• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi Channel's "Outer Limits" Marathon - Memorial Day

From the SciFi Channel's Specials:

http://www.scifi.com/onair/specials/

THE OUTER LIMITS MEMORIAL DAY MARATHON

The provocative, modern-day anthology series, reviving the classic 1960s show of the same name, earned numerous Emmy, CableACE, Gemini and Saturn awards throughout its seven-year run. Each episode is a celebration of the imagination, in which humanity's exploration of new frontiers in technology, outer space and the human experience reveal our greatest hopes and darkest fears. The 10 episodes in our Memorial Day Marathon — including "Double Helix" and its sequel, "The Origin of Species" — explore the consequences of such controversial and thought-provoking topics as genetic manipulation, alien visitation and life after death. The stars and directors include Kirsten Dunst (Spider-Man), Kim Cattrall (Sex and the City), Mario Van Peebles (Solo, TV's L.A. Law), Jennifer Beals (Flashdance), Burt Young (Rocky),and Stargate SG-1's Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping and Teryl Rothery.

Airs Monday, May 31, from 8AM – 6PM ET/PT

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Here's the line up (including SG-1 cast or guest stars):

8:00 am The Outer Limits Marathon Double Helix -- Directed by: Mario Azzopardi (who directed several SG-1 episodes), Written by: Jonathan Glassner, Stars: William de Vry (Aldwin) and Kirby Morrow (Tara’c)

9:00 am The Outer Limits Marathon Origin Of Species -- Directed by: Brad Turner (who directed several SG-1 episodes), Written by: Naren Shankar (formerly of Star Trek fame, now of CSI fame), Story by: Jonathan Glassner & Naren Shankar, Stars: William de Vry (Aldwin) and Kirby Morrow (Tara’c)

10:00 am The Outer Limits Marathon Bodies Of Evidence -- Directed by: Melvin Van Peebles, Written by: Chris Dickie, Stars: Gerard Plunkett (Nem and High Councillor Tuplo)

11:00 am The Outer Limits Marathon Tempests -- Directed by: Mario Azzopardi, Written by: Hart Hanson (who wrote "The Nox"), Stars: Marie Stillin (High Chancellor Travell)

12:00 pm The Outer Limits Marathon Music Of The Spheres -- Directed by: David Warry Smith (who has directed several SG-1 episodes), Written by: S. Barnes, Stars:

1:00 pm The Outer Limits Marathon The Deprogrammers -- Directed by: Joseph Scanlan, Written by: James Crocker, Stars: Brent Spiner and Vincent Hammond (usually portrays an Unas)

2:00 pm The Outer Limits Marathon Re-Generations -- Directed by: Brenton Spencer, Written by: Tom J. Astle (wrote Cor-Ai), Stars: Teryl Rothery

3:00 pm The Outer Limits Marathon Trial By Fire -- Directed by: Jonathan Glassner, Written by: Brad Wright, Stars: Teryl Rothery, Lawrence Dane (Gen. Bauer), Robert Foxworth (Chairman Ashwan), Jason Gray-Stanford (Orner), Bruce Harwood (Dr. Osbourne), Ian Tracey (Smith), Dale Wilson (Committee Member)

4:00 pm The Outer Limits Marathon The Joining -- Directed by: Brad Turner, Written by: Sam Egan (who wrote "Touchstone"), Stars: Amanda Tapping,, Jim Byrnes, Alvin Sanders (Fred)

Photo of Amanda Tapping as Kate Girard:

http://www.theouterlimits.com/episod...ages/join2.jpg

5:00 pm The Outer Limits Marathon Mary 25 -- Directed by: James Head
    Written by: Jonathan Glassner, Stars: Michael Shanks, Tom Butler (Major General Trofsky)

Cast photos:

http://www.theouterlimits.com/episodes/season4/414.htm

http://www.theouterlimits.com/episod...ages/mary1.jpg

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

OT but not worth a thread of its own: What is Memorial Day?

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
      OT but not worth a thread of its own: What is Memorial Day?
      Memorial Day is officially on May 30th, but is now celebrated on the last Monday in May.

It is an American holiday intended to honor those who have given their lives in service to their country, and was begun shortly after the US Civil War in 1868.

One of the most moving Memorial Day stories I can remember involves a family in The Netherlands, who watched after a grave of a US Serviceman that was on their property. It became a matter of family pride to be allowed to look after the grave. Years went by, and the family wondered why the grave was never moved to an official US Military Cemetary. The family contacted their local government, but things remained the same.

Finally, many, many, many years later (we're talking almost 50), one of the grandchildren contacted a US Government official, and finally an official Graves Registration Team came. They identified the serviceman, and in turn, contacted the serviceman's family, who still had living siblings.

This was reported by Tom Brokaw on the NBC Nightly News almost ten years ago, and I've always remembered this story about Memorial Day.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Very cool story. Thanks for that morjana!

Comment

Thanks, that's a nice story. We have a similar day (Remembrance Day) in November that is either the 11th Nov or the closest Sunday. People wear paper poppies in their buttonholes and keep a minute's silence at 11am.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
            We have a similar day (Remembrance Day) in November that is either the 11th Nov or the closest Sunday. People wear paper poppies in their buttonholes and keep a minute's silence at 11am.
            It's a holiday in the U.S. too. It's more often called Veterans Day, but also Remembrance Day.
            Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Working...
            X