This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien races general discussion

This point has been brought up in a number of posts. For some reason, it doesnát seem the Universe team will have a resident alien. I think that is a mistake. I think they need someone to present that perspective. An alien is always a good counterpoint. Besides, who are they going to throw all the pop-culture references at?

In both SG-1 and Atlantis, the aliens were warrior types. If they do decide to do an alien for this show I think it would need to be something different. I would almost imagine a being who is a mix of a conman and Dr. Smith (from "Lost in Space"), someone who can cause just as much trouble as they can also help out in certain situations. It could be someone who has a completely different agenda than the rest, acts on it, but in the end this being is exactly on the same page as the others. In other words, he causes a lot of trouble, but in the end he helps the team meet their goals, but he does it completely his/her own way. I think a character like this would add more humor to the show.

An alien character could be someone they come across and joins them in hopes of trying to find his own people who were lost and separated during some great disaster. The being could be a historian or archeologist who is chasing clues to some big mystery and ends up on the Destiny and acts as something of a guide/diplomat because he has a working knowledge of some of the stuff they will be encountering. (I almost imagine it like Galen from "Crusade.") The "mystery" could have an impact on the team and the ship.

It could be an assended being who got cast out, but not all the way like Anubsis, This being would have knowledge of the aliens they will encounter and so on. Maybe he/she has to regain their place among the assended by going on a quest and the Destiny just happens to be going their way.

It could be a kid who was taken from their family and this team becomes the only family they have ever had.

I know this might seem like a cheap rip off of "The Doctor" from "Star Trek: Voyager," but the Destiny could have an AI program that appears to the team as a hologram or something and that could be the alien/outsider character. It could be the Ancient that created the ship and like an Ancient did in Atlantis, an assended being could really be behind the image.

Also, think about it. This ship is flying through an unknown part of the universe for millions of years. It is bound to attract some unwanted attention with species trying to board it or destroy it. Something has to be in place to control the ship's defenses, handle regular maintenance and so on.

When the humans board, one or more can have the Ancient gene that the AI would recognize and would not decide to blast them.

Stories centered on the character can be about instances that occurred to it over the centuries with some of those things having implecations for the team in the present day.

Of course the problem would be if an AI is so intelligent, why wouldn't it be able to turn the ship around?

I'm just throwing out ideas here, but you get what I mean. I think they need an alien.

Who agrees?

I think the alien will be a season character only, someone to stay on for as long as the SG:U is in this galaxy, and hardly ever actually stays on the ship. I think it would be more wise to have an all-human team, and many alien allies. And who knows? Maybe they will add one...but if they do, I want them to be a "Daniel Jackson" character.

Comment

The alien character was always used as a bit of a cheat in Stargate, instead of finding stuff out about the Goa'uld/Pegasus Galaxy the teams always had Teal'c/Teyla to spoon feed them the information. Doesn't bother me too much that there won't be one, at least not at first, I think their feeling of isolation will be key to the feel of the series, finding a new friend straight away might take away from that a bit...

Comment

I figure we'll pick up an alien partway into the season after the tragic demise of one of the main characters. Either that or they're gonna go for the Andromeda/Voyager approach and have some holographic Ancient as an additional "crewmember." Either the embodiment of the ship itself or the Chief Engineer or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by JThunder101 View Post
          This point has been brought up in a number of posts. For some reason, it doesnát seem the Universe team will have a resident alien. I think that is a mistake. I think they need someone to present that perspective. An alien is always a good counterpoint. Besides, who are they going to throw all the pop-culture references at?

In both SG-1 and Atlantis, the aliens were warrior types. If they do decide to do an alien for this show I think it would need to be something different. I would almost imagine a being who is a mix of a conman and Dr. Smith (from "Lost in Space"), someone who can cause just as much trouble as they can also help out in certain situations. It could be someone who has a completely different agenda than the rest, acts on it, but in the end this being is exactly on the same page as the others. In other words, he causes a lot of trouble, but in the end he helps the team meet their goals, but he does it completely his/her own way. I think a character like this would add more humor to the show.

An alien character could be someone they come across and joins them in hopes of trying to find his own people who were lost and separated during some great disaster. The being could be a historian or archeologist who is chasing clues to some big mystery and ends up on the Destiny and acts as something of a guide/diplomat because he has a working knowledge of some of the stuff they will be encountering. (I almost imagine it like Galen from "Crusade.") The "mystery" could have an impact on the team and the ship.

It could be an assended being who got cast out, but not all the way like Anubsis, This being would have knowledge of the aliens they will encounter and so on. Maybe he/she has to regain their place among the assended by going on a quest and the Destiny just happens to be going their way.

It could be a kid who was taken from their family and this team becomes the only family they have ever had.

I know this might seem like a cheap rip off of "The Doctor" from "Star Trek: Voyager," but the Destiny could have an AI program that appears to the team as a hologram or something and that could be the alien/outsider character. It could be the Ancient that created the ship and like an Ancient did in Atlantis, an assended being could really be behind the image.

Also, think about it. This ship is flying through an unknown part of the universe for millions of years. It is bound to attract some unwanted attention with species trying to board it or destroy it. Something has to be in place to control the ship's defenses, handle regular maintenance and so on.

When the humans board, one or more can have the Ancient gene that the AI would recognize and would not decide to blast them.

Stories centered on the character can be about instances that occurred to it over the centuries with some of those things having implecations for the team in the present day.

Of course the problem would be if an AI is so intelligent, why wouldn't it be able to turn the ship around?

I'm just throwing out ideas here, but you get what I mean. I think they need an alien.

Who agrees?
          You forget Jonas, for a time he was the "cerebral alien". Then there was Vala, and she brought to the team...well, anyway, the alien thing is getting sort of cliche.

If the series is going to be one galaxy per season as has been suggested by others, then perhaps that leaves open the possibility for outsiders to join up for a more limited period of time within their own galaxies.

Comment

Several posts I've read have mentioned Jonas and asked why he wasn't included in Universe. We get the alien point of view, and we get a decent actor who isn't annoying. He was on an SG team before, so its not a stretch to have him on an SG team that goes through the gate for Stargate Universe.

This also stays away from an alien spoon-feeding info to the crew. They get to explore and find things out for themselves.

Comment

I don't mind if they introduce an "alien" character later on... so long as they make them actually alien, rather than just another human with slightly superior abilities (Teal'c's Jaffa strength, Teyla's Wraith gift, etc). Especially with Teyla, they haven't really used the "alien" angle very much in scripts, so if the writers want to just avoid having an "alien" character this time because it serves no purpose, then I'm all for it.
              Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

I was thinking maybe they will have an Ancient who was placed in stasis on the ship as sort of a living time capsule similar to Ariana. The character would have the information of star systems and what is known about them but there would also be a lot not known because of the passage of time.

Also based on the discussions about the ethical dilemmas I think that they should have a Nox as an ethical advisor. The character would only be an occasional character maybe like Dr. Zalenka.
                "Time Travel: it's a cornucopia of disturbing concepts"-Ron Stoppable- Kim Possible

Comment

I just thought of something...This is probably a knock off of Star Trek, but heh, I will shoot anyway. Would it be interesting to see if we have an expedition go off to the Destiny (I haven't seen any talk about an expedition. So far, it is only a team, but I think that would be a bit of a stretch...) that it would be a "inter-racial" expedition consisting of multiple allies in the Milky Way galaxy such as Jaffa, Tok'ra, maybe Nox. (Nice way to have them come back into the picture since there weren't a lot of stories about them...)

Umm, not sure who else, but it would be nice to keep the Milky Way allies in the Stargate universe alive. These would be guest characters/background characters, etc. Not the main cast because obviously they are going with a human cast. Anyways, I thought of this when someone mentioned having the Nox as a "ethical adviser".

Who knows..? That could be a nice thing to keep the previous races in the show, see how they interact with the other races deserted alone on the Destiny, while still meeting new races as we move on. Yay, nay, maybe? Heh.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                  and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Jonas will never be seen again on ANY Stargate production because TPTB don't want him. It's that simple.

As for the alien thing being cliche... ROTFL! If the producers were worried about being cliche then the character synopses we've already seen would contain some originality and would not be so easy to pin down as the "O'Neill clone" and the "McKay clone" and so on. No, I'm betting SGU will be full of cliches and that TPTB won't shy away from any of them. If it was good enough for SG-1 and Atlantis, it'll be good enough for SGU. You can bet your sweet bippy on that one.

Comment

I dont see why they would EVER put Jonas in the show, it seems like a stupid idea IMO... think about it, it makes no sense.
                      Islanded In A Stream Of Stars...

Cavil - The Artist Formerly Known As Crais

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crais View Post
                        I dont see why they would EVER put Jonas in the show, it seems like a stupid idea IMO... think about it, it makes no sense.
                        It's tempting to say that the more nonsensical and stupid something is, the more likely it is to actually happen, but I'll try to resist that urge.

It kinda saddens me to see folks who honestly seem to believe that Jonas ever has a chance of reappearing in Stargate. Kudos to folks clinging hard to their rose-tinted glasses, but at some point reality has to rear its ugly rose-proof head. I loved the character, but there's simply no chance in hell of us seeing him again. Ever.

Comment

My favorite non-warrior allens of course is cute boy Jonas and fabulous woman Vala on SG-1. They both was an awesome characters.

Universe needs some alien characters, of course if this not be unnatural thing. Btw I think, that is /out/ of alien character in the team is better than have a wrong one. IMO.

Comment

Some interesting ideas OP. It could be they are not completely done with the cast yet and haven't created the alien character yet.

I'm not sure how much the PTB are thinking about some of the similarites of SGU and STV so an intelligent AI is not out of the realm of possibility. It makes logical sense when you think about it, at least on the seeding gate ship. If they do have an AI aboard the Destiny I hope it is something more limited though. It is intelligent and helps run the ship, but doesn't have a body or a hologram representation. Maybe just a voice and some thing else to represent it on screen. Has anyone seen the anime Outlaw Star? Gilliam from that show would be a good example.

If they pick up an actual alien on the way I would like to see him/her as a different type of regular alien other than a warrior. Perhaps some kind of slimy weasel of a man (not in the literal sense) that has ways of getting information and could be a useful asset no matter which galaxy they are in. Someone who they wouldn't know if they can trust him or not as he has his own scemes and such. A Maybourne type character, though I never really saw him as a weasel.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think it would be interesting to go with a different alien every-so-often, have an alien come in for a couple to several episodes, have a wacky adventure or two with the team and move along.

This way you can have a number of personalities and professions and kinda mix it up a bit. That way you aren't locked into one type of alien and you can have a number of experiences for the team.

You could have the conman causing trouble, you can have the archeologist trying to find the key to a great mystery, you can have the one trying to find their people and so on. It would certainly open up the story possibilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X