SPN: What makes this show so awesome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPN: What makes this show so awesome?

What are your reasons to love or like Supernatural?

Is it the boys, the stories, the gore?

For me its not the gore, I am not a great fan of the horror genre at all, but I like films like "the Ring".

Supernatural lives and breathes. For me its the characters, who are just great developed and acted. I like, that you know them so well but still don't necessarily know everything about them and that there is always the possibility that something is going on behind your back.

Then its the stories, which first started with a little bit "monsters of the week" but since the main storyline got its grip its getting stronger and stronger. Not that it started weak at all.

You never know how the next episode will be - is it funny, is is sad or creepy, or is it everything from hilarious to depressing.

Oh, and I love how they make an earnest episode and are still able to put one or two scenes inside which crack me up - without ruining the story.

There are so many more points I could picture out (like playing with genres or tropes), but first I'd love to see your points

Edit: To distinguish this from the general discussion, I thought this to be more a meta discussion about the whole show and its concepts.
    Last edited by iolanda; 20 August 2009, 12:45 AM.
    The cake is a lie!

For me, it is the characters, the stories, and the gore. I pretty much love everything about this show. I have from Day 1.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

like fifth said.....just about everything on this show is done so well that it makes it awesome.....and how kripke and co. continue to get better and better every year while getting their budget slashed every year is amazing as well.

Comment

Supernatural filled the void left by Stargate for me. What they have in common, and what attracts me to them both, is that they're SciFi/Fantasy, but in a RL setting, in our own place and time.

I don't watch a lot of TV so I don't have a base for comparison, but the quality of the actors on Spn down to the smallest role is amazing. They make the stories so believable, and draw you into the plot.

sigpic
        Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
          Supernatural filled the void left by Stargate for me. What they have in common, and what attracts me to them both, is that they're SciFi/Fantasy, but in a RL setting, in our own place and time.

I don't watch a lot of TV so I don't have a base for comparison, but the quality of the actors on Spn down to the smallest role is amazing. They make the stories so believable, and draw you into the plot.
          If more shows made were of this quality, the entire industry would be in much better shape. No doubt about it IMO.
          sigpic
          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Pretty much it for me as well. I was hooked from the moment I first saw this show. It's got the same wonderful sense of humour that I love about Stargate, along with riveting storylines and really good characters. They've also got the 'creepy kids' thing down to a fine art! They make ordinary things so fantastically creepy, totally brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
              Pretty much it for me as well. I was hooked from the moment I first saw this show. It's got the same wonderful sense of humour that I love about Stargate, along with riveting storylines and really good characters. They've also got the 'creepy kids' thing down to a fine art! They make ordinary things so fantastically creepy, totally brilliant!
              That last argument is a very good point. There are a few things in my home I'll never look at the same way again. Also, I love Kripke's twisted sense of humor. In the interview he did on the DVD set about A Very Supernatural Christmas he said that there were three scenes they wanted to do to make it a totally perverted Christmas - and one of them was to kill somebody with a Christmas tree. Now, who else but Spn would think of something like that?

sigpic

Comment

That last argument is a very good point. There are a few things in my home I'll never look at the same way again. Also, I love Kripke's twisted sense of humor. In the interview he did on the DVD set about A Very Supernatural Christmas he said that there were three scenes they wanted to do to make it a totally perverted Christmas - and one of them was to kill somebody with a Christmas tree. Now, who else but Spn would think of something like that?
                I've really got to look at the extras on my DVDs, that is hilarious! Definately see that whacky twisted humour in the different ways he found...

Spoiler:
                to kill Dean
                in 'Mystery Spot'!

I loved another show, 'Dead Like Me' for the same reason, it too had fantastic 'black' humour.

Comment

Mystery spot is a great example for "what makes SPN special".

Spoiler:
                  When I watched it for the first time I just had no idea what's going on. Was this supposed to be funny or dramatic? And it changed the whole time.
                  I first thought that this is "yet another Groundhog Day rippoff " - and after the second death it gets funny, just to become extremely sad and depressing in the end.

Some episodes start with a cliché, they play with some rules one is used to, but then they turn into something so different. Its a little bit like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get.
                  The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post

Spoiler:
                    When I watched it for the first time I just had no idea what's going on. Was this supposed to be funny or dramatic? And it changed the whole time.
                    I first thought that this is "yet another Groundhog Day rippoff " - and after the second death it gets funny, just to become extremely sad and depressing in the end.

Some episodes start with a cliché, they play with some rules one is used to, but then they turn into something so different. Its a little bit like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get.
                    Totally agree with you on that one! It's the seamless way this show can go from the sublime to the ridiculous, the comic and tragic in just one episode. Over the span of a series this is reinforced as we watch the characters face each challenge and how they subtly change with each one they are faced with. It's that masterful characterisation that makes this show so awesome for me, along with the fantastic situations they are faced with.

Comment

I've really got to look at the extras on my DVDs, that is hilarious! Definately see that whacky twisted humour in the different ways he found...

Spoiler:
                      to kill Dean
                      in 'Mystery Spot'!

I loved another show, 'Dead Like Me' for the same reason, it too had fantastic 'black' humour.
                      I love the specials and BTS stuff. That's why I buy the DVD sets even though I have all the eps from iTunes anyway. And that was one great episode!

Originally posted by iolanda View Post

Spoiler:

It's the famous story where you're not sure whether you should laugh or cry. I think it's also a credit to everybody how close they make the fans feel to the Winchester boys. You really feel with and for them as they go through their roller coaster ride of a life.

Totally agree with you on that one! It's the seamless way this show can go from the sublime to the ridiculous, the comic and tragic in just one episode. Over the span of a series this is reinforced as we watch the characters face each challenge and how they subtly change with each one they are faced with. It's that masterful characterisation that makes this show so awesome for me, along with the fantastic situations they are faced with.
                      What amazes me is that - with the exception of Ghostfacers which I blame on the time constraints after the writers' strike ended - they have never struck out with a single one of their experiments. There were a few eps where I was really worried before their aired, because I felt they would be too clichéd or would mess with the wonderful chemistry the show has, but I was always proven wrong, and many of those episodes have become my favorites.

I think the best example was The Monster at the end of the Book. When I read the synopsis I was thinking 'Meh' - but the way they poked fun at themselves and (in a very kind and tongue-in-cheek way) at the fans was pure brilliance. "The best part is when they cry." And the scene about the slash fan? I was laughing until I cried.

sigpic

Comment

I love the specials and BTS stuff. That's why I buy the DVD sets even though I have all the eps from iTunes anyway. And that was one great episode!

It's the famous story where you're not sure whether you should laugh or cry. I think it's also a credit to everybody how close they make the fans feel to the Winchester boys. You really feel with and for them as they go through their roller coaster ride of a life.

What amazes me is that - with the exception of Ghostfacers which I blame on the time constraints after the writers' strike ended - they have never struck out with a single one of their experiments. There were a few eps where I was really worried before their aired, because I felt they would be too clich餠or would mess with the wonderful chemistry the show has, but I was always proven wrong, and many of those episodes have become my favorites.

I think the best example was The Monster at the end of the Book. When I read the synopsis I was thinking 'Meh' - but the way they poked fun at themselves and (in a very kind and tongue-in-cheek way) at the fans was pure brilliance. "The best part is when they cry." And the scene about the slash fan? I was laughing until I cried.
                        I've yet to see 'The Monster at the End of the Book', it was one I missed due to having to go out and never got a chance to see it. Looking forward to the season box set coming out on Sept 1st!

I find sometimes that I read the synopsis of an episode too and think, hmmm. However, I've always been amazed how I get drawn into the stories every time, however mundane the premise seemed. I guess this is what makes this show so awesome, their ablity to put a wonderful twist on the simplest of things.

'The Benders' was one episode where I wondered how its subject was relevant and 'scary'. It turned out to be a really memorable episode, more terrible than some of the other supernatural stuff!

Comment

'The Benders' was one episode where I wondered how its subject was relevant and 'scary'. It turned out to be a really memorable episode, more terrible than some of the other supernatural stuff!
                          That episode really amazed me with how good it turned out to be.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I get scared by horror, so I actually WANTED to like this show, but the few times I caught part of it, I was too scared to sit through it. But when a bunch of friends from these Gateworld threads kept touting how good it was, I decided to give it another chance.

Watched the first disc and was blown away by the tight, unique scripts and amazing humour. Was still scared of the gore but by the third disc, I had gotten past that (living proof that those OOT mothers are right, you CAN get numb to the violence pretty easily! ). The scripts just got better and better, Jensen was flawless from the start (and not hard to look at), but Jared soon found Sam's voice and was right up there with Jensen in terms of acting. The dramatics arcs got even more heart-wrenching. They excel at finding guest actors (recurring and one-timers) and their humour is now unequaled by any other show that *I* have seen. What an incredible mix, this show is absolutely everything!

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                              I get scared by horror, so I actually WANTED to like this show, but the few times I caught part of it, I was too scared to sit through it. But when a bunch of friends from these Gateworld threads kept touting how good it was, I decided to give it another chance.

Watched the first disc and was blown away by the tight, unique scripts and amazing humour. Was still scared of the gore but by the third disc, I had gotten past that (living proof that those OOT mothers are right, you CAN get numb to the violence pretty easily! ). The scripts just got better and better, Jensen was flawless from the start (and not hard to look at), but Jared soon found Sam's voice and was right up there with Jensen in terms of acting. The dramatics arcs got even more heart-wrenching. They excel at finding guest actors (recurring and one-timers) and their humour is now unequaled by any other show that *I* have seen. What an incredible mix, this show is absolutely everything!
                              Glad to hear that you were able to put aside your fears, and actually overcome them, in order to enjoy this show. Trust me, if you stick with it, things just get better and better.
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                              X