot of episodes were like that in the past two shows... does anyone else remember the snore fest that was "Trio"?

Hell I was waitng for someone to say "frak" and that would have been it, I would have just turned it off.

...okay.

I know BSG was popular, and it would be foolish for the SG writter not to try and cash in on the hole left by it, but please, just a tad bit of imgination would be nice.

The sheer amount of great jokes weren't imaginative?

SGFerrit
October 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
This was the best episode of SGU yet, IMO.

And I'm sure Joel finds it an honor that his work is being compared to Bear's. BSG's score was the best I've seen in a show. SGU's is great also and could even catch up to that level. I'm waiting for the first season sondtrack to judge.

DigiFluid
October 27th, 2009, 04:34 PM
...Galactica never flew into a star.

Well to be fair she did, she just didn't come back out again.

s09119
October 27th, 2009, 04:36 PM

...I

...you...

...nothing further.

xD

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Two people have already been left behind. Which I think helps add to the jeopardy: it's happened once so it could happen again.

SGFerrit
October 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM

That comment calls for a wink;) at the end, it made me lol:D

EDIT: I'm of tyhe opinion that the Destiny is one of the coolest ships in scifi ever. The way it's going, by the end of the shows run it should be up there with the best of Star Trek and Star Wars ships. it won't be, because people will no doubt still look down on SG with a sense of snobbery, but it looks like it will at least deserve a place up there.

DigiFluid
October 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
...i

...you...

...nothing further.

Xd

that comment calls for a wink;) at the end, it made me lol:d

:p

SurfingEagle
October 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM

I didn't really consider the music orchestral music. The term orchestral music would seem to refer to classical music. Most of the music to me was more like synthesized music from a keyboard. It reminded me more of music from Blade Runner where there was this constant use of a synthesizer.

I never watched much of BSG so I don't know whether the music compares. But I liked the music in this episode any ways.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Don't forget Sokar's appropriation of "the devil" for himself, keeping medieval Christians terrorized and in fear ("Demons"), as well as making the moon Ne'tu into a real version of hell.And Cam and Landry's grandmas :P

Ukko
October 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I've listed it already but I will do again

Like others have pointed out, SG1 and SGA also did this. With a couple of exceptions. And Star Wars:D

BSG had lots pretty pointless sex scenes, "Light" treated us to our first SG sex scene, and it was completely random and pretty pointless.

As far as i can tell, i've only seen 1 sex scene, wich is in Air. in light i saw Cloe and Scott kiss for a bit (Im not douting that they had sex, but it was off camera) then a knew scene.

SG has never really touched on religon, it was a prominent feature in BSG and guess what you can see it slowly creeping into SGU (with the mass lords prayer)

The fact that our ancient gods/godesses were aliens.. And in the later seasons with the Ori trying to convert the whole galaxy and what not. I saw a lot of religion in SG.

And then Rush the only preson who seems to know whats going on but keeps it to himself and has clear ulteria motives, how very "Baltar" is that.

I got the impression from BSG that Baltar didnt realy have a clue about that much of what was going on. He semed more of a puppet to me.

I fell Rush is more "in control" of what he does than Baltar ever was.

I'm not say the whole show is a BSG rip off, but you cannot help but notice the simlarities, even none fans can see it and I dont see the point in denying something that is right there in your face for the sake of it.

People keep compareing SGU to BSG as if BSG was the first show to do dark, on a ship, charecter driven etc etc. And IMHO its getting tiresome and has been done to death. Even more than "These are the wrong people":p

:eek: SGU is set on a ship somewhere at the arse end of the universe, so it must be a rip off of Red Dwarf.:p

spinny magee
October 27th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Likewise.

And I love BSG.

Ok people here is the obvious similarity which I can not believe no one has seen.

It's set on a ship in space.

Oh and theres the Camerawork

But really those are the only ones in my opinion

DigiFluid
October 27th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Oh and theres the Camerawork
From someone who has watched all of BSG numerous times: the camerawork in SGU bears little to no resemblance to the camerawork in BSG.

It's set on a ship in space.
Hello and welcome to Science Fiction 101 :)

spinny magee
October 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM
From someone who has watched all of BSG numerous times: the camerawork in SGU bears little to no resemblance to the camerawork in BSG.

Hello and welcome to Science Fiction 101 :)

Hmm I guess you are right...about the little part, SGU is way more shakier(just watched part of bsg then part of SGU) but you...you are always right....oh course how could I think you are not ;)

s09119
October 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hmm I guess you are right...about the little part, SGU is way more shakier(just watched part of bsg then part of SGU) but you...you are always right....oh course how could I think you are not ;)

...SGU is shakier? What? The camerawork on the show never shakes enough to distract me from what's going on, I really don't see where people are coming from at all on this one.

Ukko
October 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
...SGU is shakier? What? The camerawork on the show never shakes enough to distract me from what's going on, I really don't see where people are coming from at all on this one.

I agree with you there. I have never noticed it or hand any problem with it.
On SGU and BSG.

DigiFluid
October 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM

If you want to talk shaky cam let's look at the larger history:
2008 - Cloverfield
2007 - Bourne Ultimatum
2004 - Bourne Supremacy, Friday Night Lights
2003 - Battlestar Galactica
2002 - Bourne Identity
1999 - The Blair Witch Project
1998 - Saving Private Ryan
1996 - Twister
1994 - ER (hi Ming-na!)
1992 - Husbands and Wives (Woody Allen)
1987 - Raising Arizona
1981 - Evil Dead 1
1964 - Dr. Strangelove
1927 - Napoléon
1925 - Varieté

I mean come on....I love my BSG, but even I won't claim that it invented camerawork :)

Giantevilhead
October 27th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I think Michael Bay was the one who really popularized using the shaky cam on special effects heavy scenes and "Firefly" was the first TV show to do it.

Also, orchestral music is a rip off of BSG? Has anyone ever seen 2001: A Space Odyssey?

As someone else mentioned, the music in SGU is much more like the music in "Blade Runner."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJrOVLEUBgw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGOus-Cnh3w

Magnecite
October 27th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Two people have already been left behind. Which I think helps add to the jeopardy: it's happened once so it could happen again.

Redshirts? I think it only adds to the jeopardy if you care about them. If you cared about the two missing people fair enough. I currenly wouldn't miss any of them so I'm biased.

Mag

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I love Firefly. Firefly was great. Amazing. Still don't understand it got canceled. It was better than SGU. I would give up all the pie in the whole world to get another Firefly season.

Avenger
October 27th, 2009, 05:48 PM
All of the "SGU is s rip off of BSG" stuff is very shallow, at best. Are there some similarities, sure, but that doesn't make it a rip off.

MattSilver 3k
October 27th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Slow orchestral music
Resigned hoplessness

- It's not like slow orchestral music hasn't been used before in every other damn show/movie/video game for quite a while.
- Heavy emphasis on religion? One group of people praying as they are about to die is 'heavy'?
- Resigned hopelessness, how about that? These people think they're about to die, so how dare they be resigned to it!

SoulReaver
October 27th, 2009, 06:00 PM
It's set on a ship in space.and in both series there are people on the ship !

Vapor
October 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I think it would be foolish to assume that SGU wasn't "inspired" by other sci-fi filmed stories, and that must include BSG. I genuinely don't believe that the shooting style would be the way it is if the new BSG never existed.

SG routinely "borrows" ideas from other shows/film, as many shows do. A lot of episodes are literally started out as "(Insert Movie Title) with a Stargate."

I find it annoying when it seems something is directly taken from another show, but when they actually use an idea well, then it's easier to take.

SGU so far has taken a LOT from other popular titles, but there's a lot that makes the show unique to all of them, and it's those things that keep me interested.

We're on an Ancient ship that refuels by flying into stars, on a fixed course across a vastly unknown part of space with primitive Stargates and unusual aliens waiting for the starving, dysfunctional crew, forced there by a selfish scientist with questionable motives. This is what gets me to tune in each week.

The_Asgard_live
October 27th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Props on your fearlessness brother. There are almost exclusively 2 camps here on this issue.

The, "No, its not like BSG" camp, and the "Hell No! Stone the heretic!" camp...

When it comes to story telling one might say all this has happened before and it will all happen again. BSG took and IMO became more than the sum of its parts and had a look and feel all to itself. SGU is taking and I feel its still the sum of its parts.

Slow orchestral music

I have heard this too. Its not constant, I remember it distinctly from the open shots of Destiny in the pilot, and then I heard it again in Light. The way I described it was "psychedelic violins." However one describes it, you can take it from SGU put it into BSG and vice versa and not miss a beat.

Yes, but as I have said before, I enjoyed my sexy time with Tricia Helfer, not so much Chloe.

While obviously people are reminding you of the whole false god thing? I think I know what you mean. We have Jesus on the cross now and religious hallucinations. Not re-imaginations of what Egyptian gods really were.

Resigned hoplessness

Its an atmosphere thing. I think they are trying, they just aren't delivering.

Some BSG could drag on. At least I didn't always feel like I knew exactly what was going to happen.

Its not always similar, but there are moments when I feel like I recognize it.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Oh great, the BSG conversation got lumped into the main thread :(
The big difference for me is that I want to see SGU, but I'll never care to watch a second of BSG.

Mortock42
October 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I love Firefly. Firefly was great. Amazing. Still don't understand it got canceled. It was better than SGU. I would give up all the pie in the whole world to get another Firefly season.

I concur. Do you concur, Doctor? (Why yes I do!)

I definitely love me some Stargate, but Firefly (and Serenity)? Wow. My mom HATES Scifi, but even she loved Serenity. It is kinda funny how Fox gets their claws on a good show and then proceeds to ruin it! Maybe Joss Whedon will take a break from Dollhouse and make another Firefly-based movie...

But anyway, a question I beg to ask about the Destiny, is if it needs a star to recharge, what does it do when it is travelling between galaxys? One long super-long pass of a star to charge the batteries to full before heading to the next galaxy? Wonder what the crew would do during the intergalactic trips (especially if it took longer than a few years)...go into stasis? There can only be so much energy for life support and propulsion...
Hopefully the show will touch on this subject eventually?

Coronach
October 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM

I watched all of BSG, and find the SGU=BSG comparisons to be spurious at best.

Blah, blah, shields. Blah, blah, sun. Blah, blah shuttle. Blah Blah lottery results I don't care a bit about. The black military guy has a nice body. Lt pilot makes ditchwater look like a party animal. Hands up who was surprised at either of the tensionless resolutions. Chunky boy Eli is the only one I have a name for. He could do better than play second string with ditchwaters girl, he at least has achieved a one dimensional personality as maths boy.

I am really trying to like it but would have been grateful if the Lord of the Flies ancient ship had crisped the lot of them.

Mag:S

You can't be trying too hard if all you got out of it were "the black military guy" and "Lt. pilot". ;)

This was the best episode of SGU yet, IMO.

And I'm sure Joel finds it an honor that his work is being compared to Bear's. BSG's score was the best I've seen in a show. SGU's is great also and could even catch up to that level. I'm waiting for the first season sondtrack to judge.

I do agree that Bear's soundtracks are absolutely stunning. I think Joel would not mind the comparison either, even though they are quite different in style so far. :)

JohnDuh
October 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Very predictable. More annoying sex scenes.
If it weren't for some of the older actors I'm not sure how i'd like this, the young ones aren't worth much, but in general its still ok, there is momentum and not just the Destiny.
But they are still scene setting, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

JohnDuh
October 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
No,sir, he knew, I knew he knew...How could he not know?

If he knew he would have said.

Vagabond Serpent
October 27th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Finally managed to watch it. So there's my opinion.

Light was much better than previous "Darkness" episode imo. The only one thing that draws rating down is predictibility of the plot. It was obvious that they'll survive and I had good, strong feeling that "Destiny" just wants to recharge itself with the star. Nevertheless, episode was very good. Characters recivied good devlopment there. Rush, who seemed to be very annoying and arrogant in previous episodes, suddenly became soft and apologizing, that showed him from the other side of his temper. But I agree with Young, who feels that Rush might know about recharging. Rush sometimes acts like he perfectly knows what'll happen, but doesn't want to tell, because of something.
Greer was perfect when he stopped crowd. Maybe his way was harsh, but thus he saved lives of many people, I think. Organizing lottery was most fair way to decide who will leave with the shuttle and who'll stay. It was better than handpicking all 15 people, leaving others without a chance of survival, or trying to stuff shuttle with as many people as possible, thus risking their lives as well, 'cause there'd be less supplies for them in that case. And in this ep Greer seemed much different, don't know why, but he seemed more calm and balanced. And when he was meditating in his quarters I suddenly felt for a moment that I'm watching Teal'c.
Eli's try to make message in the bottle was good. At least people, who were preparing to die, would have feeling that they leave something behind them, that they won't just vanish. Using kinos is a bit annoying, but it allows to deeply understand chars and their thoughts.
I completely didn't like that guy, who was trying to get in shuttle after the lottery. I understand that he was afraid, but he could have realized, that it'd be better if at least somebody will save rather then they all will die.
Ming-Na's attempt to convince Young to pick up every person who'll leave with the shuttle was just a soft try to save herself, imo.
Eli and Chloe sitting in the observation and watching how they're approaching the star... Well, that rises them in my eyes seriously, because you must have very strong temper to look in the eyes of your death and be quite calm at this moment.
Other chars were quite shallow this time, I think, but TPTB can't pay attention to everyone in each episode, or it won't fit in scheduled time. That's my thought on this one point.
Oh, forgot completely: Happy Birthday, Riley! :D
And one thing that I don't like in SGU - it's too religious now. No offense to anyone.

Shuttle. Well, when I was watching scenes with this thing, I couldn't rid of feeling, that I'm watching Fallout movie, not SGU. :D Complete steampunk.

Other things that drew my attention. Music score was amazing as always. VFX when "Destiny" was submerging into sun were great. Decision to use that planet like a gravity boost for shuttle was great again. Series became more scientific, I think. The one only thing that was lame, imo, was when Young told Scott to fire maneuvering thrusters. If they were strong enough, then shuttle should be immediately slammed towards "Destiny", considering direction which they were fired!

And to those ones, who are annoyed by sex scenes: Don't want - don't watch. Go take a walk around room, or close your eyes, or change channel, after all. You're not obliged to watch them!

Rating: 8/10

JohnDuh
October 27th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Young, Greer and Rush continue to be my favorite characters by leaps and bounds. Dont get me wrong the rest of the cast works fine, but those three just make the show imo.

and on a completely unrelated note (and something thats been bugging me)

i still dont understand how people can truly say that any of the "sexing up" is out of character for anyone. from what we have seen this is a show that's far more adult and well...real, for lack of a better word.

Oh i have a better word: Immature - but it goes down well with the tweens ;)

Scott or James or Chloe for that matter having sex doesnt make them "sex addicts" or "horny adolescents" it makes them human on show that seems to be focusing on humanity. if you dont like it to watch it, but dont go so far as to say its poor or lazy writing. so far SGU has been, with the exception of a few minor missteps, excellently written and executed

In your opinion, to me it doesn't make them human - it makes it bad writing - and not too good acting either.

Abiron
October 27th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I definitely love me some Stargate, but Firefly (and Serenity)? Wow. My mom HATES Scifi, but even she loved Serenity. It is kinda funny how Fox gets their claws on a good show and then proceeds to ruin it! Maybe Joss Whedon will take a break from Dollhouse and make another Firefly-based movie...

Yeah, I'd give a lot to see some new Firefly. Some of the best dialog ever in SF TV, and more.

But anyway, a question I beg to ask about the Destiny, is if it needs a star to recharge, what does it do when it is travelling between galaxys? One long super-long pass of a star to charge the batteries to full before heading to the next galaxy? Wonder what the crew would do during the intergalactic trips (especially if it took longer than a few years)...go into stasis? There can only be so much energy for life support and propulsion...

I very much doubt that Destiny takes longer than a few days, weeks at most, to cross between galaxies. Given how fast even a 304 can traverse the distance between the MW and Pegasus when powered by a ZPM (listed in some sources as 1215 LY/minute), I'm assuming that the Destiny's flavor of FTL is at least on par.

I'm also wondering if the use of a different FTL drive other than the stock SG hyperdrive has anything to do with refueling. I'd need to go back and check some episodes, but it seems that in hyperspace you're pretty much out of touch with the physical universe, and don't even know where you are until you exit. Hard to plan your refueling stops when traversing uncharted galaxies if you can't "see" stars. Or perhaps it has more to do with the lack of any navigational points of reference with which to plot a hyperspace jump. Destiny's FTL doesn't seem to require an endpoint, just a course...but that's just speculation so far.

PG15
October 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
If you want to talk shaky cam let's look at the larger history:
2008 - Cloverfield
2007 - Bourne Ultimatum
2004 - Bourne Supremacy, Friday Night Lights
2003 - Battlestar Galactica
2002 - Bourne Identity
1999 - The Blair Witch Project
1998 - Saving Private Ryan
1996 - Twister
1994 - ER (hi Ming-na!)
1992 - Husbands and Wives (Woody Allen)
1987 - Raising Arizona
1981 - Evil Dead 1
1964 - Dr. Strangelove
1927 - Napoléon
1925 - Varieté

I mean come on....I love my BSG, but even I won't claim that it invented camerawork :)

Wow, I never knew so many shows and movies ripped off of BSG!

MattSilver 3k
October 27th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Wow, I never knew so many shows and movies ripped off of BSG!

One of them eighty years before it ever premiered, no less!

Ukko
October 28th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Very predictable. More annoying sex scenes.
If it weren't for some of the older actors I'm not sure how i'd like this, the young ones aren't worth much, but in general its still ok, there is momentum and not just the Destiny.
But they are still scene setting, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Again with the sex scene thing. Is anyone actually watching this show, or are they just moaning because the've read abot "all the sex"

1 very short sex scene in air and 1 kissing scene in light. All of wich probably takes up about 1 minute out of all 5 episodes.

From all this talk of sex and BSG, someone who hasnt seen the show could be forgiven for thinking that all SGU is, is sex, moaning and the bloody Galactica.

Jper
October 28th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I concur. Do you concur, Doctor? (Why yes I do!)

Have some green! :) And some KiwiLemonade in honor of KiwiWednesday.
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7556/mediumkiwi20spritzer.jpg

You want some pumpkin pie with that?
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/1662/thanksgivingdecorpumpki.jpg

That will have to be answered. Probably in season two. :)

And trips between galaxies only take days or weeks, or maybe a month, not years. :)

s09119
October 28th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Again with the sex scene thing. Is anyone actually watching this show, or are they just moaning because the've read abot "all the sex"

1 very short sex scene in air and 1 kissing scene in light. All of wich probably takes up about 1 minute out of all 5 episodes.

From all this talk of sex and BSG, someone who hasnt seen the show could be forgiven for thinking that all SGU is, is sex, moaning and the bloody Galactica.

That's how I'm starting to feel; we only saw onscreen sex (not even directly) once; all that we saw in "Light" was kissing. The naysayers make it sound like SGU is 99% sexual activity, when, in reality, it's only taken up a few minutes out of five hours so far, at most.

Jper
October 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM
That's how I'm starting to feel; we only saw onscreen sex (not even directly) once; all that we saw in "Light" was kissing. The naysayers make it sound like SGU is 99% sexual activity, when, in reality, it's only taken up a few minutes out of five hours so far, at most.

Oh yeah I agree on some level. :)

However, I think the most shocking was, at least for me, not the sex, but that it was there only four and half minute in. That's about like two or three minutes of the new episode in, and there it was already. I was more shocked by that than the sex scene itself. Where was the transition? That's my biggest problem. Probably also why this is so skewed in presentation here on the thread.

Ukko
October 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Dont forget about Cloe in the shower;)

Wich seems an odd thing to complain about when for as long as i've been a member here and most likely longer, i've heard a lot of people moaning about neve seeing things like Ancient toilets and showers. Now we see one (the shower that is) actually being used, in come the complaints.

IMO people have been given exactly what they asked for. An Ancient shower.

Bring on the toilet:p

Oh yeah I agree on some level. :)

However, I think the most shocking was, at least for me, not the sex, but that it was there only four and half minute in. That's about like two or three minutes of the new episode in, and there it was already. I was more shocked by that than the sex scene itself. Where was the transition? That's my biggest problem. Probably also why this is so skewed in presentation here on the thread.

I admit i didnt expect it in the first few minutes. But people seem to be blowing the whole thing out of proportion and slamming the entire show and its crators for it.

Its just a bit of nookie. It happens folks:D

Jper
October 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I admit i didnt expect it in the first few minutes. But people seem to be blowing the whole thing out of proportion and slamming the entire show and its crators for it.

Its just a bit of nookie. It happens folks:D

Well, to be earnest, I had to watch it a second time to be able to really enjoy its full potential and greatness. I was disappointed. I did refrain from coming here and all until I saw it a second time, it as a great episode, but it has a bit of a shocked in the very beginning. This episode gradually grew on me. Throughout the episode and afterwards.

JohnDuh
October 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
A troll is someone who comes just to get a rise out of people. Just to create hositility. The person in question Sky mentioned made a soap opera refernece to SGU then insulted the inteligence of everyone who liked the show. Its one thing to dislike the show with construtive critcism (like you) and its another to bash like "this suck" and move one

What if you bash it and stay? :)

Replicator Todd
October 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM

That is going to be epic.

Mortock42
October 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Have some green! :) And some KiwiLemonade in honor of KiwiWednesday.
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7556/mediumkiwi20spritzer.jpg

You want some pumpkin pie with that?
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/1662/thanksgivingdecorpumpki.jpg

That will have to be answered. Probably in season two. :)

And trips between galaxies only take days or weeks, or maybe a month, not years. :)

Ahhhh, a taste for the face... thanks for the goodies!

And I guess I was thinking that since the Daedalus took about 2 weeks to make it back and forth between the MW and Pegasus, and that it's hyperdrive is probably much more advanced than what the Destiny has (I am assuming?), that it would have taken the Destiny months, if not years, to make the Journeybetween galaxies. But again, that is probably something the Ancients took into account now to think about it...

I am thinking that the Destiny will have many surprises for us all in the coming episodes..

Jper
October 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Ahhhh, a taste for the face... thanks for the goodies!

And I guess I was thinking that since the Daedalus took about 2 weeks to make it back and forth between the MW and Pegasus, and that it's hyperdrive is probably much more advanced than what the Destiny has (I am assuming?), that it would have taken the Destiny months, if not years, to make the Journeybetween galaxies. But again, that is probably something the Ancients took into account now to think about it...

I am thinking that the Destiny will have many surprises for us all in the coming episodes..

Oh you're welcome. :)

Still, it's all speculation. However, I think it is very likely that this will be addressed when the show continues, and if they stay on the Destiny and all. :)

Lahela
October 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Wich seems an odd thing to complain about when for as long as i've been a member here and most likely longer, i've heard a lot of people moaning about neve seeing things like Ancient toilets and showers. Now we see one (the shower that is) actually being used, in come the complaints.

IMO people have been given exactly what they asked for. An Ancient shower.

:mad: "We want backstory!"
:S "Too much backstory!"
:mad: "We want reality!"
:S "Too much reality!"
:mad: "We want relationships!"
:S "Too many relationships!"
:mad: "We want consequences!"
:S "Too much time on consequences!"

Gotta love fandom ;)

Wib
October 28th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Gotta love fandom ;)

:indeed::lol:

Ukko
October 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Well, to be earnest, I had to watch it a second time to be able to really enjoy its full potential and greatness. I was disappointed. I did refrain from coming here and all until I saw it a second time, it as a great episode, but it has a bit of a shocked in the very beginning. This episode gradually grew on me. Throughout the episode and afterwards.

I've also watched it a couple of times. But i enjoyed it first time round:D

That is going to be epic.

Its in the episode "Alien Curry" :p

EvilSpaceAlien
October 28th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Gotta love fandom ;)

:lol: http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/starbuck/starbuck011.gif I would green you, but the b*st*rds wont let me. http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/adama/adama050.gif :p

Ukko
October 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Gotta love fandom ;)

:lol:
Green for Lahela:D

JohnDuh
October 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM
My guess; tinting on all the windows.

Necro tempered glass ;)

JohnDuh
October 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Gotta love fandom ;)

Gotta love people who generalize logically ... no wait - gotta hate them.

I have never contradicted myself in what I want from shows - and that goes for most people, if not all of them.

Linda06
October 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Just finished watching this ep and I loved it. Best ep to date :D

There was one thing that bugged me a little though, the Chloe/Scott thing, it just...Suddenly appeared, I thought there would have a least been a little forplay or something first before they jumped into bed together :rolleyes: They didn't need this IMO, not in this ep anyways, it was pointless.

I loved the rest of the ep though, especially the Young/Rush and Young/Greer scenes. This is the first ep I liked Greer in, maybe he ain't so bad after all :) Young was great as always :D

Me's think that bald guy is gonna be trouble :p

Magnecite
October 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM
You can't be trying too hard if all you got out of it were "the black military guy" and "Lt. pilot". ;)

I've watched more than one episode so that counts. I think the reason they're described thus is that they have only achieved some kind of functionality and not personality status. Also, I think they need to shrink the cast somewhat, that might help.

Mag;)

jelgate
October 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Just finished watching this ep and I loved it. Best ep to date :D

There was one thing that bugged me a little though, the Chloe/Scott thing, it just...Suddenly appeared, I thought there would have a least been a little forplay or something first before they jumped into bed together :rolleyes: They didn't need this IMO, not in this ep anyways, it was pointless.
I loved the rest of the ep though, especially the Young/Rush and Young/Greer scenes. This is the first ep I liked Greer in, maybe he ain't so bad after all :) Young was great as always :D

Me's think that bald guy is gonna be trouble :p

That was the point;)

Linda06
October 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM
That was the point;)

Ah right. Well then, it makes sense now :p

garhkal
October 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM
One of them eighty years before it ever premiered, no less!

Now that is a feat of heroic proportions!

Automission
October 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hmm a question for the science people! If the Destiny flew through the star, and took mass from it to power the ship, would that not cause the sun to go super nova?

As SG1 did in an early season, they took matter from the stars centre to cause it to go super nova, so I'm wondering how did the extraction/addition of mass to the sun not cause the same result?

Dain
October 28th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Hmm a question for the science people! If the Destiny flew through the star, and took mass from it to power the ship, would that not cause the sun to go super nova?

As SG1 did in an early season, they took matter from the stars centre to cause it to go super nova, so I'm wondering how did the extraction/addition of mass to the sun not cause the same result?

I think you have problems with visualizing just how big stars are in comparison to a space ship. ;)

Additionally, like almost everything in nature, things don't suffer from critical existance failure only because they are messed with by outside factors. There is a self-correcting balance build into natural systems which will adjust itself to all changes as long as they aren't too big for the system to handle.

Even if the star had lost considerable amounts of surface material, the result would have been a decrease of gravitational pressure on the core, which in turn would have reduced the amount of fusion reactions occuring. This would have led to the star becoming dimmer, not exploding violently.

poundpuppy29
October 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I'm willing to bet most of you aren't from Puritan settlements. So why the kneejerk negative reaction just because people are getting some?

I know it occupies a lot of time in my mind, and I'm quite certain it does in most of yours too--so why should the Destiny crew be wearing chastity belts?
Thank you I agree 100% this is not puritan times people and I just want to add I liked the ep and don't understand this argument about the military being in a bad light I am sure this kind of thing happens all the time which is why some males don't think women should be in the military I don't agree though but I am a woman and I thought Scott was realistic in both scenes I know some military men and trust me they are not celibate Monks especially the unmarried ones even some of the married ones sorry but can we be real please about this subject.

Poor Eli he was crushed and I don't think Chloe is a slut but I think she gave Eli mixed signals before maybe unintentionally but she still did.

Loved all parts of the ep very well done and well acted loved Ming Na I like to see strong minded women.

Eternal Density
October 28th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Gotta love people who generalize logically ... no wait - gotta hate them.

I have never contradicted myself in what I want from shows - and that goes for most people, if not all of them.You missed the point. That post was about fandom as a collective, not about individuals. There's always going to be some segment of fandom not happy about some aspect and if the show did please them then some other group would get vocal about the opposite issue. There is no common denominator.

reddevil18
October 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Now that is a feat of heroic proportions!Not really. We've already established that BSG is at the origin of human civilization.

PG15
October 28th, 2009, 04:29 PM
What if you bash it and stay? :)

Less trollish, more annoying.

Darren
October 28th, 2009, 05:00 PM
For all you interested voters, the site poll for "Light" has been fixed!

Votes will be tallied in about a week's time to calculate GateWorld's "Fan Rating" number.

jelgate
October 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Not really. We've already established that BSG is at the origin of human civilization.

I seemed to miss that lesson in Biology class and/or church.

Jeff-B
October 28th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I guess I'm glad I haven't watched BSG since about the late 70's, and even then only a couple episodes. I don't recall any shaky cameras though.

***Entirely Sarcastic: I really like the show, but this is directed at those that insist it's a ripoff***

If anything, they ripped off Gilligan's Island. A bunch of people trapped with no way to get home. A 3 hour tour of Icarus base, then a storm of weapons fire ends up getting them stranded. You have Professor Rush, always looking for and sometimes finding scientific solutions to whatever problems come up. Skipper Young, the wise leader who is often at odds with Professor Rush. Mary Ann James, who's hot yet very capable and tough. Ginger Chloe, who uses her looks to get what she wants(not my opinion, but seems to be a common one around here). Camille Howell III, who thinks her standing back home entitles her to having leadership power here. Mrs. (bald guy who gets KO'd by Greer) Howell, who's just a ditz. Then there's Gilligan Eli who's( socially) clumsy, yet kind of knows what he's doing and gets little respect for it from Skipper Young.

I hope this isn't total blasphemy.

Commander Zelix
October 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Now here's my take on it.

Universe is a rip off of Lost:

- They both about a group of people stranded on a ship/island to which they can't escape.
-They are both the wrong people at the wrong places
- Both the Destiny ship and the Island have some mystery.
- The Destiny ship travel through space while the Lost island travel through time. But we know with the relativity theory that time and space are actually the same thing.
- Scott = Jack, his girlfriend Chloe = Kate. They make out but another one is jealous, Eli/Sawyer.
- Rush=Locke. Both believe the Destiny/Island is a disaster which is actually something good for them. They both have ulterior motive.
- Spencer have been seen gathering food just like Hugo. And happens to also takes pills like Charlie.
- Both have mysterious inhabitant. In lost they are called the others and the Destiny the ship we saw them ducking out at the end of an episode (Air 3 i think).
- Both have their backstory related to some ancient earth mythology. Lost=Egypt. Stargate=Egypt, Atlantis etc.
- The main issue for both of the groups is survival and how to get back.
- Both shows combine soapy drama elements with mysterious sci-fi elements.
- Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship are protected by some form of shield system.
- Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship seem to have a long history predating the arrival of our people.
- Air 3 desert tornado alien=Blacksmoke entity
- I swear I saw a polar bear somewhere on the Destiny.

;)

MattSilver 3k
October 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Now here's my take on it.

Universe is a rip off of Lost:

- They both about a group of people stranded on a ship/island to which they can't escape.
-They are both the wrong people at the wrong places
- Both the Destiny ship and the Island have some mystery.
- The Destiny ship travel through space while the Lost island travel through time. But we know with the relativity theory that time and space are actually the same thing.
- Scott = Jack, his girlfriend Chloe = Kate. They make out but another one is jealous, Eli/Sawyer.
- Rush=Locke. Both believe the Destiny/Island is a disaster which is actually something good for them. They both have ulterior motive.
- Spencer have been seen gathering food just like Hugo. And happens to also takes pills like Charlie.
- Both have mysterious inhabitant. In lost they are called the others and the Destiny the ship we saw them ducking out at the end of an episode (Air 3 i think).
- Both have their backstory related to some ancient earth mythology. Lost=Egypt. Stargate=Egypt, Atlantis etc.
- The main issue for both of the groups is survival and how to get back.
- Both shows combine soapy drama elements with mysterious sci-fi elements.
- Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship are protected by some form of shield system.
- Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship seem to have a long history predating the arrival of our people.
- Air 3 desert tornado alien=Blacksmoke entity
- I swear I saw a polar bear somewhere on the Destiny.

;)

Yes. Eli is totally Sawyer. :rolleyes:

:P

Eternal Density
October 28th, 2009, 06:58 PM
SGU is a ripoff of Pigs In Spaaace! Particularly that episode where they sit around saying they're bored. And then Swedish Chef appears, chasing a chicken through the set. SGU's totally like that. The characters even look like puppets!

Coronach
October 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Yes. Eli is totally Sawyer. :rolleyes:

:P

Oh yes. This is why I love these show comparisons so much. It still doesn't beat the "Chloe=Starbuck" one I saw though ;).

Eternal Density
October 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Becker is totally Swedish Chef.

StevenCaldwell
October 29th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Really, really tiny hamster wheels being used by even tinier hamsters.

well if you want to think that, then you go ahead. Pritty cool how the ship desended into the star and recharged itself.

Mortock42
October 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
All this talk about how SGU is ripping-off other shows reminds me of a Southpark episode where Butters and General Dissaray try to concoct dasturdly plans, and realize that the Simpsons had already done every idea they come up with. I think that generally, you can only do so much with a specific genre.

Had I not seen any SGU episodes, I would still know that:
-Space would be involved
-Stargate travel is there too (duh!)
-Aliens will cause trouble
-constant trouble/impossible situations will face the characters from which they will emerge from victorious
-Science talk about FTL drives, flux capacitors, crystals, etc.
-Guns/death-rays/phasers etc. will be fired from time to time.

So basically, the sci-fi element is the meat, and the characters are the bones that support the meat. I think that in order for any show to be good, the characters have to be what draws in the crowds (with an occasional cool sci-fi scene of course..).

Look at Firefly. Everyone had already seen space-ships, guns, evil governments, smuggling, etc, but it was a great show because of the characters. So I guess my point is for people to stop complaining about how this show rips-off other shows because you can really say that for a lot of shows. The only thing I think is important is for the crew to be likable. And so far, they are!

Dain
October 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM
There is only a limited amount of storytelling themes that can be used. At this point, basically everything has already been done by another author. So you end up listening to stories combined out of different tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage) that you vaguely remember encountering before.

But please, that doesn't mean the show is an intentional ripp-off of anything. And least of all is that the case with SGU, which really has brought original Sci-Fi feeling back into the Stargate franchise.

Promethius30
October 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
The music in the last 20 mins of this episode made it worth watching on its own, best episode of the season so far :)

Jper
October 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
The music in the last 20 mins of this episode made it worth watching on its own

:) :indeed:

Mitchell82
October 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Not really. We've already established that BSG is at the origin of human civilization.

We have? Must have missed that day in college.

Mitchell82
October 29th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Gotta love fandom ;)

:lol: Well put Green for you.

Mitchell82
October 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Personally each ep haas gotten stronger than the last and each ep so far has been great IMO. If this is the direction the show keeps going in I'll be a happy camper.

gateboy
October 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Though my review might not appear to be as well versed as some of the other reviewers I will attempt a review anywho (yes i meant anywho).

Directing/Filming: I have to say that I am very much in agreement with many others who find this very similar in filming style and even direction to BSG. Though the idea I guess is more of an involved perspective with drama included, so far it leaves me wanting more. In this episode we are of course fed more of this style, though it doesn't fail to capture attention, it only seems to further the dreadful situation the crew finds themselves in and takes the viewer with them. Though we are not literally taken with them, but instead we are left hoping as any devoted fan could be that this isn't going to be the first major failure for the franchise.

Story: Okay, so they are already aboard and have been for a day or longer I suppose. They try to make a course correction and walla end up in the path of a sun. Little do they know that instead of heading for their deaths they are instead heading for a resolution to their former problems. At this point though the viewer probably should feel as though they have been on a roller coaster, yet that wasn't the case for me. I suppose the lack of time to gain a meaningful attachment to any of the crew and the dark storyline and dread leaves me in a painful state of apathy. If however i did have time to perhaps feel some sort of attachment I might have felt more like i was on this roller coaster with these people. Though this is just not the case, and I am left not caring much that they survived. Mostly to me it seemed somewhat predictable the the ship would not be destroyed and something else not as bad would happen. This is as we all now know what happened, and yet all we are left with is a ship with power and a crew that we only seem to have bits and pieces of info on at this point. Even in the end the drama persists, which it is going to but it seems so dull.

Characters and Bads: It is my thinking that we need more indepth character build up, and we have been all over the place in these first five episodes. Though we have had some time to get to know them somewhat we need more to go on. I am really hoping that we don't end up in a similar situation that the BSG writers put fans through similar story arcs or situations that left them hungry for more. I am hoping that we can at least learn something about the main characters of this show or at least one. This is of course before we even finnish half the season. It is also my hopes as well as many others that as we hopefully move past these intro shows that we will indeed see a new enemy/enemies, and instead of the slow resolution of tragic circumstances we will hopefully be thrust into new action and characters will shine. Therefore fans will finally be able to grasp the show with heightened interest seeing their characters true intentions, feelings and beliefs boil to the surface.

Pharaoh Atem
October 29th, 2009, 07:33 PM
for anyone who didn't like the chloe/scott sex scene you have to think about it this way you have to be happy we didn't actually get to see it.

other tv shows would have has stayed in that scene and all you would have heard was moaning and all that jazz. i really feel the scene was done in good taste

Easter Lily
October 29th, 2009, 08:42 PM
A strangely moving episode, I have to say. I loved the music and am really loving the use of music on the show.
I was surprise at the amount of tension in this episode and it was somewhat better than the previous two. I ho hummed at the "hook up" but seeing it was a mere minute or two and didn't detract from the rest of the episode, I'll let it pass. It seems to me that human beings are at their best/worst when faced with impending doom. And I still don't hate anyone. In fact, I like Greer much more than I have previously.
My opinion about Rush is that he had an inkling about the Destiny but he couldn't be sure. He was ready to face the end wherever it took him. What he said to Col Young was probably the more true than anyone realises: the Destiny is his life's work.
He is a wonderful foil to Col Young.

I watched the entire series of BSG and I don't think there are any real similarites stylistically or plotwise. BSG, in my opinion, had a much more raw,edgier, gritty feel and at times almost documentary like. SGU does wonderful things with colour and light.

Starrtom
October 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
This is definitely the best episode so far. It's getting stronger and stronger, can't wait to see what the season holds. SGU ROCKS:cool::)

EvenstarSRV
October 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM
for anyone who didn't like the chloe/scott sex scene you have to think about it this way you have to be happy we didn't actually get to see it.

other tv shows would have has stayed in that scene and all you would have heard was moaning and all that jazz. i really feel the scene was done in good taste

There's that silver lining...

I agree, production-wise I thought the scene was well done, the lighting was especially beautiful. It was the writing leading up to and following the scene that I found quite lacking.

Lovely sig, btw. :)

Easter Lily
October 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM

I'm always grateful for small mercies. ;)

Julian
October 30th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Episode was alright. Nothing much happened overall but they're really pushing this whole relationships-themed business now arn't they... I like how Ming-Na broke down...

And did they hint at her being lesbian? The woman she left her message to is either her daughter/sister/partner...

Jper
October 31st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Episode was alright. Nothing much happened overall but they're really pushing this whole relationships-themed business now arn't they... I like how Ming-Na broke down...

And did they hint at her being lesbian? The woman she left her message to is either her daughter/sister/partner...

It has pretty much been spoiled that

You did see the spoiler warning, didn't you? Big spoilers for Season One and Episode 16 Sabotage.
Camile is lesbian and that Sharon is her partner. It comes up for certain in the episode 1.16 "Sabotage"

GW Thread:
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=66961

I goes on and on about how Camile switches body by using the stones, and how she gets to interact with her partner, but the person she's switching with does some things too.

Matt G
November 1st, 2009, 02:25 PM
1. Someone earlier said something about "we're going to die - let's bang like drums" :).

2. Lottery was harsh but it was as fair as it gets in this situation.

3. The Destiny can go through a Sun! Wow!

4. The Destiny gets recharged using solar energy. Wierd but I'll work with it.

5. My instinct says that Rush isn't dodgy, just over-focussed.

EllieVee
November 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Though my review might not appear to be as well versed as some of the other reviewers I will attempt a review anywho (yes i meant anywho).

Directing/Filming: I have to say that I am very much in agreement with many others who find this very similar in filming style and even direction to BSG. Though the idea I guess is more of an involved perspective with drama included, so far it leaves me wanting more. In this episode we are of course fed more of this style, though it doesn't fail to capture attention, it only seems to further the dreadful situation the crew finds themselves in and takes the viewer with them. Though we are not literally taken with them, but instead we are left hoping as any devoted fan could be that this isn't going to be the first major failure for the franchise.

Actually the style is Firefly, which BSG ripped, so they're ripping a rip off.

Story: Okay, so they are already aboard and have been for a day or longer I suppose. They try to make a course correction and walla end up in the path of a sun. Little do they know that instead of heading for their deaths they are instead heading for a resolution to their former problems. At this point though the viewer probably should feel as though they have been on a roller coaster, yet that wasn't the case for me. I suppose the lack of time to gain a meaningful attachment to any of the crew and the dark storyline and dread leaves me in a painful state of apathy. If however i did have time to perhaps feel some sort of attachment I might have felt more like i was on this roller coaster with these people. Though this is just not the case, and I am left not caring much that they survived. Mostly to me it seemed somewhat predictable the the ship would not be destroyed and something else not as bad would happen. This is as we all now know what happened, and yet all we are left with is a ship with power and a crew that we only seem to have bits and pieces of info on at this point. Even in the end the drama persists, which it is going to but it seems so dull.

I'm very attached to Rush but that might be because he's Robert Carlyle.

Characters and Bads: It is my thinking that we need more indepth character build up, and we have been all over the place in these first five episodes. Though we have had some time to get to know them somewhat we need more to go on. I am really hoping that we don't end up in a similar situation that the BSG writers put fans through similar story arcs or situations that left them hungry for more. I am hoping that we can at least learn something about the main characters of this show or at least one. This is of course before we even finnish half the season. It is also my hopes as well as many others that as we hopefully move past these intro shows that we will indeed see a new enemy/enemies, and instead of the slow resolution of tragic circumstances we will hopefully be thrust into new action and characters will shine. Therefore fans will finally be able to grasp the show with heightened interest seeing their characters true intentions, feelings and beliefs boil to the surface.

I'm torn between less is more and wanting some backstory but that said, backstory doesn't have to be an entire episode about some tragedy in someone's life. It's far more interesting in snippets. We don't really learn about each other in people pouring out tragedies and lists of likes and dislikes in real life (well, on some Internet forums, perhaps). Example, which I think some people have used before elsewhere on GW. Grissom in CSI wasn't interesting because he had some great tragedy in his life. He was interesting because he was an obsessed loner insect geek but we found out these things in the course of episodes; it wasn't vomited out in one go.

Dusk
November 4th, 2009, 03:01 AM
The ethereal space score was superb. Well done to Goldsmith and gang!

Question: What does the SG-1 episode "Heroes", the SGA episode "Letters From Pegasus" and this SGU episode have in common?

Saquist
November 4th, 2009, 04:28 AM
For what it's worth, I reall liked the FX in this episode it was dynamic, the people actually started to come together, most things were believable. It was predictable, highly predictable but how awe inspiring...flying through a star.

Conundrum
November 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
The music in the last 20 mins of this episode made it worth watching on its own, best episode of the season so far :)

Are you talking about the music playing when the ship is powering up? It's excellent piece of music. I'm wondering if it's a part of the soundtrack or a separate piece.

SeaBee
February 23rd, 2010, 03:45 AM
This is the only "Universe" episode I have seen, due to a lack of cash leading to a lack of Sky. I saw it at my Dad's when, at the weekend, a bout of insomnia lead to a late night viewing.
I have to say that I really enjoyed it, although not seeing the previous eps to fill in the back story is a disadvantage.
Looks like the box set has just gone on my "Things to buy" list.

Saquist
February 23rd, 2010, 04:23 AM
Really Light was the only episode of SGU that I liked. It was the only real episode and they had to draw out the exposition in Darkness to make it happen. But it was a complete story.

EvilSpaceAlien
February 23rd, 2010, 08:38 AM
This is the only "Universe" episode I have seen, due to a lack of cash leading to a lack of Sky. I saw it at my Dad's when, at the weekend, a bout of insomnia lead to a late night viewing.
I have to say that I really enjoyed it, although not seeing the previous eps to fill in the back story is a disadvantage.
Looks like the box set has just gone on my "Things to buy" list.

Light was really the best of the first ten episodes. Although it is not the only good one in my opnion. I have found good aspects of every episode that I've watched so far, but my favorites has to be Air 1, 2 & 3, Light, Time & Justice.

Sp!der
June 16th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Just watched it again, visually Light is one of the best SG episodes in the whole franchise! great job everybody...

maneth
December 27th, 2011, 08:42 PM
The best ep IMO so far. And I do hope for more snippets of their back stories (Young's failing marriage, Scott's losses...) and in that regard I'm most curious about Rush. I liked both the story and the cinematography.

rushy
December 28th, 2011, 03:38 AM
The episode Time is 100% best in Season 1, I think.

KEK
December 28th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I'd say Human was the best. I've never really seen the appeal of Time. All we get from it is a tiny bit of fleshing out of the characters, and the venom as a plot device for future episodes. For all intents and purposes, everything else didn't even happen.

rushy
December 28th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Time was the most adventure. Human was great too, I know. Time just was better. And then there are Season 2 great episodes.

maneth
December 29th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Haven't seen those yet...

rushy
January 5th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Oh, and I agree with you. NICHOLAS RUSH IS JUST AWESOME. Best Sci Fi character ever. Why did they stop SG Universe, why... it's my fav series along with Farscape.

jelgate
January 5th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Oh, and I agree with you. NICHOLAS RUSH IS JUST AWESOME. Best Sci Fi character ever. Why did they stop SG Universe, why... it's my fav series along with Farscape.

That is pretty obvious. The ratings were terrible

rushy
January 5th, 2012, 04:05 PM
So? Ratings or not, Universe was probably the best series of Stargate and I miss it. I miss Rush's sarcastic attitude and Young's quest of getting them home and Eli's humor.

jelgate
January 5th, 2012, 06:14 PM
So one person does not decide a show

rushy
January 6th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Yeah, I know. But SGU still had a lot of reason to stay on TV.

kmiller1610
June 13th, 2012, 03:39 AM

Let me try.

SG-1 and SGA are built on heroic people with faults complementing each other's gaps to create cohesion in the face of peril. It's unrealistic, but inspiring. SGU is more like real life, people with faults fighting each other and barely finding enough in common to survive. This is not escapist enough and too different from the model to survive.

VampyreWraith
November 3rd, 2012, 07:24 AM
While "Darkness" wasn't all that great, I loved "Light". The music was beautiful. There were some very nice character moments, for pretty much everyone. I still think the Chloe/Scott hook-up was rather sudden and out of nowhere(it's somewhat understandable, since they thought they were going to die, but still feels weird to me). Overall, I really enjoyed this episode.

ZRFTS
November 7th, 2012, 12:07 PM
One person told me this would be the one to hook me into the series, that guy was wrong but it is surprisingly decent. This episode is about putting everything behind and embracing potential death Without those ever insisting distractions, emotion and humanity take center stage and many characters took a big step; most prominent is Young's character was still a newborn at this point but at least he's showing himself as a character, Dr. Rush moves away from Desmond by adding small chops that help to further help his unique character and this would contain the first slice-of-life instance that to me is a defining point of the show. The only problem, barely anything was happening character-wise or plot-wise; the characters were just standing around waiting for death to happen and there are barely any notable scenes that don't involve Young and Rush.

I didn't notice the Scott/Chloe plot started here and I have to say; the plot here didn't really work well for the series. The romance is more natural but Scott isn't the kind of character capable of carrying a romance; Young v. Rush mostly started here and I disliked this plot from the beginning, it may have had some weight in the form of "Does Rush have alterior motives", "Does Young have what it takes to lead" but to me it detracted from the series and distracted from the real character issues just begging to be explored. At least it was cool when Destiny skimmed the sun like that; the lighting and visuals were a pretty impressive show of what it had to offer.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 7th, 2012, 04:07 PM
As of this episode so far, Chloe is hot, but stupid after telling Scott that she's been closer to him than anyone in her life. She's stupid because we're 5 episode into the series. I'm just saying.

The last couple of minutes of the episode were great. Joel's Score and the visual effect of the ship passing into the start was just amazing.

Tomorrow, we need more water.

min min light
November 7th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Dr. Rush moves away from Desmond by adding small chops that help to further help his unique character and this would contain the first slice-of-life instance that to me is a defining point of the show.

I double-checked the date on this post because I thought maybe it was made when Lost was still on, but no ... so I'm going to guess that you were so totally immersed in Lost that everything on earth still reminds you of it, because Rush didn't need to "move away from Desmond," since about the only thing they have in common is an accent. And Henry Ian Whatever (Cusik?) is a fine actor but he's nowhere near Robert Carlyle's league.

ZRFTS
November 8th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I double-checked the date on this post because I thought maybe it was made when Lost was still on, but no ... so I'm going to guess that you were so totally immersed in Lost that everything on earth still reminds you of it
A brief note: I watched Lost during it's final season after having caught up with the previous 5 seasons on Hulu, something special ABC did for the show and that aired in 2010, mostly running up against SGU's first season which I was not aware of at the time. It has been two years since I rewatched the show in full and somehow despite that lapse of time I'm able to make comparisons to those characters, and this is supposed to be a show with unique characters.

Also I'm not making comparisons based on immersions; to illustrate.

Rush and Desmond are both people who come from the mainland.
They both have a sinister side to them and know certain things (with Desmond, it's procedure with the Swan station; with Rush, it's a bond with Destiny.)
Both have similar cultural traits.
Both have similar emotional outbreaks. (they're not overly violent.)
Both react negatively to anything the crew does regarding their various places.
Both are known for one thing (Desmond: Swan, Rush: Destiny) but as the show goes on, becomes more known for other things (Rush being a friendly person who's treats his teammates as equals, Desmond a person who's confident, intellectual and willing as far as what I can remember from him.)

I will admit, Desmond wasn't manipulative but still... They're pretty similar initially.

because Rush didn't need to "move away from Desmond," since about the only thing they have in common is an accent. And Henry Ian Whatever (Cusik?) is a fine actor but he's nowhere near Robert Carlyle's league.

I'll give you that, in later episodes Robert Carlyle could just blow everybody out of the room by just standing there and saying a couple of words and ultimately won a place in my top 5 favorite SGU characters but the show was in it's infancy at the time and it's infancy to me was surrounded by an eerily "Lost" feeling in characters, premise, mystery and progression. I do respect your opinion though.

min min light
November 8th, 2012, 01:42 AM
A brief note: I watched Lost during it's final season after having caught up with the previous 5 seasons on Hulu, something special ABC did for the show and that aired in 2010, mostly running up against SGU's first season which I was not aware of at the time. It has been two years since I rewatched the show in full and somehow despite that lapse of time I'm able to make comparisons to those characters, and this is supposed to be a show with unique characters.

Just so you know, it wasn't a slam - I was totally immersed in Lost, and I did the long slog from S1 to the series finale the hard way, watching it live. For awhile there everything reminded me of it, and I talked about it so much that I'm surprised nobody arranged an intervention. (Fortunately the series finale cured me. Also not a slam - if you loved the series finale, more power to you.)

•Rush and Desmond are both people who come from the mainland.
•They both have a sinister side to them and know certain things (with Desmond, it's procedure with the Swan station; with Rush, it's a bond with Destiny.)
•Both have similar cultural traits.
•Both have similar emotional outbreaks. (they're not overly violent.)
•Both react negatively to anything the crew does regarding their various places.

But everyone on the ship came from the mainland, and most survival stories have a guy with a sinister side who lashes out and/or reacts negatively to plans he doesn't agree with. It's really not that similar, except in the way that all stories are similar.

I'll give you that, in later episodes Robert Carlyle could just blow everybody out of the room by just standing there and saying a couple of words and ultimately won a place in my top 5 favorite SGU characters but the show was in it's infancy at the time and it's infancy to me was surrounded by an eerily "Lost" feeling in characters, premise, mystery and progression. I do respect your opinion though.

See, I think that's just the Lost Stockholm Syndrome talking there (in the early days), :D but I'm glad that faded after awhile. And I respect your opinion too of course!

Lieutenant Sparrow
November 9th, 2012, 05:16 AM
An alright ep.

Would have been a lot more depressing if it wasn't so obvious the ship was never going to be destroyed.

Poor Eli. I always wanted him to get with Chloe. Damn you Scott.

I just love how that soldier was just left there after he got punched out haha.

The Destiny flying through stars to replenish energy is very cool. It looked great as well.

It's a pity Camille wasn't left on the planet at least.

garhkal
November 10th, 2012, 01:09 PM
How do you say it was 'so obvious'?

jelgate
November 10th, 2012, 01:44 PM
The plot shield kind of dictates they aren't going to kill everyone on board

Lieutenant Sparrow
November 10th, 2012, 07:41 PM
How do you say it was 'so obvious'?

Otherwise it would have been a very short series.

Krisz
November 11th, 2012, 01:21 PM

My impression of this episode when it first aired........and still gets me with each viewing.

With hindsight I can see why these moments were so important, these were the building blocks, seeing how they reacted in various situations. This episode is littered with these quick, easy to miss character moments. Even Chloe choosing to be with Scott is born of needing comfort, being afraid of being alone. you could be rolling your eyes thinking, oh no another sex scene, but I see it as that moment of sharing something with someone who understands, feels as you do, a way to deal with the awful moment that is coming. People react in different ways to extreme situations and watching from a normal perspective it may seem ridiculous because it is not something we are experiencing at the same time.

No one cared for Spencer and the way he acted when afraid, leaving him sprawled out on the gate room floor after being knocked out seemed so callous, so un-Stargate! But it was real, everyone was afraid, lost in how they were dealing with facing death, no inclination to discipline Greer for his laudable, but incorrect method of dealing with it. This is where SGU steps away from the 'moral high ground' side of the Stargate we've seen previously.

A wonderful twist with the supposed 'escape from certain death' on the shuttle by the ones who won the lottery not being the escape after all. Added a nice bit of drama as they scramble to try and reconnect with Destiny that survived after all, at the moment they realised they didn't really have much of a chance of surviving on the planet in the long term.

Along with the spectacular images of Destiny skimming through the sun to recharge, which is always awesome, I've gained more of an appreciation for this episode with each rewatch.

Matt G
November 14th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Midweek, another ep of SGU...

1. Greer's Kino sppech made more sense this time round...

2. Ironically I didn't think Rush was dodgy back in '09!

3. Ah, Spencer...

4. "Math boy".

Getting tasty.

jelgate
November 17th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I remember us making jokes about Young's constant statement about these are the wrong people. We would use mundane ordinary tasks like....
Young: Mr. Broody do you have a pencil I can borrow.
Broody: No
Young: These are the wrong people

I was never really bothered about Chloe and Scott jumping into bed. It seemed quite realastic given the circumstance of sudden death. The solution of Destiny recharging it power by flying into a sun was obvious but pretty awesome to see none the less. It goes flying into the sun and just opens up these things on the bottom of the ship to collect solar energy. How great is that? And it also had some nice interaction like showing Greer. It was small but I thought that part about him decking Telford and the way he assaulted Spencer speaks to what he is as a character. He is not a bad person just has problems controlling himself when he feels something is wrong. In regards to Wray and Young I am uncertain who to side with as they both make valid points of what it will take to survive. Although given the harsh nature of that rock they probably wouldn't have live that long. Anyone who knows me knows I tend to side with Rush but the notion he already knew about Destiny. Rush pulled a lot of things for his selfish desire. But I do not see what he has to gain from lying to people like he does in other situations so I do not think he knew about the sun.

min min light
November 18th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I remember us making jokes about Young's constant statement about these are the wrong people. We would use mundane ordinary tasks like....
Young: Mr. Broody do you have a pencil I can borrow.
Broody: No
Young: These are the wrong people

That's hilarious, I wish I had been here then.

Anyone who knows me knows I tend to side with Rush but the notion he already knew about Destiny. Rush pulled a lot of things for his selfish desire. But I do not see what he has to gain from lying to people like he does in other situations so I do not think he knew about the sun.

I don't think he did either, because his entire manner changed when he realized what was happening, and there was no reason for him to fake that delight since he was all alone. I think the expression on his face when Young said maybe he knew all along was more shock than anything, like "whoa, I've been a worse jerk than I thought if he believes this." Or since it is Rush I'm talking about, maybe more like, "whoa, I'm a delightful person - why would he think I'd do something so weasely?"

garhkal
November 19th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Or
"I'll let them stew over that for a while".

jelgate
November 19th, 2012, 02:48 PM
That sounds like something Rush would do. Mantipulate people to suit his advantage

Cluas
February 27th, 2013, 02:55 AM
This ep was equally great. The "lottery" somehow reminded me of BSG?
I felt so sorry for Eli. A bit cliche, but if it has happened to you IRL you know what it feels like.
I bet Rush knew about the ship charging it's power from the sun . That was my first thought, when he refused to be in the lottery. Guess we will never know for sure...
I still like the Kino's and the way they have been used so far...
Solar power for the win :D

garhkal
March 3rd, 2013, 02:18 PM
Whether he knew about the recharging, or not has been discussed.. And lookig at his shock as he stood with awe on the observation deck, i can only conclude he didn't.

min min light
March 3rd, 2013, 05:52 PM
Exactly, there's no reason for him to fake the shock and awe when he's all alone.

jelgate
March 3rd, 2013, 06:04 PM
Unless he knew he wasn't alone

min min light
March 3rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
Did I miss something - was it shown later on that he wasn't alone, and knew this?

jelgate
March 3rd, 2013, 06:08 PM
No. I am just pointing the possibility he could be

min min light
March 3rd, 2013, 06:12 PM
Why?

jelgate
March 3rd, 2013, 06:14 PM
Why not?

Baron Of Hell
September 13th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Loved this episode. The solar powered ship thing and the sling shot thing I could see coming but I still liked that both were used.

Eli in the friend zone is so sad. More women for nerds I say.

I really liked how they just left the one guy on deck. At first I thought it was odd but then thought what does it matter they are all dead, might as well let him sleep.