This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU characters we may grow to hate

I wasn't around for either the SG1 or SGA (well I was alive...you know what I mean) so I don't know what those character profiles contained pre-premiere BUT

It seems with what we know so far about SGU, there may be a couple of characters who we will genuinely dislike. This is different to SG1/SGA where the primary characters were our heroes so to speak.

For one Rush may turn out to be an outright evil little man with his devious shennanigans going on. He certainly has the potential to be not a very liked individual by fans.

Also I just watched the character profile on Chloe Armstrong and as attractive as she may be, she sounds like a spoilt little twit, one who fans may enjoy watching bad things happen to her.

I know in SG1/SGA there are characters people don't like for various reasons, but they were still written to be liked by the majority. I don't think this will be the case with SGU.

Thoughts, feelings or am I way off
    sigpic

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
    For one Rush may turn out to be an outright evil little man with his devious shennanigans going on. He certainly has the potential to be not a very liked individual by fans.
    I hope he's despicable! I love a well-written, loathsome character who is one of "our guys" - SG1 did that brilliantly (IMO) with Maybourne and Kinsey and many others, SGA did it brilliantly with Bates and Kavanaugh. The characters you love to hate.

Also I just watched the character profile on Chloe Armstrong and as attractive as she may be, she sounds like a spoilt little twit, one who fans may enjoy watching bad things happen to her.
    Chloe, I'm concerned about. As long as they don't turn her into a Mary Sue, she has the potential to be an interesting character who provides a different perspective, but if they start trying too hard to redeem her...
    sigpic

Comment

I agree re Chloe. If they write her consistent with the spoilt rich kid, she has the potential to be really annoying (but also interesting) but if she plays the damsel in distress thing too jmuch it will get old quick!
      sigpic

Comment

I
        It seems with what we know so far about SGU, there may be a couple of characters who we will genuinely dislike. This is different to SG1/SGA where the primary characters were our heroes so to speak.

This is probably true. I found it funny that he talked about (in his character profile) how TPTB wanted Robert Carlyle because he could make "the unlikeable, likeable"

His character fascinates me from everything we've heard so far, but I fully admit there will probably be times I don't like him.

I think it's no secret that I am eagerly anticipating the character of Chloe. I'm not sure why, but she seems to have the most potential for growth simply because she's the most "fish out of water" type, as the actress put it.

Still, the way the actress described the character made it seem like the situations of being trapped on the Destiny end up causing pretty dramatic changes in her.

I do agree, though, that I don't want her changes to take place too fast, though I really do want to see her grow and I don't think I'll ever not like her
        Sig by Pandora's Box
        sigpic

Comment

...she sounds like a spoilt little twit, one who fans may enjoy watching bad things happen to her.

I know in SG1/SGA there are characters people don't like for various reasons, but they were still written to be liked by the majority.
          I don't think this is really a bad thing, personally I've never been able to stand Mckay much. I think if I met him in real life the first thing I would do is punch him in the nose and scream at him to stop being such an arrogant, whiney, know-it-all, [insert preferred profanity]. (btw: I'm talking about the character, not Dave Hewlitt, obviously, I'd love to meet him in real life).

He does make me laugh though and I quickly grew to enjoy watching him, and yes, I do "enjoy watching bad things happen to [him]", but that just adds to the entertainment of the show (e.g. the episode where Rodney gets an arrow in the backside is hilarious).

If anything, I think it's better like that than the SG1 / Star Trek style "we are all perfect & flawless". I definitely prefer personality over perfection.

Comment

I hope Rush is similar to the antithesis of Ba'al. Same attitude, however, it's unknown he's evil.

Comment

If anyone over uses "We are not supposed to be here" or any version of it I may hate them

Comment

Rush is going to turn out to be one of my favorite characters even though he will be the opposite of me. Even if I won't agree with his actions, etc., his character will still be likable to me based on how he develops, etc.

I think I am gonna like ALL of the characters though. None seem 2D to me so far.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

I fear Ronald Greer will be the weakest link. The actor could hardly speak and his character seems to be a Teal'c-Ronon-Ford type man. I hope my opinion will change and the writers will use him wisely in the plot. I don't want to see any main character to stay in the background again.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I think Camille Wray has the most potential for us to hate, just simply because she's part of the IOA.

But Rush, I think Rush will likely be everyone's favorite character. Like Carlyle said in a Q&A, he was asked to play Rush because he's fantastic at making "unattractive things attractive." Also, I don't think Rush is evil at all, I showed his character description to some physicist friends of mine, and right off the bat, they said "He's a scientist, without a doubt", someone who's willing to go to any lengths to get the results, morality be damned.

I think Greer looks really interesting as well, simply because we haven't seen a character like him before. Almost every marine we've been shown on Stargate seemed like a decent person, someone's who's mentally stable, but in reality, that's hardly a case. There's plenty of marines in real life who may be a borderline phsycopath, and Greer seems to be made to play just that role.
                    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

I wasn't around for either the SG1 or SGA (well I was alive...you know what I mean) so I don't know what those character profiles contained pre-premiere BUT

I know in SG1/SGA there are characters people don't like for various reasons, but they were still written to be liked by the majority. I don't think this will be the case with SGU.

I agree. Most of the characters don't look very likable at all. Only three or four of them look like they might be worth watching at all. The Characters from SG1 and Atlantis seem much more appealing than the descriptions given so far for the SGU characters.
                      "If I find out your playing us I'm not going to wait for authorization. There isn't going to be any paperwork. I'm just going to kill you."

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Destroyer View Post
                        I agree. Most of the characters don't look very likable at all. Only three or four of them look like they might be worth watching at all. The Characters from SG1 and Atlantis seem much more appealing than the descriptions given so far for the SGU characters.
                        Well, remember, you're comparing developed characters to glimpses and brief character descriptions. This will probably change once the show starts...unless you end up hating it or something though
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Destroyer View Post
                          This is where the flaw is in your statement, you're comparing well established characters that you've watch for years to mere descriptions/glimpses, it's apples and oranges.

Comment

Hey guys.

So.. Ive been holding my tongue for what seems like forever on this stuff. I was the editor for those character profiles, Ive seen the rough cuts of the first ten eps and I have to say this:

1) Oh man. Universe is good.

2) The character you all are missing right now in your list of favorites is Col. Young. Seriously... you are gonna love him. He's the exact type of SG commander you've been waiting for.

3) Greer isn't mindless grunt or a Ronon clone.

4) I have a million more things to say but I refuse to ruin any of it for you at all. You're just gonna have to wait.

because most of all:

4) You just dont know what you're in for. Universe is good. Like... SO good. GAHHHH.

Comment

Originally posted by editorguy View Post
                              Hey guys.

So.. Ive been holding my tongue for what seems like forever on this stuff. I was the editor for those character profiles, Ive seen the rough cuts of the first ten eps and I have to say this:

1) Oh man. Universe is good.

2) The character you all are missing right now in your list of favorites is Col. Young. Seriously... you are gonna love him. He's the exact type of SG commander you've been waiting for.

3) Greer isn't mindless grunt or a Ronon clone.

4) I have a million more things to say but I refuse to ruin any of it for you at all. You're just gonna have to wait.

because most of all:

4) You just dont know what you're in for. Universe is good. Like... SO good. GAHHHH.
                              I like the enthusiam! I am actually very excited for Col. Young, especially after the character profiles. Hadn't thought about him as much until then, but now I'm super excited. That shouting match with Rush looked awesome
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X