stargate destroyer question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stargate destroyer question.

Why(and i emphasize WHY) would the Ancients create a weapon that can destroy stargates.

It just doesn't seem like something they would do.
    i can understand why the goa'uld would use something like it.
    but what use would the ancients have for it.

it wasnt intended as a weapon. Anubis just modified it to work like that

Comment

Originally posted by timstro59 View Post
      Why(and i emphasize WHY) would the Ancients create a weapon that can destroy stargates.

1. It wasn't designed for that, just some gigantic power transfer system.
      2. They had enemies we haven't seen, and built it to deal with a 'foothold' situation on one of their worlds.
      3. Or, more likely, TPTB needed a superweapon and just put the sticky label 'ancient' on it without thinking it through first.
      Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
        3. Or, more likely, TPTB needed a superweapon and just put the sticky label 'ancient' on it without thinking it through first.
        that one seems the most likely.
        they made a good sized plothole when they labeled it "Ancient technology".

Comment

1. It wasn't designed for that, just some gigantic power transfer system. (
          I would agree with that

Maybe when Anubis ascended he

1. Learned the location of the device.
          2. Learned how to modify the device (by placing a stargate inside the ring) to turn it into a weapon that could blow up stargates.
          "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
          "That he is concealing something."
          "Like what?"
          "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
          "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
          "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
          "I liked that movie!"

Comment

I have thought about it for a while, and maybe they were using it as a means to try and boost a gates power therefore how far it can go. BUT they got hit with the disease before they could complete it.

Comment

1. It wasn't designed for that, just some gigantic power transfer system.
              2. They had enemies we haven't seen, and built it to deal with a 'foothold' situation on one of their worlds.
              That would fit with the overall stupid apraoch TPTB has had throughout both SG1 and SGA im quite curious if this will countinue in SGU.. in all liklyhood it will as TPTB are the same....

Comment

Originally posted by timstro59 View Post

that was just a - i admit it - nasty side effect (that's why they shut the damned thing down - well i would not have: i would have let it one, finished of the hives and rest wraith and then would have repopulated the galaxy. if someone now tells me that i am cold and indifferent because of so many dead people: if my race faces extinction, i will not start to care about others, after saving my race, we can talk about saving others.)

greetings LAX

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                  that was just a - i admit it - nasty side effect (that's why they shut the damned thing down - well i would not have: i would have let it one, finished of the hives and rest wraith and then would have repopulated the galaxy. if someone now tells me that i am cold and indifferent because of so many dead people: if my race faces extinction, i will not start to care about others, after saving my race, we can talk about saving others.)
                  You're thinking of the Attero device from "The Lost Tribe"

The OP is talking about the device Anubis used to destroy the original Earth Stargate in "Redemption Parts 1 & 2"
                  Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

or maybe anubis found out more about gates (or found out about the radiation) and built a device using that knowledge to blow up stargates.

or he modified the original device, which might have been some ancient experiment into observing the radiation

Comment

if you are going to argue that the machine simply supplies energy through the gate, then that could make sense if we use the episode where the Ori was supplying energy though the gate to shield that planet to make that supergate. Similar tech maybe?

Comment

Maybe antiOri weapon made for the case when Ori find Alteran. Then made when there was no other effective means of defense.
                        Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                        SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Working...
                        X