PDA

View Full Version : X-Men 4 - News/Speculation/Discussion

Madwelshboy
September 22nd, 2009, 12:39 AM
X Men 4 And New Mutants Movies In The Works!

At a Fox Blu-Ray press event in Beverly Hills, Lauren Shuler Donner, X-producer responsible for all of the mutant movies so far, first addressed the (supposed) Tweets by actor Tim Pockock(young Cyclops in Wolverine) which stated..

"currently shooting Australian TV series till February 2010…then X-men first class ;)"

Followed by this...

"victim of cruel prank.last tweet=NOT me.AM filming Aussie show till2010.no official word on XM:FC but am interested.please post retraction."

Shuler claims there is no truth to this whatsoever, and although there is a First Class movie in the works, no shoot date has been confirmed nor any actors signed on at this stage.

When asked what other Mutant related projects we could be seeing in the future, she said she is currently "cooking up plans for" X4, reuniting the X-Men and a big screen outing for The New Mutants. X4, she said, had yet to be pitched to the studio, however.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=10241

the fifth man
September 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Personally, if they could get everybody back, I would love to see a fourth X-Men movie. I loved the first 3.

Madwelshboy
October 12th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Is Bryan Singer going to return and save X-Men 4?

In a bit of unexpected but welcome news, Bryan Singer said he's interested in directing the next X-Men movie for Fox, and that he's been discussing the idea with the movie studio. You may recall that after directing the first two X-Men movies (which made a lot of money while also earning respect from X-Men fans), Singer decided to make Superman Returns while Brett "Rush Hour" Ratner directed X-Men: The Last Stand.
You might also recall that neither of the last two films was thought of as particularly good, while Gavin Hood's attempt at X-Men Origins: Wolverine was generally considered to be pretty horrible. It's been unclear exactly where the X movie franchise will go from here, and with what director or directors.

Now The Hollywood Reporter says that during a talk at South Korea's Pusan International Film Festival, Singer told the audience: "I'm still looking to possibly returning to the X-Men franchise. I've been talking to Fox about it."

That might be good news for both the X-Men franchise and Singer, whose plans for a Battlestar Galactica movie were met with a collective "Huh?" from fans, and whose Logan's Run remake was last seen headed for Carousel

http://scifiwire.com/2009/10/is-bryan-singer-going-to.php

the fifth man
October 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I would definitely welcome Singer back to direct the next X-Men movie.

Col.Foley
October 12th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Wow an X-Man movie again...I mean wow...wait they are not talking about Origins right?:P

Madwelshboy
October 13th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Wow an X-Man movie again...I mean wow...wait they are not talking about Origins right?:P

In total, these 6 X-releated movies in development.

the fifth man
October 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Good thing I love the X-Men Universe.:D

Madwelshboy
March 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Shuler Donner also has pitched Singer on doing a fourth installment of the previously established "X-Men" franchise and Jackman had that lunch with Singer to coax him into a project as well, which may or may not be a "Wolverine" film, which Jackman has said will be set in Japan and released in 2011. "I wish I could be four people," the director said with a moan. "I could make everybody happy."

Singer turned to Shuler Donner and said of "X-Men 4": "Hold that one off for just a little, I'm fixated on the other one right now." She nodded and answered, "I will, I will ... I'm holding it open with high hopes. It's totally different [from 'First Class'] and it will be so interesting for you."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/03/bryan-singer-and-the-xmen-together-again.html

Replicator Todd
March 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I hope that there is an X-Men 4 with the original cast, and alot better than the third.

nx01a
March 18th, 2010, 03:36 PM
X4 will just be another Wolverine and the X-Men movie.
I'm far more psyched about seeing the original X-Men taught by Mags and Prof X aka X-Men: First Class.

gotthammer
March 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I'd sooner see an Excalibur movie... :D
I was really disappointed w/ the 3rd X-men movie. (Wolverine was 'just ok')

TheRandomOne
March 18th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Since movie X-Men loves Wolverine so much just start adapting the cartoon Wolverine & The X-Men storyline from Season 1. Would be awesome & fit with the Wolverine love lol. Though they would have to explain the return of Jean & Scott though. But Im sure most fans would like to ignore those deaths

nx01a
March 18th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I've tried to ignore X3 altogether apart from the Phoenix being Jean's supressed psychic potential manifesting as a split personality. That was well done. Oh, and Magneto thinking a human Mystique was ugly. :DClearly delusional.

Major_Griff
March 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I hope X4 is good. I love the X-Men, but X3 was horrible, and Wolverine was decent, but left much to be desired.

the fifth man
March 18th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I didn't mind X-Men 3 as much as some apparently did. I welcome the possibility of a fourth movie.

Pharaoh Atem
March 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
has apocalypse been delt with in the past 3 movies??

nx01a
March 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Nope. And I hope he never is.
Arguing this earlier with fellow comic book geeks and the conclusion we came to was that X4's best bet for a good story would be 'Days of Future Past'. The cinema-going audience always seems to love a time-travel/post-apocalyptic story.

Major_Griff
March 18th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I didn't mind X-Men 3 as much as some apparently did. I welcome the possibility of a fourth movie.

When X3 first came out, I thought it was pretty good, but then after a few viewings, I started to like it less and less, especially when watching it after X2 (the best of the series, imo).

jmoz
March 18th, 2010, 11:51 PM
They sort of made X3 like it was the last killing off a lot of people. Personally, I liked the cartoon Wolverine than this one. Not nearly as gritty and badass. Juggernaut filled that role instead surprisingly. And Magneto isn't nearly as cool and powerful as the one in the cartoons. And I may have missed this or not paid attention, but wasn't Rogue supposed to be a flying super strong chick?

I don't mind a new movie though as long as the characters are more engrossing. Always nice to see the special effects and visuals.

Replicator Todd
March 18th, 2010, 11:56 PM
has apocalypse been delt with in the past 3 movies??

You haven't seen them?!

Major_Griff
March 19th, 2010, 08:24 AM
They sort of made X3 like it was the last killing off a lot of people. Personally, I liked the cartoon Wolverine than this one. Not nearly as gritty and badass. Juggernaut filled that role instead surprisingly. And Magneto isn't nearly as cool and powerful as the one in the cartoons. And I may have missed this or not paid attention, but wasn't Rogue supposed to be a flying super strong chick?

I don't mind a new movie though as long as the characters are more engrossing. Always nice to see the special effects and visuals.

Rogue gets those powers from Ms. Marvel. Rogue touched her for so long that she permanently absorbed her powers. They decided that they didn't want to go through that much backstory in the films.

nx01a
March 19th, 2010, 03:02 PM
'Age of Apocalypse' Rogue got her powers from touching Polaris [which is basically like touching Magneto]. They just made her able to create a magnetic field around her body to give her strength, flight, durability, etc. I was hoping that was what they were going for in X1. :(

Pharaoh Atem
March 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM
You haven't seen them?!

nope. wish i had but i was a different person then. going to the movies did not interest me at all.

Replicator Todd
March 19th, 2010, 10:09 PM
nope. wish i had but i was a different person then. going to the movies did not interest me at all.

They are very cheap on DVD now, the collection/trilogy is 15 bucks!

Pharaoh Atem
March 20th, 2010, 02:02 AM
They are very cheap on DVD now, the collection/trilogy is 15 bucks!

i can easily get it on netflix

Replicator Todd
March 20th, 2010, 09:03 AM
i can easily get it on netflix

Screw Netflix! Sorry I hate renting....but do it, X2 is amazing.

the fifth man
March 20th, 2010, 08:19 PM
However you would choose to see them, make sure you do. I don't think you will regret it one bit.

jmoz
March 20th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Think Phoenix will be back? Or Scott?

nx01a
March 20th, 2010, 10:25 PM
In the First Class movie, I'd hope. Bringing them back would be tricky, but they're X-Men. Death is just another obstacle to be overcome. :D Over and over and over again. :o

Killdeer
March 20th, 2010, 10:35 PM

What are the six movies? I know about the First Class movie, and I've read there's a second Wolverine movie being talked about, so I guess that's two. What are the other four?

nx01a
March 21st, 2010, 12:56 AM
First Class, X4, Wolverine 2, Deadpool... Magneto's movie been scrapped for his appearance in First Class, hasn't it? And the sixth? Hmm.

Madwelshboy
March 21st, 2010, 01:05 AM
First Class, X4, Wolverine 2, Deadpool... Magneto's movie been scrapped for his appearance in First Class, hasn't it? And the sixth? Hmm.

That's about it, but these also the New Mutants (though its only a pitched idea at this point). When i wrote that post, way back when it was pre Magneto being scrapped. So their were 6 indevelopment at that time, but now only 5.

SaberBlade
March 21st, 2010, 04:08 AM
That's about it, but these also the New Mutants (though its only a pitched idea at this point). When i wrote that post, way back when it was pre Magneto being scrapped. So their were 6 indevelopment at that time, but now only 5.

I'd say only 4. I can't see Magneto being done for a few more years, if at all. Especially if they plan to use McKellen as he'll be off travelling Middle Earth again.

I just can't see New Mutants or Magneto being done. Once Deadpool is done, depending on the success of it, I think a sequel to it would be the first thing the studio would want. The same thing could happen with Wolverine 3, but that would probably be delayed because they wouldn't dare an X-Men sequel without Hugh Jackman (since they are unofficial Wolverine movies anyway).

The only way I would believe either being done, with First Class, Deadpool and Wolverine 2 in active development (last I heard), if they get Singer to direct X4 after First Class, that could at least stall a Wolverine sequel by using Jackman in that, meaning they could do Deadpool 2 and X4 at the same time, so the studio could decide to press ahead with New Mutants or Magneto.

Killdeer
March 21st, 2010, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the info. :) So there is an actual X4 movie in development? I've seen various references to an X4 movie, but I figured it was referring to First Class or one of the other X-men movies. (ok yes I can be clueless sometimes) I just didn't realize they were actually planning to follow up X3.

I'd like to see X4 if they could somehow undo what was done in X3, and bring back Jean and Scott and the Professor. :S I really didn't care for X3 much. :(

Major_Griff
March 21st, 2010, 09:45 AM
Well I think in the scene after the credits they teased the Professor coming back since his consciousness was in that comatose guy's body.

On a sad note though, I think I read somewhere that Patrick Stewart said that it would be unlikely for him to return as Xavier. I don't feel like looking for the link, but it was in the news desk section of his IMDb page, I think.

SaberBlade
March 21st, 2010, 10:49 AM
Considering how X3 ended, I don't believe we could see Stewart again, however like a bad cartoon plot, they kept his voice despite being in that other guys body. I'd also expect him to have lost his telepathic abilities since new body = new DNA = no X-Gene, so I don't think he'd be much use as he's no longer the most powerful psychic in the world. Best they could do with Stewart is some dubbing.

Jumper_One
March 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Well I think in the scene after the credits they teased the Professor coming back since his consciousness was in that comatose guy's body.

On a sad note though, I think I read somewhere that Patrick Stewart said that it would be unlikely for him to return as Xavier. I don't feel like looking for the link, but it was in the news desk section of his IMDb page, I think.

this?

With Bryan Singer's adaptation of X-Men: First Class to focus on the mutant superheroes in their youth, Patrick Stewart, who played Professor Charles Xavier in all three previous X-Men movies, doesn't think he'll be used in the prequel.

*snip**
http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/5730/patrick-stewart-not-sure-about-x-men-first-class-return-maybe-mad-max-4-instead

SaberBlade
March 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM
Well that is a different matter. He has to be used in First Class because X3 and Wolverine show he's been there from the start. Even if they have to do a ton of digital effects making Stewart younger, he has to be there. With X4, I'd completely understand he decided not to return, but he has to be there. It would be stupid to do First Class without Xavier, and stupider to do Xavier without Stewart.

Madwelshboy
March 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM
Considering how X3 ended, I don't believe we could see Stewart again, however like a bad cartoon plot, they kept his voice despite being in that other guys body. I'd also expect him to have lost his telepathic abilities since new body = new DNA = no X-Gene, so I don't think he'd be much use as he's no longer the most powerful psychic in the world. Best they could do with Stewart is some dubbing.

It was revealed in the DVD commentary (granted that dosent count as on screen canon) that the body was the identical twin of Charles Xavier, whose mind had been crippled and destroyed due to Charles's growing powers in their mother's womb

Killdeer
March 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM
So where do you all think they would go with an X4 film? Do you think they'd try to bring Jean and Scott and the Professor back somehow, or do you think they'd just go on without them and focus on Storm and Wolverine and the others?

*Just as a side note, my knowledge of X-men outside of the movies is pretty limited - I haven't read the comics.

Edit:

It was revealed in the DVD commentary (granted that dosent count as on screen canon) that the body was the identical twin of Charles Xavier, whose mind had been crippled and destroyed due to Charles's growing powers in their mother's womb
OK, so they could bring the professor back, if they can talk Patrick Stewart into coming back?

SaberBlade
March 21st, 2010, 11:33 AM
So where do you all think they would go with an X4 film? Do you think they'd try to bring Jean and Scott and the Professor back somehow, or do you think they'd just go on without them and focus on Storm and Wolverine and the others?

*Just as a side note, my knowledge of X-men outside of the movies is pretty limited - I haven't read the comics.

Edit:

OK, so they could bring the professor back, if they can talk Patrick Stewart into coming back?

X4 should be about the X-Men, not Wolverine. Have Storm, Beast, Rogue (as her powers will eventually return), Ice Man, Colossus, Shadow Cat and Angel, try to focus on them and less on Wolverine. They also need to do a new villain, someone who is not Magento. Maybe Sinister, perhaps the Sentinels, I couldn't see Apocalypse unless they toned him down a lot.

After what happened to Mystique in X3, I'd like to see her get her abilities back and join the X-Men. Wolverine introduced Emma Frost, so would cool getting her into an X-Men movie. I do think it is important to get Nightcrawler back. They gave him an incredible intro in X2, then he was pretty much a MacGuffin after that.

What? Did they get Stewart to play that role too?. You got any idea at which part of the movie it says that during the commentary? I need to hear it for myself to believe that. It seems like a horrible soap opera twist. Does he even have a twin in the comics?

Madwelshboy
March 21st, 2010, 11:52 AM
What? Did they get Stewart to play that role too?. You got any idea at which part of the movie it says that during the commentary? I need to hear it for myself to believe that. It seems like a horrible soap opera twist. Does he even have a twin in the comics?

Its been ages since i've listened to it (I only remembered after seing it discussed else where recently), so i can only assume, without looking that its close to the end were the scene is. I think they got Stewart to do it. Both that scene an the Magneto chese scene where filmed as late additions and werent in the script. Yes he dose have an evil twin in the comics, well kinda in the none traditional sense called Cassandra Nova. So really these no comic, 'version' of what they suggested

SaberBlade
March 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
Its been ages since i've listened to it (I only remembered after seing it discussed else where recently), so i can only assume, without looking that its close to the end were the scene is. I think they got Stewart to do it. Both that scene an the Magneto chese scene where filmed as late additions and werent in the script. Yes he dose have an evil twin in the comics, well kinda in the none traditional sense called Cassandra Nova. So really these no comic, 'version' of what they suggested

I thought Cassandra Nova was an alien. Does he have, or ever had a twin in the normal sense? If he doesn't, makes me wonder if they we could see a twin for Cyclops and a twin for Jean, although she's been resurrected god knows how many times in the comics, she has her own production factory

Madwelshboy
March 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM
I thought Cassandra Nova was an alien. Does he have, or ever had a twin in the normal sense? If he doesn't, makes me wonder if they we could see a twin for Cyclops and a twin for Jean, although she's been resurrected god knows how many times in the comics, she has her own production factory

She was a astral plane parasite, that made a body by copying Xavier's DNA, somthing like that anyway. As for twin in the normal sense, not that i remember. In terms of Cyclops an Jean i guess), personally using Sinister mite be the best way to do a fairly straight forward resurrection. The only other thing i could think of would be some crazy time travel plot.

SaberBlade
March 21st, 2010, 12:33 PM
Time travel I could never see happening, as for a Sinister, too much background.
Sinister needs to be introduced, explaining how and why he brought them back, explaining the technology or powers behind how to do it.

I'm just hoping that if they do introduce Sinister, he won't bring anyone back. Cyclops was bad enough being emo with Jeans death, knowing Wolverine stabbed her would make him worse. Jean was pretty much built up and had her climax, so can't really do anything else. With this whole twin thing, I'd be happier with Xavier being dead. I think that with Xavier "gone", Jean and Cyclops dead, and with so many characters who could be used (and that X3 pretty much created a new stable team), X4 should just expand than worry about who has died but since Xavier has his twin body, get Stewart back but don't pay attention to him unless it turns into an "OMFG, Sinister has kidnapped Xavier and we must get him back".

the fifth man
March 21st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Above all else, I definitely want Xavier back in this one.

Replicator Todd
March 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM
Above all else, I definitely want Xavier back in this one.

Indeed, although I want Storm as the leader of he X-Men/ mansion for a while like she was for a while in the comics.

the fifth man
March 21st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Indeed, although I want Storm as the leader of he X-Men/ mansion for a while like she was for a while in the comics.

I would be fine with that. After all, Xavier could still be recovering from what had happened to him.

nx01a
March 21st, 2010, 11:18 PM
Days of Future Past!
That is all. :D

Replicator Todd
March 21st, 2010, 11:21 PM
Day of Future Past!

:indeed: One epic storyline. I thought X3 was going to be based off of that when it started, I was simply NO WAY! Then quickly....I went aw mannn. (I liked X3, but it could of been so much better IMO)

nx01a
March 22nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
Post-apocalyptic future, giant robots killing everyone, people travel back to stop that future from happening... X4: Termination. :D

Madwelshboy
March 29th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Did Mark Millar Turn Down Writing X-Men 4?

FOX JUST OFFERED ME X-MEN 4 THE TOUGHEST DECISION OF MY CAREER SO FAR...but I turned it down.

Why? I love the X-Men movies. The exec at Fox also seemed like a really smart guy who knows exactly what worked and didn't work about the earlier trilogy. He has an abiding love for the comics and knew my work better than I did. I have no doubt he's going to put together an amazing movie here because the people he's talking about behind the camera are all friends and heroes of mine. He also offered me massive scope with the story and I have an idea I really like, something that takes the franchise in a really fresh direction.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GulfCoastAvengers/news/?a=16365

nx01a
March 29th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Did Mark Millar try to bring more publicity to himself and his other projects? Yup.:D

the fifth man
March 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Days of Future Past!

That would be pretty freaking sweet!

SaberBlade
March 29th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I don't think we should expect David Hayter to return to write it. He's directing some new film which makes me afraid for his future.

'X-Men' writer to direct 'Wolves'

X-Men screenwriter David Hayter has signed to direct upcoming horror film Wolves.

According to Deadline, Hayter said that his movie is like "Twilight with a bit more bite to it, and without abstinence".

The filmmaker revealed that Wolves makes werewolf mythology “a metaphor for a teen maturing sexually into adulthood, at the age when young men howl at the moon".

Hayter also co-wrote Watchmen and is the voice of Solid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid video games.

I wonder if he even knows X4 is being done.

nx01a
March 29th, 2010, 07:30 PM
That concept sounds literally like Twilight... Only the X-Men can save his career now!

SaberBlade
March 30th, 2010, 03:41 AM
He needs to get his ass working on the Metal Gear Solid movie or X-Men 4. Comparing a movie to twilight then talking about teenage sexual maturity doesn't get me excited.

nx01a
March 30th, 2010, 11:44 AM
talking about teenage sexual maturity doesn't get me excited.I saw what you did there. :D It does nothing for me, either.
X4 is on the backburner for me. First Class seems to be the shiz.

Madwelshboy
March 28th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Producer Says X-MEN 4 & 5 In Active Development, DEADPOOL is ‘Total Reboot’

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movie-news/producer-says-x-men-4-5-in-active-development.php#ixzz1HupT4489

Replicator Todd
March 28th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Producer Says X-MEN 4 & 5 In Active Development, DEADPOOL is ‘Total Reboot’

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movie-news/producer-says-x-men-4-5-in-active-development.php#ixzz1HupT4489

Woah! Suhweet! I only hope the mistakes of The Last Stand is erased. Sometimes I think there should be a actual X-Men 3 made. By Brian Singer, in his vision....continuing from X2.

nx01a
March 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
X2 was the best X-Movie.
Deadpool as Deadpool should be... er... should be hilaR[-rated]ious.

Artha O'neill
March 28th, 2011, 04:59 PM
X-Men: First Class’ Emma Frost, Mystique and Beast in costume

http://blog.newsarama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/EmpireX-Men1.jpg

source (http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/03/28/x-men-first-class-emma-frost-mystique-and-beast-in-costume/)

Snowman37
March 28th, 2011, 06:13 PM
There's going to be an X4? Wouldn't FOX wait and see how First Class and Wolverine 2 do before green lighting another film?

Replicator Todd
March 28th, 2011, 06:50 PM
There's going to be an X4? Wouldn't FOX wait and see how First Class and Wolverine 2 do before green lighting another film?

Nope. FOX knows X-Men usually equals big bucks soooo....yeah. Plus if FOX stops making films Marvel gets the film rights I believe.

Snowman37
March 28th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I'm not suggesting FOX stop making the movies. I'm simply suggesting that the studio wait till First Class has a chance to succeed or fail before committing to another movie.

Replicator Todd
March 28th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I'm not suggesting FOX stop making the movies. I'm simply suggesting that the studio wait till First Class has a chance to succeed or fail before committing to another movie.

I understand, but in the past few years I've seen alot of major series getting sequels before one film is decided to be a success or failure. For example, Disney is supposedly already planning a Pirates of the Caribbean 5 and 6.

TheRandomOne
March 28th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Fans want X4 & any other movies continued from that then The Wolverine series & The Wolverine is having director trouble. So if that sequel is having trouble they should just sign Hugh Jackman to X4 & then with his help get as much as people as they can back together

Sp!der
March 29th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Seriously, how long do I have to wait to see X-Men: First Class? The wait is killing me. :(

Snowman37
March 29th, 2011, 02:27 PM
It'll be out in two months, premiers June 3rd.

Homer 120
September 26th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Wolverine 2 may be delayed, Hugh Jackman has signed on to play Jean Valjean in the movie musical version of ''Les Miserables''.

4thDoctor
September 26th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I was very disappointed that X-Men: First Class didn't use the actual first class of...
Cyclops
Marvel Girl
Angel (The real one, Warren Worthington III)
Iceman
Beast

SaberBlade
September 26th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I was very disappointed that X-Men: First Class didn't use the actual first class of...
Cyclops
Marvel Girl
Iceman
Beast

The problem with using the original First Class mutants is they've already been been used a lot in the original trilogy. Jean in all three, Cyclops in 1, 2 and a bit of 3, Ice Man was a bit of 1 and all of 2 and 3. Angel and Beast did show up in the third, but Angel got the most attention so it only really leaves Beast to have his story explored.

Other than that, First Class (the movie) is intended to be the beginning of a new trilogy. While they aren't really interested in keeping with the canon, so far they really haven't done much that can't be corrected in the next two movies, so having Cyclops, Jean, Angel and Ice Man wouldn't work at all given the 60s setting. They really need to determine if they plan on keeping the movies somewhat related to the original trilogy and Wolverine.

TheRandomOne
September 26th, 2011, 03:31 AM
How is it a problem if characters were already used ? Using the original characters & the way it should have been not only keeps things in line with the Comics. It would also help bring in more General Audience fans who may not be Comic Book fans but is more familiar with them due to the movies. I fail to see the issue with using characters already used. Wolverine & First Class are Alternate Universe movies separate from the original Trilogy

morrismike
September 26th, 2011, 04:31 AM
How is it a problem if characters were already used ? Using the original characters & the way it should have been not only keeps things in line with the Comics. It would also help bring in more General Audience fans who may not be Comic Book fans but is more familiar with them due to the movies. I fail to see the issue with using characters already used. Wolverine & First Class are Alternate Universe movies separate from the original Trilogy
Iceman, Jean, and cyclops weren't even alive (based on movie canon) during the cuban missile crisis. I would agree that not sticking to comic cannon sucks but the first 3 movies are already out so they can't change.

mr_kennedy
September 26th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Cyclops
Marvel Girl
Iceman
Beast

well while this isnt x-men 4, it all makes sense when you consider that this movie was set in a time before xavier established his own team or community of mutants (the x-men), that said the mutants in first class were a special op team for the government, xavier was merely an advisor so to speak, and i guess you could call Magneto Team Leader :lol:

If we do get a First Class sequel i bet that we will get those Mutants (cyclops, jean grey, beast, iceman & Angel)

There is still rumors going around that we may get a 4th x-men movie sequel but it could end up going the way of amazing spiderman who knows? if it is rebooted i bet Hugh Jackman will still play Wolverine, not that thats really a bad thing

Galileo_Galilee
September 26th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Wow. This will be Wolverine movie number five!

Nice!

4thDoctor
September 26th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Maybe it's because I was reading the X-Men comics prior to 1975 when the All-New, All-Different X-Men made the scene, but I still wanted the original X-Men for that film.

Snowman37
September 26th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Cyclops
Marvel Girl
Iceman
Beast
Given that I didn't follow the comic books, this doesn't bother me the least. Besides, none of them were around back then except for Beast. Well, Cyclops was a teenager in 1979, so it's possible he was around as a baby. Even if the movie had taken place closer to now, there's still the issue that Iceman was a teenage boy in the 2000 film. He wouldn't have been born when Cyclops joined Professor X's school in 1979 (X-Men Origins: Wolverine).

Did anyone really expect any of the X-Men films to devoutly follow the comic books? The mediums are so different; I say take the characters, take the stories, and do something new.

4thDoctor
September 27th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Well the comic book began in 1963 with all of the original X-Men as teen-agers, including Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, Beast & Iceman. X-Men: First Class was a reboot not a sequel, otherwise how was a much older Xavier able to walk into Jean's house in X-3 if the 20 something Xavier was crippled on the beach in XFC?

Snowman37
September 28th, 2011, 07:30 AM
X-Men: First Class was a reboot not a sequel, otherwise how was a much older Xavier able to walk into Jean's house in X-3 if the 20 something Xavier was crippled on the beach in XFC?
The movie was neither a reboot nor a sequel. It was a prequel to the original trilogy. Yes, Xavior is up and walking in the 1980's (The Last Stand) and 1979 (Wolverine) yet paralyzed in 1962 (First Class). The producers, director, and writers wanted to reinvigorate the X-Men movies. They wanted the movie to end with Magneto turning on Xavior and Xavior subsequently becoming paralyzed from the fallout. This conflicts with the timing of a flashback in the third film and a brief scene in Wolverine, but the production team didn't care. It's called retroactive continuity. Sometimes, you change something in favor of telling a better story. Later stories go with the retcon as if it had always been that way.

Another example of a retcon in First Class is Magneto's helmet. In the original X-Men film, Xavior was surprised that Magneto can block his thoughts. The helmet was a new tool for Magneto's war on humanity. First Class retcons this to Magneto gaining the helmet in 1962.

Sometimes, prequels play fast and loose with continuity because the people who made the older films didn't anticipate prequels.

the fifth man
September 28th, 2011, 08:37 PM
And if done right, I am just fine with continuity changes. Especially if the film turns out as good as First Class did.:)

nx01a
October 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Wow. This will be Wolverine movie number five!
Nice!You ain't lying. :(
And if done right, I am just fine with continuity changes. Especially if the film turns out as good as First Class did.:)Exactly. As long as the story is good and the changes aren't completely stupid, I'm willing to live with a reboot or preboot or whatever they call them now.

the fifth man
October 2nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
I just want another quality X-Men movie.

Snowman37
October 2nd, 2011, 07:59 PM
I've enjoyed every movie so far, bring on X4! :)