Which is faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is faster?

Warp drive from Star Trek, or the Hyperdrives used in Stargate?

I personally think that the Hyperdrive is faster, as it seems that they are able to travel all over the galaxy, though thats never been directly stated I dont' think. Warp drive however, seems to only be able to carry them around one small sector of the galaxy.

I think it works this way because in Hyperspace, the normal laws of physics dont apply, allowing you to travel at far greater speeds than 10 times the speed of light, whilst warp drive literally does just propell you through normal space extremley fast.

What do you think?

stargate no doubt

Comment

The quantum drive (or whatever it was called) employed by borg and hadrosaurs in Voyager seemed pretty good.

Comment

that's transwarp drive.....

you then have Quantum slipstream drive too which too is fast

but asgard hyperdrive is still fstes
        Last edited by locutes; 04 July 2009, 12:04 PM.

www.darkarmada.nl
        www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

As I recall warp 10 would take you to every place in the universe at once. By the very definition of speed that would have to be the fastest. The FTL drive in Battlestar Galactica can get you to somewhere else in no time at all.

Comment

I'm pretty sure BSG's drive required a lot of calculations for safe jumps, and who's to say how much fuel/power it needs.

Hyperdrives are a lot faster for sure. IIRC Warp 9.9 is about 21,000 times the speed of light. Thats about 2.5 light years an hour (Divide by 356, then 24). At Warp 9.9 it would take about 4.6 years to cross 100,000 light years. The only Stargate Hyper drive we have solid numbers is the pre-Unending 304 drive. That can travel from Earth to Atlantis in about 20 days. Now, in real life the Milky Way is about 100,000 Light years in diameter, and the gap between the Pegasus (dwarf) galaxy, and our own is about 2.7 million light years. So, ~2,800,000 light years, divided by 20 days is 140,000 a day, or 5833.33 an hour, or 1.6 light years a SECOND. Heck, we could get to Alpha Centari with a 304 within 2 seconds, across the galaxy in 17 hours. With a ZPM, it's about 5 times faster (8 light years/second). So yeah, a pre-Undending 304 without a ZPM is about 2333.33 times faster than Warp 9.9.

Comment

Hyperdrive beats Warp Drive hands down but for real speed you want either and Infinite Improbability Drive or a Holly Hop Drive.
              sigpic

Comment

what about the wormhole drive? from what we know, it works much the same way as a stargate in that it allows instantaneously travel to anywhere in a galaxy and beyond...i personally dont like it because it goes against alot of what we've been told about how stargates work...but it was in the show and will more then likely be in the movie...point is, its probably the fastest drive type in science fiction....

Comment

That seems to be a better version of what is used in BSG, the rip off

www.darkarmada.nl
                  www.runescape.com

Comment

Comparing only normal Warp Drive and Hyperdrive then Hyperdrive is ALOT faster.

Everything in the Star Trek universe is within our own galaxy split into 4 quadrans because it's so damn big.
                    In Voyager it took ~70 years (i believe) to travel from 1 corner of the milky way into the Alpha quadrant, so basically they had to travel a bit more than half across the Milky way before they reached familiar space, this was done with as much time as possible in maximum warp.
                    In Stargate with hyperdrives we travel this distance in hours.
                    Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
                    Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by Itzan View Post
                      IRC Warp 9.9 is about 21,000 times the speed of light. Thats about 2.5 light years an hour (Divide by 356, then 24). At Warp 9.9 it would take about 4.6 years to cross 100,000 light years.
                      Are you sure that's right? Voyager, traveling at around warp 6, estamated it would take 70 years to travel 70,000 light years, thats a thousand light years a year. Now Voaygers top speed with just a regular warp drive was 9.75, meaning that by your calculations they could be home in less than 10 years time just by travelling at maximum warp.

Comment

only transwarp is faster.

hyperdrive owns rest

Comment

correction, transwarp CAN be faster but it depends. As could QSD

Hyperdrive is overall faster

www.darkarmada.nl
                          www.runescape.com

Comment

if i'm not mistaken, warp 10 would take you everywhere at the same time, or something like that. but i also think the Future Enterprise (TNG, All Good Things...) was traveling at warp 13 at some point... it's been years since i saw it, before i became a stargate fan i think, but wouldn't that allow time travel?
                            sigpic

Spoiler:
                            Originally posted by IMDB
                            Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                            Hehe

Comment

A simple rescaling of the warp scales makes warp 13 possible.

warp 10 in the 24th century before the last TNG episode (which is partially in the future) is infinite speed. But it is not a viable way of transportation

www.darkarmada.nl
                              www.runescape.com

Comment

Working...
                              X