PDA

View Full Version : The Nox (107)

Pages : 1 [2]

Girlbot
June 10th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I really liked this episode. The concept of the Nox not needing to kill, and not needing the protection of the SG team, makes what the future could be all the more real. A world without war. Kudos for the Nox world:D

Tallifer
September 7th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Fantastic story. Armin Shimmerman and his fellow Nox were wonderfully otherworldy and fey. (They seemed like fairies: they had the wood elf culture in the forest and the high elfin city in the sky: like a 4th edition Eladrin vanishing tower.) 'Twas nice to see all the military bluster of the Jaffar and the Earthlings come to nought in the face of superior wisdom and enlightenment.

I laughed to see the ambush come to grief as well. And conversely cheered when the Stargate team was reduced to using their wits and sticks to defeat the Jaffar in the end.

9/10

armasiel
October 25th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I realise this has probably already been discussed but this thread was tl;dr :P

My view on The Nox is that they are very advanced both technologically and far along the evolutionary path much like the ancients were pre-ascention which would explain their abilities. Obviously their mental abilities don't seem to be as far along as the ancients were but they must be very close. Coupled with their pacifist nature and understanding of the way things are it's safe to assume that even if they were attacked and destroyed they would most likely ascend, so it may not be such a bad thing in their eyes.

HolyAngelQueenSG-1
December 15th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I love funny the Nox hair is grass. :lol: :nox: The jaffa blast shots hit Jack,Sam and Daniel is died. than but, the nox save life alive to Jack,Sam,Daniel and Teal'c in the Forset trees. :)

ChulaksPrincess
March 5th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I really enjoyed this episode. The ways of the Nox may have been strange, but they certainly are very wise.

"The very young do not always do as they are told."

Jack was right. That was definitely something to take back home.

Starfox1313
July 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I love this episode, but hate the knox. Just like I hate the tolans. Both of those civilizations are just as guilty as the Gao'uld. And in the long run it is what did in the tolans. If they would of taken out the Goa'uld when they new they could, many millions of lives would of been sparred.

shelsfc
August 3rd, 2011, 10:56 AM
Really like the Nox as a race. Although every time I watch this ep, it bugs me that they don't just tell SG-1 'we can protect ourselves, we're actually more advanced than you think we are, now get yourselves out of harms way, silly humans.' ...or something to that effect :P It just seems like if they wanted them to leave so much, that would have been the easiest way...

blueray
August 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I love this episode, but hate the knox. Just like I hate the tolans. Both of those civilizations are just as guilty as the Gao'uld. And in the long run it is what did in the tolans. If they would of taken out the Goa'uld when they new they could, many millions of lives would of been sparred.

the nox are passafists, and to their point of view that would involve having to distroy another race. as for the tolans they should have, but they too didn't want to intefer with other races or give technology.

Noxbait
August 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Really like the Nox as a race. Although every time I watch this ep, it bugs me that they don't just tell SG-1 'we can protect ourselves, we're actually more advanced than you think we are, now get yourselves out of harms way, silly humans.' ...or something to that effect :P It just seems like if they wanted them to leave so much, that would have been the easiest way...

:indeed:

lookupwardsnshare
August 5th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Luv the Nox

Good episode. Like the Nox costumes. Don't remember if we ever see skak'l again as part of apophis' jaffa.

Wish we saw more of the Nox throughout the series. I think we see them only one other time.

muziqaz
August 7th, 2011, 03:09 AM
That's where all begin for me with Stargate SG1. I mean from this episode I started to like the series, but I was hooked/addicted to it from The Fifth Race.
Anyway, this was really great episode. Even the climate was right to portrait The Nox. Very calm, relaxing :D It is one of the favorite episodes, because the episode's problems were solved not by SG-1 or other human team, but by Nox. That is what I wanted to see much more in other episodes, not humans saving much more advanced civs a**s but other way round. And the whole episode shows that humans are really really young and primitive. Like people saying oh there are no life on other planets or there are no aliens and stuff. Are we all knowing to state that? Oh there are no aliens who would visit earth to study us or to observe. If you don't detect them or see them, does not mean they are not there. I am not saying that opposite is true, but just don't think it is not possible :)

Originally Posted by shelsfc
Really like the Nox as a race. Although every time I watch this ep, it bugs me that they don't just tell SG-1 'we can protect ourselves, we're actually more advanced than you think we are, now get yourselves out of harms way, silly humans.' ...or something to that effect It just seems like if they wanted them to leave so much, that would have been the easiest way...

Or they could have sent SG1 back straight away. I think they did not want to get rid of us, I think as a very advanced race, they still wanted to see what we are like. They definitely know who we are, being in the gang of 4 great races and all, and they were just interested how far we've come. They did not show it to us.
I don't agree with others who think that Nox or Tolan should have come in and kicked Goa'uld to the corner of the galaxy saving millions of lifes. It is just how we think, save everyone. From our point of view they might be wrong by not interfering, from their point of view, we are wrong by disturbing Goa'uld. Maybe Nox evolved to the point where they do not concern themselves with material things, are not concerned about outside stuff. Look ancients killed themselves as a race because they experimented with stuff, Asgard disappeared because they tinkered with their genetic code and pursuing technological ways. I think Tolan got done by Goa'uld because they were still very young compared to Nox, or Asgard to be that ignorant of others. The Nox are so much further advanced than Tolan that they could afford themselves being ignorant of other civilisations primitive like Earthlings. And being out of site and not interfering with other civs matters is what kept them alive for so many generations up to this day. To be honest I wasn't big fan of Tolan myself, as they were only couple of hundred years further advanced than us, yet they treat us like very very primitive race, while Nox being 10s of thousands or even 100s of thousands years more advanced than us referred to us as young and tried teaching us something while remaining polite, not like Tolan posh divas :D
Jack: 'The very young do not always do as they're told. It's a little something once The Nox told me one time... Something worth taking home.'
That coming from Jack a military guy in that team shows that they are eager to learn and we have strong bases for the series.

muziqaz
August 7th, 2011, 03:14 AM
<...>Like the Nox costumes.
<...>
Wish we saw more of the Nox throughout the series. I think we see them only one other time.

Yes costumes were great, and during the most of the episode it was raining, so those hair decorations still remained in tact :)
And regarding their appearance in other episodes, I think writers of the SG1 wanted to remind us that Nox are not very outgoing, thus keeping their ways in their own planet.

Lieutenant Sparrow
August 7th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Not far into the ep and we get a bit of comedy already.

Daniel: Like a Humming bird?
Teal'c: With teeth :)

It's funny how the Jaffa are such terrible aim. And then Apophis gets the staff weapon and hits everyone with terrific accuracy.

Lunaeclipse
August 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Yes costumes were great, and during the most of the episode it was raining, so those hair decorations still remained in tact :)
And regarding their appearance in other episodes, I think writers of the SG1 wanted to remind us that Nox are not very outgoing, thus keeping their ways in their own planet.

But they're very friendly and trusting...

Lunaeclipse
August 8th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Not far into the ep and we get a bit of comedy already.

Daniel: Like a Humming bird?
Teal'c: With teeth :)

It's funny how the Jaffa are such terrible aim. And then Apophis gets the staff weapon and hits everyone with terrific accuracy.

lol ...and that's why he's (was) the boss...

Brother Freyr
August 8th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Luv the Nox

Twice that I recall. The Nox named Lya briefly appears at the SGC to help the stranded Tolons. Later, Lya serves as a judge for the triad that hears Skaara's case on Tolona.

muziqaz
August 9th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Yes, they are, but not that much to us ;)

Nindif
August 9th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I mean from this episode I started to like the series, but I was hooked/addicted to it from The Fifth Race.

Or they could have sent SG1 back straight away. I think they did not want to get rid of us, I think as a very advanced race, they still wanted to see what we are like. They definitely know who we are, being in the gang of 4 great races and all, and they were just interested how far we've come. They did not show it to us.

Jack: 'The very young do not always do as they're told. It's a little something once The Nox told me one time... Something worth taking home.'

Classic Episode! Easily in top 10 for Stargate History. Not because of the Goaul'ds awesome aim with a staff weapon :p but because of the mythology and ambiguity within the story and culture, costumes, performances, tone, set design. It's all beautiful.

The quote above sums up the entire franchise i think. We track Earths progress from a position of a wandering child to that of a leading elder. Nice allegory.

In hindsight (I have rewatched this episode many times now) I find the Dramatic Irony created from the Nox's power and knowledge being kept from SG-1 a great story element.

Nit pick: SG-1's ambush was laughably poor and borderline inept. The Goauld's accuracy is typically laughable.

But my biggest annoyance with the episode arises from the issues we learn about later in the series. Apophis is meant to be a God, whose power and knowlege is unquestionable by the Jaffa. Why then do they not questions Apophis's inability to capture or understand the Invisible Fenrii?

muziqaz
August 9th, 2011, 03:02 AM
One more question: Why didn't Goa'uld ever tried to destroy the Nox planet from space? Apophis knew planets location, so why not send could of motherships to destroy that what is unknown and impossible to challenge. Afterall, Apophis himself was pwnd by The Nox when they sent him through the gate out of the planet :)

fems
August 9th, 2011, 03:32 AM
But the Fenri weren't a threat to Apophis and if he could somehow get their ability he would be a very lucky Goa'uld. So, why destroy a planet that has a creature on it you can benefit from and that doesn't seem to be harming/threatening you?

muziqaz
August 9th, 2011, 04:19 AM
But the Fenri weren't a threat to Apophis and if he could somehow get their ability he would be a very lucky Goa'uld. So, why destroy a planet that has a creature on it you can benefit from and that doesn't seem to be harming/threatening you?

But he knows there is Nox people who are doing that disappearing thing. Later in the series those other invisible aliens(forgot their name) got wiped out, because they were invisible and possible danger to Goa'uld. remember this is evil Goa'uld we are talking about. We can understand that The Nox are pacifists and harmless, but Goa'uld will not come to the same conclusion easily. remember they try to exterminate civilizations which have some sort of superior technology which cannot be obtained by Goa'uld and they kill that what they don't understand or fear.
So Apophis now knows that Nox have a technology to make themselves invisible and he got his a** handed to him by The Nox, so being a Goa'uld, he would try to exterminate The Nox people. At least try and fail horribly :)

Jae'a
August 9th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Great way to get yourself killed, that... ;)

My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/3162.html)

Girlbot
August 9th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Insanity and logic rarely go together.
Apophis spent a lot of time in that sarcophagus of his. I'm pretty sure he was far from sane. Remember how it affected Daniel.

fems
August 9th, 2011, 07:09 AM
But he knows there is Nox people who are doing that disappearing thing. Later in the series those other invisible aliens(forgot their name) got wiped out, because they were invisible and possible danger to Goa'uld. remember this is evil Goa'uld we are talking about. We can understand that The Nox are pacifists and harmless, but Goa'uld will not come to the same conclusion easily. remember they try to exterminate civilizations which have some sort of superior technology which cannot be obtained by Goa'uld and they kill that what they don't understand or fear.
So Apophis now knows that Nox have a technology to make themselves invisible and he got his a** handed to him by The Nox, so being a Goa'uld, he would try to exterminate The Nox people. At least try and fail horribly :)

Oh, you meant after he learned of the Nox' existence? Well, we know the Nox took Apophis and sent him somewhere through the gate, it's possible they can do more than simply heal others and become invisible. Perhaps they erased the events from the planet from Apophis' mind. After all, SG-1 killed his Jaffa so Apophis was the only one to be returned through the gate.

muziqaz
August 9th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Great way to get yourself killed, that... ;)

My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/3162.html)

Ok, I like the Nox, they're nice and all, but in some ways they get on my nerves. I can't stand unconditional pacifism. It's a great way to get yourself hurt or killed. Especially on this show! Although in the Nox's case, they have their invisibility defence and a hidden floating island.
But at the end when one of them says to SG-1 "Maybe one day you'll learn that your ways are not the only ways.", we could say the same to them!

And Apophis is back! With the first appearence of his personal shield that bullets and staff-blasts can't get through but slower weapons can. When the team figure this out and Jack fires an arrow at him, I almost threw something a the TV when the Nox make him disappear. I was also rolling my eyes a lot when the Nox refused to let SG-1 do anything about Shak'l.

I'm still not sure I understand a part at the end, when Jack (I think) asks why they didn't say anything about their invisible island before and Daniel says "I think in their way, they did." How's that, Daniel? I guess subtlety is lost on me!

You are looking at them from our closed minded point of view. From later episodes and the whole series we can extrapolate that Nox been in this galaxy longer than any of races, even Asgard. So it is safe to assume that their way is the safest way for them and their way helped them survive for many thousands(10s,100s) of years.
The Nox are so advanced that we as a viewer must open our mind for our imagination on what is possible for The Nox, even though we might think that it is impossible.
regarding the sentence about your way is not the only way, I think they are nearing the time of ascension but not pushing it that much as Ancients did, as they were threatened by plague. being so close to the nature must mean something, as they are so close to their true nature. I suppose they hate seeing violence.
Regarding Daniels line, again read between the lines :) In many occasions they asked SG1 to leave and not to worry about them. But SG1 being Earthlings from great country of America assumed that they are dealing with some unevolved native tribe. They shut the possibility down that maybe The Nox being capable of making themselves invisible and reviving people can protect themselves. Or did they assume that it was just primitive magic and some primitive medicine?
We are watching people from other planet, and look at them through our point of view, which is extremely primitive compared to The Nox. I don't know if writers of the episode wanted us to see The Nox that way, but for me it seems that showing The Nox as they were in this episode they portrayed Nox as very different and experienced race.

muziqaz
August 9th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Oh, you meant after he learned of the Nox' existence? Well, we know the Nox took Apophis and sent him somewhere through the gate, it's possible they can do more than simply heal others and become invisible. Perhaps they erased the events from the planet from Apophis' mind. After all, SG-1 killed his Jaffa so Apophis was the only one to be returned through the gate.

Yes, I meant 'after he learned about Nox'.
I think Nox healed Apophis guards and sent them through the gate together, it would oppose The Nox 'way' to leave them dead :)
And yes it is possible that Nox erased the knowledge of the planet and The Nox itself. I never thought of that and I consider myself not the one who thinks that healing and invisibility was the only powers of the Nox ;)
Also The Nox said they will bury the gate. I don't believe they did that. Seeing how they could control the stargate and wormhole from later episodes I think they just locked their gate out of the network or something. And that showed how advanced they are.
Man, when I start thinking about The Nox, my mind starts flying all over the place, possibilities are endless.
I can use Jack's expression here: You have to love those people :D

KayLyne
August 9th, 2011, 12:58 PM
There was a pivotal point in this episode where I realized that this series was going to be a fun ride, for however long it lasted - when they actually killed the entire team! How many shows are there where their entire main cast of characters dies? And the plausibility factor didn't seem cheesy to me either.

Krisz
August 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Nothing is what it seems! The Nox really showed SG-1 that! :D

I actually forgot the beginning of this episode where the we first meet a government official in a long line of government officials to come, that believe the Stargate is for getting advanced technology for their own uses and advancement. This of course sets up a wonderful contrast to the Nox, who had left that sort of thinking behind long ago in their evolution. We see a peaceful innocence about them. but it hides the peace and contentment with things that comes from having great understanding and knowledge beyond that of the humans and the Goa'uld.

I love this sort of thing, SG-1 gets a lesson in humility, but the Nox have seen that the humans do understand and can accept different approaches to things. They are adaptable and the fact Anteaus showed them the level of their technology and knowledge showed that he believed the humans would take that away with them and understand it takes time to gain the wisdom to get to the level of the Nox. It's this great optimism about the human race I like in Stargate, and here we see the two sides of humanity, the politicians and warmongerers on Earth, and the few in the SGC on the side of human reason that understands taking steps to learn about and earn the trust and respect of those they meet on their travels is more important.

It was good to see this episode again after...wow I can't even remember when I last saw it!

Brother Freyr
August 9th, 2011, 11:12 PM
One more question: Why didn't Goa'uld ever tried to destroy the Nox planet from space? Apophis knew planets location.
Only Apophis, among the goa'uld, knows the truth of the Nox. I see two likely scenarios for what happens next.

1) Apophis dispatches a ship(s) but the Nox can ably protect themselves. We don't ever learn the extent of Nox abilities, however the Nox are an old and powerful species who seem quite unconcerned by the prospect of hostile spaceships. As one of the galaxy's four great races, we can trust that they know what they're doing.

2) Apophis doesn't send a ship simply because he has other priorities. Namely, Earth is an ever growing nuissance. Perhaps Apophis intends to eventually deal with the Nox after Earth is defeated. Even then, he'd probably try to capture some Nox (ha ha) before bombarding the planet from orbit. This scenario feels more likely to me, but either explanation works.

muziqaz
August 10th, 2011, 01:42 AM
What about Anubis? He clearly used his limited knowledge of the Ancient tech, and I suppose he knew about Asgard and Nox.
Though later on Goa'uld did not need invisibility as they had it(One episode when one of the system lords made his fleet invisible).

fems
August 10th, 2011, 05:19 AM
One episode when one of the system lords made his fleet invisible

Ironically, that was Apophis (The Serpent's Venom, 4x14).

It's possible Anubis knows of their existence but probably doesn't know the address of their home world. We don't even know if the other three races knew each other's locations, since they met up on a neutral planet. Not to mention that the Asgard don't seem to drop by the Nox every now and then to keep in touch, but they do visit Earth...

muziqaz
August 10th, 2011, 05:51 AM
We don't know if Asgard don't visit Nox. They might, though I think you are right. They had enough problems of their own.
regarding meeting place, I think Heliopolis was their initial meeting place for 1st meetings, just to get acquainted thus the 'book of knowledge with basic elements'. Later on they added their own writings on the wall to commemorate their meetings.
4 Races as advanced as they were should have managed to learn each other languages eventually and share the locations of their worlds.
Afterall it was happening quite a long time ago and for quite a long time :)
My imaginary timeline looks like this:
Ancients meet Furlings and Nox then after some time they meet Asgard. In my opinion I think Nox were the 1st to be met by Ancients in the beginning of their interstellar advances. I will leave Furlings out of it, as I have no idea of their tech status. Those two continued to evolve, Nox going their way, Ancients similar to humans exploring and evolving technically and spiritually. Of course they share their knowledge. Then after thousands of years of evolution Ancients invent the Stargate network and they meet Asgard who were in different galaxy as far as I remember. By that time Ancients were reaching their limits. They created an alliance of those 4 races, Asgard being the youngest, but enough advanced to be considered worthy of the place in alliance. After another couple of thousand years, Ancients were forced to ascend, Nox were left alone, Asgard continued pursuing technological advancements.
Though it makes me wonder why didn't Asgard ask for help from Nox about their genetic problems.
When I think of it, I have a limited imagination myself, but when I start to fantasise about Stargate universe, I feel that I would be able to make another 10 seasons of the show. I mean so many uncharted topics still there, even though Stargate series already touched so much :D
Sorry for OT.

LeftHandedGuitarist
August 10th, 2011, 06:52 AM
A great episode for the most part, establishing some interesting setups. The Nox are a pretty cool race, even if they look very silly! The episode also plays with viewer expectations quite well. Killing SG-1 off early on, though not making the stupid mistake of having that moment be the teaser before the credits, because we all know they can't really die. The gorgeous green rainy forests of Canada really are beautiful for this episode.

Some nitpicks from me, though:

- How did Teal'c know the gate address from memory?
- What are the odds that Apophis would be on the planet at the same time?
- It's been a while since I've seen lots of SG-1 episodes, and the later ones are very hazy for me, but don't the Goa'uld have invisiblity tech in later episodes?
- First mention of, "Shol'va!" First mention of 'First Prime'!
- Have the Nox not heard of the Goa'uld before? Given that they are later revealed to be one of the big four races in the universe, it seems a little odd.
- Teal'c talking about Shak'l: "He is very skilled at evading capture." Cut to Shak'l standing and shouting! Idiot!

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

muziqaz
August 10th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I think those 4 Nox people were just simple people not involved in planetary matter I suppose, so it is not like they were some leaders of Nox :) Even with Nox knowledge I would think every Nox would know everything there is to know :)

fems
August 10th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Some nitpicks from me, though:

- How did Teal'c know the gate address from memory?

Probably because it was a very important one? It was the planet with the invisible creatures and he'd been sent there (at least once) to capture one and Apophis killed two of his men for failing. I think that would leave an impression. And let's not forget Teal'c is a hundred years old, he probably has remembered a lot of important planets or missions Apophis sent him on.

- What are the odds that Apophis would be on the planet at the same time?

We don't know when Teal'c was sent on his mission to capture the Fenri. It's possible that Apophis sends a team every now and then or maybe he'd decided to accompany his Jaffa to increase the pressure or even do it himself as even his former first prime had failed to succeed.

- It's been a while since I've seen lots of SG-1 episodes, and the later ones are very hazy for me, but don't the Goa'uld have invisiblity tech in later episodes?

Yes, Apophis is capable of cloaking his entire fleet in season four. But that is probably just an upgrade from other cloaking abilities. Nirrti came up with a device to cloak herself. The Sodan warriors had cloaking abilities, etc etc.

- Have the Nox not heard of the Goa'uld before? Given that they are later revealed to be one of the big four races in the universe, it seems a little odd.

Actually, they knew of them just didn't know they went by "Goa'uld". It's possible the four races had a different name for them or they all have their own name in their own language.

LYA
The ones you speak of come to hunt the Fenri.

[...]

DANIEL
How long have the Goa'uld been coming here to hunt?
OPHER
Oh, as long as I can remember.

I think those 4 Nox people were just simple people not involved in planetary matter I suppose, so it is not like they were some leaders of Nox :) Even with Nox knowledge I would think every Nox would know everything there is to know :)

Actually, it would seem Opher is of high status.

O'NEILL
All right, look. Um…do you have any…elders…I could speak with? I don't think you're understanding what I'm…
ANTEAUS
Opher is one of the eldest of the Nox.

Jae'a
August 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM
You are looking at them from our closed minded point of view. From later episodes and the whole series we can extrapolate that Nox been in this galaxy longer than any of races, even Asgard. So it is safe to assume that their way is the safest way for them and their way helped them survive for many thousands(10s,100s) of years.
The Nox are so advanced that we as a viewer must open our mind for our imagination on what is possible for The Nox, even though we might think that it is impossible.
regarding the sentence about your way is not the only way, I think they are nearing the time of ascension but not pushing it that much as Ancients did, as they were threatened by plague. being so close to the nature must mean something, as they are so close to their true nature. I suppose they hate seeing violence.
Regarding Daniels line, again read between the lines :) In many occasions they asked SG1 to leave and not to worry about them. But SG1 being Earthlings from great country of America assumed that they are dealing with some unevolved native tribe. They shut the possibility down that maybe The Nox being capable of making themselves invisible and reviving people can protect themselves. Or did they assume that it was just primitive magic and some primitive medicine?
We are watching people from other planet, and look at them through our point of view, which is extremely primitive compared to The Nox. I don't know if writers of the episode wanted us to see The Nox that way, but for me it seems that showing The Nox as they were in this episode they portrayed Nox as very different and experienced race.
You're right, of course. I guess I was just kinda having trouble seeing things through their eyes for some reason. I usually don't have a problem seeing a situation from someone else's point of view, but for some reason I seem to have a bit of a mental block with this episode...
But now that I think about it, I'm beginning to get what Daniel meant, that they have their own ways of protecting themselves and such...
Thanks. :)

Matt G
August 10th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Another Sunday afternoon...another SG1 ep.

1. First impression was that "The Nox" was the creature they were trying to hunt.

2. Don't remember it registering that SG1 were actually killed, particularly as the main team surely wouldn't be killed seven eps in.

3. Nox are cute but annoying...understanding your enemy better usually just means understanding why they are bleeps!

4. Having said that, was impressed with the city when it finally showed up. Bottom line, they'll be allright.

SG3Marine
August 11th, 2011, 07:49 AM
The one thing I found funny in this episode was how the team was worried about the 3 Jaffa guarding Apophis. Later on 3 Jaffa would be considered a cakewalk.

SG1Member
August 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM
The Nox seem to have advanced minds, even to the point of being telepathic. Perhaps they normally communicate that way, since at the beginning of the episode they seemed unused to talking out loud. But they were able to learn English after only listening to it for a short time, Ophir was able to calculate his age in Earth years when Daniel described how we measure time, and he seemed to read Daniel's mind at one point. So the Nox are advanced in the way they think.

I would have liked to have seen the Nox more in the series, but like the Ancients, they probably don't like to get involved with galactic affairs!

dtheories
August 12th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Daniel's little hop as he turns to discover the Stargate's missing is probably one of the highlights of this ep for me. I rewind and play that a lot! ;-)
On my DVD, all of Apophis' audio track is missing. Adds to the humor, I think, as we watch him hippity hopping through the jungle. Daniel's pat on Jack's head to wake him 'not in heaven' that follows him gunning down 2 Jaffa without batting an eye shows how he's growing into the soldier the team needs him to be.
Your Way Is Not The Only Way.

chaddergate
August 12th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Really like the Nox - the people & the episode. They were such an original species, and I wish we could've seen them more. It was also cool to see Apophis again.

hlndncr
August 12th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I can see why the Nox didn't just chuck everyone back through the gate when they started to be a nuisance. It's not their way. ;)

FYI Shak'l does make another appearance.

Teal'c kills him in Cor-ai.

I don't think the team's attitude was arrogance, just ignorance, and that's the way the Nox saw it. In fact, I think the Nox were impressed that the team seemed to care so much about protecting those the weak and the helpless. (Just because their perceptions were wrong doesn't mean their intentions were bad, and the Nox are certainly wise enough to know that.) That's why, IMO, they chose to show the team their city and what they really were before sending them back through the gate.

http://signavatar.com/7792_s.gif

Starscape91
August 12th, 2011, 10:37 PM
One thing I find that sucks is that we never see any more Nox tech later on in the series.

hlndncr
August 13th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Well the Nox don't share with us because we're too young. They probably believe that the Asgard jumped the gun in that regard.

And while I love the Nox I can't see how they could have been brought in for many more stories (I'm impressed the writers were able to work Lya in a couple more times.) Really, there's only so much you can do on an action/adventure show with a race of pacifists.

http://signavatar.com/7792_s.gif

garhkal
August 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I can see why the Nox didn't just chuck everyone back through the gate when they started to be a nuisance. It's not their way. ;)

FYI Shak'l does make another appearance.

Teal'c kills him in Cor-ai.

Good catch.. Almost forgot that he was in that ep.

Starmover
August 13th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but this episode was alot like the original Star Trek - Errand of Mercy. They have a lot of similarities, substitute Goa'uld for Klingons lol. I like when Apophis appears in episodes. He always has that angry look on his face. He's the perfect recurring villan. Oh, and about the furlings... I bet if SGU had continued, the Destiny would have found that the strange energy readings was actually the furling homeworld. :hammond03: J/K

jelgate
August 14th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Their is something about awesomeness when an episode has the 4 Ancient Races. I love seeing Apophis and SG1 trying to battle him. Yes we know the threat he poses but how he practically killed SG1 with ease really shows how threating he is. I think that is missing in the pilot. We never saw Apophis in battle. I don't agree with the pacifism philosphy of the Nox but its something different then what we are used too. I wish we had saw more of them beyond thier two other appearences. Somehow although Teal'c should have seen Shak'al attack coming

poundpuppy29
August 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Loved this ep had it all

jlovette
August 15th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but this episode was alot like the original Star Trek - Errand of Mercy. They have a lot of similarities, substitute Goa'uld for Klingons lol. I like when Apophis appears in episodes. He always has that angry look on his face. He's the perfect recurring villan. Oh, and about the furlings... I bet if SGU had continued, the Destiny would have found that the strange energy readings was actually the furling homeworld. :hammond03: J/K

I just watched Errand of Mercy the other day (catching up with classic Trek on Netflix streaming), and you're exactly right.

This is one of the better episodes of first season. Apophis showing up is like the Smoking Man on X-Files. It makes you feel like the overall story is going to take a step forward. Of course, with the X-Files, I rarely understood what that step was. I got very excited when I first watched The Nox because it was the first time Apophis returned sinced the pilot, confirming that continued watching would be rewarded. Great episode!

juggernaut975
August 17th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Decent episode....although there was that infuriating 'You're too young a species for us to POSSIBLY ever deign ourselves to communicate with you yadda yadda yadda...'

Found it pretty interesting that this is the first time since the start of the season (iirc) that we see Apophis again.

Shows like this you figure that the lead antagonist would feature heavily in EVERY episode but that isn't the case with Stargate....Apophis is still the major threat but he's not going to cross paths with SG1 with any regularity....we're still taking our first steps out into the galaxy, we're still not ready to take Apophis on directly.

Which makes it all the more puzzling to see that Apophis himself is a part of the 'away team' searching for the Nox, lol. It probably would have made more sense to have him monitor his Jaffa from orbit, checking in and then discovering SG1. At this point he would then travel to the planet's surface.

As it stands it's like 'Hey, we need to find this incredibly secretive, native creature who can turn invisible....it's IMPERATIVE that we move around unseen....Shak'al, could you help me on with my incredibly bright, golden adornemnts? Thanks.'

And seeing as how SG1 DID save them from the Goa'uld (it was never established that the Nox could have easily batted away the attack....I assume that they could have but since they didn't....) you would have thought that they would have snuck a 'thank you' in there at some point but I must have missed it during the 'shoving SG1 back towards the Door' part.

muziqaz
August 17th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Decent episode....although there was that infuriating 'You're too young a species for us to POSSIBLY ever deign ourselves to communicate with you yadda yadda yadda...'

I think you are mixing episodes with Enigma and Nox with Tollan :D I don't really understand the fury about Nox way of communicating with Sg1. They were extremely polite. yes they told us we are young, but hell, they done it with utmost politeness.
How would you feel if someone comes into your house blasting guns and arrows completely ignoring you and trying to 'help' you.
besides they never said that they we would not be worthy of communicating with them later on. Later episodes show that Nox had hopes for us, sure Maybourne f**ed everything up, but there was no: No way, talk to a hand.

And seeing as how SG1 DID save them from the Goa'uld (it was never established that the Nox could have easily batted away the attack....I assume that they could have but since they didn't....) you would have thought that they would have snuck a 'thank you' in there at some point but I must have missed it during the 'shoving SG1 back towards the Door' part.

If I remember correctly it was Nox who saved entire SG1 from death and what did they get in return? Little battlefield in their back yard.
Also, instead of 'shoving out the door' SG1 like they done to Apophis Nox showed the team that there is nothing to worry about and that humans have to learn a lot. I think that was a sign that all is not lost with humans and one day maybe they will meet again and be worthy of alliance. I suppose this is more than a 'thank you' from them as they did not dismiss us as hopeless race.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 17th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Let's Rehash. The Nox is an average SG-1 episode, which is common for early SG-1 episodes because they were still trying to figure out how to do this show.

The episode was written by Hart Hanson, the man who gave us Bones.

Tomorrow's episode is an episode the producers apparently want to ignore happened. It's called "Hathor," and I haven't seen it in a while.

Skydiver
August 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM
i love the cheese of hathor...and if anyone wants to ignore it it's probably because the boys do not come out of it looking good :)

Traveler Enroute1
August 17th, 2011, 09:12 PM
SG Rewatch episodes: 101 - 105, 106, 107, 109, 110, 111, 112

The Nox

I liked this episode. It was fanciful and unusual for the team to encounter woodland fairies who weren't nearly as helpless as they appeared. But the plotting bothered me.

The plot seemed strained, starting out with the White House dignitary marvelling over the Stargate. Then the next minute he's gone for the SG-1's jugular with a critical put down of the operation. Teal'c speaks into the argument with intel on an invisible creature, and whoosh, off they go to the magical kingdom of The Nox.

This episode began for me once the team stepped from the gate and turned around to see the Stargate had disappeared. The other SGC stuff was probably necessary narrative for the series, reminding the viewers that all their adventures so far haven't moved them toward completing their mission. It just seems misplaced here. Because after yet another fine mess they get out of, they make more friends who will promptly bury their 'Gate once the team leaves. Empty handed. Wonder how that debriefing went. We don't know because the episode doesn't revisit that high conflict, earlier scene.

Peter Williams as Apophis is just such an excellent villain. He's almost dainty next to his Jaffa yet clearly he's in command. Gotta love his sunny armor, too. I'm glad he hung around through the series; as SG-1's nemesis there was always excitement when he was around.

Also, I recall in the earliest viewings that fans were agog that Sam and Daniel left cover when Jack was hit by Apophis' staff blast. After looking at this scene again, I could posit that the writers sacrificed common sense so that the team could die and The Nox could show their magical powers.

Favorite lines:

After the team is restored:
Daniel: I think they're a family.
Jack: Of what?
Daniel: I have no idea.

When Nafrayu gushes over Sam:
Jack: No, you can't keep him. I always smile at RDA's dry delivery and Sam's expression. OMG! This is one of Sam's admirers who died! Gasp!

Embarking on the search for Nafrayu:
Jack: I told him to go home.
Nox: I told you the same. The very young do not always do what they are told. This line becomes a sub-theme throughout much of the series and I just love knowing how it got started.

Other stuff:

Nice touch that the Nox man was intrigued by the team's concern for them. Apparently he decides that SG-1 can be trusted and reveals his floating, modern city. The team scores points with them after all.

Showed how far SG-1 will go to protect others, especially if they may have accidentally put them in harm's way. Great solidarity as they (misguidedly, IMO) went after Apophis then regrouped to protect The Nox.

So, what was this Nox family doing in the woods, so far from their floating city? I reasoned that they were on a getting-back-to-nature trip. Maybe a ritual to introduce young Nafrayu to the origins of his culture or something.

Teal'c apparently is a good teacher since they never caught Shak'yl. But I hope he didn't teach the youngling to stab an opponent when his back was turned. Later we learn that kind of thing is against the Jaffa code or whatever they have.

SG-1's early missions were devoid of helpful technology - so frustrating!

I looked forward to seeing how these gentle folk fared in the future. I hoped they'd relent and unbury the gate!

Rated: 2.5/5

Lieutenant Sparrow
August 18th, 2011, 01:42 AM
One thing that interests me about the Nox. If they were forced to fight the Ori (No ships or turning invisible allowed) who would win? The Nox seem to have some pretty strong powers.

Brother Freyr
August 18th, 2011, 09:10 AM
One thing that interests me about the Nox. If they were forced to fight the Ori (No ships or turning invisible allowed) who would win? The Nox seem to have some pretty strong powers.
oooh, fun match-up! At least,if it was Nox vs. Ori armies. Against the ascended beings themselves would be unfair; the poor Nox would be smooshed like bugs. But maybe that would incite a God-off between the ascended Ori and our ascended Ancients. Someone save me a seat on the couch. I'll make the popcorn.

mcbrndjms
August 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM
did anyone else notice that Jack tries to shoot Apophis with a dart in the beginning but it didn't work. then Sam has this idea that it might and we don't find out until a later season that it actually works

Lunaeclipse
August 23rd, 2011, 11:22 PM
i love the cheese of hathor...and if anyone wants to ignore it it's probably because the boys do not come out of it looking good :)
The cheese was funny and I like watching the girls take Hathor on... Every episode has it's little golden moments.

...I'll get back on topic... The Nox, to me, represent a pure kind of kindness and unconditional care for any strangers that crossed thier path...

Philogical
September 7th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I am currently trying to catch up with the re-watching and saw this one today. I always liked this episode, but I wish they would have revisited the Nox again. I know they were in that one episode with the Tollans, but once they got the Daedalus you think they would of stopped by to at least say hi.

moondragon
October 14th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I definitely liked watching this episode. It was our first actual face to face meeting with one of the four races. The Nox made an excellent point that is followed throughout the rest of the series "the young don't always do as they are told". Its pretty much the MO of us Earthlings throughout the series. Some of the more memorable moments were:

*Daniel: "they hover? Like a hummingbird?" Teal'c: "with teeth"
*O'Neill: "Wasn't I just...?" Carter: "Killed" O'Neill: "Killed as in..." Carter: "Dead"
O'Neill: "Dead" Carter: "Yeah, we know. We saw it happen. Same thing happened to us"
O'Neill: "Well, this is a surprise, then"

Dumdidu
November 5th, 2011, 08:45 AM
This is one of my favorite episodes of season 1. On the one side the nox are to nature and on the other side they are part of the 4? or 5? races. So they are high developt.
It would be nice, if the nox are part of a other episode. Sadly that the dont come to another :(.

And i like, that the nox are so peacefully :).

ChulaksPrincess
November 8th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I agree with you 100 percent.

I think the Nox wanted to keep Teal'c.

Jack: "No, you can't keep him."

Lol!

Lunaeclipse
November 8th, 2011, 03:04 PM
This is one of my favorite episodes of season 1. On the one side the nox are to nature and on the other side they are part of the 4? or 5? races. So they are high developt.
It would be nice, if the nox are part of a other episode. Sadly that the dont come to another :(.

And i like, that the nox are so peacefully :).

Except for Lya who made an appearance in Pretence. I agree it would've been nice to learn more about them. I, myself, found them interesting...

Seaboe Muffinchucker
November 8th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Except for Lya who made an appearance in Pretence. I agree it would've been nice to learn more about them. I, myself, found them interesting...

Lya is also in Enigma.

Seaboe

garhkal
November 11th, 2011, 02:09 PM
It's a pity we never saw the old man again..

Mackandal
November 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I loved this episode. I loved that it showed that the SGC/American/Human way is not the only way. It was a welcome change from attitudes seen in other shows such as The Clone Wars, when they meet a pacifist people and the moral of the story is that pacifism is a foolish philosophy propogated by jaded old leaders and we all need Anakin Skywalker to swoop in to the rescue with kick-ass fight scenes. :rolleyes:
I take offense to claims that the Nox are all-trusting.They clearly knew the Goa`uld were a threat, but they wren`t worth abandoning their principles. I also believe that they weren`t being superior because of humanity`s age. I hate it when people think that older=smarter. They buried the Stargate because we had proven ourselves to be so arrogant that we assume everyone needs our help using our methods even when they explicitly refuse it.

The Nox are kind of creepy looking though lol.

Dimes
December 21st, 2011, 12:07 PM
They should have definatly made two episodes of the Nox like The Nox (1) and The Nox (2), they could have learned a lot from "The Nox" .

Lunaeclipse
December 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM
They should have definatly made two episodes of the Nox like The Nox (1) and The Nox (2), they could have learned a lot from "The Nox" .

"The Nox", Opportunity Nox?

Dimes
December 22nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
What? It's only one episode about the Nox in the first season of SG-1.

Lunaeclipse
December 22nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
What? It's only one episode about the Nox in the first season of SG-1.

It was a joke. :) I was suggesting a title for a second ep if they ever made one...

Blizzah
December 22nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
The Nox were cool, I am not sure why they were not more important in the series.

Dimes
December 22nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Oh stupid me, i'm like Teal'c when you think about it then! ;)

Mackandal
January 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
Maybe in your opinion, maybe they just find our meager intellect to be beneath them. Like bugs, its no great saving grace to spare them, but squashing them on purpose doesn't really have a point. The Nox hide away while billions of people suffer under the Goa'uld, not very nice.

Reminds me of a quote:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

I would say that by those moral the humans are a better race than the Nox.
I know, necroing, but this post infuriated me so much I had to comment despite its age.

What a ridiculous and insulting thing to say. Would you say Gandhi didn`t care about the suffering of his people because he didn`t kill over it? If the Nox only wanted to keep themselves safe they would have used violence a long time ago. Instead they choose to do what is right despite the risk it poses to them. Anyone can be brave with a gun; true bravery is fighting without a weapon.

spartacus
April 27th, 2012, 01:03 AM
i agree with you, i like the nox but not too much background was given about them, other than the fact that they were one of the four alliances, that is neat. but their abilities to become invisible and heal is awesome. :-)

Pym
June 30th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I love the nox .They are a very powerful people. Others dont think they are at first as they dont need to show their power only when needed.

Lunaeclipse
July 1st, 2012, 04:31 PM
...and for the rest of the series, except one ep (Pretense), they showed how good they were at staying hidden...

Darian
July 2nd, 2012, 11:51 PM
I do not like the nox the reason I dont like them is that they would be destroyed if they were ever attacked they would not even defend themselves which I think is stupid

Sam-n-Jack-in-<3
July 26th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Good episode, but agreed that pacifism can be taken too far when one won't even defend themselves.

Love the little moment with Sam and Nfreyu, though. "No, Carter. You can't keep him." :D

Zaany
August 9th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I love this episode in every regard.

Major_Clanger
September 16th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Just rewatched this and I think the Nox while they weren't shown raising a hand in anger obviously have more capabilities than merely hiding. Their city looked very technologically advanced.

And when they were telling SG-1 to go away, they were very firm. We don't know how they would have reacted if SG-1 had said no, but that is the power of the Nox. They didn't have to show it.

ngewakl
December 13th, 2012, 10:16 PM
What a wonderful episode. The Nox are the best. I really like this episode. I saw an episode of star trek kind of like this but this is a way better interpretation. Powerful race, absolute pacifists. Lot's of memorable lines in this one. I will leave you with this:

ANTEAUS: "Our ways have served us for as long as our people have lived."
O'NEILL: "But they didn't know you existed before. Once they know they will enslave you."
ANTEAUS: "We are slaves to no one."

Anoobis
January 4th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Fort Nox gets an absolutely new meaning in this episode. A great one! Too bad Apophis got remote-cloaked just in the best moment. But then he'd have died too easily. And seeing Quark in this hot hairstyle ... a must-see! :)

Vagabond Serpent
January 16th, 2013, 02:28 AM
We all have been discussing what happens if Apophis/Anubis/Ori/Big green monsters pick on the Nox, but I've just got another idea. Goa'uld could be crazy now and then, but who said they're dumb? Thanks to SG-1, Apophis learns of the Nox and I doubt he's unable to add two and two and figure out that they could do more tricks than just hide and seek games. Suppose his memories stay intact because the Nox are pretty sure that even if they're jumped by the snakeheads, they can just avoid them easily, so they do not care or it ain't in their way or something. But then let's also consider the fact that more than violent, the Goa'ulds are power hungry. Anubis even managed to ascend to harvest some more knowledge and power. I sincerly doubt that Apophis has no idea about what happened back then. So, if I were Apophis, my first notion would of course be to knock the twighaired people dead, but after a bit of thinking I'd rather try to capture one alive and squirm into his brain, looking for some of those neat tricks I saw. Now imagine what would happen if the experience gained from the millions of years of evolution and advancement of one of the Great Races gets into the Goa'uld hands after one or two of the Nox get possessed?

Seaboe Muffinchucker
January 16th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Suppose his [Apophis'] memories stay intact because the Nox are pretty sure that even if they're jumped by the snakeheads, they can just avoid them easily...

Why wouldn't they stay intact?

Seaboe

Vagabond Serpent
January 16th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I read here there that many people assume that the Nox erased his memories whatsoever.

garhkal
January 19th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I would love to know what that device anubis used (on thor and daniel) would do if HE managed to grab a nox.

Vagabond Serpent
January 20th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Something terrible I'd guess...

garhkal
January 27th, 2013, 02:18 PM
But i was wondering would it give him knowledge on how the Nox do their healing/raising people from the dead? Would it allow Anubis to have done the same?

Vagabond Serpent
January 28th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I believe it could... Cause he still was a Goa'uld and they can scan host's brain for all the knowledge needed.

hedwig
January 28th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I would love to know what that device anubis used (on thor and daniel) would do if HE managed to grab a nox.

He used it on Jonas Quinn, too.

Alpaca
March 18th, 2013, 11:11 PM
This is so frustrating! The pacifist nature of the Nox drives me nuts. Even after being told about the Goauld's aggressiveness they didn't appear concerned. I'm very glad it ended well though.

Falcon Horus
May 17th, 2013, 06:26 AM
The Nox are by far the fluffiest, most cutest race ever invented in the world of Stargate. Who wouldn't have taken Nefreyu home... :p

It's rather amusing how the secretary wants others to share technology that he would not share himself. They obviously do not live by the same rules, so it's refreshing to see that the Nox teach them that the young do not always do as they are told, and that patience is a true virtue. You need to learn first, before you can obtain.

And you just know the moment they decide to switch from chasing the fenri to chasing Apophis, the team's in for some trouble.

I really like the colors of this episode, rich green of Vancouver forests. The humidity gives it an extra feel of pure nature. I also really like the setdressing of the Nox huts.

Lunaeclipse
May 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM
This is so frustrating! The pacifist nature of the Nox drives me nuts. Even after being told about the Goauld's aggressiveness they didn't appear concerned. I'm very glad it ended well though.

If I could do what they do I don't think I wouldn't be so concerned either... They can hide well, bring things back to life etc... I think the only danger to them IS the fact they're so self-assured...

CodyCampbell
May 28th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Not sure if anyone knows this, but why was this moved to episode 12 on the DVD set?

jelgate
May 28th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Difference between production and airing order

Eugenium
February 26th, 2014, 02:12 PM
What I can say about this race... I love these people, yes, they're definitely good. I think, the best race, that it was ever made in Stargate. Cool forest-loving peaceful (like I) people. 5 stars!

jckfan55
February 27th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I loved Jack: "Well *get* afraid!"

AsgardGirl
September 15th, 2014, 06:07 AM
I like the episodes where the things are not as they seems to be, as this one. I like Nox in this episode, they were cool. They went less cool in my eyes in later episodes. I liked their “I just went through a bush” hairstyle. They were also the first ones in the show who needed to learn speak English.

maneth
August 8th, 2015, 10:53 AM
The pacifism drove me a bit nuts too, but of course, the Nox have hidden powers... I just completed a rewatch of DS9, so it was fun to see Armin Shimerman in a completely different role, having watched him as Quark for seven seasons.

garhkal
August 8th, 2015, 04:26 PM
He was funny as Quark..

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
August 9th, 2015, 05:11 AM
Yes, I think this episode was quite an education fo SG1.

Especially about what not to do when under heavy fire from enemy soldiers.. They're supposed to be highly trained officers/Special Forces/First Prime/the best of the best elite team (delete where applicable :p) And they behave like children in a paintball match?

Why did Carter put her gun down and try to slowly crawl over to O'Neill when he got shot? What could she do to help him? The Jaffa were still there and trying to kill her. Why did she make it so easy for them? It was embarrassing to watch :S

They're lucky the Nox saved them.

Personally I wouldn't have :p

Britta
August 9th, 2015, 05:19 AM
They're under standing orders to obey the script, which said they were supposed to get killed. :p

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
August 9th, 2015, 05:27 AM
But it was the most ridiculous way to do it.. Why not add a few more Jaffa? Really outnumber and outgun SG-1.. Make it really dramatic, bits of rock flying everywhere in the staff blast explosions.. a sudden thunderstorm that appeared out of nowhere..

Not..

Carter: "No! O'Neill has been shot! Watch as I slowly crawl over to him!"

Daniel: "No!! Carter has been shot while slowly crawling to O'Neill, watch as I slowly crawl over to her!"

Teal'c: *raises eyebrow*

Britta
August 9th, 2015, 05:28 AM
I just file it away under "First Season Weirdness". It's easier that way.

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
August 9th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Maybe..

But it's annoying. Makes the "highly trained and decorated officers" thing difficult to believe.

Britta
August 9th, 2015, 05:34 AM
Maybe there were budget constraints that limited what they could do with that scene, what with the other effects in the episode. Or maybe it was just writers who didn't really have a grasp on the characters yet.

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
August 9th, 2015, 05:36 AM
So it's the writers' fault? But even they must know that putting your gun down to take a stroll through the forest while under fire is a bad idea?

I blame the military adviser for taking the day off :p

Britta
August 9th, 2015, 05:46 AM
Maybe the writers pointed over the military adviser's shoulder, said "look, shiny!", and changed the script while they weren't looking. :p

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
August 9th, 2015, 05:52 AM
Sounds reasonable. Military advisers do like shiny things.. Look at all the medals they wear :p

Krisz
August 9th, 2015, 03:52 PM
I'm wondering if a staff blast travels faster than a bullet....if so, we can let SG-1 off for getting killed, they were used to evading gun fire not alien weaponry. It was early days for them, well that's my crazy senseless theory! :D :P

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
August 10th, 2015, 06:43 AM
I'm wondering if a staff blast travels faster than a bullet....if so, we can let SG-1 off for getting killed, they were used to evading gun fire not alien weaponry. It was early days for them, well that's my crazy senseless theory! :D :P

But they had rocks to hide behind!

They all put their guns down and tried to slowly crawl towards each other :S And they had nowhere to slowly crawl away to, the only way to escape was to travel towards the Jaffa, so what were they thinking? :S

Unless.. they decided they couldn't win and just let themselves be killed? :S

The Nox should have respected their decision and left them alone :p

StargateMillennium
August 10th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Why couldn't they just have the group get shot? Why did they have Carter leave her cover before getting hit?

If the writers let the jaffa shoot them out their skill and not SG-1's stupidity, maybe they would've seemed less like stormtroopers in chain-mail.

Falcon Horus
August 13th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Drama, my friends. It's all about the drama... and then they are alive again. Drama gone.

:p

hedwig
August 13th, 2015, 03:58 PM
But they had rocks to hide behind!

They all put their guns down and tried to slowly crawl towards each other :S And they had nowhere to slowly crawl away to, the only way to escape was to travel towards the Jaffa, so what were they thinking? :S

Unless.. they decided they couldn't win and just let themselves be killed? :S

The Nox should have respected their decision and left them alone :p

But then Apophis could have taken them away, put them in a sarcophagus and made them into new hosts.

garhkal
August 13th, 2015, 11:56 PM
Not really, since by the time Apophis was alone, all the 'dead' had been illiusioned over.

Anja
September 6th, 2015, 06:22 AM
This episode shows that there are other ways than your ways, I think it's not important if SG1 gets shot out of stupidity or out of Apophis' superiority.

:jack_new_anime25:

Tyrathraxus
June 14th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Its a shame they rarely used the Nox again. Any alien the show introduced and did relatively nothing with. Would have loved to have seen the Nox talking to an Asgard (because you would think the Nox with their connection to Life could help the Asgard with their cloning issues).

SG-1 introduced far too many one off races and villains.

Anja
June 14th, 2016, 02:16 AM
If all the alien races had helped with what they had got, SG1 would have been out of duty after the first season! That wouldn't have been appreciated!!!

lgm89
June 14th, 2016, 03:42 AM
Its a shame they rarely used the Nox again. Any alien the show introduced and did relatively nothing with. Would have loved to have seen the Nox talking to an Asgard (because you would think the Nox with their connection to Life could help the Asgard with their cloning issues).

SG-1 introduced far too many one off races and villains.

The problem with the Nox, IMO, is that they pretty much served the same purpose as the Asgard; "The wise old race" who pop up and offer the team advice and guidance and then tell them how young they are. Plus they also had the isolationist angle which probably made it hard to keep coming with reasons to get them involved.

Also, the Nox design is rather cheap and silly looking and as the series got more polished looking over the years I can understand why the writers quietly dropped them in favour of the better looking Asgard.

Cluas
June 14th, 2016, 04:07 AM
I would have liked some more backstory at least :)

I like the way they look ... And they have some awesome powers ...

Tyrathraxus
June 14th, 2016, 05:43 PM
I would of liked to have seen them dealing with the Ori, or what to make of this whole forced conversion business. After all the Nox were all about Personal Freedoms to make any choice and the Ori were not.

Anja: Hey Im not saying the Nox or others should hand over tech. Its not their way. Its just I found Stargate always adverse to embracing any one true concept for fear it would tie their hands from making such varied stories when in face it would not. The Nox were a race we saw again at least once. You can be friends with a group of people and not trade tech. Perhaps just information. Cultural Exchange.. that sorta thing.

As to the Nox Look. They lived frugually and within the confines of nature.. I think they looked perfect for where they were. I think far too much attention was paid to the 'look' of the show later on... it got too Glossy (and probably about the time it moved from Showtime to Syfy)

Falcon Horus
October 28th, 2017, 09:18 AM
The Nox are one of my all time favorite alien races. They are so awesome and adorable, and wise and funny.

The costume department did such an amazing job with how they look. And the art department with the visualization of how they live and are. They are so faerie like, and it's made of so much love. :D

So, the mission for the SGC is to bring back technology that can be used against the Goa'uld or anyone who could potentially be an enemy of Earth. Since they clearly haven't brought anything back worth mentioning, Teal'c tells of a cloaking technology Apophis has been trying to get his hands on.

As luck will have it, when they go to the planet Teal'c knows of where the technology is flying around (which we later learn isn't really the case), they bump into the golden boy himself and decide to, at least, catch him. Seems like a good plan, but when does SG1 ever have that much luck. The Nox intervene, which in hindsight wasn't that bad of an idea otherwise SG1 would have come to a rather premature end as they all die (except for Teal'c).

They get to know this peaceful race, learn from them and discover they are in fact the ones who are able to cloak themselves, or vanish, or whisk themselves away into invisibility -- demonstration of that was the gate disappearing on them, and then reappearing later towards the end. That floating city in the sky, by the way, exquisite.

The young do not always do as they are told, and SG1 has a lot to learn still. Their journey's only beginning. They have to go home emptyhanded but they do learn that Apophis' shield can be penetrated, that the Nox can take care of themselves and that they will bury the gate (even though the Goa'uld might possibly return by ship -- and Apophis knowing he will do just that first chance he gets).

The episode is definitely one of my favorite episodes of the season, and one that I love rewatching from time to time. It's visually stunning.

How would you rate SG-1's "The Nox?"

Excellent
Good
Fair
Poor
Terrible

Falcon Horus
October 28th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Bringing forth the quiz for this round of episodes (https://goo.gl/forms/cgPWvBrNqNhlh3Bh1), and the puzzle for this episode: The Nox (https://www.jigidi.com/solve.php?id=VH0IVPXI)!

Have fun!

mooseman
October 28th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Another Good vote from me. I enjoyed it.

jelgate
October 29th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Their is a flaw in the Nox thinking. Pacifism only works because of their technology. If their cloaking technology wasn't superior to the Goa'uld, Apophis would have slaughtered the Nox. That said this is a good episode to show a society that functions differently than the rest of us. I also always liked Aphosis the most as Goa'uld villian. He has a personal stake against everyone except Sam. So it's enjoyable to see SG1 fight them. Although Carter has to be the worst soldier ever to leave her cover after Jack was shot.

I got 10 minutes and 14 seconds on the puzzle and a perfect score on the quiz

Falcon Horus
October 29th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Although Carter has to be the worst soldier ever to leave her cover after Jack was shot.

Oh my goddess, yes... bothers me to no end.

Well done! :D

jelgate
October 29th, 2017, 10:42 AM
All the gold chain mail for Apophis made it difficult

Falcon Horus
October 29th, 2017, 10:46 AM
All the gold chain mail for Apophis made it difficult

I briefly thought it would, but the Nox in their natural green habitat wouldn't have helped either. :p

Who Knows
October 30th, 2017, 05:07 AM
12:35

Falcon Horus
October 30th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Those are some good timings... Gonna do the puzzles myself and see where I stack up -- I predict in the lower half even though I love jigsaws (there are a couple adorning my walls).

jelgate
October 30th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Maybe someday you can challenge the master aka me

Falcon Horus
October 30th, 2017, 03:00 PM
I better start practicing. :p

aretood2
October 30th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Their is a flaw in the Nox thinking. Pacifism only works because of their technology. If their cloaking technology wasn't superior to the Goa'uld, Apophis would have slaughtered the Nox. That said this is a good episode to show a society that functions differently than the rest of us. I also always liked Aphosis the most as Goa'uld villian. He has a personal stake against everyone except Sam. So it's enjoyable to see SG1 fight them. Although Carter has to be the worst soldier ever to leave her cover after Jack was shot.

10 minutes and 44 seconds.

Oh my goddess, yes... bothers me to no end.

Well done! :D

In her defense, she's a pilot, not a soldier...we'll go with that.

jelgate
October 30th, 2017, 05:33 PM
10 minutes and 44 seconds.

Your excuse is most illogical. She should be trained in ground combat being part of the Air Force especially if she is in Special Forces

aretood2
October 30th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Your excuse is most illogical. She should be trained in ground combat being part of the Air Force especially if she is in Special Forces

It was never really clear that she was special forces. Just a pilot with combat experience in desert storm and a really big brain.

jelgate
October 30th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I expect all military personal to have ground training especially when you are part of a command that is supposed to be the best of the best. If she has advanced knife training she should know how to stay in cover

aretood2
October 30th, 2017, 06:34 PM
I expect all military personal to have ground training especially when you are part of a command that is supposed to be the best of the best. If she has advanced knife training she should know how to stay in cover

I wonder if the military advisors said anything about it.

Falcon Horus
October 31st, 2017, 02:00 AM

Mmm.... don't they go through basic training. I mean, in the episode Hathor Doctor Fraiser does mention she knows how to handle the automatic rifle when she was in basic training, and she too is Air Force.

I wonder if the military advisors said anything about it.

They probably did and then ignored it cause drama... :p

Seaboe Muffinchucker
October 31st, 2017, 07:32 AM
When did the military advisor become an on-set thing? I thought it was in Season 2?

Seaboe

jelgate
October 31st, 2017, 08:29 AM
Mmm.... don't they go through basic training. I mean, in the episode Hathor Doctor Fraiser does mention she knows how to handle the automatic rifle when she was in basic training, and she too is Air Force.

They probably did and then ignored it cause drama... :p

In aretood's analogy , pilots don't have ground combat training which doesn't make sense

Falcon Horus
November 10th, 2017, 03:18 AM
When did the military advisor become an on-set thing? I thought it was in Season 2?

I have no idea really...

Falcon Horus
November 12th, 2017, 10:49 AM

Looks like I beat the Jigsaw Master's time by 44 seconds: 9:30

jelgate
November 12th, 2017, 12:50 PM
It helps when you already know what the image is:P

Falcon Horus
November 12th, 2017, 03:07 PM
It helps when you already know what the image is:P

You might think so... but I have to say, you were right about the gold... too much of it.

I'm afraid I may have made the Hathor jigsaw equally as hard, if not harder. I fear to solve it. :p

BethHG
June 9th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Good episode overall. The Nox are cool. :)

10:15 for the puzzle and 14/15 for the quiz. I forgot what the bird- like creatures were called-- the fenri?

Falcon Horus
June 10th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Good episode overall. The Nox are cool. :)

The Nox are quite possibly my most favorite alien race ever created in any scifi show.

I forgot what the bird- like creatures were called-- the fenri?

Yes, I believe so. It's been too long.

Platschu
August 21st, 2018, 11:22 AM
Errors :

1. When they are sending through the MALP, the blue lights are static behind the stargate again.

2. Shak'l stabs Teal'c, but there is no blood on the dagger:
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x07/02.jpg
My comment : Maybe because SG was meant to be a family friendly show.

3. Apophis asks for a staff weapon, because he wants to shoot O'Neill, but the background is changing behind Apophis like he is turning around:
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x07/03.jpg
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x07/04.jpg
My comment : Maybe O'Neill moved in the middle, but according to the scene both of them were standing at the same position.

Falcon Horus
August 22nd, 2018, 07:08 AM
2. Shak'l stabs Teal'c, but there is no blood on the dagger:
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x07/02.jpg
My comment : Maybe because SG was meant to be a family friendly show.

That's exactly why.

There's a distinct lack of blood on more occasions.

Platschu
August 22nd, 2018, 01:37 PM
Family friendly.... Apophis has killed SG-1 members, then even a child. :sholva:

Falcon Horus
August 23rd, 2018, 02:48 AM
Family friendly.... Apophis has killed SG-1 members, then even a child. :sholva:

That whole "family friendly" thing is a relative term -- not everyone's definition synchs up. :p

Seaboe Muffinchucker
August 27th, 2018, 10:30 AM
They assume children will be traumatized by blood and explicit nudity, but that references to sex will go right over their heads.

Seaboe

aretood2
August 27th, 2018, 01:11 PM
They assume children will be traumatized by blood and explicit nudity, but that references to sex will go right over their heads.

Seaboe

Those references do go over their heads. For example, I never realized just how many such jokes are found on episodes of the Simpsons back in the day.

Falcon Horus
August 28th, 2018, 05:26 AM
Those references do go over their heads. For example, I never realized just how many such jokes are found on episodes of the Simpsons back in the day.

Or realizing how certain songs you sang along to in your youth have some explicit texts... :p

Platschu
November 27th, 2018, 12:30 PM
Story board game #1 - "The Nox"

Arrange the events in chronological order, then write the picture order in comments (like : 3-4-1-5-7-8-2-6).

This is only a test, so please share your opinion if you would like to see this game in the future. I know it is not easy as I have chosen this well-known fan favorite episode. If it is too hard then we can try it with 4 or 6 pictures the next one. Have fun!

https://www.stargatecommand.co/forums/story-board-game-1-the-nox-arrange-the-events-in-chronological-order-then-write-the-picture-order-in-comments-like-3-4-1-5-7-8-2-6-this-is-only-a-test-so-please-share-your-opinion-if-you-would-like-to-see-this-game-in-the-furure?req_type=html&k=b4ff8e7b