This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why our 'amazing' science fiction future fizzled

(CNN) -- At the 1964 New York World's Fair, people stood in line for hours to look at a strange sight.

If only the future looked like "Star Trek," with its nifty gadgets that seem to solve every problem.

They wanted to see the "Futurama," a miniaturized replica of a typical 21st century American city that featured moving sidewalks, computer-guided cars zipping along congestion-free highways and resort hotels beneath the sea.

Forty years later, we're still waiting for those congestion-free highways -- along with the jet pack, the paperless office and all those "Star Trek"-like gadgets that were supposed to make 21st-century life so easy.

Daniel Wilson has been waiting as well. He's looked at the future we imagined for ourselves in pulp comic books, old science magazines and cheesy sci-fi movies from the 1950s, and came up with one question.

Why isn't the future what it used to be?

"I feel entitled to have all this technology that's been promised at a certain time," says Wilson, author of "Where's My Jetpack?" "I look up and say, 'Where's all this stuff?' ''

Some of that futuristic stuff, it turns out, is already here.

Visionaries actually invented objects like flying cars, but they could never work out the real world applications, Wilson says. Other inventions had the same problem. Ordinary people didn't want to have anything to do with them.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science...ack/index.html

i found this a interesting read feel free to comment
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Thanks for posting this.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm not sure I agree....
      • Major airports (or at least Pearson) do have moving sidewalks
      • I carry around a device small enough to fit in my pocket--smaller than Captain Kirk's communicator--with which I can quickly get in touch with anyone else in the world with a similar device. (Mobile phone)
      • Mass consumer video gaming has reached a point where full physical interactivity is required in order to fully enjoy the experience--but in most cases is also an optional choice. (Nintendo Wii)
      • User-friendly touch interface technology has recently entered the large-scale consumer market. (iPhone/iPod Touch)
      • Visual displays are now mere centimetres thick, rather than large, cumbersome and heavy. (LCD/plasma)
      • Immediate access to virtually any kind of information is readily available to significant numbers of the population. (Internet)

Basically, just try to imagine any modern technology as compared to what they had/imagined in the 50s and 60s. We're not living in darkness by any stretch of the imagination.

But DAMN I'm bitter I still don't have a hoverboard.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Also, from the article:

" 'Star Trek' was saying [that] a thousand years from now, people [will] figure out how to get along," Verheiden says.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          yea i laughed reading that line
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
            yea i laughed reading that line
            Same here. That will be the hardest one for mankind to achieve IMO.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The reason our future failed was because as a species, we have ADD. Consider this: Apollo 11 landed on the moon on July 24, 1969 and Neil Armstrong uttered his famous phrase, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." By the time Apollo 13 launched, a mere 8 months and 18 days later, no one gave a damn. We got lazy.

All that technology was imagined in a time where progress was happening fast in order to reach the goal of the moon. Once we did that, it was all over. To the public, there was no point anymore. So it's easy to see how science fiction writers of the day imagined flying cars, and yet it has not come to pass.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                The reason our future failed was because as a species, we have ADD. Consider this: Apollo 11 landed on the moon on July 24, 1969 and Neil Armstrong uttered his famous phrase, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." By the time Apollo 13 launched, a mere 8 months and 18 days later, no one gave a damn. We got lazy.

All that technology was imagined in a time where progress was happening fast in order to reach the goal of the moon. Once we did that, it was all over. To the public, there was no point anymore. So it's easy to see how science fiction writers of the day imagined flying cars, and yet it has not come to pass.
                I remember when I was in grammer school and it was so special to have a TV brought into the classroom and get to see a spaceship take off. It was Challenger.

I had my young nephews, 6 and 9 with me the weekend of Columbia. They didn't care. They watched it, said that the TV was just showing the same thing over and over, and went outside to play. Not traumatized by it. Just bored.

I can see why we don't have a huge base on the moon, but nothing??? No moon trips, orbit flights?

America has lost its vision.

Comment

Originally posted by RedHawk View Post
                  grammer school

I really liked your post though. Pitching some green your way

Comment

Yes and where is my personal Warp Drive Jet Pack?

Comment

screw flying cars wheres my interplanetary ring that create a stable artificial wormhole for travel to other planets and eventually galaxies!!!????if only i could remember wat its called...its on the top of my head ARG!!

Spoiler:
                      lol had to

Comment

What did people expect from years of growing anti-intellectualism? You can't just let the education system crumble and reduce funding for scientific research and then complain about the lack of technological progress.

Comment

A lot of it has to do with the fact that scientists aren't really getting money to do pure research, they only get funding if what they're working on has some practical application and can make money. Now practical application research is important, but pure research can turn up accidental discoveries which sometimes drive science and technology forward. There's also the lack of focus on science and math in the education system.
                          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Working...
                          X