X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will TPTB object?

I'll post here because this is were the people interested in writing are

I'm currently writing a novel, science-fiction, I'm writing just now and I thought it would be funny to have a reference to SG-1 in it. This is an extract of my first draft,

"She switched channels by thinking about it and found herself watching some old science-fiction series that had been very popular at the beginning of the previous century, something about a military group of people traveling to other planets through a round device with a wormhole. She wondered if the writers of the show had had any idea that in just under two centuries later, humans would be actively considering building such a device. Alice was involved in the project as the highly respected mathematician she was."

It's got nothing to do with wormholes but this character is involved in a project. I was wondering if the PTB would object to having the series mentioned in the novel. I thought maybe the characters might name the project "Stargate" as an hommage to the series, or maybe sometimes make humorous comments related to the series. I've seen this kind of things done about Star Trek or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

I don't think they'd mind. I actually prefer that my scifi has some basis in reality; like O'Neill's various Star Trek references in the series
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

i doubt they'll mind. it's not as if you're referring to it by name....and popular culture references are in shows/books all the time
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

So I can, say...call whatever they manage to invent "stargate" because the inventors watched the show or is that pushing it too far? I think it might be pushing it.
        May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
          I think it might be pushing it.
          Me too, but I think it would be ok to actually say: "She was watching Stargate."
          Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
            Me too, but I think it would be ok to actually say: "She was watching Stargate."
            I'm clueless about the law in such matters, but my guess is that your planned usage of Stargate SG-1 falls under public domain.

I could be wrong about this, but I doubt that TPTB have to pay a royalty to Gracie Films every time Jack mentions the Simpsons.
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I think as Stargate is part of popular culture then it is fine to mention it by name in your novel... It's a bit like talking about The Beetles or a Honda ...
              Sam....

Comment

If you plan to publish, just do a Google search on 'fair use'. Calling the device in your story a stargate is probably pushing it, but bear in mind that 'stargate' comes originally from Arthur C. Clarke's 2001.
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                X