This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Beyond the Gate

I see there's an unauthorized guide to Stargate Sg-1 titled 'Beyond the Gate' by Keith Topping. Would anyone have information about this book?

Originally posted by pettygrew
    I see there's an unauthorized guide to Stargate Sg-1 titled 'Beyond the Gate' by Keith Topping. Would anyone have information about this book?
    I’ve got this and it’s pretty good [tho full of typos which, as a journalist, irritate me intensely]. Have you seen his other books on Buffy, Angel and the X-Files? It’s basically more of the same and is an entertaining read altho it stops halfway thru season 6 so isn’t all that up-to-date.

The one thing that did irritate me about it is that he includes a really good intro/critique that waxes lyrical about the themes and the relationships between the characters – but then doesn’t include any insight at all into character development in the episode analyses.

You could probably get it secondhand at Amazon auctions or on Ebay?

Hope this helps!

DON’T YOU SMILE AT ME LIKE THAT! THAT’S NOT EVEN A REAL SMILE! IT’S JUST A BUNCH OF TEETH PLAYING WITH MY MIND! Sig courtesy of AmberMoon… kneel before your God!

WWW.SUPERNANNY.US.COM. Log on. Or it’s the naughty chair for you.

Comment

I'm looking into getting this...what exactly is it like?
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Hi -

this is my first post on the boards, but I wanted to chime in on the 'Beyond the Gate' thread. It depends on what you're looking for in an episode guide as to whether you would like it or not - if you're looking for a guide that's light on analysis and heavy on pop-culture references (not those that are in the actual episodes though), then 'Beyond the Gate' is fine. It has nothing on character development, and even less on plot arcs - and it's fairly outdated by now. I didn't learn anything from it - and found it to be pretty badly written, edited, and laid out, as well. *shrug* Your mileage may vary, of course.

However, I would heartily recommend the book that's just come out by Jo Storm, 'Approaching the Possible.' It covers 8 seasons of the show, and has a lot more information than 'Beyond the Gate' - analysis of each episode, long character and story arcs, bios of the core cast, a study of how filming in Canada is felt through the series, fanchise and franchise info, resources.... Each episode has an analysis, as well as additional tidbits - behind the scenes info, actor quote, particularly cool (or uncool) moments, and favourite lines from the episode. The author can sometimes veer into the philosophical or the jokey, and you're bound not to agree with everything she says, but it's a huge book - over 500 pages - and there's tons of information - and some awesome photos.

You can get the book here or here - and GateWorld has a contest running for a free copy - so you can try your luck there.

Cheers,
        Danaia

Comment

Working...
        X