PDA

View Full Version : The Seed Plot Hole

BassPlayer82
July 12th, 2009, 11:51 AM
At the end of Search and Rescue, Sam is off to Earth to witness the last Ba'al clone's execution. Since she assumes she's coming back to Atlantis, that would mean the execution is planned for a day or so after she gets to Earth. She steps foot on Earth and is immediately told she's been replaced by Woolsey.

Then, we assume, the events of Continuum happen.

Three weeks later, we learn in The Seed that Carter had returned to Earth infected with the Wraith Hive virus. Apparently the virus takes at least 3 weeks to show up. Carter is naturally detained until a cure can be found.

But wait a minute, did Continuum happen during those 3 weeks? If so, then an infected Carter went to the alternate Earth and lived for 6 months without showing symptoms.

Oops - I guess the writers missed that.

Possible solutions:
1. The execution happened after The Seed. But if it was scheduled 3+ weeks in advance, why did Carter go to Earth so early? Vacation? Does it take a long time to get to the Tok'ra planet? Was the execution delayed for some reason?
2. Carter was never infected. If this is the case, then the detaining during The Seed was just a precaution.
3. Carter was infected, went to the alternate Earth, but never showed symptoms. Again possible, but weird.

There's no easy fan wank for this, but I'm wondering if any of you know if this has been addressed or if any of you have a solution that makes sense.

jjit
July 13th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I think the execution happened after The Seed.
Because it was IOA's call, not Carter's.
IOA didn't care Carter would go to see last Ba'al clone or not.
They just want Woolsey replace Carter ASAP.
And Carter also can do some research on Earth or got a holiday(like Daniel which he used it on Atlantis) or something.

BassPlayer82
July 13th, 2009, 06:18 AM
So her reason for returning to Earth was to witness the execution, but the execution itself was planned for 3+ weeks in the future. Wouldn't she smell a rat?

CStads
July 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Possible solutions:
1. Was the execution delayed for some reason?
2. Carter was never infected. If this is the case, then the detaining during The Seed was just a precaution.

1. The execution could have been delayed because Carter was infected.

2. Maybe the trace naquadah in her system protected her from the infection? It could also have just kept the infection from being contagious and held the symptoms at bay indefinitely. You can always say it had no effect on patients with any level of symptoms. Easy excuse, and anyone on site would have still been infected.

BassPlayer82
July 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM
The problem with the delay theory is that they didn't know she was exposed until 3 weeks after she got to earth. So maybe she wasn't infected, maybe she wasn't immune, it's all possible.

Ultimately, I suspect the writers just made a mistake. It happens.

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Indeed ultimately just a writing disparity that 99% wont notice so this is 'no biggie' as they say. All speculation me thinks we can say now about this.

I wonder whether the Wraith Hive virus has a correlation with being around energy sources like in Atlantis. Perhaps Sam wasn't around enough 'potential' powersources to 'activate' the virus or the many other unique things Sam has going on. Maybe its a security thing anyway - with Teyla around, ex-Michael hybrids and Atlantis Medlab having how many wraith through it over the years might it all take is some wraith dna as a psuedo ATA. Would you want a part of you biological ship construction mechanism to fall into a non-wraith and let them grow a ship or parts thereoff to probe it for weaknesses? Yes I know our teams have got their hands on/in so many hives but just a thought.