PDA

View Full Version : Alien races general discussion

Pages : [1] 2

JThunder101
September 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM
This point has been brought up in a number of posts. For some reason, it doesnát seem the Universe team will have a resident alien. I think that is a mistake. I think they need someone to present that perspective. An alien is always a good counterpoint. Besides, who are they going to throw all the pop-culture references at?

In both SG-1 and Atlantis, the aliens were warrior types. If they do decide to do an alien for this show I think it would need to be something different. I would almost imagine a being who is a mix of a conman and Dr. Smith (from "Lost in Space"), someone who can cause just as much trouble as they can also help out in certain situations. It could be someone who has a completely different agenda than the rest, acts on it, but in the end this being is exactly on the same page as the others. In other words, he causes a lot of trouble, but in the end he helps the team meet their goals, but he does it completely his/her own way. I think a character like this would add more humor to the show.

An alien character could be someone they come across and joins them in hopes of trying to find his own people who were lost and separated during some great disaster. The being could be a historian or archeologist who is chasing clues to some big mystery and ends up on the Destiny and acts as something of a guide/diplomat because he has a working knowledge of some of the stuff they will be encountering. (I almost imagine it like Galen from "Crusade.") The "mystery" could have an impact on the team and the ship.

It could be an assended being who got cast out, but not all the way like Anubsis, This being would have knowledge of the aliens they will encounter and so on. Maybe he/she has to regain their place among the assended by going on a quest and the Destiny just happens to be going their way.

It could be a kid who was taken from their family and this team becomes the only family they have ever had.

I know this might seem like a cheap rip off of "The Doctor" from "Star Trek: Voyager," but the Destiny could have an AI program that appears to the team as a hologram or something and that could be the alien/outsider character. It could be the Ancient that created the ship and like an Ancient did in Atlantis, an assended being could really be behind the image.

Also, think about it. This ship is flying through an unknown part of the universe for millions of years. It is bound to attract some unwanted attention with species trying to board it or destroy it. Something has to be in place to control the ship's defenses, handle regular maintenance and so on.

When the humans board, one or more can have the Ancient gene that the AI would recognize and would not decide to blast them.

Stories centered on the character can be about instances that occurred to it over the centuries with some of those things having implecations for the team in the present day.

Of course the problem would be if an AI is so intelligent, why wouldn't it be able to turn the ship around?

I'm just throwing out ideas here, but you get what I mean. I think they need an alien.

Who agrees?

Blistna
September 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I think the alien will be a season character only, someone to stay on for as long as the SG:U is in this galaxy, and hardly ever actually stays on the ship. I think it would be more wise to have an all-human team, and many alien allies. And who knows? Maybe they will add one...but if they do, I want them to be a "Daniel Jackson" character.

jenks
September 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM
The alien character was always used as a bit of a cheat in Stargate, instead of finding stuff out about the Goa'uld/Pegasus Galaxy the teams always had Teal'c/Teyla to spoon feed them the information. Doesn't bother me too much that there won't be one, at least not at first, I think their feeling of isolation will be key to the feel of the series, finding a new friend straight away might take away from that a bit...

ShadowMaat
September 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I figure we'll pick up an alien partway into the season after the tragic demise of one of the main characters. Either that or they're gonna go for the Andromeda/Voyager approach and have some holographic Ancient as an additional "crewmember." Either the embodiment of the ship itself or the Chief Engineer or whatever.

rielgenius1688
September 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
This point has been brought up in a number of posts. For some reason, it doesnát seem the Universe team will have a resident alien. I think that is a mistake. I think they need someone to present that perspective. An alien is always a good counterpoint. Besides, who are they going to throw all the pop-culture references at?

In both SG-1 and Atlantis, the aliens were warrior types. If they do decide to do an alien for this show I think it would need to be something different. I would almost imagine a being who is a mix of a conman and Dr. Smith (from "Lost in Space"), someone who can cause just as much trouble as they can also help out in certain situations. It could be someone who has a completely different agenda than the rest, acts on it, but in the end this being is exactly on the same page as the others. In other words, he causes a lot of trouble, but in the end he helps the team meet their goals, but he does it completely his/her own way. I think a character like this would add more humor to the show.

An alien character could be someone they come across and joins them in hopes of trying to find his own people who were lost and separated during some great disaster. The being could be a historian or archeologist who is chasing clues to some big mystery and ends up on the Destiny and acts as something of a guide/diplomat because he has a working knowledge of some of the stuff they will be encountering. (I almost imagine it like Galen from "Crusade.") The "mystery" could have an impact on the team and the ship.

It could be an assended being who got cast out, but not all the way like Anubsis, This being would have knowledge of the aliens they will encounter and so on. Maybe he/she has to regain their place among the assended by going on a quest and the Destiny just happens to be going their way.

It could be a kid who was taken from their family and this team becomes the only family they have ever had.

I know this might seem like a cheap rip off of "The Doctor" from "Star Trek: Voyager," but the Destiny could have an AI program that appears to the team as a hologram or something and that could be the alien/outsider character. It could be the Ancient that created the ship and like an Ancient did in Atlantis, an assended being could really be behind the image.

Also, think about it. This ship is flying through an unknown part of the universe for millions of years. It is bound to attract some unwanted attention with species trying to board it or destroy it. Something has to be in place to control the ship's defenses, handle regular maintenance and so on.

When the humans board, one or more can have the Ancient gene that the AI would recognize and would not decide to blast them.

Stories centered on the character can be about instances that occurred to it over the centuries with some of those things having implecations for the team in the present day.

Of course the problem would be if an AI is so intelligent, why wouldn't it be able to turn the ship around?

I'm just throwing out ideas here, but you get what I mean. I think they need an alien.

Who agrees?

You forget Jonas, for a time he was the "cerebral alien". Then there was Vala, and she brought to the team...well, anyway, the alien thing is getting sort of cliche.

If the series is going to be one galaxy per season as has been suggested by others, then perhaps that leaves open the possibility for outsiders to join up for a more limited period of time within their own galaxies.

atlantisguy76
September 26th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Several posts I've read have mentioned Jonas and asked why he wasn't included in Universe. We get the alien point of view, and we get a decent actor who isn't annoying. He was on an SG team before, so its not a stretch to have him on an SG team that goes through the gate for Stargate Universe.

This also stays away from an alien spoon-feeding info to the crew. They get to explore and find things out for themselves.

Calhoun
September 26th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I don't mind if they introduce an "alien" character later on... so long as they make them actually alien, rather than just another human with slightly superior abilities (Teal'c's Jaffa strength, Teyla's Wraith gift, etc). Especially with Teyla, they haven't really used the "alien" angle very much in scripts, so if the writers want to just avoid having an "alien" character this time because it serves no purpose, then I'm all for it.

Durbelethwen
September 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I was thinking maybe they will have an Ancient who was placed in stasis on the ship as sort of a living time capsule similar to Ariana. The character would have the information of star systems and what is known about them but there would also be a lot not known because of the passage of time.

Also based on the discussions about the ethical dilemmas I think that they should have a Nox as an ethical advisor. The character would only be an occasional character maybe like Dr. Zalenka.

Orion Antreas
September 26th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I just thought of something...This is probably a knock off of Star Trek, but heh, I will shoot anyway. Would it be interesting to see if we have an expedition go off to the Destiny (I haven't seen any talk about an expedition. So far, it is only a team, but I think that would be a bit of a stretch...) that it would be a "inter-racial" expedition consisting of multiple allies in the Milky Way galaxy such as Jaffa, Tok'ra, maybe Nox. (Nice way to have them come back into the picture since there weren't a lot of stories about them...)

Umm, not sure who else, but it would be nice to keep the Milky Way allies in the Stargate universe alive. These would be guest characters/background characters, etc. Not the main cast because obviously they are going with a human cast. Anyways, I thought of this when someone mentioned having the Nox as a "ethical adviser".

Who knows..? That could be a nice thing to keep the previous races in the show, see how they interact with the other races deserted alone on the Destiny, while still meeting new races as we move on. Yay, nay, maybe? Heh.

ShadowMaat
September 26th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Jonas will never be seen again on ANY Stargate production because TPTB don't want him. It's that simple.

As for the alien thing being cliche... ROTFL! If the producers were worried about being cliche then the character synopses we've already seen would contain some originality and would not be so easy to pin down as the "O'Neill clone" and the "McKay clone" and so on. ;) No, I'm betting SGU will be full of cliches and that TPTB won't shy away from any of them. If it was good enough for SG-1 and Atlantis, it'll be good enough for SGU. You can bet your sweet bippy on that one. :P

Cavil
September 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I dont see why they would EVER put Jonas in the show, it seems like a stupid idea IMO... think about it, it makes no sense.

ShadowMaat
September 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I dont see why they would EVER put Jonas in the show, it seems like a stupid idea IMO... think about it, it makes no sense.

It's tempting to say that the more nonsensical and stupid something is, the more likely it is to actually happen, but I'll try to resist that urge. :P

It kinda saddens me to see folks who honestly seem to believe that Jonas ever has a chance of reappearing in Stargate. Kudos to folks clinging hard to their rose-tinted glasses, but at some point reality has to rear its ugly rose-proof head. I loved the character, but there's simply no chance in hell of us seeing him again. Ever.

ark-of-continuum
September 26th, 2008, 06:30 PM
My favorite non-warrior allens of course is cute boy Jonas and fabulous woman Vala on SG-1. They both was an awesome characters.

Universe needs some alien characters, of course if this not be unnatural thing. Btw I think, that is /out/ of alien character in the team is better than have a wrong one. IMO.

Jangles
September 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Some interesting ideas OP. It could be they are not completely done with the cast yet and haven't created the alien character yet.

I'm not sure how much the PTB are thinking about some of the similarites of SGU and STV so an intelligent AI is not out of the realm of possibility. It makes logical sense when you think about it, at least on the seeding gate ship. If they do have an AI aboard the Destiny I hope it is something more limited though. It is intelligent and helps run the ship, but doesn't have a body or a hologram representation. Maybe just a voice and some thing else to represent it on screen. Has anyone seen the anime Outlaw Star? Gilliam from that show would be a good example.

If they pick up an actual alien on the way I would like to see him/her as a different type of regular alien other than a warrior. Perhaps some kind of slimy weasel of a man (not in the literal sense) that has ways of getting information and could be a useful asset no matter which galaxy they are in. Someone who they wouldn't know if they can trust him or not as he has his own scemes and such. A Maybourne type character, though I never really saw him as a weasel.

JThunder101
September 26th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I think it would be interesting to go with a different alien every-so-often, have an alien come in for a couple to several episodes, have a wacky adventure or two with the team and move along.

This way you can have a number of personalities and professions and kinda mix it up a bit. That way you aren't locked into one type of alien and you can have a number of experiences for the team.

You could have the conman causing trouble, you can have the archeologist trying to find the key to a great mystery, you can have the one trying to find their people and so on. It would certainly open up the story possibilities.

Stargate Answers
September 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I think the Alien character should be someone like "Adria" Cool, Hot and has a couple of tricks up her Sleeve. She know's alot somebody like her would be perfect so long as they don't want to kill everyone that don't believe what they believe. But she only believed that because the Ori made her believe it because of their selective programing of the memories they gave her.

Stargate Answers
September 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM

This alien character has already been done but yeah i would agree that someone like this would be cool as well. But you remember Vala don't you she was cool in her own way.

Stargate Answers
September 26th, 2008, 07:56 PM

This would be useless i like the idea but it's been done.
If the Destiny has a set path that it travels and it quite often moves galaxies than what would be the point it means that they would be stuck on the ship forever with no chance of finding his own people.

One other Question if the ship was only designed to seed gates around the galaxy than why would the ship have any crew quarters it's not like it would need them.

JThunder101
September 26th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I thought there were two ships, one seeding planets with stargates and another that would be following up with explorers. My understanding is the Destiny was designed to be the ship for the explorers, thus it would have crew quarters and so on.

I agree Vala did the whole con artist wit a heart of gold thing, but I was thinking the alien character would be an alien, not just a human from another part of the universe whose people were brought out to the stars ages ago.

ShadowMaat
September 26th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I think having a non-human alien is just a bit too daring for TPTB. ;) They like to stick with their standards and that means a human from another world. Although I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of a Replicator. In fact, one of the main cast could already be a Replicator and we just won't find out until later.

Vespasianus
September 26th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I'm glad we won't see an alien team member this time around. Teal'c was good in SG-1: silent, strong, sometimes a comic relief and worked for the bad guys for most of his life. And I kinda liked Jonas too.

But personally, I find Teyla and Ronon painfully uninteresting, even now in Season 5 (though I must admit they are less uninteresting than in Seasons 1-4). And Vala just annoyed the hell out of me.:)

NIMBUS
September 26th, 2008, 10:58 PM
For some reason, it doesnát seem the Universe team will have a resident alien.

i just wanted to point out one thing - if the alien is a puppet they don't need to cast it

ShadowMaat
September 26th, 2008, 11:02 PM
i just wanted to point out one thing - if the alien is a puppet they don't need to cast it

A puppet or CGI. ;) Or, if not a Replicator, they could go old school and give us a Goa'uld. Or maybe an Ori. Sleeper agents, it's all about sleeper agents...

Stargate Answers
September 27th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I think the producers of the show don't want to have an alien character it just doesn't seem right. Like a full on alien that doesn't look like a human.

A replicator would fit in just right if the ancients maybe designed a replicator to do all the repairs on the ship.

On what i've read about SGU there is only one ship called the destiny. But i could be wrong. If your not sure than the best thing is to do your research that's all you do in school and that's what you should do in the real world.

EternityStar
September 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I'm all for fitting in Ba'al's host personally - it'd be an interesting character to say the least, given his age and god knows how much cloning. If they go with the AI thing, then we may see some of Amelius, the inventor of the Ark of Truth and of the Stargates.

September 29th, 2008, 12:57 AM
how does anyone know there won't be an alien character, perhaps there will be one, but that doesn't need casting ie CGI/animatronic character :P

GhostPoet
September 30th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Maybe they'll have an alien tailor!

TheHumanElement
September 30th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Either that or they're gonna go for the Andromeda/Voyager approach and have some holographic Ancient as an additional "crewmember." Either the embodiment of the ship itself or the Chief Engineer or whatever.

I personally think that would be a great idea, but not for the resident alien. I'd be better for a reoccurring background character, maybe. I think Amelius could make a good hologram.

Although I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of a Replicator. In fact, one of the main cast could already be a Replicator and we just won't find out until later.

I really want to see a replicator as the resident alien. Specifically, I'd really like Michelle Morgan's to reprise her role as a replicator. She could either be a FRAN which is now an experimental part of a SGC team or she could be an all new replicator created/found on board the Destiny.

I'd prefer to see FRAN return. I originally the idea on another thread and I thought it was a great idea. FRAN was originally the Friendly Replicator Android that McKay and Zelenka made. Michelle Morgan also played another FRAN that embodied the replicator version of Dr. Weir a few episodes ago.

Maybe the FRAN could create conflict in that it knows how to return the ship "home" but she refuses to because that goal isn't part of her prime directives.

Michelle Morgan

Date of Birth:
16 July (http://www.imdb.com/OnThisDay?day=16&month=July)1981 (http://www.imdb.com/BornInYear?1981)

"Stargate: Atlantis" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374455/) .... Dr. Elizabeth Weir
- Be All My Sins Remember'd (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1036451/) (2008) TV episode .... F.R.A.N. (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0095214/)

I originally was glad there wasn't an alien team member. They always seem to be so out of place i the scheme of things, with the exception of T'ealc. If they don't use FRAN then it might be great if they used an Lanteanin cryo like was previously mentioned. I think we really need a Lantean-type character to help elaborate more on Lantean culture.

I think the producers of the show don't want to have an alien character it just doesn't seem right. Like a full on alien that doesn't look like a human.

A replicator would fit in just right if the ancients maybe designed a replicator to do all the repairs on the ship.

I agree. One of the things I like about the SGverse is that they don't have an abnormal number of humanoid "aliens" like Star Trek. It's not like Voyager where you see a new alien every episode. The aliens they do have are direct offshoots of human beings like the G'uald or genetic mutations like the Wraith. The only drastically different aliens are the Asgard, but the Asgard fit in because they conform to modern Ufology myths. There are replicators, but they were man made. I think there were other alien types, but they were phased out or neglected. I think they should keep the alien population of the SGverse streamlined as they have in the past.

the fifth man
September 30th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm fine with there not being an alien team member on SGU (at least as far as we know).

kymeric
October 1st, 2008, 06:36 AM
Scifi shows typically use the alien character as the point of view person. Through LtCmdr Data we got a cold turkey look at the world of startrek. Same with the Dr on Voyager. Tealc was that on Sg1, Teyla was kinda that on sga, her or ronin.

They dont HAVE to be an alien, they could be just some quirky earthling. Maybe thats the party girl? Sororistutes are fairly out of it an naive in my experiences.

GhostPoet
October 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure why i'm thinking this. but I kind of suspect we may get a holographic ancient.

TheHumanElement
October 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure why i'm thinking this. but I kind of suspect we may get a holographic ancient.

Maybe because it's been mentioned a few times already throughout the forum, but it's also possible because it makes alot of sense. I mean the ancients were pretty advanced and I believe a ship with an AI and a holographic avatar probably represents the cutting edge in advanced sci-fi starship design. It would just make sense to have one. I mean I used to love Rommy in Starship Andromeda and "The Doctor" in Voyager is clearly been a popular character. Having a holographic AI on board is just in good taste.

ShadowMaat
October 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM
In good taste?? LOL! That's one way of looking at it. Another is calling it boring and cliche. And if they're working so hard to convince folks that this isn't going to be Stargate: Voyager then they'd best avoid signature elements like a holographic crewman.

That doesn't mean I don't think it's a distinct possibility, it just means I think it's stupid.

TheHumanElement
October 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM
In good taste?? LOL! That's one way of looking at it. Another is calling it boring and cliche. And if they're working so hard to convince folks that this isn't going to be Stargate: Voyager then they'd best avoid signature elements like a holographic crewman.

That doesn't mean I don't think it's a distinct possibility, it just means I think it's stupid.
You mean Stargate isn't already cliche? It's a world that uses starships that have hyperdrives, transporters, and beam weapons. They explore the universe, fighting aliens and "evil" AIs. There going to re-hatch the Lost in Space concept and there using a cast which in essence is easily comparable to previous Stargate series. All they need to do is add a overwhelmingly powerful enemy who dominates a portion of the galaxy and we'll be all set. I don't think adding a hologram to the show any more cliche then it already is. Besides, adding a hologram won't be boring or cliche if it's written properly. As long as the AI is adequetely used as a plot device. It's not who you use, but how you use it. How can you have a race as advanced as the Lanteans, but not have holograms?

Finger13
October 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
I don't see how it makes sense for FRAN to be on SGU. I find it hard to believe that Earth would be willing to construct a Replicator and send it on its merry way with the team/expedition to a potentially crucial location.

For that matter, Earth probably doesn't realize that they're sending a rookie team to a starship that jumps all over the place with no way home? So why would they feel the need for FRAN.

If there will be any outside contact, it will be an entity that the Ancients left behind.

TheHumanElement
October 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM
I don't see how it makes sense for FRAN to be on SGU. I find it hard to believe that Earth would be willing to construct a Replicator and send it on its merry way with the team/expedition to a potentially crucial location.

For that matter, Earth probably doesn't realize that they're sending a rookie team to a starship that jumps all over the place with no way home? So why would they feel the need for FRAN.

If there will be any outside contact, it will be an entity that the Ancients left behind.
The original FRAN was destroyed along with the rest of the Asurans, but a new FRAN could be made either at Atlantis for this particular mission or after on the ship after they get trapped.

The SGC has already shown a willingness to resurrect the replicator technology. We've seen this on The Ark of Truth. The tech was going to be used as a weapon against the Ori. Even though the plan backfired, McKay demonstrated that it's possible to build a replicator that's controllable. We also saw their willingness to resurrect the tech this season for Dr. Elizabeth Weir. Now that the Asurans have been destroyed the original threat of the FRAN linking to the Asuran network and becoming an enemy combatant has been almost completely eliminated. Even though there still is still a risk, the risk is significantly smaller. Replicator tech is really powerful so it's probably only a matter of time before the SGC is tempted to resurrect the tech.

Technically we don't know if the SGC knows where there sending the team. It depends on how the story is written. It's possible they may find out about the Destiny by acquiring data from the Ancient database or from some other source. Plus they always send the M.A.L.P. in advance for recon before they send someone through the gate, so they probably will know there sending someone to a ship in advance.

For the mission, assuming they know there sending the team to the Destiny, instead of sending a whole expedition to the ship; imagine how much more efficient it would be to send just a FRAN who could do the work of several scientists along with the team. And in a way, the FRAN is expendable along with the team so if something goes wrong instead of losing the whole expedition, you just lose one team and a FRAN. Collateral damage is minimized. I know this sounds harsh, but to me this would explain why they would send such a young team on such an important mission. Remember, they plan on giving Stargate a "darker" plotline. The FRAN could add to the suspense because you never know when she's gonna turn on you, but at the same time she'll be even essential once they get trapped on the ship so they can't get rid of her. So there's potential for added conflict there. BSG meets Terminator:TSCC.

The alternative idea is that the FRAN is on board the Destiny when the team gets there and does not arrive with the team. I mean the ship needs some level of internal security ,if it's automated; just in case the ship is invaded. If the ship was sent out before the Lantean/Asuran conflict then there would have been no reason not to add such a useful piece of tech onboard. In addition to security the replicator could do numerous duties from repair to maintenance, etc. The problem with using a human in cryostorage is is something is wrong like the ship has been attacked and heavily damaged or the ship is invaded or the life support doesn't work there is little he would be able to do. Plus there is only so much one human can do by himself so if the damage is extensive his power to fix the damage would be limited. To me a FRAN makes more sense.

ShadowMaat
October 1st, 2008, 10:12 PM
I still say your best bet on that count is a Cylon Replicator sleeper agent- someone who's posing as a human and may, in fact, even believe s/he's human until getting activated. Although that could be a bit tricky seeing as they're unlikely to run into Replicators in the far depths of unknown and uncharted space.

But then again I think I thought the same thing about Atlantis. ;)

kymeric
October 2nd, 2008, 04:46 AM

The FRAN device has proven its reliability imho. The first one performed flawlessly and wiped out a direct threat to earth with zero problems, and the second FRAN saved the day at the cost of its own life even with its programming overwritten. And the IOA trusted replicators enough to use them in AoT I think its more than plausable that the IOA would assign their own replicator doomsday weapon on a mission to the Destiny.

coolguy55220
January 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Hey guys
Im pretty sure this is going to happen from the track record. There has always been an "alien" part of the team. Teal'c, Jonas, Ronan, Teyla, and in my opinion, they have been very vital parts of each show. Do you guys SGU will continue this trend? Do you think they would think about making a NONHUMAN character that alien character which is part of the team, or would that take away 2 much budget away?

Just wondering :), really excited about SGU, cant wait to see the female casts of the show, hopefully those are announced soon.

post away...

Flyboy
January 19th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I hate it. I really do.

I tend to side with Sergeant Bates and think that, (Teal'c excluded), aliens have no place being part of an SG team. Particularly when we consider that you can only join the US military if you're a US citizen. Letting a citizen of another bloody planet be part of an Earth military team? Hells no.

humanityspotential
January 19th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I hate it. I really do.

I tend to side with Sergeant Bates and think that, (Teal'c excluded), aliens have no place being part of an SG team. Particularly when we consider that you can only join the US military if you're a US citizen. Letting a citizen of another bloody planet be part of an Earth military team? Hells no.

With Atlantis they introduced the whole 'civilian' element so I didn't mind the 'alien' team members so much. What I didn't like was Teyla being given command of Atlantis etc. It's an Earth expedition, as if they would give a non Earth based member of personnel command.

The thing about all the alien characters in SG is they have been very human. Teal'c had different physiology but still looked human, the rest were basically humans.

So if they do introduce an 'alien' team member, I don't think they will be very nonhuman alien.

coolguy55220
January 19th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I hate it. I really do.

I agree with that part of it.. but i really liked having Ronon, Teal'c, Jonas being part of the team, teyla not so much. Im guessing they will add another one like that, because it adds more storylines.

E.D.E.N.
January 19th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Pretty sure I read an article on Gateworld recently saying they were not going to have an alien cast member. However, I am willing to bet they pick someone up off of some planet along the way at some point in time.

Alteran of Atlantis
January 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I kind of like the alien team members. You're in another galaxy, you're going to encounter beings who may be a bit curious about you and want to know more. Plus, they could add something to the team, like knowledge of the new galaxy or planet. Not saying it's always good to have an alien team member, but there are advantages.

Boon
January 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I think that covers the "short answer" portion of my post. Here is why.

it's so unrealistic it's not funny. yes in SG-1 Teal'c's journey to becoming a full fledged team member was a key story arc and it got the proper amount of storytelling where the guys in charge were against it and he had to prove himself at every turn. EVERY turn. Jonas had to jump through hoops for O'neill for a while (which was nice but it didn't erase the fact he was Daniel 2.0) as part of the new guy hazing, but Ronan and teyla just rocked up, grabbed some gear and everyone stepped through the gate holding hands as if it was the most natural thing in the world to have whoever the hell wants to join the front line team. Makes no sense whatsoever. none. Besides it's military, they tend to be exclusionary...

No aliens on teams. they can be on the ship and loiter about the place for all I care, even join the odd mission as a native with local info and such but none as permanent team members.

Colonel Mitchell
January 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I can see them adding Teyla because at the time the Atlantis team needed as many people as possible because they were short staffed. But in Ronon's case it was just like "He's tough and I need a team member. Wanna Join?"

coolguy55220
January 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I dont really mind adding Ronon as much as many of u guys... They were in a new galaxy, his race was wiped out, he was a runner and very good at getting away from wraith. It was a little sudden for him to get accepted as part of the team, but i suppose thats because they needed to trust each other in a whole new galaxy. Atlantis was also self maintained, meaning majority of the time, the base controlled itself, didnt need permission from external sources like SG1.

Blistna
January 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hey guys
Im pretty sure this is going to happen from the track record. There has always been an "alien" part of the team. Teal'c, Jonas, Ronan, Teyla, and in my opinion, they have been very vital parts of each show. Do you guys SGU will continue this trend? Do you think they would think about making a NONHUMAN character that alien character which is part of the team, or would that take away 2 much budget away?

Just wondering :), really excited about SGU, cant wait to see the female casts of the show, hopefully those are announced soon.

post away...

I believe that something that would be unique, is that every season we have a new "alien" person -- and sometimes they turn on us. I mean, it would be cool to have a guest star for that season. And maybe at some point, they will have someone who will be there full time...but I somehow doubt it.

But you'll never know!

SG-18
January 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Unless the writers can guarantee another teal'c like character ( in the sense of development) then no way.

jenks
January 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I would rather there wasn't one, the show would be more interesting in my eyes if the characters have to find out things for themselves about their new surroundings rather than have a convenient alien character there to spoon feed them information.

Inquisitor
January 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Teyla would have been added because she acted like a diplomat and had connections with other races which was needed in season 1 (Underground is a good example, although it went wrong..)

Ronon replaced Ford, and brought superior fighting skills and was ex-military.

I don't see a problem with either.

What I didn't like was Teyla being given command of Atlantis etc. It's an Earth expedition, as if they would give a non Earth based member of personnel command.

I don't see a problem with that either. Telya is an experienced leader. She knows how run things and motivate people. Perhaps no one else was up to the task, or Weir didn't trust anyone else with the task of running things.

I guess you could sort of link this with a coalition between two political parties.
The leader is the leader of the biggest party, and the deputy leader is the leader of the other party.

jenks
January 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
With Atlantis they introduced the whole 'civilian' element so I didn't mind the 'alien' team members so much. What I didn't like was Teyla being given command of Atlantis etc. It's an Earth expedition, as if they would give a non Earth based member of personnel command.

The thing about all the alien characters in SG is they have been very human. Teal'c had different physiology but still looked human, the rest were basically humans.

So if they do introduce an 'alien' team member, I don't think they will be very nonhuman alien.

I didn't like that either, not believable at all.

carno
January 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
ok Teyla and Ronon had different circumstances than Teal'c and Jonas. SGC was closely run by the US government and the USAF. Atlantis was an Earth expedition run by non military IOA personal, plus Atlantis staff were from all over Earth and more likely to accept someone from a different culture.... they are all human anyway.

I bet the "alien" character will be an android or replicator created by the ancients to maintain the Destiny and will already be on the ship and it will cause drama and also help translate for the team and eventually become accepted after many trails.

L1A1Rocker
January 19th, 2009, 10:45 PM
It has been standard U.S. practice to include indigenous peoples when conducting foreign ops.

walter999
January 20th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I hate it. I really do.

>you can only join the US military if you're a US citizen
completely false.
No personal offence,
but your statement is a bit of insult to those immigrant sodiers, who are serving in Iraq and Afgans...and sometimes sacrifcing their lives.
(and what they get after serving is a Green Card, not citizenship...though they can get one later...)

There were a lot of immigrant soldiers in the US army during Civil War...
and during 19 century, it was rare but not unprecidented a military attaché fighting along with the unit he was "attached..."

I just thought...you know, you should know there ARE soldiers who are not the US citizens who still fight in the Army, and some of whom died in Iraq and Afgan...

Flyboy
January 20th, 2009, 04:33 AM
>you can only join the US military if you're a US citizen
completely false.
No personal offence,
but your statement is a bit of insult to those immigrant sodiers, who are serving in Iraq and Afgans...and sometimes sacrifcing their lives.
(and what they get after serving is a Green Card, not citizenship...though they can get one later...)

There were a lot of immigrant soldiers in the US army during Civil War...
and during 19 century, it was rare but not unprecidented a military attaché fighting along with the unit he was "attached..."

I just thought...you know, you should know there ARE soldiers who are not the US citizens who still fight in the Army, and some of whom died in Iraq and Afgan...
So are you telling me that I, a British citizen, could, should I choose, join the USAF?

I mean now, not after spending 10 years living in America.

If you are, then I will stand corrected.

Enlistment into the U.S. Air Force by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigrations and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551, commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 27; meet the mental, moral and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently

jenks
January 20th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Loads of nationalities can join the British Army, pretty much anyone from a commonwealth nation + Ireland I believe...

jelgate
January 20th, 2009, 07:00 AM
So are you telling me that I, a British citizen, could, should I choose, join the USAF?I mean now, not after spending 10 years living in America.If you are, then I will stand corrected.Well it takes about 8 years to become a US citizen. What I gather from reading the USAF FAQ is you can join the US military if you have the legal documentation to prove you are a legal immigrant.

Flyboy
January 20th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Well it takes about 8 years to become a US citizen. What I gather from reading the USAF FAQ is you can join the US military if you have the legal documentation to prove you are a legal immigrant.
Indeed. But being a legal immigrant is different to me as a Brit signing onto join the USAF. Maybe my technical langauge of citizenship and what not isn't fully correct. But what I do know is that you cannot just rock up from another country and sign on.

Jenks; Regarding the British military, the situation is as follows, and this is one that I can definitely comment without question on:

For Entry into the Armed Forces you must meet the following nationality conditions:

a. At all times since birth to have been a British, or Commonwealth citizen or an Irish national.

b. To have been born in the UK or a country or territory which is (or was then) within the Commonwealth, or Ireland.

Note: A waiver of the above requirements may be granted by the Secretary of State for Defence for candidates who are British or Commonwealth citizens or citizens of Ireland at the time of application regardless of place of birth or former nationality. Any person who seeks such a dispensation will have their case considered on it's individual merits.

c. For some specialist employments within the Armed Forces, it is necessary for you to have been a British citizen for at least 10 years and for both parents to have been born in a country of territory which is (or was then) within the Commonwealth or in Ireland, and to have always been Commonwealth citizens of citizens of Ireland.

Which again, does not constitute someone from a non Commomwealth nation (we regard that as being as good as being British it seems) arriving in Britain and signing up.

magictrick
January 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Well to get back on topic...I think from what has been released so far about SGU all the main characters at this point will be from Earth so no aliens on the horizon.

Goauld System Lord
January 27th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I say that we should have a non-human crew member on the team. The alien members of Stargate (and many other sci-fi franchises) have always served as a "mirror" to humanity, showing our strengths and weaknesses.

:tealc: :jonas: :vala: :teyla: :ronan:

haloplayer
January 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I believe Americans have to give up being Americans (there citizenship) if they join a foreign army. So i dont think Brits can just join the US Military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_citizenship#Loss_of_citizenship

However i dont know the rules of the Brits, so its possible they can still remain British while being apart of another Countries Military but i doubt that.

Replicator Todd
January 27th, 2009, 02:21 PM
If the aliens in SGU are not supposed to be English-speaking I don't see how an alien member could join the team.

jenks
January 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Translator technology.

the fifth man
January 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Pretty sure I read an article on Gateworld recently saying they were not going to have an alien cast member. However, I am willing to bet they pick someone up off of some planet along the way at some point in time.

I think that is pretty likely too. Maybe towards the end of Season 1, or early on in Season 2.

PG15
January 27th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Well, English is not the only problem; any alien life out there wouldn't even be humanoid (and the farther we stay away from forehead aliens, the better); it'd be either CGI, or puppetry; both of which could look like crap and cost a lot of money.

I think maybe they can circumvent this problem by getting onboard an electronic form of life, and have it basically live in the ship's computer. This way, you can have alien-ness without breaking the budget; the alien could study the computer to find a way to communicate with us in English (or Ancient).

Stargate Steve
January 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I think that is pretty likely too. Maybe towards the end of Season 1, or early on in Season 2.

ITA. Hopefully they can put an interesting spin on the situation for joining the team or the background of the alien. Maybe a lizard man/droid named Smarlic that eats stargates or something? ;)

Ed
January 28th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I believe Americans have to give up being Americans (there citizenship) if they join a foreign army. So i dont think Brits can just join the US Military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_citizenship#Loss_of_citizenship

However i dont know the rules of the Brits, so its possible they can still remain British while being apart of another Countries Military but i doubt that.
With UK it depends what country

I think having an alien as a secondry character would be good about as prominant as zelenka or lorne but not if its a forehead alien no way.

like how they had hermiod on the deadalus

Metonic
January 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hey guys

post away...

I liked Teal'c and Jonas... Ronan was alright, Teyla died after 5 episodes and was a dissappointment, outside of stargate she was attractive in stargate just for somereason not attractive, always a different character.

But i agree.. aliens can work i nthe labs but keep it human for a while.

YutheGreat
January 29th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I like Teal'c. The rest were less than important and unappealing. Fact is they didn't feel as alien. We saw no culture, no special abilities, no background at all. I guess just because we call them aliens doesn't mean that they are.

For SGU to have an alien to be on Destiny after all this time either he is a Wraith or Replicator. Unless they want to pick up a Neelix.

mathfun
January 29th, 2009, 09:57 AM
According to Teal'c the galaxy was seeded by the people from earth, so they are not really aliens. Now we could have the Senator's daughter as being the Senator's stepdaughter since her mother had an alien abduction with one of the Asgard, maybe Loci, and was... well you know, experimented on. Bingo-- the daughter.

paulanthony
January 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Well i would like to see a 'Lost Tribe Asgard' as part of the team aboard the destiny or at least involved in the discovery of it and the 9th chevron.

jelgate
January 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Well i would like to see a 'Lost Tribe Asgard' as part of the team aboard the destiny or at least involved in the discovery of it and the 9th chevron.

Kind of hard when they want to perform genetic experiments on us

YutheGreat
January 29th, 2009, 06:57 PM
According to Teal'c the galaxy was seeded by the people from earth, so they are not really aliens. Now we could have the Senator's daughter as being the Senator's stepdaughter since her mother had an alien abduction with one of the Asgard, maybe Loci, and was... well you know, experimented on. Bingo-- the daughter.

Yes the Jaffa were originally human but they have been modified. They've developed a culture, language, weapons, technology that differs them from us. So I still call them alien. The Jaffa gave us a number of story arcs that made us want to watch SG-1.

Birthright
Redemption
The Warrior
Into the Fire
Teal'c personal life
etc.

Look at Teyla after first few episodes season what do we know about Athosians. What great storyline did they give.
Same for Ronon. Aside from Sateda nothing

aweeasian
January 31st, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hey guys

post away...

Hopefully not. Having an alien on the team is a cliche of many sci-fi shows, such as Star Trek. They never add anything to the show, because most of the time they're emotionless characters that are only there because...well...they're aliens.

If they stayed away from that I would be eternally greatful. Let's avoid some cliches people!

corey2002
February 3rd, 2009, 09:40 PM
there probobly wont be one. tealc's function for the first few seasons at least was to give the sgc info on the goa'uld, as teyla's was the same with the wraith, but because the destiny seeds many galaxys, they may move out of range of an enemy too quickly to require one person with knowledge of individual bad guy species-i think TPTB's fix will be an andromeda-like AI, tho i personaly hope they dont do that

HorizonSurfer
February 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
I'm leaning toward hoping that they don't introduce an alien character as part of the team. Mainly because it's become almost a standard thing in all these types of series. Not just SG1 and SG:A either.

ciannwn
February 4th, 2009, 12:54 AM
]I say that we should have a non-human crew member on the team. The alien members of Stargate (and many other sci-fi franchises) have always served as a "mirror" to humanity, showing our strengths and weaknesses.[/B] :

This was one of Voyager's more interesting aspects. Two of the main characters were the Hologram Doctor and Seven Of Nine, an ex Borg. Both of them allowed the writers to explore the question of what is it to be human. BSG has used the Cylons for the same purpose.

SG1 had Teal'c who played the role of other Star Trek aliens. He was the means by which the writers were able to give information about Jaffa culture and history and the Jaffa had their own story within the Stargate universe.

Spimman
March 17th, 2009, 07:30 AM
At what point in the show do you think the SGU team will come in contact with an alien race?

It seems like the first part of the show could just be them getting to the ship and figuring out how to survive. At some point they'll meet an alien species (friend or foe) and we'll go from there.

reddevil18
March 17th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Episode 12 - "Alien".

jelgate
March 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
the pilot. I expect to solve the "Air" problem we will have to go offworld

Spimman
March 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I was kind of thinking the episode Earth might be the one, but a 3-hour premier with no off-world interaction to kick of a new galaxy and series does seem unlikely.

jackson2009
March 17th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Who know!

jenks
March 17th, 2009, 09:47 AM
They'll definitely encounter aliens, whether they'll 'meet' them or not is another matter.

Butlersgate
March 17th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Episode 12 - "Alien".

where did you find out the name of that episode? it isn't in gateworlds list of SGU episodes

jackson2009
March 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM
"Alien" ?

reddevil18
March 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
where did you find out the name of that episode? it isn't in gateworlds list of SGU episodesI'm Robert Carlyle.

Darkstar 2.0
March 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM
They'll probably meet them in the episode "Attrition" perhaps?

Butlersgate
March 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I'm Robert Carlyle.

very funny, your response speaks for itself about the kind of person you are. you must be so proud to be an upright human being

shockwave
March 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM
maybe we'd also have an episode named "Predator" :)

reddevil18
March 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
very funny, your response speaks for itself about the kind of person you are. you must be so proud to be an upright human beingYup. Nothing makes me happier than being a biped with no back problems.

SGFerrit
March 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM
very funny, your response speaks for itself about the kind of person you are. you must be so proud to be an upright human being

I think it was just a joke man... Chill.

Butlersgate
March 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I think it was just a joke man... Chill.

he could of still answered my question

reddevil18
March 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
he could of still answered my question I did. I just thought you'd figure out I was joking from the get-go. The Robert Carlyle thing should've sealed the deal.

MathiasE
March 17th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Lets see, we made contact with alien cultures in the pilot of both SG-1 and SGA, something tells me we will make contact in the pilot of SGU as well, doubt we will see them wandering around the ship for an entire episode.

Butlersgate
March 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I did. I just thought you'd figure out I was joking from the get-go. The Robert Carlyle thing should've sealed the deal.

looks like you caught me on a bad day then

Spimman
March 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Lets see, we made contact with alien cultures in the pilot of both SG-1 and SGA, something tells me we will make contact in the pilot of SGU as well, doubt we will see them wandering around the ship for an entire episode.

Good point. That actually makes a lot of sense. :cameron:

I did. I just thought you'd figure out I was joking from the get-go. The Robert Carlyle thing should've sealed the deal.

I thought it was funny, but without all of the complaining about the reply I'm not sure I would have laughed quite as hard and for that I owe a thanks to the Butler of Stargate.

FoX-1028
March 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
The Stargate Series always meet his enemy at the first episode... 3 hours!
P.S.
Will Stargate Universe show the SGC at the first episode?

jenks
March 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM
P.S.

I doubt it's going to be that type of show.

jackson2009
March 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I am doubt too Jen. But if they failed?

chevron670
March 17th, 2009, 04:29 PM
P.S.

im not sure didnt they say the team was already off world like the alpha site or somthing and they get attacked and they go through the gate to the destiny

i wonder how long it will take for gateworld to make smilies for the SGU characters:bow:

Phenom
March 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
They already have met their enemy......SyFy!!!! :)

I wonder how long before they meet their maker at the hands of this dastardly foe.

E.D.E.N.
March 17th, 2009, 08:52 PM
he could of still answered my question

No offense, and I say that because I hope there's room for testosterone in your system, but this is the wrong place to pull out your ovaries even though I am sure they cost a bundle to have them put in. You can't hold other people responsible for awnsering a question you didn't ask them directly, and I am positive just because you ask a question doesn't make all those in earshot responsible for appeasing your curiousity, I think they call that "Special Ed". If you want to learn, utilise the material, and if it doesn't work for you create a thread or look one up. Sometimes simply participating in a thread can eventually awnser questions, if you don't have the patience, then maybe learn how to ascend then you won't need the awnsers, they will finally be automatically provided for you, just like you expect!

Aewon
March 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Not necessarily. Let's use... Nintendo consoles for a lack of a better example... "The N64 and the GC are both pretty similar, with 3D graphics and almost identical gameplay. So, the Wii have got to be very similar, right? Right?":p I do believe that they'll go off-world, but seeing as this is the third series and they have said that they want it to be different we shouldn't put much weight on what have happened in previous Stargate shows.

But I do hope they keep the build-up to the season finale (probably, as it will be more story-driven) and the alien, but I think they should make him/her/it REALLY alien. What I'd like to see is a cross between the tripedal aliens in War of the Worlds and the Vorlons; well, basically a tripedal alien with a Vorlon personality. Furthermore, I'd like him to be believed to be the last of a race that is more than a billion years old that have been slowly dying out for the last million years (old age, I suppose:p) and he/she/it joins the crew aboard the Destiny in hope of finding other remnants of his/her/its specie, which he/she/it still think is out there, somewhere.

jackson2009
March 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I really want to see new alien races..not same over and over! :-)

nx01a
March 18th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Mid-season 2 parter. Perfect place to introduce an important alien race / enemy.

Eternal Density
March 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
... awnsering ... curiousity, ... awnser ... awnsers, ...It is always wise to check one's spelling before being critical of another's behaviour. (Or behavior, depending on location.)

As for the meeting of aliens, I doubt they will be an important part of the pilot as that seems to be focused on other issues. I expect there will be some sort of encounter within the first six episodes, but nothing quite on the scale of our initial altercations with the Wraith and Goa'uld.
Alien plant life is likely to be sooner, but plants aren't exactly 'met'. Or are they? You never know...

jenks
March 18th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Mid-season 2 parter. Perfect place to introduce an important alien race / enemy.

I seriously doubt it.

Spimman
March 20th, 2009, 07:06 AM

I don't think they'll wait that long, but they could introduce and new enemy or ally at that time.

Togaman
June 15th, 2009, 05:52 AM
SG-1 and SG-A both introduced an alien regular in their premiere episodes. I didn't see one listed on the cast list, so how long do you think it will be before they come across some alien that goes along for the ride?

Coronach
June 15th, 2009, 07:00 AM
SG-1 and SG-A both introduced an alien regular in their premiere episodes. I didn't see one listed on the cast list, so how long do you think it will be before they come across some alien that goes along for the ride?

I'm thinking this won't happen, as I think TPTB have stated they are going for non-humanoid aliens this time around. I think they want to make a change away from the English-speaking humans week in and week out.

Specter177
June 15th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Technically, there was no alien regular on SGA, as both Teyla and Ronon are human. But as an answer to your original question, no, I don't think there will be a regular 'alien' character. Recurring possibly, like how Todd was recurring.

Inquisitor
June 15th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Maybe one of the main will die and will be replaced by an alien. Or maybe an alien is already working with them and goes through, but this alien is human-like so you don't notice, however, is planned to become main later on.

Wib
June 15th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I'm thinking this won't happen, as I think TPTB have stated they are going for non-humanoid aliens this time around. I think they want to make a change away from the English-speaking humans week in and week out.

:indeed:

Galactic Lego
June 15th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Everyone knows that the ancients created all life in the mw blah blah but the english speaking aliens have a lesser know explination too. in the movie STARGATE the team wasnt able to speak the language becaus they had a jurt rigged DHD. The orginal DHDs affect you brain when you travel through a stargate with a DHD you can understand the languages of the planet you are going to. The only thing i did not get about this was you couldnt understand gould. So if the destiny has a DHD then they should be able to understand most of the aliens in SGU. Of corse this probably wont happen.

GateFanSamJack
June 15th, 2009, 08:35 AM
They should leave the aliens where they find them if they aren't in a place long enough to figure out everyone's agendas.

Of course, any gremlins were already on the ship so they can be recurring across seasons. (I know there's no such thing as gremlins, but just let me pretend.)

jenks
June 15th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Technically, there was no alien regular on SGA, as both Teyla and Ronon are human. But as an answer to your original question, no, I don't think there will be a regular 'alien' character. Recurring possibly, like how Todd was recurring.

Being an alien has nothing to do with your species, it's about where you're from. Ronon and Teyla were both aliens, relative to the expedition anyway.

Nightfighter89
June 15th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Everyone knows that the ancients created all life in the mw blah blah but the english speaking aliens have a lesser know explination too. in the movie STARGATE the team wasnt able to speak the language becaus they had a jurt rigged DHD. The orginal DHDs affect you brain when you travel through a stargate with a DHD you can understand the languages of the planet you are going to. The only thing i did not get about this was you couldnt understand gould. So if the destiny has a DHD then they should be able to understand most of the aliens in SGU.

That would be the stupidest thing I have ever read on this forum if it weren't for your previous comment about how sound travels faster in space due to lack of air resistance. The prior being more inexcusable seeing as it dealt with real life physics, not just stuff in the fictional Stargate world.

captain simms
June 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Everyone knows that the ancients created all life in the mw blah blah but the english speaking aliens have a lesser know explination too. in the movie STARGATE the team wasnt able to speak the language becaus they had a jurt rigged DHD. The orginal DHDs affect you brain when you travel through a stargate with a DHD you can understand the languages of the planet you are going to. The only thing i did not get about this was you couldnt understand gould. So if the destiny has a DHD then they should be able to understand most of the aliens in SGU. Of corse this probably wont happen.

i think your thinking of the TARDIS seeing as it has never ever been stated that the DHD had that effect on anyone

AK89
June 15th, 2009, 10:18 AM

What in the hell are you talking about? That's definitely NOT how things work.

capricaabydos
June 15th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I think there should be aliens on sgu otherwise it will just serve as a replacement for bsg which was good but I was hoping to see some replicators in sgu maybe the ones that were left in outer space in sga episode "ghost in the machine"

Puddle-Jumper
June 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Well given the distances that the destiny will be moving along will that even be possible??

SG1Commander
June 15th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Could Teal'c be consider an alien? The Jaffa are really an offshoot of humanity, that the goa'uld genetically engineered.

Coronach
June 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Could Teal'c be consider an alien? The Jaffa are really an offshoot of humanity, that the goa'uld genetically engineered.

Absolutely. It is even mentioned several times in episodes (i.e. Marin Lloyd saying to him something like "so...you're the alien?").

Also, as Jenks said, being an alien has nothing to do with what species you are. Teyla and Ronon were "aliens" in the sense that they were not humans from Earth. They were alien with respect to the main expedition from Earth.

Stormtrooper
June 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
That would be the stupidest thing I have ever read on this forum if it weren't for your previous comment about how sound travels faster in space due to lack of air resistance. The prior being more inexcusable seeing as it dealt with real life physics, not just stuff in the fictional Stargate world.

More stupid than aliens in at least three galaxies speaking perfect English? If anything, the universal language should be Latin, not English, that is, unless there's some sort of universal translator at work.

strods
June 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
First of all, no I don't think there will be a 'token alien' at least not Season 1. If they do, my guess is some form of 'artificial life form' ie hologram interface of the Destiny's computer.

Yes I know this would be fairly ST:VOY Doctor-ish, but it would nicely solve how an "alien" could survive on an isolated ship for millions of years. At it would serve as a great guide/teacher for running the ship, especially for a crew who "shouldn't be there" and thus has knowledge gaps.

Eternal Density
June 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
In my understanding of the 'Revealed Knowledge' there won't be humanoid aliens. Someone might keep something as a pet, but that doesn't really count as a recurring character.
About what an 'alien' is: using the most inclusive definition of the word, you could classify the Russians (in SG-1) as aliens because they're not from the USA. Well, maybe Jack O'Neill would see it that way :P

Coronach
June 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
In my understanding of the 'Revealed Knowledge' there won't be humanoid aliens. Someone might keep something as a pet, but that doesn't really count as a recurring character.
About what an 'alien' is: using the most inclusive definition of the word, you could classify the Russians (in SG-1) as aliens because they're not from the USA. Well, maybe Jack O'Neill would see it that way :P

Indeed. It really has to do with what frame of reference you're using.

Eternal Density
June 15th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Indeed. It really has to do with what frame of reference you're using.Aaaaaaahhh! I'm surrounded by aliens!!!
Hmm, I only know of one person who was born in the same hospital as me (on the same day, no less) and I've only seen that person once briefly in the last fifteen years and before that I'm too young to remember. Everyone else is a alien, as far as I know :P
(on the other hand, said person is female, which is rather alien to me :P)
(no offense intended except to myself :D)

Everlovin
June 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM

In defence of this theory, this is similar to what JM has stated on his blog that he theorized what happens whenever people ask him why everybody speaks English.

As to the topic, I think that one of the great things about space-based type of SciFi is the aliens. I sincerely hope that at some point there will be an alien regular.

tgomerski
June 15th, 2009, 06:51 PM

WTF?? the DHD has nothing to do with that!!, everyone speaks English because its easier for the writers/viewers!! the only thing the DHD is used for is dialling up the gate for travel, and that's all!!!:mckay:

lmoroney
June 15th, 2009, 10:18 PM

Hmmmm....I'm Irish, which in the US is considered an 'Alien'.

I'll take a role. Just a recurring one. Don't need more than that! Honest. And I don't live too far from Bridge either.

:)

Laurence
:cameron:

Jack_Bauer
June 16th, 2009, 02:02 AM

wow...

Just...wow...

runnerX
June 16th, 2009, 03:20 AM
You just made that up because this has to be the stupidest explanation ever. The DHD and the stargate are just for travel they don't teach you languages.

Phenom
June 16th, 2009, 03:52 AM

Grasp of the English language - FAIL!!
Knowledge of Stargate - FAIL!!!
Ability to .... aaah you get the idea.

Rac80
June 16th, 2009, 05:08 AM
First of all, no I don't think there will be a 'token alien' at least not Season 1. If they do, my guess is some form of 'artificial life form' ie hologram interface of the Destiny's computer.

Yes I know this would be fairly ST:VOY Doctor-ish, but it would nicely solve how an "alien" could survive on an isolated ship for millions of years. At it would serve as a great guide/teacher for running the ship, especially for a crew who "shouldn't be there" and thus has knowledge gaps.

I agree I am betting the "alien" will be AI holocreature from the ship's computer who will "advise" them.

btw- if you want to get technical the Atlantis Expedition humans were the "aliens" in the Pegasus Galaxy.

Lahela
June 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
btw- if you want to get technical the Atlantis Expedition humans were the "aliens" in the Pegasus Galaxy.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/lahela_sga/smilies/ronon%20smilies/indeed.gif :)

MartianManhunter
June 16th, 2009, 11:27 AM

This is the absolute funniest thing I have ever read on the internet. Your wrong of course, but I still got a heck of a laugh out of it.

Eternal Density
June 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I think we've had enough replies to Galactic Lego. Can we get over it and move on? (btw, I have seen similar theories before, but I prefer to stick with the 'English is convenient' explanation and ignore the problem entirely.)

Phenom
June 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I think we've had enough replies to Galactic Lego. Can we get over it and move on? (btw, I have seen similar theories before, but I prefer to stick with the 'English is convenient' explanation and ignore the problem entirely.)

But I just finished my new website www.galacticlegoinsanecomment.com

I did it in honour of possibly the funniest comment in the history of Gateworld. These comments don't come along every day so we need to appreciate them when they do.

way to be a spoil sport. :)

Deevil
June 16th, 2009, 11:19 PM
More stupid than aliens in at least three galaxies speaking perfect English? If anything, the universal language should be Latin, not English, that is, unless there's some sort of universal translator at work.

Why would the universal language be Latin? Latin is not by any means a universal language, it's just one of the building blocks of the English language - which is also not a universal language...

As for why all the humanoid aliens spoke English... it was just a cheat so we could have quick communication. Otherwise we would spend half of a damned episode learning how to communicate with the aliens, and that would get tiresome after a while to watch.

PG15
June 16th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I think he wanted Latin because that was basically what the Ancients spoke, and they're our ancestors.

Catalin
June 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I apologize if this thread had been discused before, but the list is way to long to go tru..

I was hoping to get your atention in a matter of curiosity: who will atack Icarus? I'll have a theory.. as SGC was looking for secondary sites out of goa'uld ocupied teritory.. they ended up building it near the Ashcen Federation teritory.. in a nutt-shell, i think the ashcen will atack Icarus!
What do you guys think?

kymeric
June 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Canadians...

Dark lord me
June 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Without Canadians there would be no Stargate the show or in the Stargate universe no Atlantis expedition

escyos
June 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM
its a general concensus that the aschen were somewhat destroyed or weakened by dialling a black hole planet. seems reasonable that they are one of the few enemies with a means of exacting revenge but as i remeber they dont have hyperspace capabilities and we know that a 304 cant hold this mystery enemy back so the aschen have come along way in a few years.

i have this sneaking suspicion that the ship is actually an automated ancient ship that is programmed to make sure no one ever dials the ninth chevron...or maybe the furlings...which i assume were actually evil and maniacly laughed a lot

Thunder Hawk
June 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Canadians...
:( "grabs hockey stick"

Jack_Bauer
June 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
its a general concensus that the aschen were somewhat destroyed or weakened by dialling a black hole planet. seems reasonable that they are one of the few enemies with a means of exacting revenge but as i remeber they dont have hyperspace capabilities and we know that a 304 cant hold this mystery enemy back so the aschen have come along way in a few years.
i have this sneaking suspicion that the ship is actually an automated ancient ship that is programmed to make sure no one ever dials the ninth chevron...or maybe the furlings...which i assume were actually evil and maniacly laughed a lot

We don't know this for sure, all we know is that a 304 will make an appearance in the pilot. It may be that the 304 shows up to defend the base too late (ie after the Icarus base personnel have dialled the ninth chevron and transported to Destiny). The 304 could then beat back the attackers and reclaim Icarus.

All of this is speculation on my part however and you may be right that the 304 gets it's fanny whooped. However I believe that if the writers show how strong Earth is at the beginning it will serve to emphasise the plight of the Destiny team who are cut off from these vast resources of Ancient and Asgard knowledge.

schlemmbot
June 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I heard the enemy that attacks Icarus is an alternate reality group of system lords. -highlight to see text.

Pandora's_Box
June 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Canadians...

With beer, Timbits, and hockey pucks.

And we'll win, eh.

escyos
June 19th, 2009, 10:02 PM
We don't know this for sure, all we know is that a 304 will make an appearance in the pilot. It may be that the 304 shows up to defend the base too late (ie after the Icarus base personnel have dialled the ninth chevron and transported to Destiny). The 304 could then beat back the attackers and reclaim Icarus.

All of this is speculation on my part however and you may be right that the 304 gets it's fanny whooped. However I believe that if the writers show how strong Earth is at the beginning it will serve to emphasise the plight of the Destiny team who are cut off from these vast resources of Ancient and Asgard knowledge.

no 304 in orbit eh? even though there is an IOA rep there and a senator(i think) after the last IOA excursion offworld i doubt they would ever go offworld without a 304 in orbit.

beside i dont actually think our ships are that advanced, sure we have hypderdrive, beam weapons etc but EVERY time the shield is hit something inside explodes and a crew member dives out of the way...doesnt happen in goauld ships just a little rumbling and vibrations.

(oh and i know - "its so the shield arent so powerful" etc etc, thats not my point here)

major davis
June 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I apologize if this thread had been discused before, but the list is way to long to go tru..

I was hoping to get your atention in a matter of curiosity: who will atack Icarus? I'll have a theory.. as SGC was looking for secondary sites out of goa'uld ocupied teritory.. they ended up building it near the Ashcen Federation teritory.. in a nutt-shell, i think the ashcen will atack Icarus!
What do you guys think?

Ha I asked one of the lighting guys working on SGU and he had no clue, says he doesn't pay attention to that stuff. I know who actually, pm me if you want to know. I have proof too.

TheReturnOfTheLantian
June 20th, 2009, 12:37 AM
in the promo i thought i saw a wraith

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4765/69352034.th.jpg (http://img197.imageshack.us/i/69352034.jpg/)

Betelgeuze
June 20th, 2009, 12:45 AM
The Jaffa.

hotz69
June 20th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I thought it was said it was the Lucian Allience

latvian_stargatefan
June 20th, 2009, 01:18 AM
http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/2009/01/sgu-new-recurring-character-adds-more-conflict/

It was posted before all the trailers and seeing the first trailers it makes a lot of sense.

It says that the "Icarus" base is attacked by Ha'taks (and people think it's the Lucian Allience).
It makes sense because if these would be Wraith, they'd go for Earth not some off-world base. If they were Jaffa, it would make even less sense- I mean wth, they are like allies of ours... And alternate reality stuff they did in the last movie already...
But these guys are a smaller but nonetheless problem. They appear here and there and cause problems + they are technology hungry and would obviously want the technology and power source of "Icarus" base for themselves... They are no match for Jaffa Nation, Tok'ra and Earth alliance in open combat but can cause trouble here and there.

Catalin
June 20th, 2009, 01:33 AM
no 304 in orbit eh? even though there is an IOA rep there and a senator(i think) after the last IOA excursion offworld i doubt they would ever go offworld without a 304 in orbit.

beside i dont actually think our ships are that advanced, sure we have hypderdrive, beam weapons etc but EVERY time the shield is hit something inside explodes and a crew member dives out of the way...doesnt happen in goauld ships just a little rumbling and vibrations.

(oh and i know - "its so the shield arent so powerful" etc etc, thats not my point here)

MCKAY
Wait a minute. I've got an idea. How many ships do we have available?
CALDWELL
Aside from ourselves, there's the Apollo and the Sun Tzu.
SHEPPARD
How about the Odyssey?
CALDWELL
Mmm, it's on some secret mission even I'm not supposed to know about.

Maybe the Odyssey in orbit? I gues that the base gets atacked in the first place cause of some experiment on a powerful weapon.. and this makes me belive cause of the heavy presence on the base, IOA like, dr. Rush (evil dude definition) and high military&usaf presence in there..
..makes sense, briliant minds working on a weapon of mass destruction (the briliant mind has to be a lil evil too) like dr. Rush and the slacker guy..
..USAF and Military for protection and support
..IOA to keep an eye on the project.

I think they get a preemptive strike.. from ashcen.. or the canadians

Andru10
June 20th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Shouldn't a 304 be able to take out a couple of Ha'taks in a few minutes with the beam weapons ?

latvian_stargatefan
June 20th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Shouldn't a 304 be able to take out a couple of Ha'taks in a few minutes with the beam weapons ?
Yeah but we actually don't know when 304 arrived at the place. Maybe it was there all the time but maybe it missed the attack and arrived late?
Might be that attackers upgraded their ships with some stolen/bought/found technology and were able to resist more effectively. These people (possible attackers) I wrote about are very tech hungry and might have made a deal with Aschen or stolen something from Nox...

Wib
June 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM
They get attacked by Spaceballs, they need the atmosphere from the Base.:D

VSHARMA
June 20th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I think it can only be one of two aliens...........

1.) ALF

2.) Doctor Zoidberg

Detox
June 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM
The 304 that appears will either be the Odyssey or the General Hammond.

As all the others are out of commission.

Remember, this takes place shortly after Enemy at the Gate.

retiredat44
June 20th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Adria comes back, even though she acsended, she still is pissed and will attack..

:hallowed:

DesertFox2020
June 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM
She's locked in an eternal battle with Morgan LeFay isn't she?

General_Finley
June 20th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I'm going with it being the trust in sum upgraded ha'taks. that or The Jaffa and earth are finally at war, which would make a great show in itself.

death19
June 20th, 2009, 02:05 PM
The 304 that appears will either be the Odyssey or the General Hammond.

As all the others are out of commission.

Remember, this takes place shortly after Enemy at the Gate.

Then in my opinion it will most probably be the Odyssey as the General Hammond was not ready to fight the wraith ship, meaning it must be some way off completion as the Korolev was rushed into service in camelot suggesting that the General Hammond needs more work on it before its flight ready.

But this is all best guess.

lordofseas
June 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
She's locked in an eternal battle with Morgan LeFay isn't she?

It was a joke.

Meh, it'll be the ascended beings raining down fire towards the planet, in hope of destroying Dr. Rush.

No, I think it will either be some minor Goa'uld wanting revenge for displacing its authority over people, or some other deus ex machina we're supposed to believe.

Daeican
June 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I would wonder about the odessy being the 304 coming to the rescue. Isn't it supposed to be the ship that has the asgard's legacy on board. Seems to me it would be pointless to risk it on milk run, or to endanger what's left of the asgard race (the good one anyway) unless nothing else was available, and in enemy at the gate, they said they were rushing the General Hammond, but that it wouldn't be ready in time, that implies that it was close to completion.

Detox
June 20th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I would wonder about the odessy being the 304 coming to the rescue. Isn't it supposed to be the ship that has the asgard's legacy on board. Seems to me it would be pointless to risk it on milk run, or to endanger what's left of the asgard race (the good one anyway) unless nothing else was available, and in enemy at the gate, they said they were rushing the General Hammond, but that it wouldn't be ready in time, that implies that it was close to completion.

I'm sure the Asgard's database has long been transferred to a secure location on earth.

kymeric
June 20th, 2009, 04:45 PM
<3

Im kidding i luv canadians, im still not sold on hockey tho.

jelgate
June 20th, 2009, 04:49 PM
<3

Thats because despite it being their sport when is the last time the Candians have won the Cup:P

Pandora's_Box
June 20th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Thats because despite it being their sport when is the last time the Candians have won the Cup:P

It may be American teams that win, but those teams probably have more Canadian and Russian players than they do American.

So there. :p

schlemmbot
June 20th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I'm telling you guysits alternate reality system lords

Stormtrooper
June 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Why specify who's attacking anyway? Wouldn't it be much better if they just left it hanging?

If Icarus base is attacked by ****ty generic alien civilization a.k.a. Lucian Alliance that will probably ruin the whole episode for me.

Catalin
June 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Why specify who's attacking anyway? Wouldn't it be much better if they just left it hanging?

If Icarus base is attacked by ****ty generic alien civilization a.k.a. Lucian Alliance that will probably ruin the whole episode for me.

we are just guessing.. speculations.. for the fun of it..

andy tyler
June 20th, 2009, 10:21 PM
yeah we have beam weapons that can blow up a hive ship in three hits but they can't take on a couple of ha'taks? yeah right, i seriously doubt any # of ha'taks would stand up to a 304 unless they found some sneaky way to weaken the shields.

and even then, the Odyssey took like 10 hits from an Ori ship, so if the writers pull some BS and have the Odyssey attacked by 3 ha'taks and shields are already down to 60%, i'm going to switch to lifetime.

jenks
June 21st, 2009, 01:31 AM
I'd rather we didn't find out who was attacking to be honest, chances are it won't be important anyway.

P-90_177
June 21st, 2009, 02:09 AM
<3

Hockey is still better than that wussed out version of Rugby Americans play. :P

Anyway I would prefer it was an enemy that had a lot of menace to them. I mean the more of a pasting said enemy gives to us humans the more traumatised the team will be when they make their escape. In this show the more trauma the better. :P

rickie_dyce
June 21st, 2009, 02:55 AM
i think its safe to presume tht its a completely new alien race. In "enemy at the gates" Carter tells Shephard tht the Oddesey is on a secret mission tht she doenst even knw about, i think this must b referring to the icarus base and dialling the 9th chevron. Since the oddesey is the most advanced ship in our fleet this enemy must be extremely poweful. Since the threat of the Ori is over i think they can use the asgard core and therfore use the beam weapons so if tht enemy can take a beating from them and still win, they must b pretty powerful

TrueLordOfNetu
June 21st, 2009, 04:50 AM
What about the Reetou? If they showed up with an invisible, untouchable ship we wouldn't stand a chance. I very much doubt anyone would think to scale up the TERs for ship use.

Stormtrooper
June 21st, 2009, 06:10 AM
But the Reetou are pretty much a peaceful race, and now that the Goa'uld are gone for the most part, what's the point of targeting the Tau'ri?

Vladius
June 21st, 2009, 06:20 AM
I hope it will be those alternate-universe types seen in Atlantis. The Borg/Orc looking things.

TrueLordOfNetu
June 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM
But the Reetou are pretty much a peaceful race, and now that the Goa'uld are gone for the most part, what's the point of targeting the Tau'ri?

It's not impossible that the base is on one of their planets and what we're doing there is pissing them off. I very much doubt that it will be the case but as I said, it's not impossible.

latvian_stargatefan
June 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM
i think its safe to presume tht its a completely new alien race. In "enemy at the gates" Carter tells Shephard tht the Oddesey is on a secret mission tht she doenst even knw about, i think this must b referring to the icarus base and dialling the 9th chevron. Since the oddesey is the most advanced ship in our fleet this enemy must be extremely poweful. Since the threat of the Ori is over i think they can use the asgard core and therfore use the beam weapons so if tht enemy can take a beating from them and still win, they must b pretty powerful

Enemy didn't win- it just deployed the troops on the planet that wanted to retake the base and as there was a threat that the base will be overrun, they dialed Earth but Dr. Rush didn't want to waste the project and, as they already knew they can go there, dialed 9th chevron address instead.

Enemy ran away from 304. We didn't lose. And the ship was on a secret mission- we don't even know if it was this time or previous one... and whether or not it was the "Icarus'' mission

Nightfighter89
June 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM
yeah we have beam weapons that can blow up a hive ship in three hits but they can't take on a couple of ha'taks? yeah right, i seriously doubt any # of ha'taks would stand up to a 304 unless they found some sneaky way to weaken the shields.

and even then, the Odyssey took like 10 hits from an Ori ship, so if the writers pull some BS and have the Odyssey attacked by 3 ha'taks and shields are already down to 60%, i'm going to switch to lifetime.

:jack_new_anime06: Ditto bro, ditto.

runnerX
June 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
But I just finished my new website www.galacticlegoinsanecomment.com (http://www.galacticlegoinsanecomment.com)

I did it in honour of possibly the funniest comment in the history of Gateworld. These comments don't come along every day so we need to appreciate them when they do.

way to be a spoil sport. :)
good one :lol:

Col. Matarrese
June 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM

Makes you wonder if the people who designed these ships had ever heard of fuses...

capricaabydos
June 23rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Maybe the wraith or the aliens we saw on SGA eps:the daedalus variation they looked pretty roughed and not friendly at all

schlemmbot
June 23rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
alternate reality RA.

Nightfighter89
June 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Maybe the wraith or the aliens we saw on SGA eps:the daedalus variation they looked pretty roughed and not friendly at all

I for one, would like to see more of them. I doubt it will happen though. They could have been a new enemy is upcoming seasons of Atlantis had it not been canceled.

MechaThor
June 26th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I very much doubt we will see the base attackers to ensure new fans don't need the backstory of who they are, and to help keep Universe with its own mythology and cultural style.

However it might be a nice idea for old time Stargate fans like myself, if we only here the enemies weapons fire and ships moving outside. As any old time fan will recognise the sound of a Ha'tak orbital bombardment, a Jaffa Staff blast or a Wrath Dart, while to new fans these will just be considered standard sound effects that suggest an alien attack without the need to know the history behind who they might be.

^ I hope that makes sense?

sramir2
June 29th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I think it will be.........blah......I don't think it really matters who attacks the base, remember they are going to a far far away galaxy and I don't think whoever attacks them will be worrying about what they are doing there in the first place.

I don't think that the Odyssey will the a appearance(I hope not, its SG-1's ship, just like the Deadulas is Altantis's ship.). I hope that the ship that arrives is the :cool:General Hammond:cool: that would be awesome. How's this:

People are starting the evacuation from the unknown enemy force, as the Evacuation is happening the General Hammond shows up a little late, and opens up a can of [email protected]$$ on them destorying them all, so we don't really know who they are, but then the fight ends, and the com. person can't get hold of anybody on the base, they look for lifesigns but they don't find any, then they beam down to see that they have evacuated to the Destiny instead. Then it cuts over to the people on the Destiny just arriving, they are still in the Destiny 'gateroom' that we have all seen in the trailers, and everybody doesn't understand what's going in on, or where they are, that would be awesome to see something like that, in my opinion.

Aewon
June 30th, 2009, 09:03 AM

No. You don't just introduce a brand new enemy in the pilot episode then never mention them again. That's called bad writing. However, I guess they might keep them a mystery for at least a few episodes to make them more menacing.

I hope it will be those alternate-universe types seen in Atlantis. The Borg/Orc looking things.

Wrong galaxy.

dahok
June 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM

The Aschen are not an adventurous race, they may have the technology.

I rather see those guys in an extended arc somehow, not just a short cameo to launch a new series.

Quadhelix
June 30th, 2009, 01:58 PM
No. You don't just introduce a brand new enemy in the pilot episode then never mention them again. That's called bad writing. However, I guess they might keep them a mystery for at least a few episodes to make them more menacing.
Problem: whoever attacks Icarus, by the very nature of the premise of Stargate Universe, will appear only during the attack on Icarus, and never again for the remainder of the series. There is no way to integrate them into the rest of the series without giving them either absurdly powerful drive technology or an incredibly massive, almost literally universe-spanning empire.

oniel193
June 30th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Canadians...

well im not canadian but since they invented hockey
:tealcanime51: :tealcanime51: grabs hockey stick and attaches a skate blade on it* grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hockey rules

major davis
June 30th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Wrong galaxy.

If it was a race which we hadn't seen before

minor SPOILER... ish

Which it isn't

Then maybe it could be a multi galaxy enemy and a presence in SGU... that would be cool. Don't you think?

Lord-Keroth
July 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
I think it will be Q. JK I hope it is some drunk bounty hunters. LOL or maby another baal clone with a hijacked ori ship because he takes over a prior.

retiredat44
July 3rd, 2009, 01:39 AM
I don't remember reading or hearing that the attack is by people.. is it supposedly only a race or being, or is it any other type of life form that attacks?

Where's the original premise of the show at, the link please?

Catalin
July 3rd, 2009, 04:19 AM
If it was a race which we hadn't seen before

minor SPOILER... ish

Which it isn't

Then maybe it could be a multi galaxy enemy and a presence in SGU... that would be cool. Don't you think?

..so we'll have another BSG storyline? No thanks!
I'll say, the wrighters should take ideas from this forum for alien races in SGU and give credit to the one creator of the race in the episodes credit list :)

PG15
July 3rd, 2009, 12:33 PM
How is that an idea from BSG?

Dragon_Heart
July 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
I think it will be Zoidberg :D

Seriously, id be extremely pissed if its the lucian alliance...

Puddle-Jumper
July 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Perhaps a Gould manage to get into the body of someone on one of earths ships and is found out and so targets the base or something? Surely not every system lord or prominant gould was killed

And its not a BSG storyline, its the only way to really get the wrong people in the wrong place thus establishing the whole show

BSG wasn't just about the attack it was that HUMANITY had basically been wiped out, minor difference

Col. Matarrese
July 3rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I think it will be Zoidberg :D

Seriously, id be extremely pissed if its the lucian alliance...

As much as I agree with the sentiment about the LA, I somehow think that's who it will be...

My only other theory is that we'll hear weapons fire, and even though it won't be stated exactly who it was, the sound effect used will be a nod to long time fans of Stargate. We'll know if it was a staff weapon style or an Ori style or whatever. I think this option is much more tasteful than a random appearance from an enemy I always thought was a bit of a cop out.

Catalin
July 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
How is that an idea from BSG?

bad guys chasing down good guys.. how is it not that BSG?

jelgate
July 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
bad guys chasing down good guys.. how is it not that BSG?

Because its a concept many SciFi shows use. Farscape for example.

PG15
July 3rd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Hmmm...bad guys chasing good guys.

Yeah, you're right. BSG is obviously the first to come up with that idea.

Catalin
August 13th, 2009, 12:07 PM
deathgliders.. hmm.. Lucian Alliance or the goa'uld?! Now i'm really curious!

Alan Wake
August 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Wouldn't it be better if we never find out who it is?

I think I would like that mystery to always be there.

We just never knew.

Tawny
August 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Not knowing would bug the hell out of me.

Ayanami 42
August 13th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Wizards. A fleet of them.

Tawny
August 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Wizards. A fleet of them.

A whole fleet? We'd be screwed if they come to earth :cool:

Ayanami 42
August 13th, 2009, 01:20 PM
A whole fleet? We'd be screwed if they come to earth :cool:

If Merlin showed us anything...

dansher
August 13th, 2009, 01:58 PM
MCKAY
Wait a minute. I've got an idea. How many ships do we have available?
CALDWELL
Aside from ourselves, there's the Apollo and the Sun Tzu.
SHEPPARD
How about the Odyssey?
CALDWELL
Mmm, it's on some secret mission even I'm not supposed to know about.

Maybe the Odyssey in orbit? I gues that the base gets atacked in the first place cause of some experiment on a powerful weapon.. and this makes me belive cause of the heavy presence on the base, IOA like, dr. Rush (evil dude definition) and high military&usaf presence in there..
..makes sense, briliant minds working on a weapon of mass destruction (the briliant mind has to be a lil evil too) like dr. Rush and the slacker guy..
..USAF and Military for protection and support
..IOA to keep an eye on the project.

I think they get a preemptive strike.. from ashcen.. or the canadians

i always assumed the secret mission they talk about was "the ark of truth" but now i think about it we see Sam in the last ep of sga don't we? which would screw with my assumption as she should be in the ori galaxy
Spoiler is for ark of truth movie not SGU or SGA

Andy whitto
August 13th, 2009, 02:13 PM
i would really like to see a big battle between a number of 304s and another fleet of ships!!

On topic- i think the 304 will prob be used to deploy 302s and beam people out, but the base gets hit or something and covered in rock so they cant get a lock, from the trailer it looks like some people want to try and escape (maybe to reach the surface so the 304 can beam them out) but some want to go through the gate to an unknown location.

Since Universe has a bigger budget than either Atlantis or SG1, it would really be great if they could show a big ship battle though. I have always wanted a 'Future' episode on SG1 where we go forward 100 years where Earth has a large fleet of ships (not talking 304s but all different kinds) and we get to see a big battle etc.

Maybe for the next movie ?

Helmar
August 13th, 2009, 11:08 PM
We already saw the logo of the USS George Hammond, so it most probably won't be the Odyssee.

Catalin
August 15th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Not knowing would bug the hell out of me.

Indeed!

escyos
August 15th, 2009, 01:36 AM
While journeying into town today to purchase supplies to decorate my door (a competeiton at uni, where you can decorate your door, im doing that window in the Atlantis gate room behidn the gate design, ill post a pic later)

anyway, i came cross a copy of SFX magazine, never heard of it before but i bought a copy cause there was and SGU thing in there.

THeres a quote from Wright saying that "There are no latex-faced english speaking aliens in Stargate Universe", he also mentins a lot of strange fancy planets inthe first 10 episodes and some strange scary aliens. He also mentions a lot of sex and theres a pic of Matthew Scott and Chloe Armstrong pretty close.

Also there was a timeline in there where they had Ra as being the supreme system lord 17,400 BC? and in 2026 they wrote "Th events of Stargate Infinity take place. Nobody cares"

ijffdrie
August 15th, 2009, 03:10 AM
oh godz no, did they just actually state infinity in continuity?

Captain Untouchable
August 15th, 2009, 11:07 AM
We already saw the logo of the USS George Hammond, so it most probably won't be the Odyssee.

We did?

*runs to watch all the trailers / comic con footage again*

ijffdrie
August 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
i hope its one of the old minor enemies, like the aschen.

or exactly the aschen

GIVE ME MY ASCHEN!

PG15
August 15th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Ok, I need you to scan those pages talking about SGU. Post haste!!

I'm very interested in these "strange fancy planets" and "strange scary aliens".

Asecooper
August 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
and in 2026 they wrote "Th events of Stargate Infinity take place. Nobody cares"

Bwhahahahaha, I actually LOL'd at that. Nobody did care.

Metonic
August 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Ok, I need you to scan those pages talking about SGU. Post haste!!

I'm very interested in these "strange fancy planets" and "strange scary aliens".

SCAN IT SCAN IT NOW

lol no body cares lmao.

StargateBuilder
August 15th, 2009, 07:38 PM
... and in 2026 they wrote "Th events of Stargate Infinity take place. Nobody cares"

Yeah I totally agree with you on that; Stargate Infinity will never be considered official Stargate canon.

escyos
August 15th, 2009, 08:17 PM
unfortuntely i dont have access to a scanner right now, but i will take a few photos later.

g.o.d
August 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM
have you guys seen one episode of the Red Dwarf hwere the crew is visited by some strange "aliens" who finish Lister's puzzle? Rimmer has a great theory how those aliens can communicate with us :D

RIMMER snaps his fingers and points around the room.

RIMMER: Somehow we've lost the last four days.
CAT: Did you look behind the fridge? If you lose something it's nearly
always there.
RIMMER: Aliens!
LISTER: What?
CAT: What are you talking about, grease stain?
RIMMER: It's a well documented phenomenon. They kidnap you, give you a
mind probe, erase your memory, and put you back.
LISTER: OK, aliens came aboard.
RIMMER: Without question.
LISTER: They broke my leg.
RIMMER: For some reason.
CAT: They broke MY leg.
RIMMER: Right.
HOLLY: And then they did a jigsaw.
RIMMER: Right.
HOLLY: Well, that's cleared that up then.
RIMMER: Look, you're not thinking alien. That's what aliens are: alien.
They do alien things. Things that are... (shrugs) alien. Maybe this
is the way they communicate.
CAT: By breaking legs?
LISTER: And doing jigsaws?
RIMMER: Why should they speak the way we do? They're aliens.
LISTER: OK, professor, what does it mean?
RIMMER: Maybe, maybe, OK? Breaking your leg hurts like hell, OK? "Hel."
They do it below the knee, "lo." "Hel-lo," gettit? They do it twice --
twice, "two." "Hello two." And the jigsaw must mean "you." "Hello to
you."
CAT: I wouldn't like to be around when one of these suckers is making a
speech! (He limps out.)

koroush47
October 9th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I just hope that when the universe guys encounter aliens... that are NOT human.

Goauld are humanish, the jaffa... kinda are humans, the ori's followers were humans, the lucian alliance are humans, etc.. etc..

How the heck do they expect us to believe humans exist so far out in the universe?

Oh and I watched so much SG1, I got sick of the team going and helping hapless humans from bad leadership and what not.

Who agrees with me and wants to see some strange weird aliens instead of just humans?

Pharaoh Atem
October 9th, 2009, 06:59 PM
agreed it wouldn't make sense

spinny magee
October 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Double that I also agree, the ancients didn't even live in this galaxy anyways so what would be the point of it.

Coronach
October 9th, 2009, 07:08 PM
It's a good thing that Brad and Rob have stated (many times) that there will be no humanoid and/or English-speaking aliens.

koroush47
October 9th, 2009, 07:14 PM
It's a good thing that Brad and Rob have stated (many times) that there will be no humanoid and/or English-speaking aliens.

So do we get subtitles or something?

Commander Zelix
October 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I hope we do see some humans too (maybe in a new galaxy ;), next season). Obviously I don't mind seeing other kinds of aliens.

Also I would like those humans to be mostly advanced human or advanced humanoid. Not those medieval small villagers we often saw in the other gates series.

Growling and barking aliens can be fun sometimes. But Aliens in sci-fi (other than first contact movies or horror movies) are supposed to be only a metaphor for humans behaviors. Its makes deeper story that way.

koroush47
October 9th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I hope we do see some humans too (maybe in a new galaxy ;), next season). Obviously I don't mind seeing other kinds of aliens.

Also I would like those humans to be mostly advanced human or advanced humanoid. Not those medieval small villagers we often saw in the other gates series.

Growling and barking aliens can be fun sometimes. But Aliens in sci-fi (other than first contact movies or horror movies) are supposed to be only a metaphor for humans behaviors. Its makes deeper story that way.

no no no, you got the wrong idea...

We DON'T want to see humans..

haha

FightforAtlantis
October 9th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Oh gosh, if they encounter humanoids I'll be pissed off. I always hated how in StarTrek they'd called something an alien just because it had some weird piece of crap hanging off it's face.

Wolf
October 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM
So do we get subtitles or something?

Maybe Picture-in-Picture with Daniel Jackson or Jonas translating, though even with there proficiency in alien languages, it'll take a long time to actually learn a totally new/different language, and they would need to find some common ground (maybe the elements like the 4 races used to communicate between their different languages). How all this will happen in ~12 hours... no idea, but perhaps someone thought to bring an asgard time dilation device through the gate ;P.

koroush47
October 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Maybe Picture-in-Picture with Daniel Jackson or Jonas translating, though even with there proficiency in alien languages, it'll take a long time to actually learn a totally new/different language, and they would need to find some common ground (maybe the elements like the 4 races used to communicate between their different languages). How all this will happen in ~12 hours... no idea, but perhaps someone thought to bring an asgard time dilation device through the gate ;P.

That would be hilarious, if a Daniel Jackson popped up in a tiny box and translated the alien speech!

randomking
October 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
well think about the seeder ship's sent before them....they could drop off enough stuff to try to help shape a humanoid....but not teach them to speak.....that's were the babble fish comes into play....or maby that one shot they used on far scape

dahok
October 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM

No forehead aliens perhaps, but I still expect a bipedal sentient creature or two to show up.

They also said they weren't recycling SG-1/SGA enemies and themes too, which was false.

Commander Zelix
October 9th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I hope we do see some humans too (maybe in a new galaxy , next season). Obviously I don't mind seeing other kinds of aliens.

no no no, you got the wrong idea...

We DON'T want to see humans..

haha
You know I'm right. Anyway brad confirmed it only to me by email for season 2. Destiny will step into a new Galaxy inhabited by highly advanced humanoid species. No aliens will bark and growls next seasons.

The Re'tu were fun but they had their limitations storywise. :P

Replicator Todd
October 9th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I hope we get no subtitles...confusion is fun!

Detox
October 9th, 2009, 08:52 PM
You don't need subtitles. Animation is good enough that you can physically emote communication.

spinny magee
October 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
You don't need subtitles. Animation is good enough that you can physically emote communication.

You could have subtitles and the physically communicating (don't get the wrong idea from that ;)) Both I think would work quite well.

MattSilver 3k
October 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM

In the areas where the Destiny is, anyway,
If spoilers say anything, The Lucian Alliance, English-speaking humanoids in the Milky Way will appear.

Joben
October 9th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Oh gosh, if they encounter humanoids I'll be pissed off. I always hated how in StarTrek they'd called something an alien just because it had some weird piece of crap hanging off it's face.

Uhh you mean like how the Jaffa were called aliens in the first episode of SG1 since they had symbols on their heads and had pouches which weren't seen on-camera often?

Or the rubber-suited aliens that appeared in that Carter racing episode, or the bounty hunter on Earth episode that were humanoids?

Stargate has been doing that for a while now.

reddevil18
October 10th, 2009, 04:20 AM
The thing is, they CAN get away with humans being all over the place - just say the seeder ships seeded life, not just gates. While I'd hate for that to happen, the SG universe is in a perfect position to use humans throughout the universe with a plausible in-canon explanation.
Truth be told, I'm more annoyed about the Lucian Alliance thing than any other humans popping up along the route.

October 10th, 2009, 04:50 AM
i saw a trailer with rush looking at a human skull. so there must be human aliens somewhere right? or time travel perhaps?

reddevil18
October 10th, 2009, 04:58 AM
i saw a trailer with rush looking at a human skull. so there must be human aliens somewhere right? or time travel perhaps?
Yeah, that's his skull...from the future. I'm really looking forward to that episode.

MechaThor
October 10th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I NEVER want to see a Human alien on SGU outside of the Lucian Alliance spy. As its bad enough we have Humans living like a plague in 3 galaxies already. Seriously it is next to impossible for Humans to evolve on another planet, especially right down to the genetic level. Its next to impossible to imagine that other planets even have Trees like the ones we know, let alone a species you could call a Human.

As a twist we should instead come across loads of another Alien race, that has been seeded across the stars, living in little villages. Making Humanoids like us considered to be the "very strange" and rarity. An Entire Galaxy full of 10 foot tall sentient purple Land Squids, XD

Betelgeuze
October 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Please let them be cats. Just kidding. I also want the aliens to be really alien, and no face bumbs either.

Truth be told, I'm more annoyed about the Lucian Alliance thing than any other humans popping up along the route.

I agree. It makes no sense to me that the Lucian Alliance would attack the Icarus base or try to sabotage the Destiny mission. The biggest threat to them are Earth and Atlantis. A bunch of people on a ship billions of light years away are no threat. At least the Goa'uld made more sense when they formed the Trust and infiltrated Earth organisations.