PDA

View Full Version : Your choice - you can save one and cancel the other: Doctor Who Vs Torchwood

Flyboy
July 29th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Which would you save and why?

DigiFluid
July 29th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Uh, Doctor Who no question. It's the better show, it's been around forever, and I don't want to imagine a world without such an essential staple of science fiction.

Torchwood is good and all, but it didn't find its feet until the second half of its second series, and after a great third series it seems as good a time as any to finish it.

huntress
July 31st, 2009, 10:34 AM
The Doctor. Didn't even need to use any brain power for that decision. Torchwood would need a serious retcon that isn't going to happen. I am not going to touch that show with a ten foot pole any more. Also in the case of the doctor a retcon is fairly simple. Just kill the doctor and get a new better one. Also the doctor is an cultural icon and ....well he is THE DOCTOR.

If Torchwood is coming back BTW I ain't gonna watch -_-

Killdeer
July 31st, 2009, 10:40 AM
Definitely Doctor Who. When I finally got around to trying the show, I was hooked almost immediately. I loved both CE and DT as the Doctor, and I think I'm one of the few people I know who enjoyed all three companions.

I tried TW twice, starting with S1, then skipping ahead to S2 when someone told me it got better then. But I just couldn't get into it, and some of the characters actively annoyed me (Jack & Gwen). I was thinking about maybe trying again with CoE, but after hearing how that went, not so much. Not really my style of show.

The_Carpenter
July 31st, 2009, 12:06 PM
I love Torchwood even Children of Earth, but it just isn't Doctor Who so save the Doctor :D

P-90_177
August 4th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Always gotta be The Doctor. He is a British institution.

Reefgirl
August 17th, 2009, 04:20 AM

Dr Who because it's just plain better, Torchwood was ok but it just never lived up to the hype

Andron
August 17th, 2009, 04:44 AM
No question, Doctor Who!

I did like Children of the Earth, but you can't really compare it to the adventures of the Doctor.

Zarius
August 21st, 2009, 04:01 AM

DW is a national institution and a worldwide success. This shouldnt eveb be an option.

SJA and TW would be better

If Torchwood is coming back BTW I ain't gonna watch -_-

Why? Just because a bunch of overrated tea-sippers and ciphers are dead? The only character I want given a second chance is Tosh, but I can certaingly enjoy the first three seasons and move forward. I hate this attitude people have to not embracing change. It irks me.

Ashizuri
August 21st, 2009, 08:40 AM
Dr. Who. No question. And I've only ever seen 2 episodes of new-Who, but those 2 episodes were so far above anything TW has ever done (including CoE).

Why? Just because a bunch of overrated tea-sippers and ciphers are dead? The only character I want given a second chance is Tosh, but I can certaingly enjoy the first three seasons and move forward. I hate this attitude people have to not embracing change. It irks me.

Hard as it is to believe, some people didn't like CoE, and lots of people didn't like it for reasons that have very little to do with Ianto's death. I personally watched TW for the camp and cheese and the rediculous overacting, not the srs bsns that the new series was. TW was my bad sci-fi guilty pleasure.

Flyboy
August 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
DW is a national institution and a worldwide success. This shouldnt eveb be an option.

SJA and TW would be better

Ok... realistically - I mean Doctor Who in it's current format, the style and set up. You know?

JadedWraith
August 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
I'd probably save Doctor Who just because it's the series I am more familiar with, although I watched Torchwwod eppies before the Doctor's ones. And watching the Doctor made understand T. better, logically.

Duckey
August 21st, 2009, 09:35 PM
In the end, I have to say Doctor who. It's a cultural institution, and the charming energy of the Doctor is fantastic. If I hadn't just seen Children of Earth, I would say it was an easy choice to go with the doctor. Following Children of Earth, however, its a lot more difficult.

Torchwood was good but never really fit in seasons 1-2. It felt like they were trying too hard to be an adult Dr. Who and be profoundly serious (Not that Dr. Who dosen't get serious, but its no Galactica) while retaining the campiness. But Children of Earth made Torchwood something different, something wonderful. It's even more removed from Dr. Who, but that's a good thing in my book. It was a powerful work of art, full of profound sadness and yet also hope. I wasn't expecting something so powerful,and it really threw me for a loop. I wasn't the same all week. It punched me in the heart, which is a GOOD thing. I could blab with praise for it all day, but you get the idea :).

I think Children of Earth beats ANYTHING Dr. Who has put out so far (and trust me, I LOVE Dr. Who). That said, there simply isn't the longevity, cultural awareness, or fun energy of Dr. Who in Torchwood (What happens when John Barrowman starts aging? It's not Torchwood without Jack, I don't want to watch the Gwen Cooper Show).

But I really hope both continue for many years to come!

Colonel Rebel
September 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I'd have to say Doctor Who. It can go on for a long time, the concept of regeneration is brilliant. And the Doctor is one of the greatest sci-fi characters ever created.Torchwood is great too, but I'd have to pick Doctor Who.

Gate Rider
September 29th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Doctor Who.

I like the premise of Torchwood, but it's to darn depressing to watch! Captain Jack is one of my favorite characters on DW, but everytime I watch TW I end up regretting it.

Replicator Todd
October 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Doctor Who....without it Torchwood wouldnt even exsist! TW is nice, but Who is full of much more twists and turns, TW can be very dull and ridiculous.

VashtaNeradaInTheBooks
October 4th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Doctor Who to be saved!! *Whoop, whoop!*
Plus, is it not a trick question? Without the Doctor there would be no Torchwood!
Anyway - for the comparison.
Torchwood doesn't have as good enemies. Sure, Jack is hot, And Ianto is hot, but the enemies are mostly weevils, or small time problems which, sure, they do kill a few welsh people, but aren't as cool (or dangerous) as DW enemies. *No offence to the good people of Wales.*
Also, all the Torchwood plots are remarkably similar, with a few exceptions like Rhys discovering the cash cow, the Susie/Gwen Round 2 drama (Which is almost copied with the Owen/Team drama.)
Aaand Doctor Who rocks.
However, SJA vs DW? SJA every time, I'm afraid.
Luke and Mr Smith are my favourite characters ever :)

creed462
October 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Doctor who of course, Better show longer history.
Torhwood has always seem a little to childish to me

knowles2
October 26th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Doctor Who,

But with a few changes to Torchwood, mainly turning them meaner, greener and angrier than they under Jack leadership. Well may be not greener. It would certainly get my vote if they made those changes. Torchwood was far to nice an gentle in the current incarnation.

The Prophet
October 26th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Doctor Who. It's virtually the only show where time-travel is a staple element to the plot, and I love that.

Torchwood is the same sci-fi material as always, it has many substitutes.

Col.Foley
October 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Doctor Who I think is the obvious answer to me:
Torchwood has: COE Spoilers
just recently killed off a majority of its cast, leaving only Gwenn, Jack, and Reese. THis does not make for very good entertainment unless substitutes can be found...and that is unlikely because its 'Team Torchwood' and it is not very likely that they can just steal a bum off the street and have him replaced.

Plus Doctor Who has been around longer, and it is going to be a lot more interesting.
To see how the show progresses with a new Doctor.

kaliel
November 21st, 2009, 03:21 AM
I'd axe Torchwood.

I love the show, I really do. But it went on a steady downhill slide, beginning at the start of season 2. Were it possible to erase everything after S1 and retry, it could be something brilliant.

But... still not brilliant enough to compete with Doctor Who, which I've loved and watched since I was in primary school and obsessed with T. Baker's Doctor.

Sealurk
November 22nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
Much as I love Torchwood, I'd save Who. It has much more scope, more potential, more variety - and Torchwood can't easily visit other worlds or different eras. More importantly, Torchwood doesn't have a TARDIS.

But most significantly, I wouldn't want to be the guy responsible for axing Doctor Who. I'm allergic to death threats.

Aliza
November 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
I think from the get go, Torchwood was not meant to last "forever" in the same way that Doctor Who has. It was meant to tell one story (about a group of people who live in Britain and chase aliens, and how it affects their lves, and also about what Jack is supposed to do now that he can live forever) and just the one, where Doctor Who can tell thousands of stories. I think that they should just end it with how it ended in CoE with:

Jack jumping planet, Gwen about to live happily ever after with her husband and baby, and with everyone else dead.

Pitry
November 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Save Doctor Who.

I love Torchwood, I really do. But it's going to run its course one day. I don't think it has already - it can definitely go on, and hopefully will, even after CoE.
But at some point. Like Stargate, really. Yes, I love season 9, but I still would have given it up for SG1 to properly end at season 8.

Doctor who, however, reinvents itself every couple of years. It has the potential to do anything because it's not confused to Earth or space travel or any time or place - which also allows it to confine itself for short period of time to anything. Hell, there's no reason there can't be 3 years of the Doctor working on Earth with UNIT Torchwood, if all fails :)

Matt G
December 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM
Torchwood, CoE aside is just a decent way to burn an hour. Who no questions asked.