This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Vs Trek

lets start a stargate vs. trek(all seasons/years) fight.. soem ppl must be trek fans but lets list the pros and cons of each show..

here are some pros

SG= our time, ausome stories, most theroies couldb e used if the sg existed ect. no UT, richard dean anderson and amanda tapping, aliens, politics,

Trek=kirk/picard,data, space ships, klingons, chessy stories, people who fly when they get shot at, scotty..lol,timetravel, ect..

somebody come up w/ soem others and we can compare.. or soemone start a diff thread w/ a diff show but i deff think sg can rival trek nyday
    dude

I can't say 'both are very different shows', well maybe i will, 'they are both very different shows'.
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

i am a big fan of both shows and each have their strong and weak points so i couldn't pick. i would probably say Stargate is better than 1 or 2 of series (like TOS and Voyager) but i wouldn't decide between Star Trek as a whole or Stargate

sigpic

Comment

Trek had a lot of good episodes, but they kept becoming obsessed with the holodeck, and, as a rule, episodes in the holodeck were a waste of time. As for Trek/Stargate, it's a difficult one. I think I'd say I enjoy Stargate more, and that with Stargate you can be much more certain of having a good espisode than with Trek. That said however, Stargate just doesn't (yet) have the innate respectability of Trek - when a new Trek comes out, it's always certain to be met with interest simply because it is Trek. Stargate doesn't have that yet.

On another note, I never understood why, if you liked Trek you got called a Trekkie (with negative connotations), yet you could be just as big or a bigger fan of Star Wars, and that was completely acceptable! Never made sense to me.
        sum ergo cogitum
        I am therefore I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Champos
          On another note, I never understood why, if you liked Trek you got called a Trekkie (with negative connotations), yet you could be just as big or a bigger fan of Star Wars, and that was completely acceptable! Never made sense to me.
          You know, it really used to bug me when people would call me a 'Trekkie' with a sneer like I was a complete loser. After a while I got tired of it and would say, "Yes, I'm a Trekkie." in a calm voice with a big smile and it would make them crazy! See, whatthey loved was my negative reaction to their 'put-down'. When I embraced it and seemed really happy about it, they lost the zing they got with feeling superior. I loved it.
          "You cannot reason with your own heart;
          it has it's own laws and beats about things
          which the intellect scorns."
          - Mark Twain -

Comment

To call myself a Trek fan may be a bit of a stretch, because the only series that I followed (and enjoyed as a whole) was The Next Generation. That being said, I think Trek had some of the best time-travel episodes in the Sci-fi genre -- the ones that ask "what if" and explore possibilities not yet considered. This year saw my slow warming up to Enterprise, yet I still tend to associate Trek with the infectious optimism that TNG embodied. In the same vein, Picard was my favorite Trek character. Not that I could personally identify with this ultimate Renaissance Man in any way, mind you. It just fills one with hope when envisioning the potentials humanity possesses. So, perhaps, it's not too much of a sweeping generalization to say that Trek tends to promote intellectual moralizing in its viewers.

SG-1, on the other hand, feels more "earthy" to me. It's not so much that the show lets people think less, rather it compels them to care more. Ever since the very beginning, the character drama and the various relationships have been capativating. I had little difficulty relating to the characters, at least in some capacity, most of the time and, consequently, found myself returning paimarily because of this emotional resonance. I think part of the reason lies in the show's proximity to our own time, but most importantly, it lies in the characters' endearing imperfections -- we see in them a little bit of ourselves and the people we know. Thus, when their innate nobility shines through, we are in a position to appreciate their sacrifices and, hence, the poignance in their stories. Kudos to TPTB for pulling this off and often in an understated way.
            Last edited by Liebestraume; 11 May 2004, 08:45 PM. Reason: Typo ... but I'm sure there are more :)
            In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

erm.. trek?
              The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

"I worship on the altar of Roddenberry"

"Stargate SG! wouldn't exist, as it is, without "Star Trek".

Actually, I refuse to choose. I'm greedy. I want both. So there!
                Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Even though I like Stargate better you HAVE to pay props to Trek for blazzing the way. The Original series and TNG were the best. Couldn't really get into DS9 or VOYAGER. So, I do like Stargate better, but really enjoy certain Trek series... Damn it Jim...

On a side note... I would buy the DVD's for some of the Star Trek series, but they are WAY over priced. A lot of folks I talk to would pay the 50 - 60 for the Stargate season set dvd's but not the 100-120 for the Trek season ones.

Comment

Both franchises have their place in Sci-fi history now and I love them both.

TNG and DS9 were great shows. I recommend DS9 to anyone that's never seen it. It was a fantastic show full of terrific characters and some of the best sci-fi television you'll ever see.

Enterprise has really taken off in it's third season. It deserves a fourth.
                    'Ask an impertinent question and you are on your way to a pertinent answer.'

Jacob Bronowski

Comment

Stargate: pros - too many to list so I'll just say RDA

cons - hmmmm.....needs more seasons

Star Trek: pros - cool aliens e.g. Klingons

cons - the new Enterprise series and the red shirt guys always dying
                      xXBekXx
                      Beware of the evil bunnie wabbits!
                      I'm not weird, I'm obscure!
                      Hello Kitty wocks!

Comment

I've been a longtime Trek fan, although it always seemed artificially slick and polished to me. Enterprise is a different story, much more gritty and real. That said, I think Stargate has better special effects in general, and better characters. They're more real and 3-dimensional. And the comedy on Stargate is much, much better. So I choose Stargate. BUT I'll always think Babylon 5 tops them both!

Comment

I'm a die-hard Trekkie going way back. The only show I didn't get into at all was DS9. Right now I love "Enterprise"--especially this season which has been terrific.

But I also love "Stargate" which I got into very late. At this point, though, I have all the DVDs up through season 6 and season 7 on tape. Love the show.

But I couldn't choose.

I want both.

Bucky

Comment

Trek put's forward some good points too like Voyager was a whole new concept for them trying to get home over the whole corse of the show that's why it's my fave out of the treks
                            But there's an aura around Stargate that just keeps you coming back for more

Comment

I love both series, so its hard to choose.

Star Trek had that 'smooth' feel to it, like no matter what, they'll find a way with the tech. That's one think I dislike; they change the polarity on a device and everythings happy.

SG-1 on the other hand, has the feel that it's taking place now. We don't have phasers (much to the displeasure of O'neill) and we are making mistakes.

In a nutshell both series deserve to be ranked together.
                              Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                              Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                              Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                              Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                              Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                              Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                              Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Working...
                              X