This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaking ancient??

Ok so we all now know how to use ancient in MS-word, but how about speaking it? Surely after so many episodes someone has come up with a way to verbally express these characters? Can someone provide me with some means to correctly pronounce these characters?
    We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
    —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
    —Ricky Gervais

lol secret sg fan language
    ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

it was meant to be letter for letter for english.

Comment

Who are you going to talk ancient with? You can just make stuff up cos nobody will know what you are on about anyway.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kernl sandrs View Post
          Ok so we all now know how to use ancient in MS-word, but how about speaking it? Surely after so many episodes someone has come up with a way to verbally express these characters? Can someone provide me with some means to correctly pronounce these characters?
          when have we learnt ancient alphabet?
          sigpic
          Sig by RogueRanger

Comment

Originally posted by clauz89 View Post
            when have we learnt ancient alphabet?
            Every ancient word written in the series can be translated directly into English substituting specific symbols for specific letters (1 to 1 comparison).

They're endless Easter eggs. If I remember right, the front of the Jumper says "do not enter the stargate while cloaked" (I read this on these forums, didn't try it for myself)

Since the words don't match with the story, there isn't a way of actually pronouncing them... maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              Who are you going to talk ancient with? You can just make stuff up cos nobody will know what you are on about anyway.
              Well Klingon from star trek has become pretty well known for being spoken amongst hard core fans
              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                They're endless Easter eggs. If I remember right, the front of the Jumper says "do not enter the stargate while cloaked" (I read this on these forums, didn't try it for myself)

Since the words don't match with the story, there isn't a way of actually pronouncing them... maybe.
                I never saw that one, haha cool and a nice way of explaining why they don't do that... haha
                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

A word on the side of the life signs detector says "dude".

seeing as english is based on a latin alphabet, and ancient is ther root of the latin language we can assume they are similar alphabets. makes you wonder whether the ancients also had to change word endings for different person and mood, also wether they were esactely similar.....

oh i study latin so i might be able to come up with a few things to post later.

Comment

You guys might find this thread handy :
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=13522

It's still open ,and hopefully most of the links for fonts etc still work .
                    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                    X