This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My personal concerns/opinions about SGU

Here it is, your place to express what has you concerned about SGU. Or what has you encouraged. Or what has you excited.

Now, ground rules.

NO BASHING. Of characters, of actors, of staff. (and bashing is determined by the mods)

NO ARGUING. I don't care if you think someone else's opinion is crap. They're just as entitled as you are to express that opinion.

SAY YOUR PIECE AND MOVE ON. I do not want to see the 'let me post the same thing over and over and over while i beat the dead horse to death' tactic a few of you employ. Shockingly enough, we all kinda know how you feel, no need to post the same theme over and over and over.

NO SNIPING, SNARKING, SMART ASS REMARKS OR GENERAL GITTYNESS

Respect each other. Respect each others' opinions. If our regular batch of 'holier than thou's' drop into the thread to do their usual job of rabble rousing, we reserve the right to take away their posting privileges. And this post is your ONLY warning. So if you don't think you can follow the rules, don't post.

Remember, the topic is YOUR PERSONAL CONCERNS/OPINIONS, not 'my opinion on others opinions' Keep it on topic, or keep it to yourself.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Thank you for starting this thread Skydiver

Here are some of things that have me concerned with SGU
    • The Focus on character drama
      I really don't care whose getting it on with who, whose gay or straight, whose home sick, or whose doing whatever else with whomever else, those things just aren't entertaining to me. I wanna see people exploring other worlds, fighting evil, finding cool alien tech, and maybe a few witty remarks by the team's leader thrown in here and there.
    • Departure from the traditional Stargate format
      I really enjoyed SG-1(seasons 1-8) and all of Atlantis but it just seems like SGU will be completely unlike them given comments from TPTB and others involved in the show. As Shanks said "its not your father's Stargate".
    • The "We can't go home thing" thing
      Voyager has done it, BSG's done it, Sliders has done it, its almost become a cliche at this point. It doesn't make the show anymore unique by doing it too, and personally, I got bored with the idea after the first few eps of Voyager.

Comment

One thing that I've always thought separated the Stargate franchise from other sci-fi's, and even regular shows, is the sounds. Joel Goldsmith does an amazing job writing music. I actually have all the soundtracks, I think their on par with Howard Shore's work in LotR (budget not withstanding). Apart from that, the sound effects throughout the show are so memorable. Who doesn't love the sound of a good kawoosh! or the creeping of replicators?

One of my concerns is this: From the trailers I heard no orchestral work. I think that Stargate NEEDS Joel to make the show all that it can be. Other than that I just hope that they find great unique sound effects (I'm sure they will).
      My other concerns are very common.....will it be too different, yadda yadda

On the plus side I'm seeing more involvement of the existing mythology than I thought there would be so that's great!
      I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello.

Comment

I have one major concern, and a lesser one.
        Major one : I'm worried that the plot of the show will become way to dependant on the LRC device, as both a direct connection back to earth, and a way for people from earth to help fix up the destiny.
        Minor one :
        In addition to Joel’s wonderful contributions, the episode also includes an established contemporary tune. - Quoted from JM's Weblog (Link at bottom of post)
        From this, it is clear they are using both orchestral work by Goldsmith, and some modern music. I'm simply worried that the modern music may not feel right to the mood of the show, but I'm hoping to be very pleasantly surprised.
        JM's Weblog.
        sigpic

Comment

my biggest concern is that I won't like the characters, which will affect my feelings for the show.

Comment

I dont think the modern music from the trailers will appear in the series, many movies use alternate music for advertising and then score the final roduct differently, a recent scifi example would be Star Trek which had trailers with music completly unrelated to that of the film.

Comment

I hope that SGU creates it's own (new) mythology of Stargate while expanding the original mythology of stargate like where did the Ancients come from and where did the ship get builld at. Also i hope that every character gets a very good background story so it make the show and characters intresting.

Comment

I think the most fair way to answer this question (given what limited info we have on SGU) is to give my opinion on both my concerns as well as things that seem exciting or interesting:

Looking forward to:

The new style of the show. By this, I mean aspects like shooting style, "darker" themes, more serialized nature, and more character-focused. All of these (at least for me) lend themselves to exceptional storytelling if done well.

The familiar aspects of the show. TPTB have expressed interests in sticking with and further building on the existing Stargate mythology. While some things (i.e. Goa'uld, Asgard, etc...) may not be touched on as much, the general elements that are always present in Stargate will still be there. Furthermore, it's nice to hear that the show will still have a sense of humor (according to Brad and Rob).

The characters! These characters have certainly come a long way from those initial casting sides (hmm...deja vu?), and things are shaping up to be great in this regard. The characters all seem compelling (at least for me), and I'm excited to learn more about them as the show goes on.

And, finally, I'm looking forward to having new material to discuss. Gateworld has been great so far since I've joined, but I'm eagerly awaiting being able to discuss new episodes as they actually air. There's only so much fandom speculation I can take

Concerns:

Believe it or not, I do have some concerns about SGU. For example...

The long-range communication device. Now, I don't have a problem with this for any specific plot reason. Rather, it's a much more general gripe I have that it may lend itself to relying too much on Earth contact after a while. I've seen a lot of people that have complained that SGA restored contact with Earth far too early, and I could see this being a storyline hindrance if relied on too much.

Another concern of mine comes from my pessimistic side. Sometimes I find it hard to put myself into the mindset that TPTB are actively trying to make beneficial changes. It's easy to fall back on "Same writers=same problems", so I try not to do this.

Lastly, I worry a bit about character over/under-utilization that might come about. Furthermore, the main cast of SGU is quite large, being more of an ensemble cast than SG1 or SGA had. I just worry that the writers might get bored with a character and decide to write them off, or that a character will be reduced to having no real substance because it's hard to write them into more action-packed stories.

So there you have it. My as-concise-as-possible opinion on SGU as we know it so far. It's always subject to change, of course, and I hope my concerns are proven wrong once SGU starts airing
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

in general i'm optimistic. I've got a broad taste and trust them.
                  If they do all the moral dilemma thing right, this could really turn into an amazing show. Maybe the last two Atlantis seasons were a bit worse because they were burnt out on that old style...

the concerns i have are mostly, the destiny looks too dark. I know they want to make the series edgier and all, but i wouldn't like them to watch the crew too long inside it.
                  And im concerned about how cutoff they are. Atlantis was to be the same, but then they made contact with Earth and suddenly Atlantis became a superpower...

Comment

The only concerns I have is when are we going to get it. I'm still waiting for seasons 4 & 5 of Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Chel Nak View Post
                      The only concerns I have is when are we going to get it. I'm still waiting for seasons 4 & 5 of Atlantis.
                      I know how you feel mate, I'm from Melbourne. Of course you could always do what I do and explore alternative means of watching the new show...
                      Meh.

Comment

I hope that people will accept what the producers and writers do to shwo us great stories and keep the stargate franchise alive and not condemn it like they did with SGA

Comment

When I clicked this thread I was in fact hoping to see Skydiver's personal opinion. This thread does not deliver.
                          "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                          Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                          Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                          Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                          Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Well I am concerned about the
                            Spoiler:
                            Lesbian intimacy scenes equal to the heterosexual intimate scenes as well as the fact of romance in SGU.
                            I just hope they don't overdue it and they keep it modest and don't make it graphic. I'm also a little worried about the ancient body swap thing, just might get a different feel without it. Also all this sex stuff as a result of the swap. I mean the main characters should know not to use other people bodies for sex, they can't be that bad of people?

The rest I m looking forward to, but what I just staited is shorting my enthuaism out of the sky.
                            Last edited by major davis; 19 August 2009, 05:52 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                              Well I am concerned about the
                              Spoiler:
                              Lesbian intimacy scenes equal to the heterosexual intimate scenes as well as the fact of romance in SGU.
                              I just hope they don't overdue it and they keep it modest and don't make it graphic.
                              i don't want to argue or anything, just asking clarification. As you seem more bothered about sex scenes, how much does it need to show for it to be considered graphic? I don't know if you've seen the scene in the game Mass Effect, but i guess it's somewhere on youtube, do you consider it graphic (asking this, since it's about what i'm expecting that will be shown on universe?

Comment

Working...
                              X