Stargate Prequel Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Prequel Idea

I just watched The Torment of Tantalus again and the idea of doing a movie that was a Stargate prequel started to appeal to me. I thought it would be really interesting to see a movie set between The Torment of Tantalus, and the original movie focusing on how Catherine took over research of the Stargate.

I imagine it as a sort of steampunk version of Stargate where there were possibly more expeditions through the Stargate and Catherine's father covered them up. Possibly an origin story for the rogue group from the N.I.D.?

Thoughts?

The plot seems kind of weak. I fail to see how people outside fandom would find it interesting
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I agree. The plot would have to include some action-oriented themes or combat to attract an audience along with a strong story line.

Comment

I don't think that enough happened in that time to justify a movie in that period.

I, however, think that a movie about how the Tok'Ra broke off from the G'ua'uld would be interesting. (I may have mispelled some stuff there)

Comment

Ancients Prequel, could be a trilogy.

Ancients Home Galaxy Origins, finding Milky Way inventing the Stargate

Ancients living in the MW, evolution and Technology, building Atlantis

Ancients fleeing to Pegasus, Activities in Pegasus and war with the wraith.

I'd watch it. Maybe it would be better as a mini-series.

Comment

Originally posted by Zashun View Post
            I just watched The Torment of Tantalus again and the idea of doing a movie that was a Stargate prequel started to appeal to me. I thought it would be really interesting to see a movie set between The Torment of Tantalus, and the original movie focusing on how Catherine took over research of the Stargate.

I imagine it as a sort of steampunk version of Stargate where there were possibly more expeditions through the Stargate and Catherine's father covered them up. Possibly an origin story for the rogue group from the N.I.D.?

Thoughts?
            The scientist getting the stargate working was an extremely rare coincidence and required WAY TOO MUCH power. Also it was never discovered until later a means of return. This presents a couple of problems I'll get to shortly.

Catherine's involvement with the Stargate program was hinted at throughout the series but I suggest maybe watching "1969".

The NID was formed much later. We already know the origins of the Rogue NID group. The purpose of the Stargate program "in the series" was to seek out technologies to aid Earth in it's defense against hostile forces, namely the Goa'uld (through establishing treaties and trade). The rogue group thought this didn't result in enough tangible items. Without a way to return the group (which has no reason to exist) falls flat.

It was Daniel Jackson that discovered the meaning of the symbols on the gate in the theatrical film and that's supported throughout the series canon as well.

Sorry but your prequel doesn't fit with the establish canon. That is unless you pull a "Star Trek: Enterprise" and do a prequel that largely ignores canon and simply doesn't fit.
            How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

The Stargate was never used between 1945 and 1996. The only known address was that to Heliopolis which was descovered by accident. You can see from 'the Torment of Tantalus' that no one else went there for a rescue. As stated in the beginning of that episode the incident was forgotten and the file on it lost. In '1969', you can see where the Stargate was kept in the 60's, and it is clear it was not in use. The Stargate could not be dialed until Daniel figured out the point of origin and the list of addresses the SGC use was found on Abydos which had nto been visited until the original movie. So in conclusion, I'm sorry but its a bad idea.
              ---------------------------------------------
              This message was brought to you by:
              The Church of Origin
              Murdering unbelievers since 10 000 000 BC
              -----------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew486DX View Post
                Activities in Pegasus and war with the wraith.
                Agreed, I'd love to see more on the war with the Wraith, that would be a great movie or mini-series.

Comment

How would you do prequels without anyone from contemporary Earth?

The stories would need explaining to non-Stargate fans, the characters would have to speak English and that would be hard to explain. Yes, I know the show skips that. But a lot of times in Stargate aliens explain how they accomplish this.

Without an understanding of the characters and their culture, the story wouldn't have any meaning for anyone and there would be a lost of a connection with what was going on.

Comment

mrja84 they could use janus and his time traveling jumper
                    or it could be shown from januses perspective or something
                    or they could show how our timeline came to be the way it is - janus made it this way - it could be a "how everything came to be" story but you would need series for this cuz it probably toke a lot of time traveling... janus - the new doctor
                    ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Originally posted by NIMBUS View Post
                      mrja84 they could use janus and his time traveling jumper
                      or it could be shown from januses perspective or something
                      or they could show how our timeline came to be the way it is - janus made it this way - it could be a "how everything came to be" story but you would need series for this cuz it probably toke a lot of time traveling... janus - the new doctor
                      Define "how everything came to be". Cause that's a broad term.

are you talking about the stargate network, the Ancients coming to the MK galaxy, why the Wraith fight the Ancients, etc?

We know all of this pretty much through second-hand or third-hand accounts.

No matter what happens, we will never see a pure prequel that does not have time-travel qualities. So there could be issues like Mobieus/Stargate Continuum were the events may have never took place.

Not to mention prequels are only good if they add something to the franchise or foreshadow a coming threat to SG-1/Atlantis/SGU.

Prequels are not a good idea if people already know what happened and what will happen (See Star Wars Prequel Trilogy).

Comment

well we know janus met elizabeth and he liked her and the future she told him about. so there may be a chance he wanted to ensure the future he was told. we know he rebuilt his time jumper and used it. we know he did some experiments by monitoring a planet and writing it down (the ep. was 'it's good to be king' (the lest epp with mayborne)). he conveniently left his jumper 4 us to find ( probably traveled into the future and saw that we need it (assumption)).

the time period could be - the moment he left elizabeth for earth up to 1st stargate movie

what we could see in it:
                        1) ancients just before the ascension
                        2) his failure to stop goa'uld from taking hold of galaxy or his hand in that (ouch)
                        3) maybe he had something to do with the creation of tok'ra (mommy tok'ra's evil genetic memory didn't kick in)
                        4) maybe he convinced myrdin into creating the holy grail
                        5) maybe myrdin's recollection of sg-1 wasn't an accident
                        5) his visit to destiny (ye )
                        6) maybe he's Sheppards daddy
                        7) all kinds of crazy stuff

and by "how everything came to be" i meant our defeat of goa'uld the ori and everyone else - doesn't that seem too lucky that sg-1 and it specially Daniel didn't die in all those 10 years they were running around the galaxy?

my imagination toke hold of me sorry
                        ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Actually, they did die. The Nox revived them, and if Daniel didn't go to the alternate dimension, we would never have known of the first Goa'uld attack.

Comment

yes well but events turned out ok so there would be no reason for janus to do back and change things

Comment

I think a great "prequel" ala Caprica, would be the Goa'uld first arriving in the Milky Way and seizing control. I would love to see the initial turmoil amongst them, told from their POV (clearly The Tudors demonstrates that even the biggest turd in the toilet bowl can come out smelling like a rose). And with their ability to take on different hosts, we would not (necessarily) need to keep the same actors throughout the whole series.

If someone else has come up with this idea, no infringement intended, as I came up with it on my own also!

Comment

Working...
                              X