This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipper clichés

I could use a bit of help. I've gotten a crazy idea that I want to write a ship-ish fanfic. I'd like to hear some opinions on what sort of clichés are common in those fics, so I can avoid or abuse them as I see fit for the story.

a time to mourn

lessee cliches

where can i start????

ok, jack being a jerk and sam being the poor victim, who's pining away for him

sam getting hurt and jack being near suicide because he just CAN'T live without her (or vice versa)

jack going ballistic if sam is missing and tearing the universe apart to find her

pete being abusive/stalker/meanie

sara being a mean wife

the sex is ALWAYS good and perfect the first time out....multiple 'little deaths' abound. There's never equipment failure or miscommunications

teal'c is always the match maker
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ok ....So Skydiver...I am guessing these are *bad* shipper storylines?.... Because I can tell you as a *Shipper* I would have already closed every one of these stories down ............ well except for the *cough*second to the last one*cough* Hey it IS fantasy

Actually, I was trying to understand what the original poster meant by *cliche* and I am a bit confused if I use your answer Skydiver. Are you looking for somewhat *Bad or campy* plot lines so you can avoid or exploit them? Am I understanding that right?
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Yeah, skydiver's got the idea. Think of all the bad fanfics you've read (and if you read ff.net, there are plenty) where a sudden epiphanay or a ridiculous set of circumstances make Jack and Sam get together. While it sometimes works in the hands of a skilled writer, most abuse these plot devices spectaculary.

Which is my intent, in fact.

a time to mourn

Comment

SO many fic's i've read

Jack: Carter, lets go screw (they actually usually don't use that word, if you know what I mean, haha) in the storage room!

Sam is shocked bla bla, excuse for having deep epiphinal thoughts.

Sam: Ok!

*they scamper off*
          The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
          |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

ok, jack being a jerk and sam being the poor victim, who's pining away for him
            Jack being a jerk is kinda sexy. And Sam's only the victim if Jack's a *real* big jerk and is sexually... uh... well.... you know, BadJack, the sexually abusing jerk. (obviously I'm obsessed with BadJack, so I'm ignoring the other 'Sam as a victim' fics)

*, and more laughs*

sam getting hurt and jack being near suicide because he just CAN'T live without her (or vice versa)
            What's wrong with that?

jack going ballistic if sam is missing and tearing the universe apart to find her
            What's wrong with that?

pete being abusive/stalker/meanie
            What's wrong with that? Just following Chimera's example.

sara being a mean wife
            Okay, she wasn't made like that in the show, but it's *always* fun to write the 'other' as a jerk, so it's easier for Sam and/or Jack to dump them. See, it's logical.

the sex is ALWAYS good and perfect the first time out....multiple 'little deaths' abound. There's never equipment failure or miscommunications
            Now *that* is a *must*!

teal'c is always the match maker
            What's wrong with that? *that phrase seems familiar*

Well, I hope I've helped solved/answered some of the original poster's questions.

Sally, cliché lover!
            sally

sigpic

Comment

LOL

every fic out there is cliche in a way. I've had sam go blind. I've messed with her head and had her go nuts. She's been lost off world and jack has to go and get her.

there's not a single plot out there that's 100% original. the trick is, doing the unoriginal in an original way.

ok, so sam goes blind.....does she just go blind? or the ever popular knock on the head? In my fic, the planet had a plant that attacked those who had the protein marker in their blood. it was a defense against the goauld and sam is its unwitting victim. then sg-1 had to go find a cure....instead of jack kissing it and making it better

There is a LOT of bad fic out there. bearing in mind that 'bad' is a subjective term and means something different to everyone.

there's a recent fic that's a remake of the ever popular 'sam and jack are marooned and have to live together to survive' cliche. (what will it take.....right here on gw's archive)

but, to me, what made this one good was that the author sat down and thought things out. she plotted and planned. everything that happened happened for a reason, had a result and consequences and then the characters actually thought things out and dealt with issues.

the cliched fic woulda been them marooned, living together, sleeping together, sam gets pregnant jsut as they're rescued and the president, of course, gives them permission to break the regs.

There's nothing wrong with liking cliched fic. There are times when i like it too. There are times when a nice PWP just hits the spot.

then there are the other times when something more realistic and likely appeals

sigpic

Comment

Don't forget that Sam LOVES chocolate (especially peanut butter cups), and that someone on base (usually Jack) keeps a secret stash. Sam going to Jack's office to raid his stash is always used as an excuse to get the two of them together, which often leads to *ahem* other things in the privacy of Jack's office.
                YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

I hope these aren't my fics everyone's referring to. I've been guilty of a few of these cliches!
                  I'm not sure if this is 'cliche' as such, but the thing that can really drive me away from a fic is Jack starting to refer to Sam as 'babe.' It seems to happen quite a lot and I find it... irritating out of chracter...

Comment

Other than mine and the one fic i named, i'm not referring to anyone's fic in specific. Just generally

And like i said, cliches aren't bad. They're fun. It's all in how you handle them

how about some more cliches???

ooh, i know, ones that i just CAN'T seee

jack and sam dancing
                    jack singing to sam
                    jack buying sam a 10 carat ring - cause she's worth it you know
                    jack and sam declaring thier undying love to the lyrics of some top 40 hit

how about the infirmary bedside vigil? Which is where jack/sam discovers just how much they love the other one.....declaring said love while the person is unconsciuos..but they hear it of course

Let's have fun, what other cliches do you remember reading??

sigpic

Comment

My Heart Will Go On lyrics!
                      No, shippers! Just don't go there!

Comment

Um... confessing everything to Cassie/Janet/Teal'c/Daniel/Dad when other person can overhear!

Finding 'secret' files/diaries in computer/desk drawers which obviously have to be read! (And consist mostly of detailing unspoken love).

Comment

oh there's a biggie...sam keeping a diary. and jack reading it of course

sorry, maybe my interpretation but i just dont see her as the diary type

how about jack writing poetry that sam finds??

sigpic

Comment

Hehehe.
                            Jack turning up wet late at night to confess his love happens a lot. As do things in his cabin/on his roof after stargazing.
                            Being forced to pretend to be married is another big one too.

Comment

yep. and the ever so popular 'forced by aliens to procreate'...thus getting aruond the regs under the 'alien influence' clause

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X