This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aragon's Season 5 Torme... uhh... i mean...! Reviews! :D

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way generalizing these episodes. I am stating my opinion and if you agree with it, great, if you don't, great.

As many of you know, i'm not a fan of Season 5.

XVardaX made a comment about not forming an opinion without watching it. Personally, i can tell i'm not going to enjoy the season by simply reading the synopsis of the episodes. I've also read transcripts and detailed synopsis. While i'm sure there are parts i'll enjoy, it's like standing in line for a ferris wheel. 2 hours of waiting for 10 minutes of awesome.

However, her argument is not without merit... so i've decided to bite the bullet and watch the Episodes I haven't seen yet.

We'll start with...

GHOST IN THE MACHINE:

Alright, pop the DVD in... *click play*

Hmmm i like the whole introduction. the geniune tension in the Jumper is nice.

Rodney and Radek's back and forth is hilarious! Like an old married couple!

Woolsey's misadventure to the east pier is... well it's comic relief i'm not sure i enjoy. One would think the leader of hte Atlantis Expedition is intelligent and can hold respect. Elizabeth did it, Sam did it. Why not Woolsey? Just because Bob Picardo's a comedian doesn't mean his character has to be.

The tension as the computer scribbles is awesome. very nice musical cues as well. So far the episode is actually turning out quite well except for a missing Ronon and Teyla.

Ahhh there's the Woolsey i wanted to see. "We can't dial Earth!?" Total beaurocrat.

Once they get the computers all hooked up and Weir talking the obvious angst level shoots sky high. Although i think they hammered the Shweir a little too hard with the "Is John Sheppard there?" Oh well, it's believable.

Just a question, has anyone noticed Teyla and Ronon are NOT command staff of Atlantis? Why are they helping in the decision of what to do? Just wallpaper alas...

I like how Rodney takes responsibility for Weir being a replicator. it's a huge departure from his character in season 1, and it shows great character development and growth... unlike some of the others alas. Ronon can't trust it at all, and Sheppard's the typical "Just bury it" kinda guy. Teyla talking to Weir seems to me to be an obvious "Oh we're killing the Sheyla just so there's no confusion anymore"

When teh other replicators come, i find it hard to believe that Woolsey would be able to bluff like that... UNLESS. Unless he shows that he learned it from someone else. Someone like Weir back with Anubis or Sam with teh Wraith above Atlantis. Yet they make no mention of this and his growth seems... unsubstantiated. A very good scene nonetheless and you can see the nervousness on his face.

they kinda show Weir to be a weaker character than she used to be. Allowing herself to be manipulated and then blatantly lying to Atlantis seems quite OOC for her. My only logical conclusion would be that being in Subspace has driven her insane... but they don't play that angle.

Soldier John is hardcore. "Shoot them.. alot... they'll go down eventually." AWESOME.

Okay, here's an obvious bone to pick. Weir doesn't LIKE Woolsey. Why does she think he'd be a good leader? Tossed in purely to make sure her character doesn't create unneeded drama and to focus on her "sacrifice" which i'll state, is about as logical as a meek McKay. The replicators are still floating out there in space, anyone can go pick them up and then... WHAMMO. more Replicators. So they just leave her out there and morne that they've let a friend of theirs freeze to stasis?

A great concept of an episode, but the ending has sorely made me groan at the unlikelyhood. The massive plot hole actually outweighs the solidity of the rest of the episode IMO!

honestly, a McKay/Sheppard episode. hardly any Ronon other than "I Don't trust her." and Teyla going "I'm not sleeping with John."

on a scale of 1-10, the first 50 minutes i give 7, the ending i give 3.

I'll watch another episode most likely tommorow. Probably "The Shrine"

[QUOTE=Aragon101/Loneranger-1;10456862]

[QUOTE]

stargate eps go longer than 50 mins! when did i miss this....also i LOVED ghost in the machine. i love all the episodes regardless of their content.

Comment

[quote=escyos;10456973][quote=Aragon101/Loneranger-1;10456862]

stargate eps go longer than 50 mins! when did i miss this....also i LOVED ghost in the machine. i love all the episodes regardless of their content.
      Argh,... 30 something minutes Can you blame me fore being a little incoherent after that ending?

i do agree with you though, this episode was quite good except for the glaring plot holes.

Comment

what plot holes?

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          what plot holes?
          What happened to their Aurora? Were 8 Replicators the entirety of the ones following her? What's keeping them from going to retrieve Weir? All it would take is a jumper to go pick her up like they did Niam. Why is Elizabeth acting so OOC? Is she insane? Is she not Weir?

Lots of questions, yet alas, they left the answers floating in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101/Loneranger-1 View Post
            What happened to their Aurora? Were 8 Replicators the entirety of the ones following her? What's keeping them from going to retrieve Weir? All it would take is a jumper to go pick her up like they did Niam. Why is Elizabeth acting so OOC? Is she insane? Is she not Weir?

i assumed they destroyed it so no one else could have it.
            there were only those 8 replicators left
            they cant trust that she is weir, so they cant go and pick her up, they cant trust her.
            she acting OOC because she is played by a different actor....and shes a replicator, she would think differently
            there not really plot holes, just little side bits

Comment

i assumed they destroyed it so no one else could have it.
              there were only those 8 replicators left
              they cant trust that she is weir, so they cant go and pick her up, they cant trust her.
              she acting OOC because she is played by a different actor....and shes a replicator, she would think differently
              there not really plot holes, just little side bits
              1. That's an assumtion
              2. Again, Assumption
              3. But the others are frozen, not in digital ascension. They could pick her up and create an organic clone. I would have loved to see a continuation of this episode in a later episode. Also, if they're so scared of the replicators, Why not go destroy them to ensure no nanites survive?
              4. when i say OOC, i mean her actions in general, lying to Atlantis about leading the replicators there being the biggest one. I can almost believe she's gone insane but again, they didn't say that.

That's significant enough that it detracted from my final enjoyment of the episode. I want my questions resolved. Is that too much to ask?

W/E in the end i liked the episode more than i disliked it, but the questions left unanswered simply make me sigh.

Tomorrow i'll give my review of The Shrine.... oh joy! [/sarcasm]

Comment

all episodes go for 40-45mins
                Tst

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
                  all episodes go for 40-45mins
                  Oh for crying out...

I misspoke. What i meant was the last 10 minutes were weaker IMO as it tied up the loose ends... well loosely. A sailor would weep over how loose those ends were tied.

anyways, onto the next episode.

THE SHRINE:

I will only make mention of McKeller twice in this review. I do this to be objective. Also this review is mainly notes i took while watching the episode.

The start of the episode is very sad and powerful. Not what i was expecting. When it goes back and explains about the Watergate and all it was a very nice touch. Rodney's doomed flu of hypochondria was nice. Teyla actually does something! She checks his temperature! Wee!
                  Sheppard and Woolsey have a nice little animosity going. Shep is standing up to Woolsey yet at the same time agreeing with some of his recommendations. very nice

McKeller mention number 1… That’s it? They both AGREE that all they had was one drink? What happened to the whole falling in love bit? And Rodney goes all Don Juan for because of the Parasite? So basically it’s saying that too much brain power makes you awkward. In a way I can actually believe this, as thinking too much while trying to be social is the surest way to fail.
                  OMG! Ronon! He speaks! He shows his friendship to Rodney! OMG! I love that! and his ire towards Woolsey is perfect!

Woolsey’s story is kinda… I dunno... it's sort of what i expect from him with the disbelief and all but... Hmm...
                  The whole Keller doesn't want him to go just feels awkward. while i can understand her wanting to keep him under observations, it still feels awkward to me the whole "i was taken in by the nicer Rodney McKay" bit she says.

YES! The McKay Sheppard bond is AWESOME. Feels like they’ve been friends for a LONG time.... where's the Ronon and Teyla parts? Aren't they friends with him too for years?

Rodney’s videos are pretty heartwrenching. David Hewlett does great acting and this is amazing.

The concept of radiation bothering the Parasite is nice, though it feels odd for it to simply recede. you'd think it would want to feed more as it is weakening.

Ronon might be the guy who talked about Talus, but in the end neither he nor Teyla get more than just standing there and looking pretty. Sheppard has his usual “Come on! Don’t give up!” bit and his friendship with Rodney was awesome.
                  The surgery in the cave with less than finesse tools was a pretty edgy part, and while i liked it, i can see Vietcong Medics going "Wow, they're crazy."
                  There's a half hearted Ronon/Keller moment when he shoots the parasite... but compared to the Rodney.Keller moment at the end it's just... ay... How does Rodney go from almost marrying Katie in Quarantine, having one beer with her in Trio, to loving her for some time now in The Shrine? How long is some time? a week? a month? There wasn't that much time between Trio and Shrine so what made him fall in love with her other than looks and beer goggles?

If i ignore the awkward McKeller moments, i give this episode a 7 out of ten. The missing three points are the lack of Teyla and Ronon friendship beyond knowing about the Shrine.

Comment

None of those are plot holes.
                    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

when you pick at the little bits you just ruin the episode...unless something big happens like suddenly mckay became a chick for no apparent reason, then pick at it. little things like what happened to the aurora ship, just accept that its gone and move on

Comment

when you pick at the little bits you just ruin the episode...unless something big happens like suddenly mckay became a chick for no apparent reason, then pick at it. little things like what happened to the aurora ship, just accept that its gone and move on
                        I can nitpick it if i want to. You don't have to reply to this. I'm not ATTACKING SGA, i'm simply pointing out obvious questions that i would have preferred get answered instead of left in obscurity.

Did i enjoy the episode as a whole? YES! Am i allowed to ask questions? YES!

See the disclaimer at teh top of the thread? I make it clear these are MY opinions. and my opinions they shall remain.

Comment

I can nitpick it if i want to. You don't have to reply to this. I'm not ATTACKING SGA, i'm simply pointing out obvious questions that i would have preferred get answered instead of left in obscurity.

See the disclaimer at teh top of the thread? I make it clear these are MY opinions. and my opinions they shall remain.
                          that wasnt a personal attack on you. im just saying look at it from a the writers point of view, leaving things open like that means they have more material for when they run otu of new stuff.

Comment

*sarcasm* Don't you KNOW you CAN'T HAVE an opinion???

If you DARE say any thing that goes against what others think, you have to spend the next nine posts reminding the other people that it is YOUR opinion, and they don't have to like it, just agree that it is YOUR opinion! Then you almost feel gracious you get to have an opinion!
                            Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

lol What are you doing? It doesn't matter if there's a disclaimer or not. If you post something there's a chance it may get a response. You don't have to kick and fuss about it being your opinion... we already know that.
                              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Working...
                              X