Mary Sue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary Sue?

Can someone please explain to me in simple terms what a Mary Sue is? Maybe give me an example or three?

I've seen the Wiki entry and it was no help... way too many words, too much for my simple, dense brain to comprehend.

Thank you.
    sigpic
    Sig by ME.

So, no one wants to tell me then?
    sigpic
    Sig by ME.

Comment

check this out
      http://www.ponylandpress.com/ms-test.html

basically, a mary sue, or marty stu (the male equivalent) is a too good to be true character. Best friends of the team, long lost sibling of a member of the team. they're often the personification of the author. they are the quinticential outsider granted access to the inside
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

From what I can tell they are just basically a person that is perfect; super-smart, super-nice, everyone like them, etc.
        http://epsilon.astroempires.com/?ref=E.94116

Comment

mary sue's/marty stu's are 'practically perfect in every way'

so perfect, in fact, that they simply cannot be real. they are often the author's avatar in the story, even sharing physical attributes or what they wish thier attributes are, with the author.

sigpic

Comment

wow, the character Amann in my stories got uber sued >_< 67.....ouch. But he isnt by the conventional standard......*shrugs* It is lol though
            sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity000 View Post
              From what I can tell they are just basically a person that is perfect; super-smart, super-nice, everyone like them, etc.
              like Carter
              Stolen Kosovo
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                Thank you for this link. I took the test and one of my OC's(my very first one) scored, well, pretty darn high. I hadn't even heard the term "Mary Sue" way back when I created her, when I was much younger. I had a feeling she might be one once I started hearing about Mary Sues. I'm not changing anything about her tho, I like her too much the way she is. There is a chance that the test is wrong about her so... yeah, I'm good.

If anyone is interested her name is Katherine "Kat" O'Neill. (yes, that O'Neill) More here.
                sigpic
                Sig by ME.

Comment

i think if you ran cam mitchell through that test he'd score pretty high too

sigpic

Comment

You know, that's an interesting idea, trying to run the already created characters through the test.

I tried with Cam to start with and I got a 39 with my estimations.
                    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 25 September 2009, 07:12 PM.
                    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                    X