Does it get better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it get better?

I've just started watching Sanctuary....

While the webisodes were nice and great potential showcasing, I was a little dismayed to find myself watching them all over again for the first two (three, I suppose) episodes of the series. I've now watched the fourth episode of the season, 'Folding Man', and found myself watching a rehash of a story that was done (better) by The X-Files almost 16 years ago. Yes I know it's not exactly the same, but close enough to be uncomfortably similar.

Perhaps posting on a Sanctuary fan board isn't the best place to ask this but I was wondering, does this improve eventually?
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 14 August 2009, 08:51 PM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I've just started watching Sanctuary....

While the webisodes were nice and great potential showcasing, I was a little dismayed to find myself watching them all over again for the first two (three, I suppose) episodes of the series. I've now watched the fourth episode of the season, 'Folding Man', and found myself watching a rehash of a story that was done (better) by The X-Files almost 16 years ago. Yes I know it's not exactly the same, but close enough to be uncomfortably similar.

Perhaps posting on a Sanctuary fan board isn't the best place to ask this but I was wondering, does this improve eventually?
    Well, for the TV series, the 8 webisodes were reworked to become the first three episodes of season 1, with webisodes 1-4 becoming the Sanctuary for All two-part pilot, and webisodes 5-8 becoming Fata Morgana. I think this was done because most of the TV viewers probably hadn't seen the webisodes. So it was necessary to start over with the TV series, so to speak, instead of just picking up where the webisodes left off, especially since ep 8 ended on a cliffhanger.

Folding Man did have some similarities to the X-files's Squeeze (when I first saw it one of my first thoughts was 'it's Tooms!' ), but the story played out differently enough that I still enjoyed it.

Personally, I think the show got better as the series went on, as I think the actors became more comfortable with their characters and the writers got a better sense of what kind of stories they wanted to tell. So I would say that if you've enjoyed the premise of the series thus far, it's worthwhile checking out the rest of the season. Some of the highlights, for me, are Kush, The Five, Edward, Requiem, and Revelations.

sigpic

Comment

I actually quite liked Kush. It may be a tried and done story, but it was done very well.

On to the next episode!
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I would say The Five and Revelations are Sanctuary at its best. Warriors is Sanctuary at its worst
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

'The Five' was a pretty good episode, very solid stuff. Pretty unique and interesting take on vampires, a scifi/fantasy/horror villain I don't generally care for. Awesome idea though, this is a sort of vampire I really like.

Glad to see this series turning around.

Comment

i think it kept getting better and cant wait to see s2... i cant wait to see where they take the characters and learn more about the sancturary... for a small budget i think they did really well with season 1...

as for episodes being like eps from other shows that happens alot between sci fi shows...

just look at sg1 - beneath the surface & voy - workforce or tng - cause and effect & sg1 - window of opportunity...

there are at the end of the day only so many stories to tell and while they have the same premise each is still good...
            "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

I think the first couple of eps were just getting things set up & the show was getting on its feet. There are some really good ones as we go along. I'm looking forward to S2.

Comment

'The Five' was a pretty good episode, very solid stuff. Pretty unique and interesting take on vampires, a scifi/fantasy/horror villain I don't generally care for. Awesome idea though, this is a sort of vampire I really like.

Glad to see this series turning around.
                Glad to hear you kept going and are enjoying the episodes more now. I also really liked The Five. I think you will enjoy most of the rest of season 1 (I'm not a big fan of Warriors) and, in particular, Requiem (fabulous performence from AT) and Revelations (great fun, nice cliffhanger).

Season 2 will be on Space in the fall.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I agree that the episodes got better as the season went along. The only episode I didn't like at all was Instinct (not a big fan of annonying reporters/weather girls who act like to should be working for tabloids and not the local news team)
                  ~"Often we forget . . . the sky reaches to the ground . . . with each step . . . . we fly."~ From We Fly by The House Jacks

Comment

The webisodes were good, but the series in general (like everyone has stated already) improved with each and every episode. My favorite has always been Requiem as it showcased AT going out on a acting limb in the sense of doing something completely different and she was wonderful in it. It's an episode with suspense and really made you think which I love in any scifi show. Kudos to Sanctuary and onward to season 2!

Comment

Really didn't enjoy Requiem all that much. I find it a little odd that Will pretty much lives with them and calls Helen "Magnus" all the time. I tend to be on a first-name basis with my friends, and only call them by last names if I know a few of them (ie: Mikes). Plus, I have a really hard time taking AT seriously as a villain. RepliCarter was calculating and cold, she could do that just fine, but infected Helen Magnus was more of cape-spinning firstborn son abducting MU-HA-HA-HA! villain and it just didn't work for me.

Oddly, contrary to opinions in this thread, I didn't really mind 'The Warriors' that much. The Fight Club angle was admittedly a little absurd, and Will's muscle suit was ludicrous on a level not seen since Lee's fat suit in BSG, but it was really nice to get some plot backstory going.

Comment

And I've now caught up. With the finale, I couldn't help but think X-Men, but I think it was well done enough to stand up on its own. It had a nice quest feel to it you don't get too often.

Casting on this show is generally pretty solid. It's really nice to see Amanda Tapping as someone other than Samantha Carter--though I still find the accent a little jarring evem after 8 webisodes and 13 episodes. Will is a fresh face who fits right into his character. Ashley, wow. It took me about half the season to place where I'd seen her before--the mother of the kid in BSG! Apparently a very versatile actress

The real gems though, I think, are the big 'guest' stars. Christopher Heyerdahl is just absolutely fantastic when he's on as Druitt. He's so very interesting, convincing, and frakking enormous! I wish I was that tall.... Tesla is also a really fantastic guest star as well. Very convincing, very interesting as a character. I hope we continue to see more of both

Comment

Really didn't enjoy Requiem all that much. I find it a little odd that Will pretty much lives with them and calls Helen "Magnus" all the time. I tend to be on a first-name basis with my friends, and only call them by last names if I know a few of them (ie: Mikes). Plus, I have a really hard time taking AT seriously as a villain. RepliCarter was calculating and cold, she could do that just fine, but infected Helen Magnus was more of cape-spinning firstborn son abducting MU-HA-HA-HA! villain and it just didn't work for me.

Oddly, contrary to opinions in this thread, I didn't really mind 'The Warriors' that much. The Fight Club angle was admittedly a little absurd, and Will's muscle suit was ludicrous on a level not seen since Lee's fat suit in BSG, but it was really nice to get some plot backstory going.
                          Warriors was just kind of stupid sadly, "Your going to the next LEVEL!" (A direct quote). The villainous plan also sucked: oh yeah, in the days of assault rifles and heavy caliber support weapons, not to mention camouflage and air strikes, they think they can take over the world with a bunch of stupid muscle men. Bullet > Muscles, EVERY TIME.

The episode with the Bug and Nubbins are the best of the series. They do need to invest in some guns bigger than pistols though.
                          sigpic
                          In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
                          "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Yeah, I kinda liked the flashbacks and Ashley's small part in Warriors, I could have done without the 'juice level', the icky scarab stuff, and Will's muscles being taken over 9000.
                            Oh and I just loved the
                            Spoiler:
                            happy ending when Will's pal gets back to his wife.
                            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

The real gems though, I think, are the big 'guest' stars. Christopher Heyerdahl is just absolutely fantastic when he's on as Druitt. He's so very interesting, convincing, and frakking enormous! I wish I was that tall.... Tesla is also a really fantastic guest star as well. Very convincing, very interesting as a character. I hope we continue to see more of both
                              Yay for sticking with all episodes, it really did get better eh?

I'm pretty sure both Druitt and Tesla will be back for more in season 2
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X