X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simultaneous SGU Canada and US premieres

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/0...-sgu-premiere/

From the front page.

GOOD! Maybe this will cut down on the pirating. When it was out months earlier in another market nerds ripped em to the internet and cost TPTB money. I look forward to seeing the effect of this.

Really Canada and the US and A are SGs main market. Europe and the rest of the world are more secondary. Also, congrats to whoever set this up, it musta been living hells getting network execs to agree on any thing XD

That is not entirely true. While without a doubt the US market is Stargate's primary market I think even BW has admitted Stargate has done better in the UK vs Canada. But in comparing the rest of Europe to Canada you are correct
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

they would cut down pirating significantly if they had worldwide simultaneous premieres...still it doenst bother me *hint hint*

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post

From the front page.

GOOD! Maybe this will cut down on the pirating. When it was out months earlier in another market nerds ripped em to the internet and cost TPTB money. I look forward to seeing the effect of this.

Really Canada and the US and A are SGs main market. Europe and the rest of the world are more secondary. Also, congrats to whoever set this up, it musta been living hells getting network execs to agree on any thing XD
        The show is still going to leak, and people are still going to download them off the internet. Some people don't have access to the show through their TV so it's the only way they can watch it.
        sigpic

Comment

In Canada in some places on cable channels between 37 and 59 are blacked out(all you see is snowy pictures) and spacecast is on channel 55 and it is blacked out
          Continuing Stargate
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=50813

Stargate Universal Sin

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=67861

Stargate Dark Frontier
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=71213

Uttara Kuru- Afterimage (proper theme for stargate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gPYc1boma8

Comment

From the front page.

The US is the main market, Canada is secondary. I seriously doubt the market in Canada for Stargate is bigger than in the UK, let alone anywhere near that of the US.

Comment

<snip>

<snip>
              I think another important thing to consider is that they'll be streaming SGU after it airs, which means that they can finally get some numbers on the amount of people watching over the internet, and hopefully people around the world will be able to watch legally. Hopefully Syfy will follow and stream on their website as well. However, this will probably only work if it is put up within a day of the airing, otherwise people will just torrent it the same as always.

Comment

Originally posted by auror View Post
                I think another important thing to consider is that they'll be streaming SGU after it airs, which means that they can finally get some numbers on the amount of people watching over the internet, and hopefully people around the world will be able to watch legally. Hopefully Syfy will follow and stream on their website as well. However, this will probably only work if it is put up within a day of the airing, otherwise people will just torrent it the same as always.
                Im curious what properties have done this and what the effect has been. I know Southpark streams their episodes after they air on the network, same with abuncha fox shows. SOME leaking is good in that it builds buzz and actually increases sales. Im curious where the profitability balance is.

Comment

this can only be aploaded even if i can't benifit from it directly beeing from belgium myself

the only way to stop piracy are simultaneous broad casts in all countries be it trough tv or ad driven hq streams over the internet

because of the internet you can't afford to let people wait because whatever they do we will always find means to get our stargate fix

Comment

Im curious what properties have done this and what the effect has been. I know Southpark streams their episodes after they air on the network, same with abuncha fox shows. SOME leaking is good in that it builds buzz and actually increases sales. Im curious where the profitability balance is.
                    The 4 major networks stream most if not all their shows on their websites. Also FOX, NBC, and ABC do the same with Hulu. In addition many cable networks stream their shows online including SyFy. Its becoming more and more popular for TV networks to put their show online after TV airing. In fact one of my favorite shows airs when I am in a class. So I use Hulu the next day to watch said show
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

From the front page.

It will put a dent in the piracy, but will not eliminate it. There are a vast legion of folk who don't even bother with TV - they get their TV off the net, one way or the other. Meanwhile, everybody NOT in the US/Canada (or those without cable access to SyFy/Space) might download, and well, rest of world? Yeah, download like mad. Face it, once it finishes airing in the US on SyFy (or Space), it will be aired in China probably five minutes later!

Comment

Actually, the front page article is not quite true.

While Syfy will air SGU at 9/8c ET/PT, SPACE will air SGU at 9pm ET/6pm PT. In other words, us West Coast Canadians will get SGU at the same time as those on the East Cost of both countries, while West Coast Americans wil have to wait 3 hours until they are at 9pm in order to watch the premier.

So basically, all of Canada and the East Coast of the US get to watch SGU at the same time, while the other time zones of the US get the premier at later times due to the timezone difference.

I love SPACE.

Comment

I seriously hate the emphasis that networks are putting on using Hulu. As a Canadian, there is no legal way for me to use the system. I'm glad that I'll be able to watch Universe at the same time as the Americans. But until Hulu is being broadcast into Canada, it'll just be another waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by noriah47 View Post
                            I seriously hate the emphasis that networks are putting on using Hulu. As a Canadian, there is no legal way for me to use the system. I'm glad that I'll be able to watch Universe at the same time as the Americans. But until Hulu is being broadcast into Canada, it'll just be another waste of time.
                            That is because at it simplest term Hulu is like a US TV channel. Think about a TV channel has entertainment you want to see and commercials for advertisers who fund these TV channels. Doesn't not Hulu met this same qualification. Criticizing you do not get Hulu sounds like a Canadian angry they don't get CBS or me angry that I don't get SPACE. Obviously we could make 100s and 100s of contrasts on how they are different but imagine all the copyright anger foreign channels would yell if they couldn't get the revenue they wanted because a US legal website was airing to everyone on the planet. I dare say many of those channels would wind up shut down when you consider how much American TV products become international
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

We get CBS.

Oh, and it seems that SGU will air at 10pm ET after the pilot airs...

Hi Ann-Marie,

Stargate Universe’s two-hour premiere will air Friday, October 2 at 9pm ET. Its timeslot will be Fridays at 10pm ET the following week and onwards. Sanctuary is premiering October 9 at 9pm ET.

Thank you for your interest in SPACE!
                              http://www.spacecast.com
                              http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...stargate-pics/

The source is an apparent email response from SPACE posted by the commenter Ann-Marie Sloan in JM's blog entry comments section. Frankly, I trust her; though it's understandable if someone else doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X