Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was up with [Incomprehensible Alien Sounds]?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was up with [Incomprehensible Alien Sounds]?

Jack that Ancient, I mean.

I liked the episodes about he and John creating that first Wormhole Weapon but there was one thing in Icarus Abides that really was difficult to grasp.

He was worried about Furlow's involvement with their plan and actually asked john if she could be trusted. So obviously he has considered the danger of her turning on them. Then when she does and he can see quite clearly that she is a threat to them. And instead of doing something about it with his superpowers in the opportunity he has, such as when she is busy explaining her plan to him, he simply smiles and turns his back on her. Which allows her to shoot him dead. I thought being a "god-like alien" he'd have some sort of complicated contingency plan, but no he just inexplicably turned around and let an obvious danger to his people kill him. I thought maybe he had somehow survived since he was so powerful, but he was apparently just dead, and Crichton never found out why, and this all eventually leads to his demise in the pod. I get it was a powerful episode, but I still don't understand why this ultimately happened exactly in the end there.

Also, FYI, the fact that I have this screen name when talking about this episode is a total coincidence.
    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 29 August 2009, 06:15 PM.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

His death was a means to an end. It wasn't perfect, but it had to happen for the sake of the story.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Well yeah but maybe if she'd shot him in the back when he wasn't looking it would have made more sense. But she didn't. He just turned his back even after he could see she was a danger. That just seemed so suicidal that I figured he had to have a plan, especially after that smile he gave her right before; but turns out it was seemmingly just him giving her a perfect opportunity to kill him, which she took.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
        Well yeah but maybe if she'd shot him in the back when he wasn't looking it would have made more sense. But she didn't. He just turned his back even after he could see she was a danger. That just seemed so suicidal that I figured he had to have a plan, especially after that smile he gave her right before; but turns out it was seemmingly just him giving her a perfect opportunity to kill him, which she took.
        Maybe he truly thought she wasn't a legitimate threat to him, at least not in the lethal sense.
        sigpic
        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Did Jack know that Furlow had a weapon in her hand at that time?

Also, I don't believe that the Ancients are god-like (at least not the Ancient that portrayed Jack), but just a really advanced alien.
          sigpic
          "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
          Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Originally posted by McClance View Post
            Did Jack know that Furlow had a weapon in her hand at that time?

Also, I don't believe that the Ancients are god-like (at least not the Ancient that portrayed Jack), but just a really advanced alien.
            I sure don't think so. If he did, and still turned his back on her, then he got what he deserved.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I'd probably have to see the scene again to be certain but I was almost sure that she already had him at gun point. Which basically made it seem like essentially he did get exactly what he "deserved" for doing such a stupid move. That is one of the main reason I was so surprised.

It's largely just a kinda "Whaaaaaaa-?" moment.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Hmmm... I'm thinking they really needed to kill him off, and did so in a lazy way. Most people don't question the events too much if they aren't blatantly ridiculous.
                Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

I will have to re-watch this two-parter soon.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                  X