Insurrection not so bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurrection not so bad?

I've heard a lot of hate against Insurrection, I'm just curious as to why this may be. Sure it's not as action packed as First Contact, but for what it is, I think it's great. It's a nice, light hearted movie that doesnt try to hard to be big and epic, but makes you feel good at the end.

Thoughts?

I don't hate Insurrection and no I don't think it's the worst Star Trek movie, but it is my least favorite. To me it seemed overly preachy and dull, it just didn't work as a movie and it wouldn't have made one of my favorite two-parters either. Some of the dialogue was pretty bad (the Troi/Crusher/Data/Worf scene comes to mind), and the space scenes seemed pretty cartoonish a few times in this one. On the plus side, I loved the music and there were a few nice comic scenes, and overall one part of the movie doesn't seem "way worse" than another part. I think it would have made a pretty decent TNG two-parter. So, really I just thought the movie was pretty mediocre and isn't too memorable imo.

Bottom line- After great action in First Contact, just "ok" action is a disappointment. Some of the other films (I'm thinking of The Motion Picture) work very well on a philosophical level, but this one was too simple and preachy. There wasn't much internal conflict about Picard's decision to help the villagers, he just did it. In the better Trek movies the characters are usually questioning themselves and struggling with themselves, like in The Wrath of Khan (not obvious, but it's there), The Undiscovered Country, and First Contact. It is "ok" at least, and I enjoyed it overall.
    Last edited by A_PophisandhisFran; 20 July 2009, 07:59 AM.
    "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
    "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

I agree.

Insurrection is largely a lot of fun if you go in expecting an episode on a larger canvas, rather than a monumental film.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well, action packed does not automatically = amazing. I love Undiscovered Country and Voyage Home and they're pretty much not action packed.

After First Contact, I guess people expected to be "blown away" again. What they got was an average big budget episode of the TV series. The issues that were brought up were definitely not big enough for a film.

I felt like Dougherty was right (even though he's on the side of the "bad guys": the Son'a). It IS only 600 people. Think of how many more could benefit from this 'fountain of youth'.

It's an alright movie that has it's fun moments. It's not BAD like Final Frontier or insulting like Nemesis, it's just... alright.
        sigpic
        "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
        DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Insurrection wasn't that bad...
          It was a good TV movie but it wasn't worth the trip to the big screen.

Nemesis was bad.
          I agree with the man above me

Comment

True, I never saw it in theatres, I only saw it on TV, so it felt different than it would have had I gone to see it.

And I agree, the music is exceptional, definatley worth a few pounds on Itunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
              I felt like Dougherty was right (even though he's on the side of the "bad guys": the Son'a). It IS only 600 people. Think of how many more could benefit from this 'fountain of youth'.

Methinks you missed the point.... At what point in history has it ever been okay for an outside force to determine the fate of the locals, strictly to benefit itself?

It didn't work out particularly well for the Mayans, Aztecs, or Native North Americans; it didn't work out especially well for the entire continent of Africa; the carving up of the Middle East in the beginning of the last century hasn't had spectacular results; the colonialist domination of Indochina evolved into the Vietnam War; the colonialist domination of China has resulted in the PRC....

I could go on all day long, but the point isn't that it's a numbers game. The point is that the principle is wrong. It's never right to force a fate on someone else for your own gain.
              Last edited by DigiFluid; 20 July 2009, 10:34 AM.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Ah now see I actually really enjoy first contact. It does have some pretty good action scenes in it and I think it's very much in keeping with the sort of stories that were done in TNG....with the added bonus of seeing picard kicking ass again. Also the Picard/Data/Worf rendition of HMS Pinafore is just epic.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Methinks you missed the point.... At what point in history has it ever been okay for an outside force to determine the fate of the locals, strictly to benefit itself?
                  A wise man once said "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

Ahem, you make a good point, and I feel like parts of what they were doing were wrong (for one, not telling them and trying to 'trick' them into thinking nothing had changed).
                  sigpic
                  "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                  DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

i have never gotten it either. Insurecction is my favorite Trek movie
                    Thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
                      or insulting like Nemesis
                      Thank you! 'Bad' was never strong enough to describe how 'bad' 'Nemesis' was. It wasn't just bad, it was insulting.
                      I always thought that 'Insurrection' really was a bigger budget 2 parter. It wasn't bad but it certainly lacked importance, relevance and action. I was hoping for the Ent E to do something pivotal in the Dominion War that would feed into the then ongoing DS9 storyline. Oh sure, the Son'a were making the Founders' drug, but stopping them had no impact on the outcome of the war.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

It was just a stupid idea for a movie. They had the Dominion War going on at the same time and Starfleet sends their flagship on this stupid pointless mission that any ship could have done. They even talk about how the Federation is getting its butt kicked by the Dominion in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                          It was just a stupid idea for a movie. They had the Dominion War going on at the same time and Starfleet sends their flagship on this stupid pointless mission that any ship could have done. They even talk about how the Federation is getting its butt kicked by the Dominion in the movie.
                          But Picard and company have always been more of diplomats then the warrirors of the fleet. That was more what they did, instead of directly participating. And the mission they were on was not pointless, it was to gain another ally in the fight against the Dominion, and it was probably symbolic, to prove that the Federation could still do its job despite being involved in a major war.
                          And also, that first mission only took up about the first tem minutes of the movie. Cause then they went and broke orders to go after Data, who knows what they would have been assigned to do after they had gotten done with their current assignment?

Comment

Diplomat or not, Picard commanded the most powerful ship in the Federation. Considering the fact that Starfleet was desperate enough to send Miranda class ships to get blown up on the front lines, you'd think they would have sent the Enterprise to fight the Dominion.

Comment

But if they had done a story involving the Dominion war (something I believe was primarily a DS9 Storyline) the film would have been far less accessible to audiences.
                              The film took a break from the heavyness of the war to tell a lighter story.

Comment

Working...
                              X