This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxillery control room

While i was rewatching some old Atlantis episodes something occurred to me. In two occasions when the control/gate room is destroyed (return part 2 and the lost tribe part 2) both the asurans and the expedition set up an auxiliary control room using other consoles found. now it was stated by an asuran that the control room used by them was incapable of supporting so many systems.

Now the thing that struck me as odd is why did they us the actual auxiliary control room, it was stated in the epi "the tower" by mckay that the layout was identical and this would imply that Atlantis has the same auxiliary control room as the city ship in the tower because rodney knew exactly where to go.

so my question is, why for both occasions and other occasions that i may have forgot about did they not use the actual auxiliary control room because it would have done a lot better job than the makeshift ones they used?

The standard answer to any question like this - because the writers forgot
    I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Or if you want to justify it in the mythology and not bash the show for a few minor inconsistencies in 314 epsisodes, there are multiple auxiliary control rooms, the other one was affected somehow, other one was in use.....there are lots of potential was to explain this error.
      I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianomancuber View Post
        Or if you want to justify it in the mythology and not bash the show for a few minor inconsistencies in 314 epsisodes, there are multiple auxiliary control rooms, the other one was affected somehow, other one was in use.....there are lots of potential was to explain this error.
        I wasn't bashing the show...as a matter of a fact, I was saying that in 314 episodes, you should expect a few minor inconsistancies - it would be better if there was an explaination, as it maintains the suspension of disbelief, but to ask the question expecting a definitive answer is taking the show a little too seriously.
        I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Originally posted by apollo22 View Post
          While i was rewatching some old Atlantis episodes something occurred to me. In two occasions when the control/gate room is destroyed (return part 2 and the lost tribe part 2) both the asurans and the expedition set up an auxiliary control room using other consoles found. now it was stated by an asuran that the control room used by them was incapable of supporting so many systems.

Now the thing that struck me as odd is why did they us the actual auxiliary control room, it was stated in the epi "the tower" by mckay that the layout was identical and this would imply that Atlantis has the same auxiliary control room as the city ship in the tower because rodney knew exactly where to go.

so my question is, why for both occasions and other occasions that i may have forgot about did they not use the actual auxiliary control room because it would have done a lot better job than the makeshift ones they used?
          Considering that it is on the outskirts of the city (on one of the piers) it was probably too far away from the central area of the city. As well, it could have been damaged by flooding in season 1.
          Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
          encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
          3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

maybe when the control room is destroyed, so is all the support systems for all of the city, as such re-routing them through an auxiallry control room, either the normal one or the one they set up, is not able to handle everything. they are not in a position to control the city without the control room.

think of it like a dam, if you destroy the machines which open and close the valves, the computer which controls those valves is pointless. you may have to create a new machine quickly to open some valves to relieve pressure and get things back to as normal as possible but your not going to have an easy time.

either that or the aux. control room was flooded for a hundred years and doesnt work

Comment

This is a myth lost throughout the years...best we forget about it
              Tst

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
                Yeah, that's pretty much my answer, too...

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
                  Its to be expected that a few small things (like an auxillary control room or something) would contain an anomaly over such a long time.

Surely as long as they don't forget what shape the Stargate is they can be forgiven for small things.
                  sigpic

Comment

Maybe because a lot of the systems that the humans use can't be re-routed to the Atlantis Auxiliary Control Room eg Helon Fire Supression system, Human Computer Network?
                    sigpic
                    Made by Aragon101

Spoiler:
                    Episode III: Phantasm.
                    "Shadows are patient, shadows just wait...'til they cover the occeans, the cities...the whole of the world. Shadows always win."

Comment

Working...
                    X