This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will SGU still be "Stargate" to you?

A common thread I've seen in a lot of my discussions about SGU have to do with whether or not it will still be considered "Stargate".

Some have said that they are interested in the many changes TPTB are promising to make with SGU. They look forward to the greater focus on character moments, and are interested in more realistic and, at times, darker storylines.

While others have expressed dismay at these changes. For them, Stargate was fine the way it was, and they aren't looking forward to any of the changes. They preferred the episodic format (what some call the "reset button"), and feel SGU won't be lighthearted enough.

Still others fall somewhere in the middle, saying that they like the new direction but are hoping it still retains certain qualities.

What are your opinions and thoughts on this? What is "Stargate" to you? As a supplementary question, does this affect your desire to even watch SGU?
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Stargate to me is now bigger than itself. Something like this hasn't happened for T.V. in a while. Stargate is something special and anything they do with it is okay for me. I will watch SGU if I can. I will most definitely get it on DVD when it comes out and hope it does at least five like Atlantis.
    Jackson: This is a radio. It's so my friends can find me, and shoot you.

Comment

ive never not liked anything about stargate and i never will. i love everything i hear about SGU and cant wait to see it.

Comment

It'll be Stargate whether I like it or not, so there's really no point making the distinction.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
          It'll be Stargate whether I like it or not, so there's really no point making the distinction.
          Of course there is.

The objective definition of what Stargate is (i.e. whatever TPTB label as Stargate) doesn't tell us anything when considering if people will watch it or not. I'd imagine the label isn't enough to make someone stick with SGU even if they didn't end up liking it.

The subjective definition (i.e. what people have come to know and love about Stargate) tells us a lot in this regard. People can discuss what they've heard of SGU so far and how that fits what they'd hope to see out of Stargate.

I for one am very interested to know what the general feeling is among Gateworld users with regards to the topic.
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

I think that I will need to see an episode or two of Universe before I decide.

Comment

IT depends...I don't want a Voyager remake or a BSG remake...if they use the gate enough to satisfy me, then it will. If it is all soap style, then nope it won't be. I am still on the fence, I admit it.

Comment

But none of us have seen it yet, so how can we answer?

Comment

I don't know if it will be like the other Stargates. Every science fiction show has a level of strangeness that characterizes it. How alien are the aliens, how freaky is the tech - SG1 and Atlantis were pretty similar in that respect.

My bet is it'll go stranger with the aliens, but still have the approach to tech that lets them go as freaky as they want while implying it's all very advanced, but solid science.

The stories will probably have a similar dramatic rhythm (Teaser + 5 Acts) since it's mostly the same writers.

They have said there will be a bigger budget, but didn't SG1 start out that way, too? I'm not sure if it did, I just know the earlier shows would take more time for little details like make-up for a sick character.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    But none of us have seen it yet, so how can we answer?
                    There are little bits you can go off of, though I agree with your sentiment. For example, we know it's going to be more character-focused, that it's going to tell darker stories, etc.. We can, at least, go off of what we've actually been given by TPTB in the form of interviews and trailers. I agree, though, that we can't know the specifics until it actually airs.

As I said, a common thing I've seen in a lot of discussions (primarily on the anti-SGU side though) is whether or not people think SGU will fit what they've come to know and enjoy about Stargate.

I've seen some that aren't even willing to give the show a chance because they're convinced that it won't. It's also why I added in the very last question in my original post.

Perhaps it's a futile question, but I've seen more than a few people jumping the gun here, and even more on other forums (i.e. SciFi forums). Therefore, I'm interested in what people's initial impressions are with regards to all of this.
                    Sig by Pandora's Box
                    sigpic

Comment

Stargate is like ice-cream. It has many flavours, not everyone enjoys them all, but they're all ice-cream. I expect and hope to enjoy Universe-flavoured ice-cream
                      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

When Atlantis was first coming to light, I thought "Oh dear, here we go".

I wasn't all that into the general premise, however it actually turned out to be a decent series, which so many people, myself included, love.

SGA arguably attracted a more dedicated and die hard fan base than SG1 (look at all the outcry when it was cancelled).

It all comes back to waiting for the premiere.

I am all for people expressing their opinion, but can people at least wait until Air part 1 has, well... aired. No pun intended.

It's just very disconcerting to see so many stargate fans jump ship months before anyone has seen an actual episode.

Take care, guys
                        "i'm not doctor weir"

yeah, damn straight.

Comment

I know SGU will be different, but it still is stargate, they still will be exploring different worlds all thats really changed is why, which gives it a sense of urgency, which really isn't going to do harm I think
                          I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not looking forward to the show, I'll still watch the piolt ep and hope I'll be pleasantly surprised(wouldn't be the first time). But if I don't like what I see I'm not gonna keep watching it. I refuse to watch a show just because it has Stargate in its name.

Comment

I think it will be different but different in a good way. If it followed the same formula as SG1 and SGA I think people might start getting burnt out on it and you would see people trying to relate stories as just remixes of previous SG1 and SGA episodes which happend with Atlantis. I loved both previous series but I am also looking forward to SGU.

Comment

Working...
                              X