This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Children of the Gods- Wormhole mistake

As I said in a previous post I watched today "Children of the Gods" Final Cut. Something was bothering me. I finally realized what it was. When the gate first initiated it didn't produce this bubble (sorry I don't remember how it's called) but I thought this is OK since it's an incoming wormhole. So Apophis entered the gate and took that blonde as a hostage. The gate is fully functional during the incident, the gunshots etc., that is it doesn't shut down at all(!) and then Apophis just walks through the gate again. But he should have dialed again and have another, this time, outgoing wormhole, don't you agree? Otherwise he should be dead that instant according to Sam and the whole wormhole theory throughout the series...
    sigpic
    O'Neill, barging into Daniel's office: "Alright, what the hell is going on with me?"
    Daniel: "What do you mean?"
    O'Neill: "Well, apparently I've lost the falatis to speak properly! That wasn't a joke. I didn't do that on purpose."
    Season 2, "The fifth race"

I'm reasonably sure I remember the gate actually shutting down after Apophsis comes through. So no that's not true at all. Besides there's a cut to a different scene partway through the sequence and we have no idea what went on with the gate in the missing time.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
      I'm reasonably sure I remember the gate actually shutting down after Apophsis comes through. So no that's not true at all. Besides there's a cut to a different scene partway through the sequence and we have no idea what went on with the gate in the missing time.
      Yes you're right, I re-checked it. The gate shut down for a while, my mistake.
      Mr. moderator, administrator or whatsoever could you please delete this
      embarassing for me thread????
      sigpic
      O'Neill, barging into Daniel's office: "Alright, what the hell is going on with me?"
      Daniel: "What do you mean?"
      O'Neill: "Well, apparently I've lost the falatis to speak properly! That wasn't a joke. I didn't do that on purpose."
      Season 2, "The fifth race"

Comment

You've no need to be embarrassed because there actually was a mistake in the original version and show creator Brad Wright admitted to that in his commentary on the new version. They added a tiny clip where Apophis is barking out something to his Jaffa which we are supposed to assume are commands to manually dial the gate.

I need to review this segment of the original version which I have on DVD and the new "Final Cut" version, because I seem to have that same Apophis barking sequence in both (though mirror imaged between the two I think). I'm not sure that there wasn't a minor "fix" or two done for DVD releases so that what you get on DVD isn't exactly the same as what originally aired on Showtime or Sci-Fi.

That would be interesting if someone could identify that sort of alteration. One would need to have VCR/DVR recordings of original broadcasts from 1997 as well as DVD's and then again, would more recently produced DVD's be different from first release versions?

Update:
        Yes, it's true. My 2006 slim pak Season One DVD version of CotG has Apophis barking out commands and looking upward and to his left just prior to Gen. Hammond entering the gate room. It also has the film scratch repaired in the scene where SG-1 meets the "worshipers" on Chulak. In the new CotG_Final Cut, Apophis looks up and to the right when barking his Dial-the-gate-manually commands. The editors obviously flipped the image for whatever reason.
        Last edited by fwupow; 23 August 2009, 12:45 AM. Reason: update
        sigpic My Twit-name (@fwupow) is the same!

Comment

Originally posted by fwupow View Post
          You've no need to be embarrassed because there actually was a mistake in the original version
          That is a common misconception, but there actually was no mistake. The gate was ALWAYS shown shutting down JUST after Apophis came through. Always been there, all versions. We just never heard them dialing out again afterward, until they added it in the Final Cut.
          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Ok, thanks for that.
            It would seem that BW is a little confused about that one as well. Since I didn't have any circa 1998 VCR recordings or first release DVD's I wasn't sure.

I'm still miffed about where one might see the film scratch that BW talked about in CotG-FC extra.
            sigpic My Twit-name (@fwupow) is the same!

Comment

Working...
            X