Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A G.D.O Question...

Hullo folks,

I think this is the first thread I have started! Ahem.

To the best of my knowledge, the only time we have clearly seen a GDO was in The Tokra Part II, when the then Captain Carter taps her code into her GDO before she, her Father and Martouf dive into the Stargate and safety.

In Atlantis's pilot episode Dr Grodin makes reference to continuing the "tried and true" method of GDO use, and the Atlantis action figures come with a smaller version of the device. (The SG1 version matches the prop from the scene I mentioned above.)

I have seen far fewer eps of Atlantis than SG1 - did the standard GDO device get upgraded and shrunk in scale, much like real radios and mobile phones? If so, when?
    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

its just not shown alot, often they simply use it in between scenes or shots. or their chip implants auto-transmit a code. anyway, its not interesting to see them use it all the time when the same precious time can be used for cool shots etc

Comment

in the atlantis episode The Storm we see the atlantis version its not quite as big as a cell phone. it makes sense that it would be that small i mean c'mon all it has to have room for is the keypad. with just modern "micro-tech" the whole system incluting encription on the transmition can be squeezed between the buttons add to that alien tech and the whole thing is determined by how small are you willing to make the buttons? on the other hand you can only make it so small before you cant hit the buttons properly. especialy in a combat withdrawl you dont want to be messing with a keypad you have to hit with a pen-tip. enough of my rant. hell it might be neural now a small circut in their tracking implant and all they have to do is think send code and they're let in
      And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumDragon View Post
        in the atlantis episode The Storm we see the atlantis version its not quite as big as a cell phone. it makes sense that it would be that small i mean c'mon all it has to have room for is the keypad.
        Not complaining, I was just curious to know the history / reasoning behind the change if there was one! Thanks for the clarification!
        Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
        Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

sorry i'm not saying you were that's just how i talk
          And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

I think after the Genii invasion the Atlantis expedition might have had the GDO send out an automated signal to tell Chuck that its them... perhaps or maybe in between scenes they did it.

Comment

in the SG1 episode "Demons", at the end carter uses a GDO.

Comment

I am wondering if and when they will implant them and have them be mentally used..

Comment

never

Comment

it could explain allot

www.darkarmada.nl
                    www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

y'knoow the gdo may be encoded in their locater beacons and the jumpers may have a sub-routene to send the code after dialing. that could explain how michael got on the base thru the shield
                      Last edited by QuantumDragon; 24 August 2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I never understood why GDOs weren't bio-metrically coded, just install something like an electronic thumbprint scanner and you know who it is that's sending the IDC, no need to worry about locking out codes after a certain time period.

Comment

If an SG team member dies, and they have the GDO with them, all that would be needed to be done would be take the finger, and push it on the GDO. At least they have to be alive to input the code.
                          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                          Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                          If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                          Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                            If an SG team member dies, and they have the GDO with them, all that would be needed to be done would be take the finger, and push it on the GDO. At least they have to be alive to input the code.
                            I've heard that they require an actual living finger in order to work because of electrical fields emitted by the body or something like that.

Comment

I suppose. Another form of security could be a Stargate Forwarding device, and then a Fingerprint device.
                              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Working...
                              X