This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard weights-Starships

I'm looking for the actual tonnage of the X-303 Prometheus and the BC-304 Daedalus class ships, does anyone know what they are. I've googled my fingers off, and can only find sizes, but not weights?
    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
    sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

if you can find sizes, maybe you can calculate a rough estimate using a rough volume you got from the sizes and the mass density from let's say steel

you'd be off some tons but it would give you a good indication
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total b*stard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

Comment

The data in the Official Stargate Mag/DVD Collection puts the 303 at 1.5 million Kg and the 304 at 1.5 million metric tons.

Although that would make the 304 1000 times heavier than the 303 (in an equal strength gravitational field) which doesn't seem right at all. It could be a typo putting them as near as makes no difference at equal in mass however. This could be possible as the Asgard would likely have given Earth access to stronger but lighter materials for use in the construction of the 304s, allowing them to be larger than the 303s without being 'heavier'.

Anyway, that's the info that I have, I'll leave it up to you whether you trust it to be correct or not.
      sigpic

Comment

It might be a typo, the 303 is 195m X 80 X 65.
        The 304 is 225m X 95m X 75.
        Thanks to you both, I'll hang on a bit and see if there's anymore replies. I did see a spec on the 304 somewhere, which did list the wgts, but I can't seem to find it anymore.
        Thanks again.

Comment

An Iowa class battleship is 45,000 tons. A 304 isn't that heavy.

Comment

Yes and the Nimitz CVN's go from 90 -105,000 tonne, how heavy can a "Space Battle Cruiser" be? I think it was a typo!

Comment

1.5 millon kilograms is a looooong way from 1.5 million metric tons...

An Iowa Class BB displaces 57,000 "long" tons fully armed and loaded, and that is the "weight" of the ship. So 57,000 for an Iowa = 57,914,674 kilograms, or 57,915 metric tons. Based on a number like that, I would favor the 1.5 million kilograms for Prometheus/303 as a more realistic number than the 1.5 million metric tons for a 304.

1.5 million metric tons would be the "weight" of around 260 Iowa-class battleships...maybe in the right ballpark for Atlantis, but not a 304. On the other hand, at 1.5 million kilograms, it would take 38 303s to equal the "weight" of an Iowa-class. Given that spacecraft of any sort are likely to be significantly less massive than non-spacefaring WW2 naval vessels with several feet of armor, this seems more likely. For comparison, since we're using it, an Iowa-class is 271m x 33m.

Based on this, IMHO, neither figure seems entirely accurate (as quoted for 303 and 304), but the weight quoted for the 303 is closer to the realm of possibility, especially if a lot of lightweight alloys were used in its construction. We could also speculate that Earth-based ships in Stargate use some form of "mass reduction" technology - perhaps a side-effect of artificial gravity - while in an atmosphere, and that the 1.5 million kg figure takes that into account.

Comment

a 303 and a 304 weigh nothing...they are computer simulations

Comment

Originally posted by TrueLordOfNetu View Post
                  The data in the Official Stargate Mag/DVD Collection puts the 303 at 1.5 million Kg and the 304 at 1.5 million metric tons.

Although that would make the 304 1000 times heavier than the 303 (in an equal strength gravitational field) which doesn't seem right at all. It could be a typo putting them as near as makes no difference at equal in mass however. This could be possible as the Asgard would likely have given Earth access to stronger but lighter materials for use in the construction of the 304s, allowing them to be larger than the 303s without being 'heavier'.

Anyway, that's the info that I have, I'll leave it up to you whether you trust it to be correct or not.
                  1.5 e6 kg, that's 1500 tons. It's obviously wrong.
                  1.5 e6 tonnes is a bit excessive. I'd have said many hundreds of thousands of tonnes.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Following Hjalmar's advice I did a calculation based on mass, but not materials. Using steel construction and typical 1950-1960's CVA's as a guide, I estimate that a 303 would be around 18 to 22,000 tonne. A 304 would most likely be somewhere near 30 to 35,000 tonne.
                    Now if we're using super alloy's, that figure for each, would probably be reduced by at least 30%. These are dry (empty) weights only.

Comment

Just keep in mind that any calculations you do need to be done with the idea in mind that a 303 and 304 are made with a trinium alloy. That metal apparently being lighter than any metals we have on earth so whatever you come up with would probably be a little more than would neccesarily be true within the show.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        Just keep in mind that any calculations you do need to be done with the idea in mind that a 303 and 304 are made with a trinium alloy. That metal apparently being lighter than any metals we have on earth so whatever you come up with would probably be a little more than would neccesarily be true within the show.
                        Good point. There is a mention at some time during SG1, that trinium is about half the weight of Titanium, yet I think Sam Carter say's it is five times stronger. Mmmm, going to be very light ships indeed, compared to overall mass.

Comment

So let's say the 303 is 22,000 tonne in steel, less 30% for Titanium = 15,400 tonne, divided by two for Trinium, = 7,700 tonne. Anyone got a problem with that for a ship 195 mtrs long by 80 wide, by 65 deep?

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                            Following Hjalmar's advice I did a calculation based on mass, but not materials. Using steel construction and typical 1950-1960's CVA's as a guide, I estimate that a 303 would be around 18 to 22,000 tonne. A 304 would most likely be somewhere near 30 to 35,000 tonne.
                            Now if we're using super alloy's, that figure for each, would probably be reduced by at least 30%. These are dry (empty) weights only.
                            USS Nimitz, at full load, displaces 101,000 long tons. That's 102,620 tonnes (or metric tons). That ship is 332.8 meters long, and 76.8 meters wide if you take the platform, which is certainly not the bulkiest part of the ship (the waterline width is obviously inferior).

A more than 540 meters long 304 is ought to weigh more, especially with the added armour plating (although it largely uses trinium, that's lighter than steel, but 100 times stronger).

That's why a roughly 680-700 meters wide Ha'tak, a fairly massive lump of metal and naqahdah, although it has a hole in its pyramidal core, is largely ought to weigh around one million tonnes or quite more, since even if the core is hollowed out, the black scaffolding part of the structure is bulky and the whole portion of the naqahdah shall make this baby very heavy in reality.
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Sorry Oraghan,

The 304 is 225m X 95m X 75.

That's from the official Stargate website.

Comment

Working...
                              X