Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview with David Hewlett for the French release of "A Dog's Breakfast"

Hello,

Today is the date of the release of A Dog's Breakfast in France ("Mon beau, ma soeur et moi") and I've did an interview with David Hewlett to talk about it.

He's also talking about his projects, Starcrossed, Stargate Universe and even Doctor Who.

Okay. So the release date of “A Dog’s Breakfast” in France is scheduled for July the 1st, how do you feel about releasing the DVD of a movie that hasn’t been broadcasted in France?
    You know, I have these very fond memories of France because we took “Cube”, a movie I did years and years ago with one of my oldest friends Vincenzo Natali, to the Paris film festival and we had, like, the best time of our lives. I absolutely loved it. And the film did very, very well in France as well so we…we love the French! It’s also just a way of life as well, something about being in Paris and touring around France that really made it sort of a magical time for us so, you know, it’s always been a place I’ve been dying to get back to at each chance I get. In fact Vincenzo has just finished doing, I suppose it’s in post-production work, a film called “Splice” that I did with him, which is a film that Guillermo Del Toro executive-produced. I think it could be out at the end of this year so…So we’re never that far away from France it seems.

Yes, and don’t worry, the French love you too!
    Ha! Well that’s great, good, I should…I kick myself because I wish if I spoke better French maybe I could actually do some of your good movies. Especially in Canada as well, the French-Canadian movies are just so much more superior it seems than the rest of the country stuff. They make these amazing, amazing films.

So do you have any clue why the Fox/MGM is not keeping the original title for the release in France?
    I don’t, no. There’s probably some geniuses in marketing somewhere who have decided that it’s better to sort of play with it. That’s one of those things that once you give your film up to a studio like this, they have to make the decisions because it’s basically their product at this point so they are going to do whatever they feel is the best for the film so it can be quite frustrating because, you know, that was the first [time] I’d heard of it when you told me so as a filmmaker and someone that has put so much time and energy into a film it’s such a hard thing to give up, you know.

You can read the rest of the interview here in English (audio file available) :
    http://www.davidhewlett-fr.com/inter...d-hewlett-eng/

I hope you'll like it !
    For those of you who will download the audio file of the interview, I apologies for my English pronunciation.

There's also a contest for the French here (DVDs and signed posters to win):
    http://concours.davidhewlett-fr.com/

Lovely long interview! Thanks!

Comment

Still no UK release then?
      Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Nice, I dont imagine David Hewlett playing anything else but Stargate Atlantis.....
        sigpicThe City of The One will rise from the ashes of history.....

Comment

Ooh, thanks for that, very interesting.

DH's site gives release dates for various countries:

http://www.dgeek.com/index.php?optio...blog&Itemid=35

If you live in the UK and have a region 2 DVD player then if you can get the DVD from one of the European countries where it's being released (The Netherlands and Belgium are listed for 14th July) it should work on your player. Hopefully you can choose an English language option! I wish they would come up with a UK release, though.

Edit - ah, I see the French release has been brought forward to 1st July. I've just been very naughty and ordered it via French amazon. The last time I tried to order something from there a few years ago, it wouldn't let me because I don't live in France, but this time it all seems to have gone through fine. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive...
          Last edited by Catsitter; 03 July 2009, 01:30 AM.
          Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Great interview! Thanks for having an English transcript and the audio download.

How about dating the interview and putting the reason for the interview (A Dog's Breakfast release in France on July 1, 2009) at the top. I always like to know when and why an interview is done and not have to try to figure it out from the interview itself. Even if you have the information on another page, it's best to repeat it because people can directly jump to the page from a search engine like Google.

David said
            Look, we’re having an interview over the Internet that is costing us nothing. Normally this would have cost a fortune, long-distance feeds and stuff, even something as simple as that.
            What technology were you using?

My kind of guy:
            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
            (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652 View Post
              Great interview! Thanks for having an English transcript and the audio download.

How about dating the interview and putting the reason for the interview (A Dog's Breakfast release in France on July 1, 2009) at the top. I always like to know when and why an interview is done and not have to try to figure it out from the interview itself. Even if you have the information on another page, it's best to repeat it because people can directly jump to the page from a search engine like Google.

David said

What technology were you using?
              I'll add this at the top of the interview
              We did this interview by using Skype.

Comment

Just to say my DVD has arrived and it has the option to select English language with no subtitles, so I would heartily recommend buying it from French Amazon for anyone in the UK.
                Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Working...
                X