I rewatched B5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rewatched B5

I rewatched B5 with my sister recently and I have to say season 5 was not bad the second time around.

Anyone else watch it recently and have different opinions than you did before?
    sigpic
    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Watched it years ago, when a was a lad. Didn't like b5, but thot S5 was a better period of it....

Rewatched it this year, learned my mistakes and am constantly heard raving as I wander vacantly along Glasgow streets, desperately trying to find anything that could EVER measure up to it......
    except 5. I thought it was real waste of potential. They could have done so much.
    The only amazing ep was the final one, but as we all know it was filmed end of S4 before they knew they were getting S5.
    Tear in the eye, every time....
    sigpic
    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

I've always loved season 5 of the show. I thought it was just a brilliant way to round things off. With most shows the pinnacle moment happens and you're left wondering "what happend to all of them? what were they like in their new roles?" But season 5 was like a window into that. I also think it has some of the best episodes in the entire series.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I recently rewatched the entire series, and I love it even more!

Going into specifics, the most striking thing that was different for me the second time regards "War Without End". The first time I saw that, I had a huge cold and was shaking the entire time. As such, I was rather distracted. The second time, it struck me as one of the most amazing, epic, and delightful bits of film I had ever laid my eyes upon.

Season 5... Overall I think it was great but it did have a few flaws. The Byron arc isn't as bad as you'd expect... at least until "Phoenix Rising". It's a very confused and extremely unsatisfying conclusion in my opinion.

The main good thing was the Centauri/Drakh arc. It was incredible, especially in "Movements of Fire and Shadow" and "The Fall of Centauri Prime", two of the best episodes in the entire series.

Great character interaction as always: Londo and G'Kar were delightful together after the air was cleared in "The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari".

The season also did well with two episodes that are on opposite sides of the spectrum. "A View from the Gallery" is a very entertaining and touching story, while "And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder" is a masterful portrait of a crisis, and how it affects the characters.

Then we have the single most tearjerking episode I've ever experienced, "Sleeping in Light". Hands down, the greatest explosion ever.

I will always stand by every season of Babylon 5 and cherish them all.
        sigpic
        Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          I've always loved season 5 of the show. I thought it was just a brilliant way to round things off. With most shows the pinnacle moment happens and you're left wondering "what happend to all of them? what were they like in their new roles?" But season 5 was like a window into that. I also think it has some of the best episodes in the entire series.
          I just got a little sick of my fav character going off the rails, and the moment u think Garibaldi gets better, alcholism strikes again.

Lennier becomes an arsehole

No expansion on the death of Molari and that whole situation

The only ep I really liked was From the Gallery. That rocked

I must admit Londo and G'karr becoming friends was fantastic. An T'alon? Awesome!!

BTW, anyone moans about no spoilers headings, u shud't be in this thread anyway.....
          sigpic
          385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Pick up the Centuri Prime Triology (books) they do a great job of telling the story of how Londo and Gkar end up at each other's throats and how Vir becomes emperor

Comment

It was okay. I liked season 4 Little bit more because it seemed more like the real finale to the main story arc. And Poundpuppy, you never answered my question. Who's your fav character?
              StarshineRoxie
              A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                I rewatched B5 with my sister recently and I have to say season 5 was not bad the second time around.

Anyone else watch it recently and have different opinions than you did before?
                Yep. I've been rewatching B5 on and off for the past year or so. It's still as good as it's always been. In fact, I think it's better than most of today's offerings. There's lots of small details that I missed on previous viewings.

Will see if my opinion changes when I watch season 5. I do remember liking season 5, but didn't think it was as high as the standards set in previous seasons. I wasn't a big fan of the Byron episodes.
                "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by dsigal View Post
                  Pick up the Centuri Prime Triology (books) they do a great job of telling the story of how Londo and Gkar end up at each other's throats and how Vir becomes emperor
                  Cheers! Will do!

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                  Yep. I've been rewatching B5 on and off for the past year or so. It's still as good as it's always been. In fact, I think it's better than most of today's offerings. There's lots of small details that I missed on previous viewings.

Will see if my opinion changes when I watch season 5. I do remember liking season 5, but didn't think it was as high as the standards set in previous seasons. I wasn't a big fan of the Byron episodes.
                  It is fantastic. Nothing has the scope nowadays.
                  Byron was the only real let down. the captain was too, but at least she was better to look at than sheridan. hahaha
                  sigpic
                  385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by starshineRoxie View Post
                    It was okay. I liked season 4 Little bit more because it seemed more like the real finale to the main story arc. And Poundpuppy, you never answered my question. Who's your fav character?
                    Delenn and Susan
                    sigpic
                    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by starshineRoxie View Post
                      S4 was supposed to be the real finale of the story. When it reallyreallyreallyreally looked like S5 wasn't going to happen jms compressed the story.

He said to get S5 Warner did the equivalent of checking under the sofa cushions for enough $$ to make it. As it was they had to short filming time by a day each ep. And the actors lost money at first because B5 went from syndication to cable. Different residual structure. Lost them thousands of dollars til they burned thru the rules that allow cable to be profitable when they support original series with their decidedly smaller audience base. It's a factor in why Claudia Christian left.
                      However I guess what counts is, in the end, S5 was made. (S5 was an expanded storyline for what jms hoped to be a movie of the telepath war.)

suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

On first viewing my favorite character was Susan. That evolved over the series and by the time I rewatched my faves were Londo and G'Kar. Nuanced and heartrending.

"Let them pass."

suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                        X