A question for the whole timetravel thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for the whole timetravel thing

I know that alot of shows are doing timetravel episodes now but what i was wanting to know is if you travel back in time then what happens to your time that you just left ??

does it just cease to exist or does it carry on without you because your now in a different time ??

and what happens when you want to go back are you really going back to the same timeline because you could have changed it and if you did change the timeline then does the original one continue without you or what ??

help please.... im confused...
    Better a diamond with a flaw than a peeble without

Originally posted by camothor View Post

does it just cease to exist or does it carry on without you because your now in a different time ??
    IMO i would say it ceases to exist because your not there anymore, and if your not there what you know cant be there [i'm getting confused]
    and what happens when you want to go back are you really going back to the same timeline because you could have changed it and if you did change the timeline then does the original one continue without you or what ??
    When you go back it depends..was it a big or small change...or did you alter someone else's future...

Though one small thing could change everything

like carter said "I'm afraid to step on a bug and change the future"
    thats from a movie not sure which one

But it all depends and on what sscale
    WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
    Germany Chiefed Poland.
    England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
    England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
    France got Chiefed.
    Japan decided to scout America.
    America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
    America cut Japan to 90 pop.
    Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
    USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
    Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
    Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
    USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
    Hitler deleted his account...
    USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

when travelling back in time the future after that is changed. wheter it becomes an alterate reality or is erased is unknown

Comment

Well you can't know for sure.

But when you go back in time the time you left will just carry on, i don't think that it ceases to exist just because one or few persons go away from there.

If you go back to future it propably won't be the same timeline because it is likely that you have changed something and maybe even created a new timeline where you belong after your little trip back in time.

And yes there are many parallel timelines so you don't have to worry about killing a whole universe if you mess with the past.
        sigpic
        SGU, cannot wait for more of you

Comment

I'd say the most common theory is that from your point of view, your original timeline will cease to exist as changes brought about by the effects of your travelling to a previous point in time mean you can never return to it. You will instead always return to an alternate timeline. For another person in the original timeline who doesn't travel with you however, they will carry on as they are.

Although, as pointed out by Tergerus above, unless someone can actually build a time machine, travel to the past and then return to tell us (which in itself would disprove this theory), we will never know.
          sigpic

Comment

I've thought that when you go back in time, you create an AU starting from the point where you went back. The original timeline, however, still exists and can be reached by either A) going back to the exact same point in time that you went to the first time and playing out the events exactly the same way as before you went back in time (borders on completely impossible) or B) traveling between AU, like as seen in DV.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

i like farscape theory in witch nothing ceases to exist, you can always return after you left, but you can't arrive before you left because there already exist infinite amount of time lines, but you can make it like your own
              ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Best thing to do when thinking about timetravel is to not think about how it works or what effects it has
                Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
                Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Traveling back in time and altering the past results in an alternate timeline. Whether or not the original timeline continues after the alteration is unknown. I think that the original timeline would cease to exist if it was altered. It is unlikely that the original timeline would become an alternate reality because there are already an infinite number of alternate realities.

Comment

According to relativity, time is relative to your position in space,so time would continue as normal because after you change the events of history, you return to the exact time you left. It would be like you never left in the first place to the timeline you left originally.

Comment

Originally posted by camothor View Post
                      I know that alot of shows are doing timetravel episodes now but what i was wanting to know is if you travel back in time then what happens to your time that you just left ??

help please.... im confused...
                      Of course you are. But by way of consolation, so are the world's leading physicists and philosophers. So much in fact, that they try and avoid the topic as much as they can. What scientific notions have been given on time travel are *far* more complicated that what any show portrays. Mostly, popular sci-fi just picks this or that element according to whim. Some depict time as a self-correcting continuum with nexus points (Star Trek Enterprise), some immerse in paradoxes (Stargate).

Point is, if such a thing as time travel were possible, the theory would likely be beyond what current humans are capable of grasping with their limited brainpower. I suppose it would include notions so profoundly alien that they would make no sense to us right now. I cannot guess as to the nature of these notions; anything I could think of would likely be a poor substitute.

By way of example, take the nature of subatomic particles. No one knows what that precisely is either, but most scientists today think that a subatomic particle is merely the manifestation of the threedimensional crest of a 10- or 11-dimensional (or 27-dimensional in some theories) wave of something, and that matter and energy inherent to the particle are in fact only two different aspects of this wave manifesting as separate properties of reality.

Compared to the nature of time, this is probably simple. Got even more confused? That's all right, there's no shame in that here.

Comment

While it may not be true, it has been proposed that it is impossible to change the past thus you return to the same world you left.

There are two ways this can make sense.

A: The time you left was already changed by what you did. So when you go back to the past and think you change things you are actually doing the very things that made the world you left the world you left.

B: You actually cannot change anything. Period. If you go back in time you cannot kill your grandfather. Move heaven and earth, but you cannot do it. There will never be a paradox no matter how much you try to make one.

Or there is a much better explanation that solves the entire problem. Time travel does not and cannot exists.
                        My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

Well that's the thing about time.

You see most people think of time as a linnear and logical progression of A leading to B leading to C when really it's more like a big ball of Wibbley Wobbley.....Timey Wimey.......stuff.......
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Ok, so here's my take on it. I think the quantum mirror and the AR drive on the Daedalus are connected with time travel.

In order to make any sense out of it, whenever you go back in time you have to create an AU from the point of your arrival...otherwise you get involved with a lot of paradoxes.

Now, if your person retains, say, a temporal signiture, keeping you in sync with the reality you left, then you should be able to return to your original timeline on the point you left plus the total amount of time you have been 'gone.' So if you went exploring the past, creating AUs along the way for a year, then you could return to your own timeline 1 year after you left. If you came back earlier, then you'd just start another AU.

I think the quantum mirror is essentially how you would get back. Travel up the timeline you are on to a parallel time(going forward wouldn't create AUs) and then cross over.

By the way, this would mean that all AUs were created by time travelers.
                            Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRc_J8f_qXg
                              einsein is smart ...watch farscape 4x11 'unrealized realities'
                              ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Working...
                              X