PDA

View Full Version : Citizen Joe (815)

Pages : 1 [2]

Lord Zedd
April 5th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I read some of hte posts about Citizen Joe but I really liked it hihi About the Furlings,about Whormhole Extreme,Jonas He was really sad about Daniel dying
I found it cool that O'Neill has descided to talk to Joe's wife about the whole thing at the end he opened the conversation with it is all true. I think that they'll sign a confidentiality contract or so. I hope that Jack now has succeded in saving Joe's marriage.Joe only told the thruth to his wife and she didn't believe him.Hopefully she makes it right now.Hope they won't divorce

SeaBee
April 28th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Sorry, folks, this ep is not for me. I feel that, rather than it being a nod to the fans, it came across as a big mickey take of them.

I also don't like clip shows, to me they're used to trim the budget and make a cheapie. They don't move the story on, and and tend to be used to pad out a series.

Believer
May 11th, 2005, 07:55 PM
I was laughing so hard through this whole episode...I thought, "Hey, a geeky bald guy who knows all about the Stargate program! Didn't we do this...twice?" So from the teaser-thing, I wasn't looking forward to it. After watching it, though, I wouldn't have missed this one for anything!

It said everything the fans like to say...down to "About Pete Shannahan..."

They even bashed a couple eps, which was hilarious. And the Daniel thing was awesome.

The "plot," if one can even use that word within 10 miles of this ep, was nonexistent. The resolution is...Jack goes and explains the STARGATE to his wife? Yeah right. Worst ending ever...but still a great ep, because plot wasn't important to the ep, and neither were the clips, really. Which was good, because the ones they had weren't really any of the good ones, IMO. The humor was everything, and it was awesome. From the beer-omlette in the beginning to the fan-stuff that was throughout, it was HILARIOUS!

Yas, I so enjoy reading your posts. You are one of the most insightful posters in the Forum, and you never fail to make a point, usually, with wit, humor and intelligence.

I too enjoyed Citizen Joe, exactly for what it was.....a bit of a poke at all of us, fan and "stars" alike. The episode was just that, and didn't try to be anything more, which made it delightful. I thoroughly enjoyed it and agree that the casting was superb!

I think it's episodes like Citizen Joe, that have kept SG-1 alive and kicking for 8 years, now, hopefully, for more. Every once in awhile, TPTB throw us a curve ball, instead of a fast one. :D ;)

Stricken
May 26th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Just two other things to add.

1. I have to wonder what was going through Joe's mind on three other occassions:
1. when Jack had the ancient repositories downloaded into his mind
2. when Jack was in the time loop
3. when he was frozen in antarctica - did Joe just have a couple of months break from the visions?

and finally, did anyone else notice how clearly visible AT's bump was in this episode. You couldn't see nothing in Full Alert, but it was clear as day in Citizen Joe. I have to wonder if they're just going to hide her behind a desk for most of the rest of the series, or if this was filmed further along the line.

and that's all folks!

Hadnt noticed the bump *rushes over to video player to play back recording*

You have raised some good points, wht happend to Joe durring those times, who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fair_nymph
June 3rd, 2005, 03:44 PM
Well, I quite enjoyed this episode. It was a clip episode, and those will never be my favourite (I rewatch stuff enough or watch it closely the first time, I don't need clips thanks!), but it was pretty good for being a clip episode. So my comments and ratings henceforth will be about the non-clip aspects of the show. I do prefer a full team SG1 ep, but if I like to make the most of what I'm given.

I thought Dan C. did a great job as Joe. He's clearly a very talented actor. The rest of the minor characters were well cast and well acted also. I particularly liked his wife Charlene and his barber shop assistants.

As other have noted there were many fun moments where the writers were clearly commenting on fandom, and I thought they did a really good job, picking out major concerns and unfinished stories that have really troubled fans. I found it sympathetic, a good-natured nod in our direction. It's nice to know they are aware of our presence (even if they don't seem to necessarily listen to us :D).

I liked the contrast between the female fans (Charlene, the woman in the barber shop) vs the male fans (Joe, his assistants, his son), with the women bringing up the 'interpersonal relations' and 'emotional' aspects with the men being more focused on tech and action. Obviously it's not that cut and dry (I love action and tech, personally, and Joe cried when Daniel died), but I thought it was interesting how they portrayed different aspects of fandom.

The bit with the ancient stones/communication device was a nice plot solution and could be useful in the future. I didn't have issues with what Joe knew despite Jack not always being close to the stone -- as someone else stated I think that as their psychic bond grew the stones became less necessary. I noticed that Joe only used to get the visions when actually holding the stone, but as time went on he would get them even with just the stone in his pocket or possibly (it's not shown clearly, but we could guess) when he doesn't even have it on him.

There were some brilliant lines/moments beyond the fandom -- the shippy Jack moment that Joe says he'll keep quiet about, then mentions Pete, the 'fake gun' scene, the nod towards Jonas, the 'alarm/dog/door unlocked' convo, Jack's lack of alarm about or mention of seeing into the life of a barber for 7 years (which didn't bother me as it seems to have bothered alot of viewers - I subscribe to the 'people would have thought he was crazy' theory). These little gemlike moments made the ep quite enjoyable for me.

My only quibbles were (and if you read my reviews of eps, you'd note that I RARELY nitpick, so it's gotta be pretty obvious and major for me to complain about it:

-Joe's son growing up so fast, seemed unrealistic (I like how one of you phrased it as 'nanite induced' lol!).

-Jack not recognizing Joe when he was confronted by him, despite seeing into his thoughts for 7 years...serious plot hole there.

6-7/10 would be my overall rating.

immhotep
June 29th, 2005, 05:16 AM
I have just rewatched this episode and i have to say it one of the best 'clip shows' there has been on SG1, LFP was brill but besides the point, there are a couple of unanswered questions though/ things for the future:
* are jack and joe in communication, or will they be during S9?
*did joe go to antartica to test his gene?
*did they shut it off?
*could jack skimp paperwork by jsut having joe write the mission reports ( by carrying the stone with him )?
*will the atlantis team be able to utilise the technology?, if the stone was taken on the daedalus to pegasus, oniel could thoerically be there without being there, that would be fun for nxt seasons clip show!
*what else is in the quantum horde?
*will joes stories be used as official documents, they are extreamly accurate?

8/10 ep IMO, better than moebius ( i hate that episode, spoiled S8, but empowered SGAS1!)

solar wind
August 15th, 2005, 02:33 PM
"-Jack not recognizing Joe when he was confronted by him, despite seeing into his thoughts for 7 years...serious plot hole there." Quoted from fair nymph

The quantum stone at the SGC was kept just below the room where all of sg-1's mission reports were kept. Jack activated it so the link was with him, but the only time he would have had 'flashes' was when he was near the stone, maybe walking past the storage room. But perhaps the stone was transferring the information to Joe from Jack's mission reports that were stored right above it, so Joe wouldn't have had to rely on Jack being near the stone. So Joe would end up having more flashes than would Jack. It seems a little strange that it would come from mission reports, but why else would they mention that the stone was kept directly below them?

Amanda Eros
September 20th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I did not like this episode mainly because they ignored season six. And for the uncalled comment about Daniel being better than that other guy... very unprofessional. Although it does make me wonder if someone is insecure about themselves and that's why they had to give the boot to the 'other guy'. It also made the team look like fackers because they didn't stick up for Jonas when he made that comment. You spend a year with a person, and you call them a friend, yet you don't even bother to defend them. My respectablity towards the show dropped a notch or two with that episode.

Oh, and I guess they used the wigg on MS at the end to get more use out of it. lol. His hair isn't that thick!

cafine_us
September 20th, 2005, 12:30 PM
You're right about the "other guy" comment, but Jonas was otherwise ignored because this ep is a S8 clip show. The point of the show is to remind viewers of information that will be needed to understand later episodes. Jonas didn't play a role in season 8 and probably won't in S9, so there was no need to give him a big mention.

P-90_177
September 22nd, 2005, 01:43 AM
I loved it when Teal'c walked into the briefing room and Joe greeted him in Jaffa. His face was a picture. The bit with Danial and Jack talking about upping Jacks security was good as well.

Chris Allan
October 23rd, 2005, 09:11 AM
I thought this was probably the best episode of Season 8 and one of the best ever. It's great to see that the writers take on board the fans criticisms of the show and are willing to mock themselves over bad episodes. It's definately an episode that rewards long term fans of the show, as newer fans may miss some of the in-jokes.

I normally hate clip-shows as a cheapcop-out of an episode but Citizen Joe is hilarious.

timdalton007
October 25th, 2005, 11:31 AM
This is the second best clip sow of the series, just behind Politics. It had a great cast and one of the most original storylines to appear on the series. The episode is a must see for die hard fans of the show.

timdalton007

bcfc
November 26th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I agree I enjoyed this episode more than Politics it gave the view of the fans prespective from watching the show over the years and gave a wide range of emotions.

P.s this was one of the first episodes I watched when getting Series 8 DVD's

:) :D :) :D

GivenToFly
January 29th, 2006, 07:19 AM
I just saw this episode for the first time this afternoon. Being a poor student without Sky One and waiting for the DVD boxset release next month I've been watching the show on Channel 4, which brings with it the nightmare of putting up with Steve Jones and June Sarpong (the presenters) before and after the show.

I have to admit that when it first started I was a little disappointed to see it was going to be a clip show. As a general rule I'm not a great fan of them, although they are a pretty cool way for newer fans of the series to catch up with story arcs and/or for new fans to get into the series. Hmm. I Babble.

So. I was pleasantly surprised, and ended up really enjoying the episode. The last bit after Joe gets taken to the SGC in particular was hilarious. I was cackling so loudly when O'Neill admitted that he'd been seeing visions of Joe's life for seven years and hadn't mentioned it that my housemate came to see what on earth I was doing! :)

Kate xx

SaberBlade
January 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM
i'm just after watching this episode again on Channel 4 in the UK but i've just realised something. how did Joe know to call Jack the leader of the SGC when the memories he was viewing was set before Jack was even promoted and i believe before Daniels death at the end of S5?

cafine_us
January 29th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Some of the memories shown were from back in S5, but some of them were later. The battle over Antarctica, for example, occurred late in S7, shortly before Jack was promoted. I think Joe saw the visions as the real events were happening, or at the latest, when Jack was writing his mission reports. Even if the vision wasn't shown to the viewers, Joe probably saw some indication of Jack's promotion.

Callie
January 30th, 2006, 12:26 AM
On Sunday I watched the first half of Season 9's "Stronghold" before stopping to record "Citizen Joe" from the TV (like GivenToFly above, this was the first time I was seeing it on television, although I'd seen it before by other means). As the episode ended, I actually cried a little for what I consider to be the loss of such a great series, and I really didn't want to go back to watch the rest of "Stronghold". I remember loving "Citizen Joe" from the first time I saw it, but it had added poignancy after I've seen so much of Season 9. With "Reckoning", "Threads" and "Moebius" coming up, Season 8 ended on a terrific high. Alas, poor "SG-1" - I knew (and loved) it well!

jazz!
January 30th, 2006, 05:17 AM
I loved the 'newly' added scene showing how Jack came into posession of the stone :D

GodAtum
January 30th, 2006, 10:41 AM
WHOOH! The most surreal episode I have ever seen. Teal'c's face at the end when Joe gave the Jaffa greeting was hilarious. :indeed:

Did Joe ever get to see the Stargate or was he just kept in the briefing room?

andrelage
February 14th, 2006, 03:33 AM
loved this episode. it included some of the best moments from previous seasons. i could watch this episode over and over again.

Moepoe
February 27th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Ok so tonight, watching Citizen Joe for like the 10th time i swear and it finally hits me.

I KNOW HERE JOES BARBER SHOP [email protected]! haha it had been bugging me everytime i watched it lol and tongiht it finaly hit me lol i dont know if someone has already talked about this because i am not going thru like 800 other posts lol A. since i am lazy and B. I have class in the morning haha need sleep. If not you all learn something new haha.

That is DownTown Ladner haha. I have BEEN to the barber shop and gotten my hair cut lol Ok done my little rant thingy for now haha.

Captain-Peregrine
March 16th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I was just wondering... okay, Joe really doesn't see any "episodes" before the end of season one, right? What is that--"The Serpent's Lair"? I can't remember off hand. In any case, he never actually sees any "episodes" prior to that, so how is he able to write "Hathor"? He never actually saw that mission...

So I couldn't sleep last night and these are the questions that come up when that happens. lol:mckay:

Daniel's_twin
March 16th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Alright, I'm not an expert, but from what I remember, it didn't necessarily need to happen chronologically. So long as Jack was thinking about the mission (and you gotta admit, that Hathor incident is definitely something that's hard to forget), it was possible for Joe to see it. I think. Somebody else think they can explain this better? I can't help but think that my explanation is flawed somewhere. :cool:

Cherriey
March 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Hasn't someone mentioned this before?

The stone wasn't far from where Jack sat to write his mission reports. Obviously he had to recreate the occurance to get it down... so what Joe got was Jack's imagination recreating various things that went into mission reports.

Captain-Peregrine
March 18th, 2006, 07:32 PM
'Kay. I was just wondering and sorry if this question's been asked before. I was just confused, though it does make sense that Joe would see what Jack was thinking, hence being able to see missions from before the end of season 1.

Mr_Fantastic
April 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Who here thinks that the episode Citizen Joe was a really interesting one? It made a preverbial "clip show" really entertaining. I do have a couple things to say about it. At the end. Jack O Neill tells Joe's wife that the Stargate is real and all that other junk. Isn't that a security breech!?

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
He's a general, he can do whatever he wants. Besides, he was fixing the life of the guy whose life was screwed up because of him, so, you know.

Matt G
April 7th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Though technically it wasn't screwed up by him, it was screwed up by Joe unwittingly picking up a piece of alien tech...in other words by dumb luck.

Still maybe Jack told his wife in the hope that Joe wouldn't blab to anyone else.

Mr_Fantastic
April 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Though technically it wasn't screwed up by him, it was screwed up by Joe unwittingly picking up a piece of alien tech...in other words by dumb luck.

Still maybe Jack told his wife in the hope that Joe wouldn't blab to anyone else.
that leaves a pretty BIG loose end doesn't it?

PG15
April 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Not really.

I mean, who's gonna believe Joe if he blabs?

Enzo Aquarius
April 9th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Not really.

I mean, who's gonna believe Joe if he blabs?

Touche, he told his friends that they were stories he made up, and as such would be collateral for 'delusional' thought. They're a standard everyday family, do you think they would want to mess with a governmental secret?

P0sitr0nic
April 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM
"I totally see it, Burns.. as Gao'uld!"

Comming from Homer Simpson's voice actor, that made the show.

captain jake
April 30th, 2006, 05:26 AM
This mission realy does not fit into the agenda of the sgc.

harsiesis child
May 28th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I liked this episode... for some people it is not a stargate episode, but for me it was amusing to see these references to the fans... Joe reactions are a bit our reactions, it is sympathetic :)
and it has consequences: without him, the events of season 9 would not have occured! :cool:

Mainer82
June 13th, 2006, 02:55 PM
What i think TPTB were trying to get across with the whole "how many times can the go'ould attack earth" angle in the ep, is them relating to creating new bad guys in S9 and hopefully diverting away from "teh ev1l Gooooold!!!1"

And the Furling part could also be about them relighting old stories.
That's a good point, but I could never get enough of em. ;)

I really enjoyed this show. "Joe" did an excellent job. I love the part at the end where Jack thought it was normal to have the visions of a barber. Heh.

Admiral Mappalazarou
June 15th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Stargate is revolved around missions to other planets - this one was good because it wasn't all set within the SGC and gave a relatively normal person on Earth with no knowledge on alien activity apart from headlice a perspective into the Stargate world - his reaction was brilliant each time he touched the stone, but especially when he cried when Daniel left in the vision of the ep Meridian - that WAS hilarious. Completely.

captain jake
June 26th, 2006, 06:45 PM
It was fun but nothing more then a simple flashback episode.

I would prefer to see some cool space battle episode with a good plot.

Daniel's_twin
June 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
If you get those all the time, then I assure you they'll get old fast because sooner or later they'll run out of "good plot". Even if you don't actually enjoy shows like this one (don't understand it but to each his/her own), they at least make you appreciate the big bang-'em up stories even more. :cool:

captain jake
July 1st, 2006, 12:35 PM
Im not saying I didn't like it I just didn't love it.

luthienberen
July 3rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
I did not like this episode I have to say. In my opinion it was a waste of RDA's precious time and completely ridiculous plot wise. Jack would really not tell the doctor that he was having visions of another man's life? Of course he would! It was so out of character that it made me sneer in disgust. The little exchange between Jack and Daniel about upping security was a bright spot in an otherwise dull episode - and indication that TPTB couldn't think of anything more interesting or actually connected to the big round spinny thing - the Stargate -to write about - bleh. Definitely one of Season eight's lows.:(

Oh, the ending was good.

captain jake
July 4th, 2006, 12:31 AM
You mean how jack wen't and talked to his wife? Or a more general ending?

luthienberen
July 4th, 2006, 11:38 AM
You mean how jack wen't and talked to his wife? Or a more general ending?

Jack going to talk to the wife - nice to know that Joe's marraige might get back on track, ought to once she knows he wasn't mad but telling the truth - no matter how wacky.

captain jake
July 6th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I wonder if the kid will believe his parents?? Or maybe they won't tell him.

luthienberen
July 6th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I have no idea. If they don't they'll have to use another good explanation that covers why his Mum is willing to go back to his 'crazy' father.

captain jake
July 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Like what?
I am scared of being alone so we are going back to your crazy father.......

Thor's Chariot
July 14th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Boring, i feel asleep during this episode. This is the worst of season eight, now onto Reckoning part 1

Sheppard
July 15th, 2006, 10:45 PM
i fell asleep while watching this episode i wont watch it again ever

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I Loved This Episode - It Was Amazing

stewsith
August 19th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I liked it. It was one of the few clip show episodes that actually had some fun content. Also it was seen through the eyes of a stargate fan which is even better!

Chaka's_Mum
August 22nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
I agree. It was a neat twist on the 'clipshow' concept in that it didn't have the characters sitting around mooching about and describing their previous adventures/having to explain themselves to someone by describing their previous adventures/having to justify the continued existence of the Stargate Programme by describing their previous adventures. We've done those already and they were OK (speaking as someone who doesn't generally like clipshows, no matter how useful they are to production teams), so it needed a new angle.

I thought it was great fun. The idea of Jack spending the equivalent time seeing the day to day adventures of a Smalltown Barber - and not thinking anything of it - made me chuckle.

SamO'Neill
September 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM
I really love this episode, even though it's only a clip show. Basically it's the comment from Joe saying, "What's with this whole Pete Shanahan thing?"

Ahahhaha. THat was awesome! And then, of course, Joe agreeing not to say anything about Jack's feelings towards Sam. They are so meant for eachother. I mean, a complete stranger knows that they belong together!

It's just kinda nice to know that TPTB didn't throw out the ship when Sam was still engaged to Petey..

SGC General Griff
November 2nd, 2006, 11:50 AM
I've just seen this season 8 episode and there was one moment in it that I thought was spooky. One of the guys in the barber shop made a comment about the Furlings and that they probably look like Ewoks. I have seen the 200th episode yet as I live in the UK but when you see the Furlings on there don't they look like Ewoks?

FallenAngelII
November 2nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
You don't see actual Furlings.

SGC General Griff
November 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Ooops I was meant to say I haven't seen it yet instead of I have

Brigadier General Pants
November 2nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
It just seems to be a running joke with the writers, whenever the Furlings turn up, they have a character mention how they must be 'furry' or 'cute'.

OrangeShipper
November 26th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Hmmm.. I only just saw this last night, and was actually disappointed with it. I'd expected it to be a really, really good, funny episode... But it just didn't work for me.

I think the major thing i didn't like was that pretty much the entire show was just Joes life... I think I was expecting it to cut back to present and go to the SGC much, much sooner than it did. Jow irritated me a bit after a while, so did his wife, so did his obsessions... i duno.
The other thing I didn't like was, as some people have said, the fact that Jack had been seeing his life for 7 years. No, it isn't plausible to me at all. He MUST'VE seen that Joe was writing and telling everyone about SG-1... I know that Joe didn't know Jack was seeing his life, but SG-1 was all Joes life became, Jack MUST have seen that. Security breach??!!! It's a more severe security breach than Marty. This guy knew EVERYTHING. Surely that was worth mentioning???

Don't get me wrong, there were parts I liked. All the actual SG-1 bits were great (incl the phone convo!! And the gun part, all that.), and I loved that tptb put across fan opinions as though coming from actual 'fans' within the episode. The furling reference was great (200!!), the 'there's not as much character interaction' was great, the thing about some 'episodes' not being as good, Wormhole Xtreme being on tv - all that I LOVED!!

Oh, one more thing - WAAAAY too many clips. I don't think all the clips were necessary. Especially not SO many from the Season 1 finale (sorry, I don't remember the title).

Overall... Nah, didn't like it much.

saberhagen83
November 26th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah I didn't really like this epsisode either. It's actually one of those that I will likely not watch again, unless I'm going through the entire season as I sometimes do. It was too much about Joe, I would have liked more of the others to appear in the ep too. Clipshow eps are not very good most of the time, and this is no exception for me. I think, SGA used a clipshow ep much better with "Letters from Pegasus" in S2. If this ep could have used Joe and more of SG1 I think it could have been something more fun.

Krisz
November 26th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I liked this episode. Stargate does 'clip' shows really well IMO. They sucessfully intergrate clips into a good storyline and I thought this one was pretty original. In fact it didn't feel like a clip show to me.

I can imagine Jack not thinking that Joe's awarness of events was a security risk as he could see no one believed Joe's 'stories'. Watching Joe losing everything as he gets obsessively absorbed in the events of Jack's life drew me into his world and must have been awful for Jack to watch. Joe sharing Jack's devastation at Daniel's death (In Meridian) is one of the most memorable scenes in Stargate for me.

It was a fanciful touch to let Joe and his wife know that it was all real in the end, stretched belief a little too far but I am willing to overlook it as a moment of sheer 'mushyness' that is good for the soul sometimes in our cynical world!

Jack wanted Joe to have his life back and that's the sort of noble act I like Jack for.

Ascension
December 3rd, 2006, 09:07 AM
My favorite part in this episode is near the end when Jack admits he's being seeing things too.

O'NEILL: Bowling league, Thursday nights?

JOE: You saw that?!

O'NEILL: You got game, son!

JACKSON: Wait a minute. Jack -- you've been seeing parts of the life of a barber in Indiana for seven years and you never mentioned it?

O'NEILL: Yeah, sure I did. I know I did.

LOL, best part in the episode.:jack:

kevinyim
January 9th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I kinda have this problem about this episode personally. I have almost the same problem where Joe had the problem. Everyone starts to not care about the Scifi stuff like when you go up to a friend or a someone they don't care about it and don't really talk to you anymore, so should I ask Sen'il in the Gateworld opinion section or get help from a councilor? I really need a reply soon as possible because I'm really depressed about people not liking me.:jack:

"Thank You guys"
-Kevin Yim

OrangeShipper
January 10th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Noticed another problem with this when I watched it again yesterday... If Joe only got his impressions from SG-1 when Jack was writing his mission reports, then how did he know stuff like his feelings for Sam, or her thing with Pete? Unless there was some connection of thoughts and feelings as well... Or I guess he could've "seen" conversations between them on base and assumed... But if that IS the case, surely Jack MUST have been able to likewise see the effect it was all having on Joe's life, and his family.. And that just makes JAck seem cruel for not doing something about it. There's just way too many holes in this ep!!

O'Neill4prez
March 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Really enjoyed this episode, jack was great(hiding the fact he was getting someone else's memories) and it was nice to see a simpsons actor after all Jack talks about it:jack:

plastic
March 20th, 2007, 11:14 AM
This episode made me laugh so much. I think it was there faces when they found out jack had been seeing someone elses memories. Very funny!:D :D :D

garhkal
March 20th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I wonder if they send say, the NID into that town to get everyone to sign a NDA, cause of the 'stories' he wrote/told..

line17
April 9th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I wonder if they send say, the NID into that town to get everyone to sign a NDA, cause of the 'stories' he wrote/told..

I wonder about the stories that were tossed in the bin.

As for the two stones. I wonder if they would work through a quantun mirror. One person with a stone activates the mirror. The other person stays behind with the other stone. Would the stones still transmit?

garhkal
April 9th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I wonder about the stories that were tossed in the bin.

Perhaps they were collected up to be used to complete mission reports..

StefanSGA
April 15th, 2007, 03:30 AM
I Loved this show! The best part was when Teal'c entered the briefing room and Joe greeted him with the Jaffa arm-shake, 'chel nem rom' or something like that. I watched the part more than 1 time, i couldn't stop laughing! That look on Teal'c 's face! :tealc:

garhkal
April 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Chel Kek, Nem Ron..

Jopp
April 16th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I Loved this show! The best part was when Teal'c entered the briefing room and Joe greeted him with the Jaffa arm-shake, 'chel nem rom' or something like that. I watched the part more than 1 time, i couldn't stop laughing! That look on Teal'c 's face! :tealc:

Yeah that was good.
Citizen Joe was the very first episode of Stargate I had ever seen.

Mandysg1
April 18th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I have to say this is one episode in S8 I really didn't like and haven't been able to watch the repeats :(

General David Niemi
July 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah that was good.
Citizen Joe was the very first episode of Stargate I had ever seen.

It was the first season eight episode I saw :D

Verona
July 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Loved the Jack in this episode,and for the first time I did not mind it was basically a clip show ( as a rule Dont like them)

General David Niemi
July 13th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Loved the Jack in this episode,and for the first time I did not mind it was basically a clip show ( as a rule Dont like them)

:indeed: This was probably one of the good Jack episodes. :D (Even though is was about Joe.) :D And I always liked clip shows for some reason :confused:

OberonSky
August 1st, 2007, 04:41 AM
I used to not like this episode but I re-watched it recently and I found it to be not that bad at all.

Well except for one thing.... Joe's wife.

I am surprised that no one commented on that woman's attitude which I find very annoying. She is the epitome of what is wrong with marriage in general, a dumb wife with her book club "heart of a woman" trash, constant grating and nagging, and her "you need to seek professional help" talk. Who in their right mind would want to keep such a person as a companion/friend let alone a life-partner. Nothing hinders a man's creativity and limits his potential like a wife of that type, ask Socrates!

If I were Joe I would have kicked her out and divorced her without hesitation.

garhkal
August 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM
Agreed. but one thing i would love to know, is whether they did any clean up after the fact since all their missions were out there for Joe's community to see along with all the 'books' he sent out..

shelsfc
August 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
In fairness...the poor woman was putting up with a lot. Her husband was neglecting all other areas of his life, losing customers, and eventually his whole business, not to mention the respect of everyone around him. And all this because he was obsessing over these stories that he thought he was writing, but was unable to do anything with. I think she was quite reasonable under the circumstances!! ;)

Bekki
August 27th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I think the fact that TPTB actually put Homer Simpson in an episode of SG-1 was funny enough for me. (or at least the actor that plays him)

I liked this episode. It lovingly made fun of all us fans who sit on the edge of our seat waiting to find out what happened to SG-1, who write fanfic, and who like Joe, raced into the street and yelled "NOOOOO" when Daniel died. It was a tongue in cheek tribute to us

It was a clever way of making a clip show.

madaboutdanny
September 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM
In fairness...the poor woman was putting up with a lot. Her husband was neglecting all other areas of his life, losing customers, and eventually his whole business, not to mention the respect of everyone around him. And all this because he was obsessing over these stories that he thought he was writing, but was unable to do anything with. I think she was quite reasonable under the circumstances!! ;)
Totally agree with you! I love Joe, but I feel so sorry for his wife!

Krisz
September 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I think the fact that TPTB actually put Homer Simpson in an episode of SG-1 was funny enough for me. (or at least the actor that plays him)

I liked this episode. It lovingly made fun of all us fans who sit on the edge of our seat waiting to find out what happened to SG-1, who write fanfic, and who like Joe, raced into the street and yelled "NOOOOO" when Daniel died. It was a tongue in cheek tribute to us

It was a clever way of making a clip show.

Well said! For me Stargate did the best clip shows and this was the best of them! :)

Trek_Girl42
September 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Well said! For me Stargate did the best clip shows and this was the best of them! :)
I agree- SG-1 did do a couple of decent clip shows- and this is the episode that got me hooked on Stargate! The great thing about this one is that there was actually a very good story behind the clips, which made it fun. :D

garhkal
September 20th, 2007, 02:29 PM
My prefered clip show is disclosure... As it had kinsey getting slapped down verbally by thor!!!

Trek_Girl42
September 22nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
My prefered clip show is disclosure... As it had kinsey getting slapped down verbally by thor!!!
Hehe. That moment was excellent. But the rest of the ep was boring. But it's still worth watching just for that moment. :D

garhkal
September 23rd, 2007, 01:10 PM
I thought it was a great way to bring in the other countries into the IOA>.

Trek_Girl42
September 28th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I thought it was a great way to bring in the other countries into the IOA>.
Yeah.....but there was nothing exciting about it, I just felt like they could have made it something.....more.

Lord Zedd
June 25th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I liked the episode a lot but found a tiny plothole. Joe could have checked the internet and find information about Daniel Jackson. If he saw a photo of Daniel, he might know a lot sooner that they were real!

ParadoxRealities
June 26th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I liked the episode a lot but found a tiny plothole. Joe could have checked the internet and find information about Daniel Jackson. If he saw a photo of Daniel, he might know a lot sooner that they were real!Joe isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the box, ya know.

Jeff O'Connor
June 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I utterly adore this episode.

L E E
August 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
I liked this clip show. I thought it was rather creative how they incorporated common fan reactions to the series.

And I don't have a problem with Jack not telling anyone about his visions. Until he met Joe, he must have thought that his subconscious just created a fantasy life for him. Jack's life is not normal. He must have found solace in seeing the very normal life of a barber from Indiana. I thought it quite poignant when Jack said that he found these visions relaxing. Deep inside, he wishes for a normal life but he know he cannot knowing what he knows is out there.

I have always trusted Jack's instincts when it comes to danger. He has proven it time and again. If he found these visions dangerous, he'd say something. If he had any inkling that what he was seeing was real, he would do something about it.

SG1FanOregon
August 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
It was almost sad watching Joe's life go down the toilet because he was hooked on that stone like a druggie on meth, but I loved the ending. It was a good ep & nicely different from the norm.

MmmmMcKAy
August 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Pretty good for a clip episode.

Ulkesh47
October 7th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I love this episode!!!

Athram
October 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I love this episode!!!

Yep it is definately one of the best :)

Lid
October 14th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Yep it is definately one of the best :)
One of the funniest episodes.

jelgate
October 14th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Well I personally can't stand this episode. One of the worst in SG1's history

Lid
October 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Well I personally can't stand this episode. One of the worst in SG1's history
What did you not like?

metalheart777
October 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Absolutely one of the best SG1 episodes ever! When I first saw the episode I remember thinking that the guy who played Joe was incredible. I wondered where they found him. I finally looked him up one day and freaked out! He's HOMER!!!!!!

~ mh777

Anda
October 16th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I love this episode too

Murzin
October 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
yes, he is homer.

RDA has a huge obsession with the simpsons.

in the ice-planet episode where they go and work in the mines, he says that he remembers someone who is bald and says "doh" a lot and states that he is important to RDA for some reason. he means homer

in the moebius set, the name of his ship in AT is homer

there are other occurances too

janus 510
April 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
what number was this episode in because in the boxset it is 3 last and in gateworld episode list it's 6 last why is this

VSS
April 6th, 2009, 10:05 AM
what number was this episode in because in the boxset it is 3 last and in gateworld episode list it's 6 last why is this

GW is correct. For some reason, the order was mixed up in some of the boxed sets. Otherwise, Jack ends up sleeping with someone he hasn't even met yet, and that's kind of hard to pull off even in science fiction.:P

Dinoman
April 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
A new way to handle clips show and to review what happened in the past 8 years of SG1 history. I just wonder how Joe could find out where Jack lives, considering nothing could be found on Sam's background by Pete previously.

suse
April 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
A new way to handle clips show and to review what happened in the past 8 years of SG1 history. I just wonder how Joe could find out where Jack lives, considering nothing could be found on Sam's background by Pete previously.

I enjoyed this ep. It made me laugh. And feel bad for a guy who must have thought he was going nuts.

suse

Petra
April 28th, 2009, 10:10 AM

One would assume Joe didn't have buddies in the FBI who would run background checks for him. ;) seriously though, I don't think it would be so difficult; after all he saw Jack's memories and I'm sure Jack happened to think about his home a few times during 7 years of writing his reports.

Anyway, it's been ages since I last saw it, but I enjoyed it very much. It's definitely the best clip show they ever did. As a Jonas fan I was just annoyed at one point, when Joe mentioned something about only Daniel truly belonging to SG-1 or something to this effect.

Dinoman
April 29th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I'm not exactly a great fan of Jonas but I also annoyed at him being totally neglected after he left. He did serve and contribute his effort while he was part of the SGC and truly deserve more.

Mis.Understood
June 18th, 2009, 01:15 AM
GW is correct. For some reason, the order was mixed up in some of the boxed sets. Otherwise, Jack ends up sleeping with someone he hasn't even met yet, and that's kind of hard to pull off even in science fiction.:P

I did get a bit confused on that. Especially after the 'shippy-ness' of Threads.

It is a very funny episode....I love the quote:

"....you have a thing for Peridot..'

and when Jack admits about the bowling league. So funny

gateship15
June 19th, 2009, 03:01 AM
lol this is a good episode i just liked that jack neglected to tell anyone he was having visions of a barbers life and that he finds a barbers life is relaxing :)

vzzzzzbx
July 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Okay, so it was a clip show but probably the best clip show they ever did, I liked it. I hope whoever screwed up the order of the episodes on the dvd's was suitably 'disciplined' though.

Mrs. Daniel Jackson
August 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I really liked this epidsode!!!:)
and normally i hate clip shows...well most clip shows! ;):o
I loved in the infermary:
Joe: Dr. Jackson, can I just say, thank goodness you're back. Not that Jonas was a bad guy, but after all you've been through together you belong here with SG-1.
Jackson: Thank you. Jack?
O'Neill:He's a barber.
Jackson: Broke into your house?
O'Neill: Yeah.
Jackson: Second week in a row.
O'Neill: Mm hm.
Jackson: Alarm.
O'Neill: I'm thinking dog.
Joe: You could try locking your front door.

it gets me everytime!:jack_new_anime06:

gateship15
August 28th, 2009, 02:37 AM
lol lol very very funny i agree don't usually like clip shows but this one works

s18sav
August 28th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I liked this epiosde even tho it was a clip show the momemnt when he meets teal'c is a blast. joe walks up to Teal'c and lets out and bows"shal'keknemron ....brill

Wandering Youth
August 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM
This is exactly why I love SG-1 so much. The stories are so intense and action packed, however, the pieces of comedy stuck in here or there only adds to the humanity of it.

gateship15
August 30th, 2009, 03:03 AM
i agree

mrscopterdoc
March 31st, 2010, 02:03 PM
Even though it is a clip eppy, it is one of the best.

rushy
April 26th, 2010, 07:22 AM
That Wormhole X-treme was weird...again. Joe was stupid:''DANIEL'S ALIVE!!!!! He should have known that he survived as he saw Daniel ascending!

rushy
July 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Joe went nuts during season eight episodes.

SnowWhite
November 1st, 2010, 03:57 PM
I just watched this ep and I have to say this was the first clip-episode I really enjoyed (except for the ending of Disclosure.. but that part had no clip). It was just so crazy that it was cool.
Joe seemed kinda like a mixture of Gollum and a hardcore-fan :D Even crazier than Marty^^
Best part was Jack admitting that he has seen lots of Joe's life and found it relaxing XDDD
(beside the "your feelings for.." *Sam walks in* :D)

maneth
November 27th, 2010, 10:44 AM
My favorite clip ep so far. Loved the ending where O'Neill went to see Joe's wife. I wonder if he prevented a divorce by doing so?

mathpiglet
April 15th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I love this episode. It pokes fun at itself, at all those persistent authors who get nothing but rejection slips (Jack's face is wonderful for that). Funny stuff.

KimCheeWarrior
September 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
im not even sure what it was about this episode that made it so enjoyable to watch. it was like i was reliving all the joys i felt while i was watching the entire sg-1 series again for the first time but through the eyes of another. the story of joe's affliction was also enticing to watch. i also feel a little guilty here but i actually felt the same way joe did when dj "died" (except without the throwing my hands in the air and screaming at the top of my lungs). the concept of this episode seems so simple that at the beginning i never thought that it would end up being so enjoyable to watch. at first i thought to myself, "oh great, another flashback episode", but to my surprise it was actually the first flashback episode that i thoroughly enjoyed. dan castellaneta was phenomenal as joe and i was quite moved by his performance. i laughed, i cried, i cheered, it was amazing. this is one of the few examples where an episode comes together so well. the only thing else i can say is that this episode was pure genius.

mathpiglet
March 21st, 2012, 12:54 PM
This episode is always enjoyable, no matter how often I watch.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
March 21st, 2012, 04:00 PM
Thought this was an average episode.

This was a well done clip show. I think this one and Disclosure (and maybe Inauguration) are episodes where it's plots can only be done in a clip show format.

That wig on Seasons 1-3 Daniel, looks absolutely ridiculous. I think it was because the hair looked too flat on that wig.

Tomorrow, the day of Reckoning begins. As well as the awesome ending to the 8th season and the Original storyline.

Krisz
March 21st, 2012, 06:02 PM
This is my favourite clip episode after 'Inauguration'.

Poor old Joe's life slowly unravelling as he obsesses about the unfolding of events through Jack's eyes.

It's weird to rewatch this episode now after how the use of the stones were devleoped in season 9 of SG-1 and SGU. Given how consciousness was swapped between two communication stone users Jack and Joe just watching in the background just seems odd now. This was clearly a case of developing the idea of these stones introduced here, ignoring the just looking in on a person's experiences to using the stones to swap bodies completely.

It was a fun story anyway and I think just popping in and sharing a person's experiences was better than ending up completely in their body and using it to do, well...(see SGU for that!) I try and ignore that aspect of communication stone use.

Jae'a
March 23rd, 2012, 01:07 PM
My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/45003.html)

I enjoyed writing that almost as much as I enjoyed watching this ep. :D
Well, at one point I did imagine Joe seeing this episode in his visions and got an 'infinite loop headache' almost as bad as my 'time travel paradox headaches'.. :P

unknown_k
March 23rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
I have to admit that I seen every episode of SG1 except this one (seen some of it got bored and fell asleep skipped to the next one later). Just watched it now and it wasn't bad at all.

It is weird how the stones were used in this episode compared to later SG1 and SGU (hated them in SGU). Wouldn't the CIA or FBI be looking for leaks and find this guy (he was writing what happened in missions exactly as he seen them for years and tried to get them published)?

jelgate
March 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM
What makes or breaks a clip show is the story behind the clips. And this story just doesn't work. I don't care care about some suburban man going crazy about some link to Jack. Never mind I have trouble grasping that Jack has been having visions about some barber for 8 years without it being noticed by the medical staff at the SGC. They are under so much medical scrunity. So just a boring episode all around due to the unbelieveable premise

unknown_k
March 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM
If you had visions of aliens and battles that would freak you out, visions of bowling and cutting hair would be kind of calming I guess (something that a great warrior like jack would like while writing reports back in the base).

jelgate
March 25th, 2012, 04:33 PM
The psychological and physical examinations that SG1 goes on through should have raised flags a long time ago if Jack was seeing Joe's life. I don't buy it

Lieutenant Sparrow
March 26th, 2012, 05:14 AM
This ep is half and half for me. I like it, but I don't at the same time. At times it got boring but I felt it picked up at the end.

It was quite funny the seeing the teams reaction to meeting Joe.

I did like the characters from the barbers

garhkal
March 26th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I have to admit that I seen every episode of SG1 except this one (seen some of it got bored and fell asleep skipped to the next one later). Just watched it now and it wasn't bad at all.

It is weird how the stones were used in this episode compared to later SG1 and SGU (hated them in SGU). Wouldn't the CIA or FBI be looking for leaks and find this guy (he was writing what happened in missions exactly as he seen them for years and tried to get them published)?

Perhaps it was because they WERE watching this guy, that his stuff kept getting rejected..

Matt G
March 26th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Another ep of SG1...

1. I just started this ep...and then I remembered how bad it was.

2. After that...it was like a car crash really.

3. Joe, if your wife thinks you are nuts, don't keep going on about the thing that makes her think you are nuts...

Baron Of Hell
August 2nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
I liked this episode except for Joe going on and on about the story and his wife leaving him over it. I guess I don't think seeing the visions should have drove him crazy. I wish they added something to explain his behavior. Other than that it was good clip show.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
August 6th, 2013, 06:32 AM
The visions didn't drive him crazy; he became obsessed. I think they explained his behavior quite well.

However, I admit that I got tired of the middle. It went on too long.

Seaboe

garhkal
August 6th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Pity they had to take that comm stone from him. Would have been nice to have seen what he would have felt should he have visioned what was going on in S9 and 10!

Krisz
August 9th, 2013, 07:38 PM
If he still had the stone I wonder what would have happened when Jack visited Destiny! :S

garhkal
August 11th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hmm.. That opens up some new worms.. Like what would have happened when the Asurans scanned his mind in the Return part 1-2.

LionHamster
April 12th, 2015, 08:22 AM
I guess he's what you call a stoner

hedwig
April 12th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Pity they had to take that comm stone from him. Would have been nice to have seen what he would have felt should he have visioned what was going on in S9 and 10!

Jack was in Washington D.C. in Seasons 9 and 10, so he would have seen nothing exciting, except for politicians fighting amongst themselves and Jack being frustrated. :p

garhkal
April 12th, 2015, 01:33 PM
What of when he was in the mountain during the Ori parts?

Anja
October 9th, 2015, 03:11 AM
I must admit I kinda liked this one. But why didn't O'Neill mention having glimpses of a barber's life? Well, consider this question as a rhetorical one because I know he gives an answer himself and we all can only speculate on better ones.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
October 9th, 2015, 06:36 AM
He didn't mention it because TPTB never thought of it before this episode. I think the reciprocity part is stupid and unnecessary, and carves huge holes in prior episodes.

Seaboe

Anja
October 9th, 2015, 11:23 AM
He didn't mention it because TPTB never thought of it before this episode. I think the reciprocity part is stupid and unnecessary, and carves huge holes in prior episodes.

Seaboe

I know reciprocity from biology and maths, but does it not imply a mutual agreement? There was none.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
October 12th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Not always. Part of the definition is
the quality or state of being reciprocal : mutual dependence, action, or influence.

In this case, the powers that be decided (for no good reason that I can see) that if Joe saw Jack's life, Jack must see Joe's (even though never, during the previous seven years, had there been even a smidgen of evidence that this was so). It was stupid and unnecessary.

Seaboe

garhkal
October 12th, 2015, 08:08 PM
And the only piece that 'confirmed it' was a few brief flashbacks that Jack seemed to have IN the ep..

Cluas
March 30th, 2016, 01:48 AM
I always hated those stones ... And they didn't even work that way in the later universe episodes... I DID like the actor playing Joe, he was as mad as Marty ...

:indeed:

Seaboe Muffinchucker
March 30th, 2016, 11:18 AM
I think this was a case of "wouldn't it be funny if...."

Later, when they decided the stones were a great idea, they ignored how they'd worked in this episode because that didn't fit with the new idea.

Seaboe

Anja
March 30th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Wasn't it Jackson who asked O'Neill if it hadn't been strange to have glimpses of a barber's life throughout the seven years before? I don't remember the ep but I'm pretty that this was said. So there is more than a hint that those stones worked both ways.

Brother Freyr
March 31st, 2016, 09:11 AM
Wasn't it Jackson who asked O'Neill if it hadn't been strange to have glimpses of a barber's life throughout the seven years before? I don't remember the ep but I'm pretty that this was said. So there is more than a hint that those stones worked both ways.Yes, they did.

I think this was a case of "wouldn't it be funny if...."

Later, when they decided the stones were a great idea, they ignored how they'd worked in this episode because that didn't fit with the new idea.
I reconciled the difference by telling myself that, well, a pair of initialized stones can revert to a kind of local-area communication, in the absence of a communication device (the device with receptacles for the stones). Joe and Jack's poorly guided visions were a consequence of not knowing how to properly use the stones for intentional, nearby communication. My explanation doesn't survive scrutiny -- for example, O'Neill didn't touch his stone; it was stored in the room above his office -- but I'm sticking to it because it feels good. :)

Anja
April 1st, 2016, 08:20 PM
I reconciled the difference by telling myself that, well, a pair of initialized stones can revert to a kind of local-area communication, in the absence of a communication device (the device with receptacles for the stones). Joe and Jack's poorly guided visions were a consequence of not knowing how to properly use the stones for intentional, nearby communication. My explanation doesn't survive scrutiny -- for example, O'Neill didn't touch his stone; it was stored in the room above his office -- but I'm sticking to it because it feels good. :)

I agree and it feels good for me too.

Nirude
June 20th, 2016, 06:58 AM
I always hated those stones ... And they didn't even work that way in the later universe episodes... I DID like the actor playing Joe, he was as mad as Marty ...

:indeed:
Yeah he was way better than Marty IMO. And the way Jack says the bowling visions etc, were relaxing was a nice finishing touch to the episode.

bluebari
March 14th, 2019, 01:05 PM
I find it unbelievable that Jack would never mention he was having those glimpses of Joe's life for 7 years. Moreover, wouldn't he also have to see the parts where Joe writes those SG-1 stories and becomes obsessed, and how it destroys his life and marriage? This would also be a huge security issue ...

Razibot
May 7th, 2020, 06:11 AM
I lost it when Joe greeted Teal'c :jack_new_anime06: