Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reviewing each B5 episode from the beginning....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviewing each B5 episode from the beginning....

Right so I just ordered the complete B5 boxset from amazon last night and decided I would start this thread off. Much in the same way there was a thread for SG1 from the beginning not too long ago. I'll start with all of B5 and watch the movies in their appropriate places and then move on to Crusade. I will however leave the B5 finale until last to leave the whole thing on a bit of a high note. (afterall crusade was never that great)

I'll be getting the set within the next 5 days at which point I'll start with 'The Gathering' So in the spirit of this.....

"I was there at the dawn of the third age of mankind. It began in the Earth year 2257 with the founding of the last of the Babylon stations. Located deep in Neutral Space. It was a port of call for refugees, smugglers, business men, diplomats and travelers from a hundred worlds. It could be a dangerous place. But we accepted the risk because Babylon 5 was our last, best hope for peace............Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon Stations.............This is its story..........."
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Right so I just ordered the complete B5 boxset from amazon last night and decided I would start this thread off. Much in the same way there was a thread for SG1 from the beginning not too long ago. I'll start with all of B5 and watch the movies in their appropriate places and then move on to Crusade. I will however leave the B5 finale until last to leave the whole thing on a bit of a high note. (afterall crusade was never that great)

I'll be getting the set within the next 5 days at which point I'll start with 'The Gathering' So in the spirit of this.....

"I was there at the dawn of the third age of mankind. It began in the Earth year 2257 with the founding of the last of the Babylon stations. Located deep in Neutral Space. It was a port of call for refugees, smugglers, business men, diplomats and travelers from a hundred worlds. It could be a dangerous place. But we accepted the risk because Babylon 5 was our last, best hope for peace............Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon Stations.............This is its story..........."
    When I got the DVDs, I basically did the exact same thing. I started with In the Beginning though as I wanted to go through the entire B5 timeline in chronological order. It was an interesting experience for me because the last time I had watched the series like that was when B5 first aired.

I appreciated B5 even more because my perspectives on life had changed. It actually inspired an introspective phase for me where I was reflecting on the changes I had undergone as a person from when B5 first aired until fairly recently. I saw what changed and, more importantly, why. It was just the sort of thing that G'Kar would have encouraged and advocated.
    sigpic

Comment

I appreciate B5 even more now due to the lack of good Sci-Fi shows on TV today. I thought SGA was OK in places, but the overall feel of the series was too much like SG-1. I just saw the first 3 hours of SGU and I am very underwhelmed by it. It is way TOO derivative of successful Sci-Fi/Fantasy shows of the last few years. It may get better, but it shouldn't be as bad as I thought it was. I guess I give the start of B5 much more room for error due to it was a brand new show and concept whereas SGU almost has the same writers, producers, and crew from the last 12 years. So I blame it on a weak introductory storyline.

B5 had some bad episodes in its 1st year, but it kept getting stronger towards the end of that season. The 2nd season and on were pretty much great Sci-Fi in my view. I guess I enjoyed how 1990's Sci-Fi shows were put together with the filming techniques and story lines. There were not that many good shows in this decade in my opinion.

Too bad Crusade didn't have a chance to continue because I thought it was just getting good. I would have really liked it if TNT executives hadn't tried to micro-manage the show and we were able to see what JMS had planned for the show.

I think I might get out my B5 DVD's and start from the beginning too. There is not much else on TV I watch right now.
      Spoiler:
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Redhooks View Post
        B5 had some bad episodes in its 1st year, but it kept getting stronger towards the end of that season. The 2nd season and on were pretty much great Sci-Fi in my view. I guess I enjoyed how 1990's Sci-Fi shows were put together with the filming techniques and story lines. There were not that many good shows in this decade in my opinion.

Too bad Crusade didn't have a chance to continue because I thought it was just getting good. I would have really liked it if TNT executives hadn't tried to micro-manage the show and we were able to see what JMS had planned for the show.
        Even in the 1st season there were some good episodes. I think at that point, there were lots of outside writers brought into the mix and the focus of the overall B5 arc wasn't in place. But you're right about season 2. Sheridan's presence and the Shadow storyline building up really gripped my interest.

I was so disappointed with TNT's meddling. I was looking forward to another 5-years of B5 storylines. Crusade had so much potential with the Technomages and the Drakh.

With the DVDs though there's always the opportunity to go back and "reread" the book. I've never tired of B5.
        sigpic

Comment

Working my way through Season 4 for the first time. Envy my newbiehood!

Started over with my mother on the side while I keep moving forward on my own time, so she could get into it as well. I cringed at a number of Season 1 episodes, but she grinned and just called them for what they were: world building. It's a bit of a necessary evil, and it saved JMS a ton of exposition so that the Shadow War story could flow.
          Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan View Post
            Working my way through Season 4 for the first time. Envy my newbiehood!

Started over with my mother on the side while I keep moving forward on my own time, so she could get into it as well. I cringed at a number of Season 1 episodes, but she grinned and just called them for what they were: world building. It's a bit of a necessary evil, and it saved JMS a ton of exposition so that the Shadow War story could flow.
            Season 4 was pretty awesome. You'll love it! Definitely a different feel than season 3. It's hard to describe. I guess the B5 heroes just got tired of getting kicked around. When a person is backed into a corner, you either crumble into a heap or get real fierce and fight back. I think you already know which path the B5 crew takes.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
              Season 4 was pretty awesome. You'll love it! Definitely a different feel than season 3. It's hard to describe. I guess the B5 heroes just got tired of getting kicked around. When a person is backed into a corner, you either crumble into a heap or get real fierce and fight back. I think you already know which path the B5 crew takes.
              Tired of being kicked around? I just watched Intersections in Real Time. Sheridan ought to be used to it by now.

And Garibaldi's arc this season is an interesting take on the character. I totally called the ending of The Face of the Enemy. Bester being listed in the opening credits made me suspicious, but I saw Michael just screaming in rage at the end coming a mile away.

I know Ivanova is gone for Season 5, but tell me it doesn't disappoint. Lie if you have to.

Comment

Tired of being kicked around? I just watched Intersections in Real Time. Sheridan ought to be used to it by now.

And Garibaldi's arc this season is an interesting take on the character. I totally called the ending of The Face of the Enemy. Bester being listed in the opening credits made me suspicious, but I saw Michael just screaming in rage at the end coming a mile away.

I know Ivanova is gone for Season 5, but tell me it doesn't disappoint. Lie if you have to.
                Wow, you're that far along in season 4? Then the best is yet to come. The B5 crew gets to kick back.

Without spoiling anything for season 5, I would say that its tone and focus is markedly different than the other seasons. Seasons 3 and 4 were heavy on action and plot lines unfolding and coming together (like Face of the Enemy). Season 5 is more empire building (JMS' own description) and tragic drama.

Season 5 definitely has my favorite opening sequence of all the seasons. I never get tired of watching it. In fact, I never skip it because it's that good--especially the counterpoint between the music (truly stirring) and what you're seeing.
                sigpic

Comment

The Shadow War and Narn-Centauri war arcs really set up Londo and G'Kar as tragic figures, Londo more than most. Given JMS's penchant for sticking to his future timeline as much as his past, I'm very curious to see just how much worse it gets for Londo before he dies.

Comment

Your a lucky man.
                    If i could erase one tv series from my head so i could rewatch it from new would be B5.

greatest scifi show of all time.

Comment

The Shadow War and Narn-Centauri war arcs really set up Londo and G'Kar as tragic figures, Londo more than most. Given JMS's penchant for sticking to his future timeline as much as his past, I'm very curious to see just how much worse it gets for Londo before he dies.
                      Season 5 and beyond really made me feel sorry for Londo.

Spoiler:
                      Despite his terrible choices in the first 3 seasons, somewhere around season 4 you got the feeling he was headed towards a better path. By season 5, you knew he genuinely changed and became a better person. Because he did change and tried to atone, it made his fate at the hands of the Drakh that much more tragic. If you want to get insights on how bad it really gets for him, as well as how he is ultimately remembered by his people and the Interstellar Alliance--remembered with great honor--the canon trilogy Legions of Fire really explores this.

Originally posted by sinderg View Post
                      Your a lucky man.
                      If i could erase one tv series from my head so i could rewatch it from new would be B5.

greatest scifi show of all time.
                      As much as I've enjoyed other science fiction throughout the years, Babylon 5 stays with me in a way that the other shows didn't. I hope that one day, JMS will revisit B5 in some way. The Lost Tales were great but B5 canon is so rich that you know there has to be more stories to tell.
                      sigpic

Comment

I watched Objects at Rest three days ago. I've been putting off the finale because I just can't bear to see it go.

Lyta's arrest scene in The Wheel of Fire, with everyone tapping their fingers, was downright chilling. Last time I go OT here: has anything been announced, planned, done, or scrapped to cover the Telepath War? Wikipedia had a brief description of Lyta, Lennier, and Bester's fates, but the idea of a pissed off Lyta taking on Psi Corp has me both curious and... anxious.

Comment

I watched Objects at Rest three days ago. I've been putting off the finale because I just can't bear to see it go.

Lyta's arrest scene in The Wheel of Fire, with everyone tapping their fingers, was downright chilling. Last time I go OT here: has anything been announced, planned, done, or scrapped to cover the Telepath War? Wikipedia had a brief description of Lyta, Lennier, and Bester's fates, but the idea of a pissed off Lyta taking on Psi Corp has me both curious and... anxious.
                          The Wheel of Fire was one of my favorite episodes of season 5. I think it effectively tied together many of threads throughout the season--and yes, Lyta was one of the reasons I liked that episode so much.

Crusade was supposed to have a few flashbacks about the Telepath War. Had that show continued, there was going to be planned TV movie about the War. Unfortunately that never panned out. Some of the War is described in the Psi Corps trilogy.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X