Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farscape: Strange Detractors #3 comic book discussion (SPOILERS!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farscape: Strange Detractors #3 comic book discussion (SPOILERS!)

It's out. Whadja think?
    Keith R.A. DeCandido
    [email protected]
    www.decandido.net
    decandido.wordpress.com
    Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk." ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

Grabbed from the other thread:

Wow, just got done reading it and it's my favorite issue yet. In a word...Epic.

Kudos to the team on a grand, but tight story. This really feels like the continuation of the series, and I could completely visualize this as another mini-series or three parter. I really loved the panels with the various ships leading off the pages.

And you weren't lying about the return of a ton of characters Keith. I loved every minute of it.
    Spoiler:
    Though I was surprised Grunlik didn't mention D'argo It was also very cool to see Deke's possible cousin, I hope he doesn't have powers too.

ON a side note, I saw the Hardcover, and it looked great,I just couldn't pull the trigger.
    So, nice work. I can't wait for #4!

Comment

Not bothering to code this, as it's a spoiler thread, but what possible reason would Grunchlk have for mentioning D'Argo?
      Keith R.A. DeCandido
      [email protected]
      www.decandido.net
      decandido.wordpress.com

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk." ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

Comment

Originally posted by krad View Post
        Not bothering to code this, as it's a spoiler thread, but what possible reason would Grunchlk have for mentioning D'Argo?
        Oh, just speculation that he has his frozen, near-dead body at the facility.

Or anything else to plant the seed that he isn't really dead. We all know he wouldn't freely give up that information I suppose, so yeah, he wouldn't have a very good reason to mention him...at least until he is at death's door and needs to save himself again
        Last edited by Randy_Watson; 04 June 2009, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind, the last time we saw D'Argo he was about to be overrun by a dozen or so Charrids and Scarrans. Even if, by some miracle, that stab wound didn't kill him, he was likely a pile of mangled, charred flesh by the time Moya took off from Qujaga.
          Keith R.A. DeCandido
          [email protected]
          www.decandido.net
          decandido.wordpress.com

Comment

Keep in mind, the last time we saw D'Argo he was about to be overrun by a dozen or so Charrids and Scarrans. Even if, by some miracle, that stab wound didn't kill him, he was likely a pile of mangled, charred flesh by the time Moya took off from Qujaga.
            Some will never accept his death (not that I blame them). Personally, I was proud of his noble sacrifice. He died saving his friends, allowing them to continue their escape.

As for Issue #3, I am currently waiting on my issue in the mail. Hopefully it won't be too long before I get it.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Hey, I hope he's dead, as that would be more meaningful, but come on...this is Sci-Fi, and they left the scene with him looking like he was a goner. The door couldn't be more wide open for his return.

But moving on...great work again on this issue, nice art layout as well. I'm just bummed about the wait for #4, but luckily we get another D'argo issue in the meantime.

Did the Scarrans really free Sikozu's people? It seems crazy that they would actually live up to that bargain, but I guess Crichton and his worm hole might have put the fear into them.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                As for Issue #3, I am currently waiting on my issue in the mail. Hopefully it won't be too long before I get it.
                I'm right there with you as I just ordered mine today...along with issue 2 and couple of other comics.

Looking forward to it based on Randy's reaction.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                  Hey, I hope he's dead, as that would be more meaningful, but come on...this is Sci-Fi, and they left the scene with him looking like he was a goner. The door couldn't be more wide open for his return.
                  Not for me. I really really hate that very trend you mention. And, as you said, D'Argo sacrificed himself to save his friends. To resurrect him would cheapen both the sacrifice and the character.

I edited the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, a monthly Star Trek eBook series. In one of the eBooks, we killed off half the crew of the ship, including a main character. One of the reasons why I did that was to show that death is a permanent condition (and also to finally have someone in a Star Trek story go on a suicide mission and actually, y'know, die). The character's death had a profound effect on the characters, and continued to for many stories after that. Because that's what happens when people die.

One of the reasons why we're doing the alternate timeline thing in Gone and Back is to highlight the losses of D'Argo and Zhaan -- but the point is not to bring them back. Both characters deliberately sacrificed themselves for the sake of their friends. Both of them went out heroically, for love of their crewmates. To bring them back would, as I said, be cheap and demeaning to both characters.

(The only reason I was willing to accept Aeryn's resurrection is precisely because it came at the cost of Zhaan's life.)

Sorry to go on like this, but the willy-nilly resurrection of characters is something I really hate. (24 lost me this season when they brought back Tony Almeida.)

But moving on...great work again on this issue, nice art layout as well. I'm just bummed about the wait for #4, but luckily we get another D'argo issue in the meantime.
                  Hey, I can only write, and Will (and Tommy) can only draw so fast!

Did the Scarrans really free Sikozu's people? It seems crazy that they would actually live up to that bargain, but I guess Crichton and his worm hole might have put the fear into them.
                  I could go into a lengthy explanation of why there's political capital to be gained by freeing a people you've enslaved, especially since it cuts off the rebels like Sikozu off at the knees. Also, the ending notwithstanding, the Scarrans were quite successful during the war, and may well have an improved economy thanks to this particular conquest. They may find it more cost-effective to pay the Kalish to be a workforce (thus probably getting better work out of them) than forcing them to be one, and also save them the time and trouble (and expense) of dealing with resistance groups.

They also probably knew that Sikozu -- who'd been a pain in their eema -- would be ostracized by her own people for what she did, so making her that offer (and getting useful intel out of it) was a win-win for Akhna.
                  Last edited by krad; 05 June 2009, 07:38 AM.
                  Keith R.A. DeCandido
                  [email protected]
                  www.decandido.net
                  decandido.wordpress.com

Comment

Not for me. I really really hate that very trend you mention. And, as you said, D'Argo sacrificed himself to save his friends. To resurrect him would cheapen both the sacrifice and the character.

I edited the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, a monthly Star Trek eBook series. In one of the eBooks, we killed off half the crew of the ship, including a main character. One of the reasons why I did that was to show that death is a permanent condition (and also to finally have someone in a Star Trek story go on a suicide mission and actually, y'know, die). The character's death had a profound effect on the characters, and continued to for many stories after that. Because that's what happens when people die.

One of the reasons why we're doing the alternate timeline thing in Gone and Back is to highlight the losses of D'Argo and Zhaan -- but the point is not to bring them back. Both characters deliberately sacrificed themselves for the sake of their friends. Both of them went out heroically, for love of their crewmates. To bring them back would, as I said, be cheap and demeaning to both characters.

(The only reason I was willing to accept Aeryn's resurrection is precisely because it came at the cost of Zhaan's life.)

Sorry to go on like this, but the willy-nilly resurrection of characters is something I really hate. (24 lost me this season when they brought back Tony Almeida.)

I completely agree! Now, don't let me down and go back on it (not that I dislike D'argo and wouldn't love to see him on screen again, but sacrifice is so important, and like you said there are other ways for bringing people back on screen) That said, if you want to kill someone off and still keep them around, you need to go the Crichton route and clone him first

I could go into a lengthy explanation of why there's political capital to be gained by freeing a people you've enslaved, especially since it cuts off the rebels like Sikozu off at the knees. Also, the ending notwithstanding, the Scarrans were quite successful during the war, and may well have an improved economy thanks to this particular conquest. They may find it more cost-effective to pay the Kalish to be a workforce (thus probably getting better work out of them) than forcing them to be one, and also save them the time and trouble (and expense) of dealing with resistance groups.

They also probably knew that Sikozu -- who'd been a pain in their eema -- would be ostracized by her own people for what she did, so making her that offer (and getting useful intel out of it) was a win-win for Akhna.
                    Thanks for the detailed and well reasoned explanation. It'd be interesting to have a sub-story going back and looking at the War(s) from the Scarran side, I tend to forget how much they already did. I love how well versed you are in the world.

Hey, I can only write, and Will (and Tommy) can only draw so fast!
                    I know... I know, you guys are doing great, I'm terrible at that sort of thing. That's why I tend to save my shows until I can watch them straight through on DVD.

Comment

Thanks for all your insight, krad. We really do appreciate it. And we know you guys can only do these issues so fast. We just like them so much, we want more and more. See the monster you have created?
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Finally got mine today in the mail. Really good issue too. Nice to see some old faces. Crichton better act fast, especially based on how this one ended.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Glad you got yours Fifth. Not too much longer to wait now. What do you think of little D's possible cousin?

Oh, and Keith, I bought House of Cards yesterday, can't wait to crack into that! I love your intro about Henson, that is exactly how I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                            Glad you got yours Fifth. Not too much longer to wait now. What do you think of little D's possible cousin?

Oh, and Keith, I bought House of Cards yesterday, can't wait to crack into that! I love your intro about Henson, that is exactly how I feel.
                            Possible cousin?

As for House of Cards, enjoy it, my friend.
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Thanks, Randy--hope you like House of Cards!

And Fifth, Randy means little D's possible half-sibling, not cousin, and refers to the cameo by Grayza and her child in SD#3.
                              Keith R.A. DeCandido
                              [email protected]
                              www.decandido.net
                              decandido.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X