Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Fanfic comments

Hi there,
    I read quite a bit of fanfic and love it! It has certainly deepened my love for the characters of Stargate (and other shows).
    But I have a question about making comments to these stories.
    I am always happy to say what I like about a story and try to provide at least a little bit of positive feed back when I read a fic.
    But do you think the authors want to hear things I didn't like about a story?
    Or, say, perhaps that the introduction of a certain character or pairing or situation just made me not enjoy the story or stop reading alltogether?
    It has nothing to do with the writers ability to tell a story, just that I don't enjoy reading about what ever they are writing.
    Should I just move along, nothing to see? Or do writers want to know that someone chose not to read or stopped reading because of a certain element to what they wrote?
    I have never left one of these "negative" comments, but always wondered if I could or should and not insult the person who took the time to write the story?
    sigpic

This is a good question and I don't think there's any right or wrong answer. I've had a similar experience when a story, often very well written, goes off on a tangent that just doesn't twig my interest but I've always taken the view that it's their story to play with. I think most writers accept that not everyone will like their stories and just live with that thought.

Some writers might be happy to get such feedback and might even respond by giving some more information about why they chose to take their story in a particular direction. I'm sure others would take it as an insult and just ignore the comments/views.

I think a writer's response would also depend on how the criticism is worded too. Perhaps a better way to do express this type of views might be through a personal email rather than on the review/comments page where everyone can read?

Or as you say we can just move along and read something else!
    Last edited by Trillian52; 03 August 2009, 01:39 PM.

Comment

As a writer, there's a BIG difference between a negative comment and constructive criticism.

if i'm writing shippy stuff, usually it'll end up John/Sam.

I've had comments that range from "Squee! i Luv Sam/John but only when YOu write it!" to "Wow, i would have never thought those two would fit so well. you really showed how a relationship can come from there" to this somewhat neutral one. "Sam would never break the rules and go with Sheppard. She loves Jack and is probably married to him." to this gem. "To make a Sam/John relationship you'd have to completely rewrite Sam's character. There is no way she would break the regulations like that. Besides isn't she canon with Jack? do you even watch teh show?"

those are real reviews and PM's i've gotten by the way. I read and responded to each one but i'll admit, it's frustrating to get people disparaging your writing when it's only a negative comment. there's no constructive criticism and it was sent simply out of negativity. if all you're gonna do is say it sucks in various colorful wording, then better not to send anything at all.

That being said, you don't have to write it negatively. one marvelous review i got said that while the reader preferred a different pairing, they could see that i had done this one justice and if they looked past that one aspect, they highly enjoyed the rest of the story. Gave ma a somewhat detailed review of what they liked, and what they didn't like. THAT"S by far the style of review i enjoy the most because then i have fans and people who read tell me where i'm strong, and where i'm falling a little weaker.

As long as you don't "flame" ignorantly, most authors won't mind and will actually appreciate that you took the time to write a ConCrit.

Comment

As a reader I don't always review as a matter of course. It's usually the fact that I've really been enjoying the story but I have some constructive criticism to offer that finally compels me to review.

I always structure my reviews like this:

"I've been enjoying the story." Several reasons why (excellent mechanics, characterization, original plotline, etc). And any other positive thoughts that struck me and stayed with me while reading.

Then I offer my constructive criticism. I never use "but" becasue it has the tone of invalidating everything I've just said. Usually I phrase it as "something I've noticed" or "something you might want to look at/work on/etc" is.... and then explain. I do my best to be specific, say why, show how it could be improved. There's nothing worse than someone saying "you've got typos" or "I spotted a grammar problem" and they don't say where.

Finally, I say something positive again, even if it's just along the lines of repeating that "I've really been enjoying it."

I use that format because it's the clearest way I know of to communicate that I am trying to be helpful and not flaming or just being negative. A lot of it is about the language. I always use !!! a lot on-line becasue they indicate entusiasm and your biggest enemy as a reviewer is the fact that tone/emotion doesn't always come through in writing.

Now, as a writer, I'm always open to people pointing out typos or offering other constructive criticism so long as it's presented in a positive manner. In-depth reviews are awesome. Don't get me wrong, all reviews are great, but those people who take the time to write more than "loved it" are a breed unto themselves.

But as a writer the last thing I want to hear is "your story sucks becasue character x and y could never be together!" Or "you should have written this pairing." Or "you should have focused on this character."

Things that are that reader's personal opinion and nothing else are not at all constructive. If the only thing someone hates about my fic is a choice I made in focusing on character x, y, or z and that choice makes it impossible for them to read it, the best thing they can do is quietly move along. Writers make the choices they make and that's that; no one has the right to tell them it's "wrong."

That said, I have had people express their dislike/hesitation over a pairing in my fic in a very respectable, honest, non-flame way and that is perfectly a-okay. Almost every time it opened the door for a conversation and most of them came around to, if not accepting/liking it, at least tolerating it.

So, to sum up. If the only thing you don't like comes down to personal choices made by the writer regarding plot/character and has nothing to do with writing problems, there's really not much to say. You can dislike it till the sun don't shine but no writer is going to change their mind. So the only reason to mention it in a review (in a respectful manner) is if you're open to a possible discussion with the writer about those decisions. And if you're not it is, in my opinion, better to say nothing at all.

Comment

I think there is a difference as others have said in writing a review that provides feedback (either positive or negative) and one that is simply insulting.

It's fine not to like the direction of a story or the content of the story but it's the way that is expressed and the intent of making the comment that will determine whether it is insulting or not.

If your intent is to try and change the writer's mind on writing a particular pairing then quite frankly you're probably not going to achieve this by leaving reviews stating that you were unhappy with the pairing (especially if it was warned for in the author's note or summary). So, while I don't think a politely worded 'not really into Sam/Thor' is all that insulting, I just think what's the point? I have had reviewers approach through email/PMs asking me in a polite way to write a pairing (something along the lines of 'love your writing; any chance you could do a Sam/Daniel story?') and that kind of approach I've always appreciated (it's nice to know they like my writing enough to ask for a story) even if I've always declined to do it.

If your intent is to simply give a more rounded review of the story, such as 'loved the way you had the team escape in the puddlejumper but the moment where Teyla kissed Lorne in front of Sheppard didn't ring true to me as I don't think it was in-character' is probably fine. A 'Teyla kissed Lorne? YUCK! I won't read this anymore!' on the other hand is just very unconstructive and again why bother?

No writer truly minds constructive feedback - it helps us learn and improve. We may grimace initially because no-one likes getting something they perceive as negative but ultimately it's very useful.

I rarely review but when I do and I have a lot of constructive points, I usually PM or email the writer rather than leave a public review. That way they get the feedback but can process it without the sense of being criticised publically.
          sigpic
          Women of the Gate LJ Community.
          My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Working...
          X