X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Text in SGU

*** First Post Will Be Kept Updated As Translations Progress ***

MGM's new SGU web site includes two main Photosynths and two hidden Photosynths (that's all I could find tonight, I didn't look hard). A Photosynth is a bunch of images mapped into a 3d space. The images are of a very decent resolution and provide a lot of details, such as some Ancient writing. The alphabet should look very familiar. In the corridor, the description provided on the close-up of one of the door 'stars' is the text 'some ancient writing can be seen around the center'. We get it MGM, you want us to decode it. Fine, here we go...

This is a quick translation of some of the text I have been able to spot. I haven't copied any of the images into Photoshop to enhance contrast or anything (I am too tired now). I just wanted to get things started, that is - unless someone else already did in another thread I missed.

So far, all of the decoded text was written by the art department in l33t sp34k. The red text below is the plain English translation.

Raw decoding is in blue.
    Interpreted decoding is in red.

Corridor Doors 'Star'
    It appears to me that all of these doors have the same text. They are probably all molded/painted from the same template.

Inner Circle: This was among the easier text to read. The exact decoding I have is: "wacho?? spin1ng mti0nz of t???dev1c3 r sotimz c0s???ed d4ngrouz t3 spi???t0nz of this dv1c???oz c0sidred d4ngr??3 spin1ng mti9nz of ???s dev1c3 r sotimz 0???ered d4ngrouz", where the question marks are letters covered in darkness or by the 'star' itself. Reading a bit between the lines, this text means: 'Watchout. The spinning motions of this device are sometimes considered dangerous.' The second sentence is repeated three times, using slightly different spellings of the word 'device'.

Outer Circle: The outer circle is a lot darker and is covered more by the 'star'. The most complete translation so far been provided by Colonel Sharp: "THru th??iz 4 d3vi??ez a 0pn1??th 3 s33???etwhen 2 ???ez (f/u)0(j/r) t(f/u)???perpuse o??ez da 1 (j/r)??s iz 4 d3??(f/u?)3 (f/u)oiz? 2 ??? (2/3) si??betw3en 1(?)??(f/u)mez f0r ???(f/u)e(j/r)wip(f/u)sg???lov1ng t??? th1s i???d3vic3 (f/u)??fpn1ng tu???33l bet???l(?) 1 (j/r)(f/u)med?(a/f/u)(j/r) t33wic3??se 0 moow??g". While we are searching for more information, quade_1 has provided a rough translation '"T3 PERPUSE 0 MOOV1NG THRU TH1S IZ 4 D3VICEZ OPN1NG TH3 S33L BETW3EN 2 RUMEZ UOR DA 1".

Gate Room Control Panel 'Star'

Inner Circle: We actually have a very clear view of this text. The only gaps in the decoding are due to text being covered by the 'star'. I so far have "hr3 luks ??fnan 1 rf?? n hs a7l ??ds of rnd rnpet 13 s ? sof7d ch3kh?em 0ur fmd4? s00nz ja fj?sq3jwhe".

Outer Circle: This 'star' is viewed from an angle. There is not enough information available to decode much other than a few characters.

Hub Gauge

Upper Center Text: "ca??anrhergymasx"

Lower Center Text: "Boyd"

Outer Circle Text: They are clearly numbers, but I cannot enough detail to make them out.

Last edited by KayMan2k; 10 July 2009, 08:26 AM.

Bah, I knew I was forgetting something. At work I couldn't check out the Photosynths, but now I'm going to, lol.

Just want to say, very very nice work with this. Must have taken quite a bit of time to look at all of this, haha. Thanks
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

why is it in l33t speak? wouldn't it be easy to be in plain english? but good work (thumbs up) in translating it

Comment

Originally posted by ohnd View Post
        why is it in l33t speak? wouldn't it be easy to be in plain english? but good work (thumbs up) in translating it
        When I first met Brad and Robert, I had made a 'quick' synth of the coridoor and showed them how you could zoom in on the spinner and read the text.

They said 'Oh crap, the fans will know how to translate that in no time, and I have no idea what the art department put on it'

I guess they were right !!!

So I wrote them an English-Ancient translator in Silverlight...I've posted the link on here somewhere...
        Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Originally posted by ohnd View Post
          Yeah, I thought it was a bit weird that the art department choose to write everything in l33t speak. Suppose they just wanted to have a little fun with us.

Originally posted by lmoroney View Post
          They said 'Oh crap, the fans will know how to translate that in no time, and I have no idea what the art department put on it'
          Hehehe... they know us all too well.

I hope that when the spinners spin the text is stationary - so that we might get to see the text hidden by the spinner's points in the first few episodes. Or, you know... if you want to save us some trouble and fill in the blanks....
          Last edited by KayMan2k; 09 July 2009, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Sweet- once I saw it I was going to start translating it but I figured someone already did

- the ancients speak 1337speak... awesome.
            sigpic
            Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

doing my own translation of the outer circle on the door, here it is, ill finish it later:

THru th??iz 4 d3vi??ez a 0pn1??th 3 s33???etwhen 2 ???ez (f/u)0(j/r) t(f/u)???perpuse o??ez da 1 (j/r)??s iz 4 d3??(f/u?)3 (f/u)oiz? 2 ??? (2/3) si??betw3en

~Sharp
              sigpic

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Any body know if there is an ancient font available for download somewhere? I'd love to have it!
                sigpic

Comment

I downloaded it a couple of years ago...though I don't remember where from...

take a look @ this thread:
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=2024
                  sigpic

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Sharp View Post
                    I downloaded it a couple of years ago...though I don't remember where from...

take a look @ this thread:
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=2024
                    Ok...I'll take a peek at it. If anyone else knows where to download it from...let me know! Thanks!
                    sigpic

Comment

if you still can't find it, I'll see if I can e-mail the file to you when I get home
                      sigpic

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Google it, chevron 26 have them

I can't read that 1337 speak thing, could someone translate the rest or link me to where I could find a translate for it?
                        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

finished a "complete" translation of the outer circle:

THru th??iz 4 d3vi??ez a 0pn1??th 3 s33???etwhen 2 ???ez (f/u)0(j/r) t(f/u)???perpuse o??ez da 1 (j/r)??s iz 4 d3??(f/u?)3 (f/u)oiz? 2 ??? (2/3) si??betw3en 1(?)??(f/u)mez f0r ???(f/u)e(j/r)wip(f/u)sg???lov1ng t??? th1s i???d3vic3 (f/u)??fpn1ng tu???33l bet???l(?) 1 (j/r)(f/u)med?(a/f/u)(j/r) t33wic3??se 0 moow??g

I'll take another look at it later and see if I can derive anything else
                          sigpic

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Thank you for providing a better decoding Colonel Sharp. I'll keep the first post updated as we get more information.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Sharp View Post
                              finished a "complete" translation of the outer circle:

THru th??iz 4 d3vi??ez a 0pn1??th 3 s33???etwhen 2 ???ez (f/u)0(j/r) t(f/u)???perpuse o??ez da 1 (j/r)??s iz 4 d3??(f/u?)3 (f/u)oiz? 2 ??? (2/3) si??betw3en 1(?)??(f/u)mez f0r ???(f/u)e(j/r)wip(f/u)sg???lov1ng t??? th1s i???d3vic3 (f/u)??fpn1ng tu???33l bet???l(?) 1 (j/r)(f/u)med?(a/f/u)(j/r) t33wic3??se 0 moow??g

I'll take another look at it later and see if I can derive anything else
                              I can't read the translation...it looks like goobledegook
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X