PDA

View Full Version : season 9, prez wants it, EXCITING NEWS

whitewizard
May 11th, 2004, 12:03 PM
i read in another thread on here that an interview done with a paper called multichannel news a few days ago, the Scfi channels president and exec producer said that they want a season 9, see below,

FYI - SciFi Prez. Bonnie Hammer and Exec. Prod. Michael Greenburg made the following remarks about season nine. The quotes are excerpted from a big Stargate feature, published on May 3, 2004, in Multichannel News - a cousin to Variety. (Both publications are owned by the same corporate parent.)

#######
SG-1’s ratings momentum begs the obvious question: Is season eight, rumored to be the last, truly the end of the line?

“I don’t! I don’t think it will be. “Greenburg asserted, “If the demand is there, I think the show will be there. I think it can continue. Sci Fi’s a fairly new network. We’re the highest rated show they’ve ever had. We’ve broken their records. It just feels like it’s too early to go away.”

Can Atlantis and SG-1 really co-exist in parallel universes? “Yes, absolutely. I don’t know if Rick would continue. But who knows? You never know until the offer’s on the table. But I think the franchise now is becoming bigger than the people.”

Even Hammer leaves the door ajar. “Never say never. We love it, we embrace it…it’s such an amazing franchise. I couldn’t honestly say to you: now it’s season eight and it’s over. It just might not be.”

so if the prez of scfi channel wants it, it looks like season 9 is on the cards we know that chris judge, amanda tapping and michael shanks wanna do it and maybe rda can be convinced if his working schedule works out in season 8, so wot you guys think about this?

dont forget the prez said he wants it!!!!!

can stress that enough

SO WOT U ALL THINK EXCITING OR WOT????

the_fours
May 11th, 2004, 12:17 PM
well most people are always up for stargate sg-1 to go on, i think the main problem is rda and his schedule on the show.

Shipperahoy
May 11th, 2004, 12:17 PM
I think that I'll wait until I see how season 8 goes before I start hip hip hooraying for a season 9. With Jack at a desk job and no Hammond there will be some big changes this season and it remains to be seen how said changes will be handled. I am not, however, one of the people who hated season 7. I, in fact, quite enjoyed it and if I keep enjoying it then I'm all for a season 9.

zebrok
May 11th, 2004, 12:42 PM
well most people are always up for stargate sg-1 to go on, i think the main problem is rda and his schedule on the show.

I want to believe that most fans want the show to continue but looking on these boards (and the old ones too) I get the impression that many do not. I for the life of me can not figure out why they come here to complain to the people that still like the show but that's another issue.

As for the original post: WOW, I hope that's all true. And I do agree with Greenburg, the concept and therefore the franchisehttp://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/stargate.gif is bigger than RDAhttp://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/jack.gif. Even if he cant be a part of the show it can still be great. I sure hope he can continue on but it need not be the end of the world if he cant. I love him on the show and his humor that he brings to the show but its not like he is an acting God or anything. There are actually actors out in the world that could contribute to the show just as much as he does albeit in a diferent method. I'm not suggesting someone else play Jack O'Neil but they can add someone new to make it seem less like the team is missing a memberhttp://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/daniel.gifhttp://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/sam.gifhttp://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/tealc.gif. Now the only question is if TPTB would be able or willing to pay for the caliber actor that would be required.

Well anyway, I'm just grateful for the ray of hope shining towards season 9.......and beyond. :D

bcmilco
May 11th, 2004, 12:55 PM
IMO s7 was average for a stargate season which means it was better then most of what's out there ;) and I'm very much looking forward to s8... but with all the changes I'm worried they may "break" something, or damage the show more, then RDAs reduced schedual already has. I do think the show could go on without him, but I'd miss him.

In theory I'd love for Stargate to go 10 seasons, or more :p

But in reality I'll wait until I've seen where they take us in s8 and how they handle the changes before I take a stand on a 9th or future seasons. :)

ShadowMaat
May 11th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Of course Hammer wants Stargate to continue, it's making her M*O*N*E*Y. She cares nothing about the quality of the show or whether or not folks want it to continue or how it'll all work out in the stories, as long as there is M*O*N*E*Y to be made, she's going to support it.

Osiris
May 11th, 2004, 01:05 PM
I want to believe that most fans want the show to continue but looking on these boards (and the old ones too) I get the impression that many do not. I for the life of me can not figure out why they come here to complain to the people that still like the show but that's another issue.

Agree.

Btw, great news!!! SG1 has to beat X-Files! :D
Seriously, I want Anna Louise Plowman and Corin Nemec as regular in season 9 IF RDA would leave.

Elwe Singollo
May 11th, 2004, 01:35 PM
If people don't think the show should go on to season 9, then stop watching, simple as that, but i would be happy for a season 9 :)

bcmilco
May 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM
If people don't think the show should go on to season 9, then stop watching, simple as that, but i would be happy for a season 9 :)

I enjoy what the show is, and I enjoy what the show was. I'm not say that I won't enjoy what it will become, however I'm leary about what could happen. But I'm still optimistic :D

Some people have stopped wathching because they don't like the direction the show has taken, but they still really enjoyed what the show used to be, and still want to talk about it, here, with other fans, and I can respect that.

Bagpuss
May 11th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Of course Hammer wants Stargate to continue, it's making her M*O*N*E*Y. She cares nothing about the quality of the show or whether or not folks want it to continue or how it'll all work out in the stories, as long as there is M*O*N*E*Y to be made, she's going to support it.

All Hail the Mighty Dollar! :( (Or insert Currency of choice)

As soon as any show fails to meet exec-set audience figures,it usually gets the chop!

I'd probably make a useless t.v. executive,as I'd find it hard to treat shows as mere product.

As far as I'm concerned,I'd rather not have a Season 9,if it meant weak stories and jaded actors/writers/etc !

I've no real wish to end up despising Stargate SG-1,and would prefer it to go out with a bang ,rather than a whimper.

Having said all this,I'm still looking forward to Season 8 and SG Atlantis!! :D

Dani347
May 11th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I for the life of me can not figure out why they come here to complain to the people that still like the show but that's another issue.

Because it isn't called the "Ooh, Stargate Is Great, No Criticisms Allowed Board" It's a board to discuss Stargate, and talking about how some feel that the show has lost its quality and that season 9 is probably a bad idea is just as much discussing Stargate as saying, "ooh, Stargate is just the most wonderful show ever, and always will be, no matter what they do to it."

And, I don't have any power here, but I wish the blanket "stop watching" everytime someone dares to criticize the show would cease. If some people don't see flaws and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, fine. But, since it's a tv show, not the Holy Grail, the planets won't go out of alignment and send the world into darkness before it explodes killing us all, if some people *gasp* criticize. Or, even *mercy!* and *heaven's to Betsy* think that it's jumped the shark entirely.

ShadowMaat
May 11th, 2004, 03:30 PM
There are actually actors out in the world that could contribute to the show just as much as he does albeit in a diferent method. ...Now the only question is if TPTB would be able or willing to pay for the caliber actor that would be required.

They had someone. His name was Corin Nemec (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005269/). :P So I'd have to say that no, TPTB are not willing to shell out money for high caliber actors. :P

I for the life of me can not figure out why they come here to complain to the people that still like the show but that's another issue.

Because last time I checked, people were allowed to disagree and find faults. ;) If I've missed a memo then by all means, please accept my apologies.

Y'know, if Stargate goes for S9 and beyond, that's no skin off my nose. I won't be watching it, but it's not like I'm going to campaign to stop it from happening.

For the record, I DID have problems with Stargate this past season and I HAVE stopped watching and I still come here because I love what the show WAS and because I have some hope- however futile- that there might be at least one or two good eps next season.

I've also made friends here. I like trading snarks with people, quipping back and forth, discussing what I love- and hate- about the show, and most of all, I stick around to promote Luke. :P

If someone wants to hear ONLY good things about Stargate, then now is probably an excellent opportunity to find out if there's a size limit on your ignore list. Every time anyone says anything remotely negative, go ahead and add them to your list. Pretty soon, the only comments you'll be reading will be praising Stargate and deifying the characters and glory be, you'll be surrounded by Happy Shiny People with their rainbow and puppy dog thoughts.

Me, I still prefer the occasional snake in the grass. ;)

bcmilco
May 11th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I like trading snarks with people, quipping back and forth, discussing what I love- and hate- about the show, and most of all, I stick around to promote Luke. :P

And you do it all with such style, and flair :p

LiquidEnforcer
May 11th, 2004, 03:46 PM
The only reason I started watching this show is because I used to always watch MacGyver and really liked it. I think id rather have RDA take some time off in season 8 (like Shanks did in season 6(i think)) so he could come back with more exposure in a season 9. And since I dont like odd numbers, eventually a season 10 :)

I was pretty pissed that Atlantis didnt have any of the original actors from SG1 in it, from what I saw in the trailers. But that was because I thought Atlantis was effectively season 8. I had no idea there was going to be 2 seperate shows. But I still hope SG-1 can continue on for another year or 3.

SGSlugger
May 11th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Seriously, if RDA left how many people would feel that SG-1 was missing something? I know I would. Jack brings humor to the scene, and a sense that SG-1 is taking place now.
Like someone said, a lot of people watch the show for RDA from MacGyver. I was watching it once, and my grandmother comes up and goes: "Oh is that MacGyver?" and sat down and watched it.
I would love to see SG-1 go to season 9 and beyond, but if RDA become even more reduced, or left, I would feel like I lost a friend.

Major Tyler
May 11th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I would absolutely love Season 9! If http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/daniel.gif http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/sam.gif & http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/tealc.gif are willing to come back, they could carry the show and we could slowly introduce new characters and learn to love them. The show could be like "ER" and "Law & Order" with casts rotating out when they can no longer do the series.

I'm a firm believer that Stargate can exist without http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/jack.gif. I love him to death but he's not the only reason I watch. I certainly hope Stargate lasts a good long time. Let's beat ther "X-Files" record of ten seasons, and then reach beyond! Maybe even bring back http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/jonas.gif :-)

bcmilco
May 11th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Let's beat ther "X-Files" record of ten seasons,

X-Files had 9 seasons. :)

Major Tyler
May 11th, 2004, 04:41 PM
X-Files had 9 seasons. :)9 plus 1. :)

Elwe Singollo
May 11th, 2004, 04:42 PM
If Atlantis isn't as good as i thought it would be, and SG-1 is still on the air, i wouldn't mind SG-1 staying on for at least another year.

bcmilco
May 11th, 2004, 04:46 PM
9 plus 1. :)

9 seasons:
http://www.scifi.com/xfiles/episodes/year9.html

ShadowMaat
May 11th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Seriously, if RDA left how many people would feel that SG-1 was missing something?

I think Stargate is already missing something. Several somethings. :P However, the show survived and thrived without Shanks (or it survived, anyway, if you feel THAT way about it) so I think that it could survive the loss of RDA.

Would it be the same show? Of course not! How could it be? But just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad. Unless TPTB keep writing the same kinda storylines then yeah, it'll be bad. ;)

There's also the matter of whether it SHOULD go on, just because it can. I think there's already a season 9 thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=483) to discuss that.

Personally, I think that touting X-Files as a shining example of a long-surviving show is nuts. Even the actors thought the show was bad for the last few seasons. They were all happy skippy during filming but now that a few years have passed, they're admitting things sucked. And wanting the show to continue JUST so it can beat XF's record??! I'm not even gonna comment on that.

Maybe the fans who stuck through all nine seasons were so cracked up and delusional at that point that they hallucinated an extra season. :P

Elwe Singollo
May 11th, 2004, 05:25 PM
I totally agree with you :) , any show would be different if a major character left the show, in which Michael Shanks did. The show was still as good with Corin Nemec. I would follow the series even if RDA left, but it wouldn't feel the same.

SaberBlade
May 11th, 2004, 05:38 PM
well SG-1 did fine without Shanks so i don't see why it wouldn't do well without RDA. i do think the show wouldn't be the same without him (just like it wasn't the same without Shanks) but that doesn't mean the show will fail.

i would love a 9th season but it for me it not also depend on who they get to replace him but also depend on how it would effect the second movie. should RDA decide on a 9th season, the writers will have to come up with stuff to limit the amount of time he has in each episode and sooner or later they will end up writing him out of it altogether. he didn't have a lot of screen time in S7, HIGHLIGHT: with his promotion in s8 that will mean even less time on screen. i think that a 9th season would last without RDA but not a second

Elwe Singollo
May 11th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Well, people say that the show wouldn't last or something, well RDA was practically absent throughout the whole season 6/7 (well not absent, but you could really tell that he wasn't in all of scenes). The show still was interesting, the show got renewed, the show was still nice and everything. Blah, im' rambling again... :)

Liotius
May 11th, 2004, 06:11 PM
"Amazingly, the longer the series goes on, the easier it is to come up with ideas, because you've got the backstories," he said. "You've got past episodes you can draw off of for future episodes. The longer we go, the more stories we have. I'm looking ahead to seasons 12 and 13."

:eek:

From :http://scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-05/11/11.30.sfc

SaberBlade
May 11th, 2004, 06:37 PM
wow, we can only hope that it goes to a series 12 and 13 but i am really interested in the return of an old enemy and this Villian versus Villain scenario, since Anubis is a new enemy could Apophis or Hathor return? (although i could see Sokar or Heru'ur)

ShadowMaat
May 11th, 2004, 06:41 PM
How about Aschen vs. Replicator?

Ancient
May 11th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Alright I'm new here and obivously not up to date why does RDA have a reduced shooting schedule..is he sick or is he just geting tired of doing the show...If someone wcould please clarify this

SaberBlade
May 11th, 2004, 08:14 PM
How about Aschen vs. Replicator?

good idea but it would be pretty much a 1 sided fight. if the Asgard had to freeze the replicators in time so i don't see what the Aschen could do.

Alright I'm new here and obivously not up to date why does RDA have a reduced shooting schedule..is he sick or is he just geting tired of doing the show...If someone wcould please clarify this

i have heard it is to spend with time with his daughter or all of his kids, not sure which but it does have somethng to do with spending more time with his family

Madeleine
May 11th, 2004, 09:26 PM

It's not really *simple* as that though.

Having been enthralled by Babylon 5 for four years I found the fifth series to be dire. I couldn't stop watching though; tried to, but coudn't. Not even sure why, just couldn't. It'd be the same for Stargate - not that I want to stop watching, but if ever I *do* start finding it awful it'll be all I can to to just not buy the DVDs.

And yes, my decision, my responsibility, my silliness. But I suspect I'm not alone ;)

Supreme Commander Thor
May 11th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Season 9, 10, 11... I will take as many as they can dish out. Sure, every season has episodes that some folks dont like. But number of good episodes dwarf the number of bad. It is a great show, and even with a reduced RDA presence it would still be great. Missing something? yes, but still good.

SaharaGate
May 12th, 2004, 01:19 AM
I'm still enjoying the show now so I have no reason not to be optimistic about a season 9....sure, they could completely ruin it. Or it could be really awesome. Might even improve, or at least stay at the same level it is now. There are some things I'm not too happy about in season 7 but they haven't ruined the entire show for me. So assuming things don't go rapidly downhill next season (and I'm not reading spoilers...much... :rolleyes: so I wouldnt' know), then I'll be tuning in for it.

They had someone. His name was Corin Nemec (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005269/). :P So I'd have to say that no, TPTB are not willing to shell out money for high caliber actors. :P

I grew to quite enjoy Jonas' role on the show but I'm not sure he would fit in as another member of SG1. His purpose, if not his character, was fairly similar to Daniel's...so unles TPTB gave him LOTS of development, I'm not sure it would work well. If they develop him more though, that would be cool (just keep him like he was in season 6, not like in Fallout. For some reason that episode really bugged me). I'm also not too sure I would describe corin as a 'high caliber actor'. At least not yet and certainly no more than some of the great regulars and guest stars we've seen on stargate. I thought Teryl was great, but I won't go there...

SNIP
Y'know, if Stargate goes for S9 and beyond, that's no skin off my nose. I won't be watching it, but it's not like I'm going to campaign to stop it from happening.

For the record, I DID have problems with Stargate this past season and I HAVE stopped watching and I still come here because I love what the show WAS and because I have some hope- however futile- that there might be at least one or two good eps next season.

Just for interest's sake, when did you stop watching? What was the last episode you watched, the one that made you go "That's it. I'm through. No more. :mad: "

Hehe, that's probably exactly how some people view you lol. Not me though. For some reason I find your posts funnier than almost anyone's on here, even though I probably disagree 60% of the time. Also found your little fluffy fic challenges hilarious! Particularly the one with the alternate reality being OUR reality. TOO funny. That would make a brilliant ep. :D

ShadowMaat
May 12th, 2004, 03:32 AM
I grew to quite enjoy Jonas' role on the show but I'm not sure he would fit in as another member of SG1. His purpose, if not his character, was fairly similar to Daniel's...so unles TPTB gave him LOTS of development, I'm not sure it would work well.

Oh, I'm not saying he should be brought back again. TPTB pretty much wasted him while they had him, so I doubt that would change. You're free to disagree with my dubbing Corin high-caliber, but the way I look at it, he has more solid acting credits under his belt (ie movies/shows that normal people have actually seen) than a majority of the regular cast. RDA and DSD are the other two who spring immediately to mind. And Dom, of course. ;)

Just for interest's sake, when did you stop watching? What was the last episode you watched, the one that made you go "That's it. I'm through. No more. :mad: "

It started with the gate of the Abydans in Full Circle and then continued on to the rushedness, the lack of synergy, the ridiculous contrivances and the appallingly blatant ripoff/homage in Fallen/Homecoming. The dropping of vital storylines to make way for empty sensationalism. Daniel was almost as badly mistreated and misused as Jonas was. None of the following eps improved my outlook although Fragile Balance was great solely because of Michael Welch's performance. But the ep where I actually turned off the TV and said, "No more"? Revisions. It was one of the dullest, tritest, most ridiculous, boring, tedious, unimaginative, non-perilous eps of television I've ever had the misfortune to watch. I think I liked the visual effect of passing through the bubble, that was it. And that one little thing didn't come close to making the rest of that waste of time worthwhile.

I've been back a few times. Saw Fallout, Chimera and Heroes (all of which had their good points), but in general I've had no compulsion to start tuning in again.

Glad ya like my posts. ;) I figure if I can't always be strictly nice, I can at least be interesting. :D

On topic: I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if S9 happened. I will, however, be very curious to see if all the fans clamouring for more seasons end up being happy with the results. :P

Anthro Girl
May 12th, 2004, 03:47 AM
The cynic in me (which is the usual dominant personality...the other is a realist) will point out that Prez Hammer will say that 1) because SG1 is currently a money maker, 2) Atlantis has the potential to be a money maker and 3) any negative comments will potentially hurt Season 8 and Atlantis, in which they (SciFi) have invested lots of money and have yet to be broadcast.

Elfinwood
May 12th, 2004, 05:17 AM
The cynic in me (which is the usual dominant personality...the other is a realist) will point out that Prez Hammer will say that 1) because SG1 is currently a money maker, 2) Atlantis has the potential to be a money maker and 3) any negative comments will potentially hurt Season 8 and Atlantis, in which they (SciFi) have invested lots of money and have yet to be broadcast.

Yes. I also wonder how long it will be until the increase in all of the new viewers who appeared with the move to the SciFi channel will level off. Then they will start to get more realistic viewing numbers because what will be left will be the true fan base. The bottom line will most assuredly be effected and her viewpoint might be entirely different. I have a few friends who started to watch, watched all of the early episodes on Monday nights and the new episodes on Fridays and are now starting to drift away from the show. They don't appear to be overly excited about the new season starting in July. I believe they will be only occasional viewers, if that. Then again, I have two sisters who have become avid viewers, but their viewing hinges on a particular pairing. If RDA was to leave the show, I'm positive that they would also stop watching.

ShadowMaat
May 12th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Two things:

I wanted to point out that I still consider myself a "true" fan even though I'm not watching anymore. A "true" fan, to me, is just someone who genuinely loves the show. It is NOT someone who will continue watching no matter what. A true fan takes the good with the bad... but also knows where to draw the line.

I'd also like to remind folks that David Duchovny left X-Files and the show continued on without him even though he was definitely most folks' main draw.

Tok'Ra Hostess
May 12th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Everybody says that,... 'til they get bitten.

<giggles a la Urgo> Sorry. I couldn't help myself! :D

To ALL: (gee, just like old times at Delphi! :rolleyes: )

The thing is, Sci-Fi will only support the SG franchise if they can make lotsa money off it. They can only make money off it if the ratings are high. So far the ratings are the Sci-Fi channel's dreams come true. If the ratings are high - consistently high - that means a lot of viewers are consistently tuning in. That doesn't automatically mean the show is top quality, I agree, but, quite frankly, how many shows are, anymore? :(

So, strictly my own opinion, if there's a season nine, I'll most likely watch it. I love the show for the Stargate, and though I have my fav characters, I accept the fact that anyone can be replaced. If I decide I don't like the result, I'll tune out. When the franchise makes (enough) mistakes, so will too many other viewers and the show will be canceled(D'uh!).

keshou
May 12th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Yes. I also wonder how long it will be until the increase in all of the new viewers who appeared with the move to the SciFi channel will level off. Then they will start to get more realistic viewing numbers because what will be left will be the true fan base. The bottom line will most assuredly be effected and her viewpoint might be entirely different. I have a few friends who started to watch, watched all of the early episodes on Monday nights and the new episodes on Fridays and are now starting to drift away from the show. They don't appear to be overly excited about the new season starting in July. I believe they will be only occasional viewers, if that. Then again, I have two sisters who have become avid viewers, but their viewing hinges on a particular pairing. If RDA was to leave the show, I'm positive that they would also stop watching.

I've also wondered this. Right now the repeats of the early seasons seem to be feeding the new episodes and the new episodes are kind of feeding the viewing of the repeats as new viewers scramble to catch up on the backstory. I think that's one reason they're so reluctant to stop production of the show because I believe the ratings for the repeats, once there are no longer any new episodes of show, will go down quite a bit. (I don't have any proof or studies to back me up, just my opinion. )

If Atlantis takes off I think they could choose to end production of SG-1 but leave it open to do a TV miniseries or TV movie with the original cast. RDA would probably consider that and it might help preserve the ratings for the repeats if there were occasional appearances of the original SG-1 team in new TV miniseries or even in guest spots on Atlantis. I'd be more interested in seeing a really well-done SG-1 miniseries down the road, rather than a season 9.

SaharaGate
May 12th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Oh, I'm not saying he should be brought back again. TPTB pretty much wasted him while they had him, so I doubt that would change. You're free to disagree with my dubbing Corin high-caliber, but the way I look at it, he has more solid acting credits under his belt (ie movies/shows that normal people have actually seen) than a majority of the regular cast. RDA and DSD are the other two who spring immediately to mind. And Dom, of course. ;)

Well I guess I've just managed to miss all of his appearances lol. But then, having a lot of experience or credits doesn't necessarily make you a great actor. ;) But I'm not saying he isn't great, or that he's bad, he just doesn't stand out heaps for me. He did make me smile though. :) I love DSD and Dom too. And how could I not love Michael Shanks...*sigh*. And RDA *double sigh*.

It started with the gate of the Abydans in Full Circle and then continued on to the rushedness, the lack of synergy, the ridiculous contrivances and the appallingly blatant ripoff/homage in Fallen/Homecoming. The dropping of vital storylines to make way for empty sensationalism. Daniel was almost as badly mistreated and misused as Jonas was. None of the following eps improved my outlook although Fragile Balance was great solely because of Michael Welch's performance. But the ep where I actually turned off the TV and said, "No more"? Revisions. It was one of the dullest, tritest, most ridiculous, boring, tedious, unimaginative, non-perilous eps of television I've ever had the misfortune to watch. I think I liked the visual effect of passing through the bubble, that was it. And that one little thing didn't come close to making the rest of that waste of time worthwhile.

Hmmm I didn't like the whole 'let's ascend all of abydos' thing either and a few other things, but i have found that the good episodes outweigh the problematic ones for me. I enjoyed Revisions, even though I guessed the problem and the solution in advance, though I didn't enjoy it as much as other episodes.

I've been back a few times. Saw Fallout, Chimera and Heroes (all of which had their good points), but in general I've had no compulsion to start tuning in again.

For me, Fallout and Space Race were the problematic episodes of Season 7. And Chimera....Pete didn't seem a believable love interest for Sam. Wish they'd used agent Barret.

Glad ya like my posts. ;) I figure if I can't always be strictly nice, I can at least be interesting. :D

On topic: I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if S9 happened. I will, however, be very curious to see if all the fans clamouring for more seasons end up being happy with the results. :P

I'm not exactly clamouring for more seasons, but am remaining cautiously optimistic. Atlantis could really freshen things up. Or it could suck, but I'm hoping for the former.

McKay is enough reason to tune in to Atlantis and (to stay on topic), Season 9 could compliment it really well.

the_fours
May 12th, 2004, 07:12 AM
:P

Did you watch lost ciy? because even if i had stopped watchin stargate (which will never happen) i think that episode would be the one exception to the rule

ShadowMaat
May 12th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Did you watch lost ciy? because even if i had stopped watchin stargate (which will never happen) i think that episode would be the one exception to the rule

I had planned to, but then I read the spoilers and found out that it was basically a rewrite of/homage to Fifth Race and with all the shippy overtones hinted at as well, I decided to skip it. From the sound of things, it was the right choice. :P

the_fours
May 12th, 2004, 07:22 AM
pt1 one was more a homage than pt2 and the majority of the ship is in pt1 as well with one or two vary brief (fortunately) scenes of ship one of which is right at the end so you can switch off as soon as those parts become clear

try it out

Anubis
May 12th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Season 12 and 13?

I think that's looking too far ahead. Besides, the lack of O'Neill currently, it would be even worse then!!!

Shipperahoy
May 12th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Two things:

I wanted to point out that I still consider myself a "true" fan even though I'm not watching anymore. A "true" fan, to me, is just someone who genuinely loves the show. It is NOT someone who will continue watching no matter what. A true fan takes the good with the bad... but also knows where to draw the line.

I hate that people try to define what makes a fan. People are fans if they consider themselves fans not just if they follow the show with a blind adoration no matter what the faults.

I'd also like to remind folks that David Duchovny left X-Files and the show continued on without him even though he was definitely most folks' main draw.

And for a great many people that was when the show turned into complete crap. I only watched maybe 5 or 6 episodes of the last 2 seasons. And for me it wasn't even really that David Duchovny was gone, even though I loved the character. It was that the writers just couldn't seem to make it work without him. I don't know if that makes sense. It's kind of hard to put into words, especially on a computer. I think they could have made it work with no Duchovny but they failed miserably. IMO.

ShadowMaat
May 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM
And for a great many people that was when the show turned into complete crap.

I thought XF turned to crap when it lost its two best writers: Morgan & Wong. ;) They wrote most of the best early-series eps (and Brother Darin was a genius with the comedic stuff), they introduced some of the best characters (like the Lone Gunmen) and they, at least, knew how to write subtle ship. :P

Still, the point isn't whether or not the show was any good without DD, the point is it continued anyway. I have a feeling the same would happen to Stargate if RDA left. The writing might be crap, but it'd still be on the air, mostly because of all those "true" fans who are gonna watch no matter what. ;)

Shipperahoy
May 12th, 2004, 09:29 AM
What's disheartening was that if they could get the ratings they would keep it on the air even if all they had for a writing staff were a bunch of chimps. What's even more disheartening is that if they had the actors compete for a million dollars and every week you could vote one of them off the show it would probably get the best ratings in t.v. history.

ShadowMaat
May 12th, 2004, 09:33 AM
What's even more disheartening is that if they had the actors compete for a million dollars and every week you could vote one of them off the show it would probably get the best ratings in t.v. history.

Luke would win, you know he would. ;) Either that or he'd poison everyone except Sam and Sam would win but they'd get married. :D

Anthro Girl
May 12th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I have a few friends who started to watch, watched all of the early episodes on Monday nights and the new episodes on Fridays and are now starting to drift away from the show. They don't appear to be overly excited about the new season starting in July. I believe they will be only occasional viewers, if that. Then again, I have two sisters who have become avid viewers, but their viewing hinges on a particular pairing. If RDA was to leave the show, I'm positive that they would also stop watching.

I have no perspective on who else is watching. I know of one person who watches it in syndication because Friday night on SciFi conflicts with something else. She's not a regular watcher, but likes the show. I know of one other who watches, but again, not regularly. He generally takes his sci-fi very seriously and considers SG-1 to be fun. If the storylines for SG-1 are all built on long backstory or arcs, new viewers might feel left out (kinda like I did when I watched three episodes of Farscape in its last season). The DVDs are out there, but it takes a lot of effort to get caught up. I know...we're currently watching the entire series over again in prep for S8. All other TV is out. Netflix is on hold. :D

Teal'c
May 12th, 2004, 12:01 PM
I'm more than willing for a Season 9, but only if Rick comes back. It just wouldn't be SG-1 without Rick. It's possible it COULD work if they brought back in Corin Nemec, or changed the show around a bit focusing a little more a couple of other characters (SG-13 anyone?) I don't know, I want Season 9 with Rick!

Elwe Singollo
May 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM
I would totally love the show if it went to Season 9, although it would be sad if RDA leaves :(

Ugly Pig
May 12th, 2004, 01:19 PM
But you've stopped watching! How would you know about them? :)

ShadowMaat
May 12th, 2004, 01:24 PM
But you've stopped watching! How would you know about them? :)

Ever heard of something called SPOILERS? :P Plus there's always general leakage on some of the threads. I can pick up plenty from that.

Elwe Singollo
May 12th, 2004, 04:30 PM
The only thing that i dislike about every season of stargate, it has tons and tons of stand-alone episodes, sometimes theres a great episode, then the next episode has no mention of it, although i do understand sometimes its not needed.

Lil Naitch
May 12th, 2004, 05:53 PM
If they go for a season 9, they need to go the Law and Order route. New team, new characters. Don't focus just on the original memebers of SG1.

ShadowMaat
May 12th, 2004, 05:55 PM
If they go for a season 9, they need to go the Law and Order route. New team, new characters. Don't focus just on the original memebers of SG1.

Careful, I almost got my head taken off for suggesting that on the old board. ;) "It's called Stargate SG-1! It wouldn't be SG-1 if it was about other teams, would it??!" :P

Elwe Singollo
May 12th, 2004, 07:07 PM
I totally agree Shadow, i don't want to see no 'new' castmember(s). (exception for Jonas)

ShadowMaat
May 12th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Actually, I wouldn't mind the occasional non-SG-1-centric ep... if I thought the writers could do justice to it. ;) But I got blasted for daring to suggest that the show shift focus off SG-1 a bit. :P

Elwe Singollo
May 12th, 2004, 07:17 PM
When they 'tried' to make episode not about SG-1, like in the episode 'the other guys', i think that was the title, that episode wasn't as good as i expected, and the dude(s) were so annoying. But i did enjoy a little the episode where a new president was elected, but yah, i still missed my SG-1 members :(

PenguinOnTheTele
May 12th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Sure I could go for season 9... I could go for 13...24... but the sg-1 will at some point stop being the show that we enjoy, and just turn into a terrible mutation of it. Is there a show without RDA? That's the true question. I think that they could go on after he leaves the show, but it won't be the same show... the dynamic would be diffrent... and I honestly don't think I'd be watching it.

tara3583
May 12th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Stargate has a great future so i can see a s9 then sg1 movies!:)

LateFan
May 13th, 2004, 06:37 AM
I started watching Stargate for the story not RDA. Don't get me wrong though. The best moments in SG-1 belong to him but the show could survive without him. I would continue watching anything with the Stargate name on it, as long as it wasn't Infinity. For future seasons have RDA as a recurring character and maybe a couple RDA-centric episodes a season. As long as the writing is solid, Stargate can life on forever in any incarnation. Another way to go is to let SG-1 out go out on top after this season and put all the focus on Atlantis and make it as good as SG-1.

tauripeg
May 13th, 2004, 08:12 AM
I started watching Stargate for the story not RDA. Don't get me wrong though. The best moments in SG-1 belong to him but the show could survive without him. I would continue watching anything with the Stargate name on it, as long as it wasn't Infinity. For future seasons have RDA as a recurring character and maybe a couple RDA-centric episodes a season. As long as the writing is solid, Stargate can life on forever in any incarnation. Another way to go is to let SG-1 out go out on top after this season and put all the focus on Atlantis and make it as good as SG-1.

I agree with late fan. I am going to wait for this season to see how they handle things. I would only want there to be a season 9 if it could be done with good storylines, and characters that we still like and root for. Otherwise I would love for there to be a mini series or a movie to tie up whatever loose ends that there may be from season 8. :cool: It would be great if RDA could be involved but I don't think that it would ruin it all if he was'nt. Lets just wait and see what happens and keep the faith.
:)

the_fours
May 13th, 2004, 08:16 AM
here!here! as far as im concerned it needs either one of the following points to work as stargate sg-1

firstly, the stargate
secondly, sg-1, even if it is just focused on individual characters and this also means that it is possible to get away with adding new characters to the team as long as the team is called sg-1 there is no problem.

so far i have not seen an ep that doesnt fit either or both of these criteria and i dare anyone to name an ep that doesnt.

*prepares for barrage of comments*

LateFan
May 13th, 2004, 09:11 AM
I forgot one thing. And please I welcome comments. BRING BACK JONAS. His character had so much potential and to be written off so quickly because Michael Shanks was coming back was so wrong. Now please do not take this as anti-Daniel or anti-Michael Shanks. I like the character and the easy back and forth between him and Jack are some of the funnier moments in SG-1. But to suddenly say "Well Daniel is coming back. Dump Jonas and have it back to the original four" is almost an insult. I would like to have seen 1 of 2 things happen. Add Jonas to the Atlantis team. Or add him to SG-1 now that Jack is not part of SG-1. I realize development into both Atlantis and S8 of sg-1 are too far to possible do this but a person can dream. Can't they? :p

ShadowMaat
May 13th, 2004, 09:25 AM
I would like to have seen 1 of 2 things happen. Add Jonas to the Atlantis team.

He was supposed to be on the team. When Corin originally signed on for season six it was with the intention of his character being spun off to Atlantis after that. But S7 happened. And MS happened. And the writers said, "See ya!" And that's the end of that. :(

Or add him to SG-1 now that Jack is not part of SG-1. I realize development into both Atlantis and S8 of sg-1 are too far to possible do this but a person can dream. Can't they? :p

That'll never happen either. First off, I think it's pretty clear that the writers have no interest in the character. Otherwise they would have done a better job with him when they had the chance and they would have managed to make him a part of S7 as Daniel was in S6- through casual mentions, offhand comments, etc. The fact that they haven't and the fact that they've sketched out the first half of S8 and Corin still hasn't been contacted about reprising the role of Jonas... that tells me that it's never gonna happen. :(

Second of all, Jonas should be his own, unique character. He shouldn't be "the guy brought in to replace the other guy". Bring him in to "replace" Jack in S8 as he "replaced" Daniel in S6, that's wrong, and a detriment to his character.

Also, personally, I think that if ANYONE is brought into the team, it should be someone with military/combat experience. Jonas got some exposure in S6, but not enough to help fill the gap that Jack would leave. A seasoned military leader is what I think would be needed, and that simply isn't Jonas.

Elwe Singollo
May 13th, 2004, 11:41 AM
But i don't get why you think he 'would' be brought back as a team leader, maybe he could be brought back as something else. I do agree, Jonas absolutely should not be added to the team just to replace, but i think he should return just to be an allie of some sort, but this time, we would 'actually see' them.

Madeleine
May 13th, 2004, 12:18 PM
A seasoned military leader is what I think would be needed.

Like Adam Baldwin? He was good.

ShadowMaat
May 13th, 2004, 12:20 PM
But i don't get why you think he 'would' be brought back as a team leader, maybe he could be brought back as something else.

Because if you're going to fill a "gap" you're going to fill it with something similar. The team lost Daniel and gained Jonas, who could fulfill some of the same functions as Daniel. The team is gonna lose Jack, so if they get a replacement (someone to fill the gap) it should be someone who can fulfill some of the same functions as Jack. Which means it won't be Jonas. ;)

I agree that it would be wonderful to see Jonas again, to have him get his own multi-ep arc that will finally do a bit of justice to his character and establish himself as a unique individual and not just someone to say Daniel's lines. It'd be great for TPTB to acknowledge that Jonas DOES still exist and that not everything he's done has been bad. It'd be nice for there to be some sort of wrap-up to that tantalizing plotline they introduced about Jonas and his genetics... and then promptly dropped as soon as they kicked him out the gate.

He may only have been around for one season and he may not have been given much development, but Jonas is still one of my favorite characters on the show and I still miss him terribly. However much I may like him, though, I'm resigned to the fact that we're never going to see him again. Not in any serious capacity. I'm in the definite minority for liking Jonas, just as I'm in the minority for liking Pete, but since Jonas poses no obstacle on the road to Sam/Jack ship and since the writers have made it abundantly clear (to me, anyway) that S/J ship is the number one issue on Stargate, then they have no reason to bring Jonas back. He served his purpose while Daniel was gone and now he's been tossed aside like a rotten banana skin. Sayonara, Mr. Quinn.

Back on topic, I'm almost willing to bet money that if Stargate continues to pull good ratings in S8 that they'll greenlight S9. Stories don't matter. Characters and actors don't matter. The only thing that counts these days is the Almighty Dollar.

the_fours
May 13th, 2004, 12:51 PM
posible spoilers
however it's carter thats filling the gap because she apparatly gets promoted to colonal so now she fill two roles (theoretically) but i do agree that they need a forth man perhaps grogan

ShadowMaat
May 13th, 2004, 01:29 PM
posible spoilers
however it's carter thats filling the gap because she apparatly gets promoted to colonal so now she fill two roles (theoretically) but i do agree that they need a forth man perhaps grogan

Now, see, this would have been the perfect opportunity to bring McKay onto the team! A constant thorn in Carter's side, always mocking her decisions and talking down to her but still able to pull his weight when he can pull his head out of his arse long enough. ;) And oh, what sparkage! It'd be a true (if evil) delight to watch.

Put McKay on SG-1 and then you can add Jonas to the A-team and everyone's happy. :P

SaharaGate
May 13th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Now, see, this would have been the perfect opportunity to bring McKay onto the team! A constant thorn in Carter's side, always mocking her decisions and talking down to her but still able to pull his weight when he can pull his head out of his arse long enough. ;) And oh, what sparkage! It'd be a true (if evil) delight to watch.

Put McKay on SG-1 and then you can add Jonas to the A-team and everyone's happy. :P

I would have loved McKay as the new member of SG1. He played off Carter soooo well and I loved his sarcasm.

I think putting him on Atlantis was probably the best decision the powers ever made for that show......however it remains to be seen whether the character is as effective there as he was on SG1. After all, there'll be no Carter telling him to go suck a lemon...

And I would really miss that :D

SaberBlade
May 13th, 2004, 05:47 PM
i think McKay is better off in Atlantis. if he did join SG-1 he wouldn't be there for long. Sam would either shoot him or he would leave because Sam would be more likely to believe her own theories and ignore his (similar to Hailey and Sam in Prodigy). having 2 similar characters wouldn't be the same as having a new unique character. i would enjoy seeing Jonas in Atlantis but not back as a member with SG-1, same with McKay

LateFan
May 14th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Great feedback. Yeah I never saw Jonas replacing anyone. Just where Carter will be jumping into Jack's role, Jonas would be a better fit and less redundency. Jonas proved to be able to fill in both Carter and Daniel fields of expertise. It would allow Carter be more of the leader type and not science girl all the time. But after reading some of the posts i agree more that McKay would of been a better fit for sg-1 and jonas for atlantis. But alas we are the audience and not the ones in charge. Let's hope they know what they are doing and as this thread began, not just out for $$$.

Lord Dagda
May 14th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Didnt Mallozzi say in his recent interview that he could envisage up to season 12 and beyond? lol He suggested he had story ideas anyway...that it gets easier to write them the more seasons they make.

the_fours
May 14th, 2004, 07:48 AM
yeah he said that, but i cant see how it gets easier *but then again i lack imagination* who knows how long sg-1 will go lets just wait and see is what i say

Jag
May 14th, 2004, 09:57 AM
I want to believe there is going to be at least a season 9. But so far the writers have left so many story lines unfinished. I think they should fill in all the blanks before the show is over. And if Rick decides to quit the show, then i will personally go to his house and change his mind for him :D

Jag
May 14th, 2004, 09:59 AM
It just wouldnt be right without Jack or any of SG-1. You may not think you watch it because of them, but they do make the what it is. With the help of excellent writters.

Livi2Jack
May 14th, 2004, 09:25 PM
I say, tell RDA to figure on Season 39 !!!!

prion
May 15th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Didnt Mallozzi say in his recent interview that he could envisage up to season 12 and beyond? lol He suggested he had story ideas anyway...that it gets easier to write them the more seasons they make.

As long as the writers keep copying movie scripts, sure they've got lots of idea.s :D What will determine whether the show gets a green light will be down to $. Even if the ratings do well. if the show costs too much to do - and it goes up every year and the dollar isn't exacatly doing great guns these days - MGm will kill the show. After all, ATLANTIS was made to take its place, as they have relatively unknown cast members, who are a LOT cheaper than an established cast. What the writers want is irrelevant.

the_fours
May 16th, 2004, 05:20 AM
yeah, but they need to be prepared because they got caught unawares pretty much when s7 was confirmed, everyone had already said goodbye!!!

sclairef99
May 17th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Honestly, I was very excited hearing that they want a season 9! However, when the mention of rda doing the 'r' word came around, my heart sank. When I read the season 8 synopsis about rda being desk bound and sg-1 staying a 3 person team...again I was disappointed, because I really liked the team. I think that has been the best flavor of the series.

While I think SG is a VERY strong franchise and can go on w/o alot of principle characters, w/o the principle characters that made it strong - you could get a bad taste in your mouth.

However, in conclusion - Even though there are what I consider MAJOR changes coming around in Season 8 - I am very excited to see how it all plays out - because I'm addicted enough to watch SG1 anytime it is on tv. I enjoyed season 7...and I'm sure I'll enjoy season 8....but some of my favorite episodes will still be in the mid seasons....

s

the_fours
May 17th, 2004, 06:43 AM
very well said i personally cannot wait to see how it does play out in the series

acwaugh
May 17th, 2004, 10:17 AM
I don't see why they couldn't go on with a season 9 and even 10. The writers have even said it has gotten easier to write th story lines because there are so many stories to elaborate on (Daniel Jackson's grandfather for instance, or just going back to some of the planets they've visited to continue a story, like what ever happened to the woman that Jack may have gotten pregnant in "100 Days"?). I'm all for any more seasons that they will give us. I'm 48 years old and I've never been such a fan of a t.v. show before, like I am with Stargate. It's a sci-fi show that takes place here and now and I think that's why I like it so much.

A.C. Waugh
Fairbanks, Alaska

GhostPoet
May 17th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Personally...I'd rather have a movie with the team all together. (or a set of movies)
Rather than a lot of seasons with the team seperated.

David85
May 17th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Yes do some movies and let Atlanis do whatever. Then for the 4th spinoff (hehe) have like Stargate SG-2! or something like that and the new team could visit those plants again.

Livi2Jack
May 17th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Agreed. It has real quality as entertainment. I like the fact it is in the here and now with things as they are for the most part. I like the flawed characters. I like the level of language and the sentiments expressed. I like the portrayal of accomplished people who are not denigrated for being smart and dedicated. It is a really positive portrayal of people's interactions and relationships rather than the nasty put downs on broadcast sitcoms.

Bogopimp
May 18th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I think that I'll wait until I see how season 8 goes before I start hip hip hooraying for a season 9. With Jack at a desk job and no Hammond there will be some big changes this season and it remains to be seen how said changes will be handled. I am not, however, one of the people who hated season 7. I, in fact, quite enjoyed it and if I keep enjoying it then I'm all for a season 9.
I agree. Momentum has to be conserved! Season 7 was amazing, but compared to season 5 then it wasnt quite as good, and season 4 was a stormer. I think the only options there REALLY are are to revisit old enemys, as ships are gonna get pwnd by earth new big super weapon, and the wraith only seem set for atlantis. I wouldnt like to see a wraith crossover.

I think it should be seen how season 8 is handled. RDA is a main feature, and if theres less off him, there is less viewers!

GhostPoet
May 20th, 2004, 11:29 AM
One thing i'd like to see..a deep...DEEP space Wraith recon ship that is in earths galaxy...and they can't make it back so they have been living off the inhabitants of a nearby planet...SG-1 discovers this and eventually has to kill them off...
This way we'd at least get to see how SG-1 does against them.

Besides...I love the occasional crossover :)

the_fours
May 20th, 2004, 02:23 PM
One thing i'd like to see..a deep...DEEP space Wraith recon ship that is in earths galaxy...and they can't make it back so they have been living off the inhabitants of a nearby planet...SG-1 discovers this and eventually has to kill them off...
This way we'd at least get to see how SG-1 does against them.

Besides...I love the occasional crossover :)

maybe im not too sure about crossing them over so directly

**Osiris**
May 20th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Agree.

Btw, great news!!! SG1 has to beat X-Files! :D
Seriously, I want Anna Louise Plowman and Corin Nemec as regular in season 9 IF RDA would leave.

I would love the same thing and I would of loved for Jonus to stay on in season 7 and made the team a 5 person team. :D

Otis
May 22nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
I don't see why they couldn't go on with a season 9 and even 10. The writers have even said it has gotten easier to write th story lines because there are so many stories to elaborate on (Daniel Jackson's grandfather for instance, or just going back to some of the planets they've visited to continue a story, like what ever happened to the woman that Jack may have gotten pregnant in "100 Days"?). I'm all for any more seasons that they will give us. I'm 48 years old and I've never been such a fan of a t.v. show before, like I am with Stargate. It's a sci-fi show that takes place here and now and I think that's why I like it so much.

A.C. Waugh
Fairbanks, Alaska
I agree with you. The characters and their storylines could continue to flesh out and grow. I would continue watching without RDA, which says a lot for the show itself, as that's why I started watching it. It's nice to have a show based on current times with pauible plots. :rolleyes:

Elwe Singollo
May 23rd, 2004, 10:36 AM
I didn't start watching the show because of RDA, but he is one of those characters you don't want to 'not have', but i wouldn't mind him not being in the show, although i prefer for him to be.

Catysg1
May 23rd, 2004, 10:54 AM
9 plus 1. :)

Th X-files was a sensational show and I can't wait for the movie ..So far Mulder and Scully is the most famous couple/partnership in the sci-fi history ;)

I really do hope Stargate will do at least 9 seasons too..I would love a 10 season but without RDA ..not sure ...When Duchovny left the show (x-files) at the end of season 7....I also felt like I lost a friend ....like Scully....and it was wrong to carry on the series without Mulder ....He(David) really should have done more cameos for scully's sake .I mean she had to carry the show by herself and although I don't loathe Doggett and Reyes ..it was wrong to introduce them so far in the series .

For Stargate sg1 . it's different because it's a team show already but Jack should still be present from time to time ....I really hope that RDA will say yes to a season 9 and makes lots of cameos appearances....Then , it should be fine and hopefully great ....They will always be good stories to tell in Stargate .. ;)

And I hope that O'Neill/Carter or Sam/Jack will become as famous as Mulder and Scully. ;)

Caty ;)

ShadowMaat
May 23rd, 2004, 11:07 AM
Here's a thought: Without Jack there can be no more Sam/Jack ship and TPTB will have lost 80% of their ideas right there. They'd actually have to think again and write REAL stories! So it probably won't happen. ;)

fifthmember
May 23rd, 2004, 07:49 PM
I would absolutely love Season 9! If http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/daniel.gif http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/sam.gif & http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/tealc.gif are willing to come back, they could carry the show and we could slowly introduce new characters and learn to love them. The show could be like "ER" and "Law & Order" with casts rotating out when they can no longer do the series.

I'm a firm believer that Stargate can exist without http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/jack.gif. I love him to death but he's not the only reason I watch. I certainly hope Stargate lasts a good long time. Let's beat ther "X-Files" record of ten seasons, and then reach beyond! Maybe even bring back http://forum.gateworld.net/images/gw_icons/jonas.gif :-)
Finally. Someone who feels the same way I do. I absoutely love RDA and yes, I'm an old MacGyver fan -- watch all the reruns on TVLand. However, I think the show and the other actors transcend the absence of RDA if that is to happen. I'd rather see SG-1 continue without RDA than have no SG-1 at all! This is the only show I absoutely have to watch on television.

Elwe Singollo
May 26th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I value RDA in Stargate, but i do agree, i rather have a stargate: sg1 rather than none.

Odens återkomst
May 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM
I have seen season seven and I want to watch more, so I'll watch season eight. Let me watch season eight before I decide if I want to watch a season nine. People are jumping ahead of themselves.

Sarcazmo The Clown
May 26th, 2004, 08:58 PM
LET'S GO SEASON 9!!!
I am all for a 9th season if the gods permit. (in nomine padre et fils... yeah I know its really cruddy latin... so sue me...)
If RDA doesn't want to do a 9th season, as much as I'd miss him, I think the show can go on. As far as I know they're not gonna kill him off so there's always a chance for him to return as a guest. Plus, MS, AT, and CJ are talented actors. I think they can do it. and like the interview said, the franchise has become so much bigger than just the four main actors.
SG1, I believe in you! Clap your hands if you believe in Gaters! Come on everybody! All you at home, clap your hands!

Sarcazmo The Clown
May 26th, 2004, 09:11 PM
I didn't start watching the show because of RDA, but he is one of those characters you don't want to 'not have', but i wouldn't mind him not being in the show, although i prefer for him to be.
Just questioning, and I mean no offence, I just heard this on Justice League and it fits.

"Do ever you get caffed sitting on the fence all the time?"

;)

Elwe Singollo
May 26th, 2004, 11:33 PM
I don't understand that

ShadowMaat
May 27th, 2004, 03:21 AM
The word is "chafed"- "Do you ever get chafed sitting on that fence?" As in, do you have butt blisters from not making up your mind about the S9 issue. Although since you seem to be all for it, I dunno how it applies. :P

Elwe Singollo
May 27th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Yah, i'm not really 'chaffed' or whatever, i'm open to the idea of a season 9.

Otis
June 5th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Here's a thought: Without Jack there can be no more Sam/Jack ship and TPTB will have lost 80% of their ideas right there. They'd actually have to think again and write REAL stories! So it probably won't happen. ;)
Oh, that is soooo evil! :D

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Well, even if theres not a season 9, i'm really happy that Sci-fi is behind the show :)

PYRO
June 8th, 2004, 12:44 PM
i read in another thread on here that an interview done with a paper called multichannel news a few days ago, the Scfi channels president and exec producer said that they want a season 9, see below,

FYI - SciFi Prez. Bonnie Hammer and Exec. Prod. Michael Greenburg made the following remarks about season nine. The quotes are excerpted from a big Stargate feature, published on May 3, 2004, in Multichannel News - a cousin to Variety. (Both publications are owned by the same corporate parent.)

#######
SG-1’s ratings momentum begs the obvious question: Is season eight, rumored to be the last, truly the end of the line?

“I don’t! I don’t think it will be. “Greenburg asserted, “If the demand is there, I think the show will be there. I think it can continue. Sci Fi’s a fairly new network. We’re the highest rated show they’ve ever had. We’ve broken their records. It just feels like it’s too early to go away.”

Can Atlantis and SG-1 really co-exist in parallel universes? “Yes, absolutely. I don’t know if Rick would continue. But who knows? You never know until the offer’s on the table. But I think the franchise now is becoming bigger than the people.”

Even Hammer leaves the door ajar. “Never say never. We love it, we embrace it…it’s such an amazing franchise. I couldn’t honestly say to you: now it’s season eight and it’s over. It just might not be.”

so if the prez of scfi channel wants it, it looks like season 9 is on the cards we know that chris judge, amanda tapping and michael shanks wanna do it and maybe rda can be convinced if his working schedule works out in season 8, so wot you guys think about this?

dont forget the prez said he wants it!!!!!

can stress that enough

SO WOT U ALL THINK EXCITING OR WOT????

But there isent that much to do for SG-1. Fight another enemy? No, thats kinda boring now. Fight the Ancient city? No, unless StarGate: Atlantis is a huge hoax. Explore? No, they did that for a few seasons so far (before the ancients, tok'ra, etc). All that's left is pretty much going side by side with Atlantis, which would be boring sinch once I watch SG-1, I don't have to watch Atlantis, I would already know what happened. So I don't think their will be a season 9. Plus RDA is leaving the StarGate franchise after Season 8 to spend time with his daughter.

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Well, even if theres not a season 9, i'm really happy that Sci-fi is behind the show :)
SCIFI isn't behind the show so much as they're backing their biggest money-maker. They don't give a rat's behind about quality or the happiness of the fans. As long as THEY are making money, that's all that matters.

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 12:48 PM
But there isent that much to do for SG-1. Fight another enemy? No, thats kinda boring now. Fight the Ancient city? No, unless StarGate: Atlantis is a huge hoax. Explore? No, they did that for a few seasons so far (before the ancients, tok'ra, etc). All that's left is pretty much going side by side with Atlantis, which would be boring sinch once I watch SG-1, I don't have to watch Atlantis, I would already know what happened. So I don't think their will be a season 9. Plus RDA is leaving the StarGate franchise after Season 8 to spend time with his daughter.Well maybe there are storylines that need to be tied up and such, or storylines you haven't thought of. Also didn't the article that was originally posted say that that they were 'unsure' if RDA would return, it didn't say he 'wouldn't' come back. I know this is your opinion, thats mine :) And a show can go on without its original main character, look at X-files, but wait, most of the time the show will end up being crappy, but the show 'The Practice' did pretty well without its main character, although the creator decided to end the show and make a spin off.

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 12:49 PM
SCIFI isn't behind the show so much as they're backing their biggest money-maker. They don't give a rat's behind about quality or the happiness of the fans. As long as THEY are making money, that's all that matters.Yah, i don't think any network executives really care for quality, they practically want the money and ratings. I totally agree :) Look at the commercial time on broadcast networks, they are taking over the actual tv show time.

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Well maybe there are storylines that need to be tied up and such...
Yeah, they've been "tying up" storylines for how many seasons, now? :P Sorry, but I'd rather see real, hard-edged NEW eps than constant retreads of old eps. At one point in time, they were capable of revisiting past stories and adding to them to make them new and interesting and to further the overall plot, but I personally believe that those days are past. You aren't going to get old themes with a new twist, you're going to get old eps regurgitated and packaged as new, minus all the stuff that made the original ep good in the first place. Just my opinion, of course. ;)

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Some people want new edged storylines, but some people also would rather see some continuation between episodes, such as... Why did they put 'Resurrection', an episode after Heroes Part 2, there? The only thing that was referred was that Jack was taking some time off because what happened in Heroes Part 2. Although i liked the episode, i just dont' think its a good idea to do that. Hmm, that made sense... i think...

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2004, 01:30 PM
There's a difference between keeping continuity and flat-out repeating yourself. :P

Stargate hasn't always been strong on the continuity. Monumental things happen in one ep, and in the next they're skipping along like everything is fine.

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 01:38 PM
There's a difference between keeping continuity and flat-out repeating yourself. :P

Stargate hasn't always been strong on the continuity. Monumental things happen in one ep, and in the next they're skipping along like everything is fine.I wasn't trying to repeat myself, and i don't think i did :p, i was attempting to start a new subject on what some people want other than new episodes that don't show signs of almost anything that happened in the episode before, such as the death of our beloved doctor :(

bcmilco
June 8th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Stargate hasn't always been strong on the continuity. Monumental things happen in one ep, and in the next they're skipping along like everything is fine.

Yes isn't it wonderful that broken bones, and life threatening desease only last a week ;) :p

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Well maybe episodes that include broken bones for one example :), may happen, and the next episode is set a few weeks later? Well, nevermind that wouldn't make sense, unless their broken bones heal quickly... :D

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2004, 01:59 PM
I wasn't trying to repeat myself, and i don't think i did :p
Not everything is about YOU, LMJ. :P I was talking about the show. ;)

And I'm not saying that every ep should be completely new and never refer back to anything that happened before, that would be stupid. But I also don't want to watch an entire season of recycled plotlines and "tying up" of still yet more "loose ends". They've been doing that for a couple of years now. It's getting old. ;)

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 02:02 PM
And I'm not saying that every ep should be completely new and never refer back to anything that happened before, that would be stupid. But I also don't want to watch an entire season of recycled plotlines and "tying up" of still yet more "loose ends". They've been doing that for a couple of years now. It's getting old. ;)
Hehe, i'm really 'concieted' at the moment, i'm becoming a Tollan!? Thats not good... Oh hey, i like the new Avatars, i'm so happy :) Ok back to the wonderful topic... Although i do agree its getting old, but i would rather have episodes tying things up than episodes that just plain suck.

Not everything is about YOU, LMJ. :P I was talking about the show. ;)SHOCK, you broke my heart... Haha ...

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2004, 02:05 PM
i would rather have episodes tying things up than episodes that just plain suck.
You're implying there's a difference between the two. :P

Done RIGHT, eps "tying up" things can be great. It just remains to be seen (by those of you still watching :P) whether or not TPTB are capable of doing things right. ;)

Congrats on reaching the next level, you numbers-runner, you. ;)

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 02:16 PM
You're implying there's a difference between the two. :P

Done RIGHT, eps "tying up" things can be great. It just remains to be seen (by those of you still watching :P) whether or not TPTB are capable of doing things right. ;)I thought they were pretty capable with the Ancient's storyline, although it may not have been interesting to some people, it was to me :) But your right, if episodes that return to previous storylines, they should absolutely be done right.

I attempted to state theres a different between the two, maybe i did, maybe i didn't.. :)

Congrats on reaching the next level, you numbers-runner, you. ;)Domo Arigato :)

Oh look, i'm also in the enlisted personell section :)

MartoufMarty
June 11th, 2004, 10:26 AM
that's very true. the show just isn't like it used to be. whatever happened to the great episodes? right now the show is... okay, but it's losing it's quality quickly. i don't think that it should have a season 9. don't even think it should even have had season 8. hell, i didn't really wanna see season 7 come around.

Elwe Singollo
June 11th, 2004, 10:34 AM
I've repeated over and over (well maybe not alot, :)), i really think if you want the show to end, just think of it already as 'dead' and stop watching, because the viewers who still think the show is good will keep on watching until the show actually isn't anymore, if so many people stop watching Stargate, you'll get your wish(or demands), and the show will end, or end up being cancelled. The show would have been cancelled long ago if so many people didn't like how Stargate is going, quality wise, but since the ratings are high, and steadily staying there for Scifi, i truly think the people who think the show should have ended a year or two ago, or think the show has lost its, originality, good qaulity, are the minority, in which the ptb are trying to please the majority.

The parts where i say, "you'll get your wish(or demands)", doesn't mean that it is what the people want (the people who thought the show should have ended earlier, or the quality of an episode is bad), its just what i think ...

ShadowMaat
June 11th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Who's to say that those who are complaining haven't stopped watching, or aren't watching it religiously anymore? There are these things called Nielsen Boxes. People with Nielsen Boxes are the only ones who count, ratings-wise. From what I understand, you could have every non-Nielsen household stop watching the show and as long as those box-holders kept watching, the ratings would still be high. So no, unless there's a goodly portion of Nielsen folk in the disgruntled viewers lot, I don't think that our not watching the show anymore would get it cancelled.

Anyway, does our being in the "minority" make our opinions any less valid? This is a place to express opinions and wishes, and that's exactly what we've been doing. I've seen very few people outright DEMAND that the show change or die.

Elwe Singollo
June 11th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Anyway, does our being in the "minority" make our opinions any less valid? This is a place to express opinions and wishes, and that's exactly what we've been doing. I've seen very few people outright DEMAND that the show change or die.I have no comment on the part about nielsen box's because one, your explanation does have a good fact about not all people have Nielsen Boxes and stuff. But the second part i do have a comment/thought. Nowhere in my post i said that the "minority's" opinions were less valid at all, i'm against that whole idea of making someone's opinion 'less right', 'less valid', etc. I'm just telling you 'my opinion' which didn't say anything about anyone else's opinion being wrong or less valid. Yes, this is a very very good place to express opinions and wishes, i totally agree, and my previous post is my opinion and wish (well mostly opinion). Thats right, you've seen very few people 'outright demand that the show change or die', i didn't even say that they wanted change, but yes, i did say people wanted the show to be over, and i do agree, i also don't see very few people demand the show to die, that just shows that they are a few people who do, and those are some of the minority who want that horrible conclusion.

Elwe Singollo
June 12th, 2004, 04:56 PM
I was reading a Convention that MS and AT went to, and its nice to know that they would do a season 9 :) Also, i'm truly sorry if this has been already said.

It was saying how S7 had the highest ratings ever for the show, and how fan support is strong, and how MS/AT would do a S9, it was a nice read.

heres the link to the whole.
http://www.stargatefan.com/fandom/conventions/pasadenatranscript.htm

zebrok
June 26th, 2004, 09:17 AM
But there isent that much to do for SG-1. Fight another enemy? No, thats kinda boring now. Fight the Ancient city? No, unless StarGate: Atlantis is a huge hoax. Explore? No, they did that for a few seasons so far (before the ancients, tok'ra, etc). All that's left is pretty much going side by side with Atlantis, which would be boring sinch once I watch SG-1, I don't have to watch Atlantis, I would already know what happened.

Spoilers Atlantis
Since Atlantis is set in a seperate galaxy and the amount of energy required to gate to that galaxy is astronomical, the shows do not crossover. In the first season of Atlantis they can't even dial home once let alone every week for status reports so that the shows/teams would be able to work together.

As for what is left for the show, SG-1, to do...well there's that whole eternal struggle of good vs evil that has haunted mankind ,and seemingly the universe, throughout time or all the meaning of life stuff but if that isn't specific enough I have two words for you: Fifth Race.

Some people know what I mean and thats cool. Those that have no clue, well no wonder they want the show to end, they dont get it. For those that get it, here's to seasons 9, 10, 11 and beyond. For those that dont want a season 9....turn off the TV, delete all your Stargate links and *poof* its gone. It really is that simple.

ShadowMaat
June 26th, 2004, 11:41 AM
For those that dont want a season 9....turn off the TV, delete all your Stargate links and *poof* its gone. It really is that simple.
Gosh, and here I thought Stargate fandom was for ALL fans of the show, past and present.

Bagpuss
June 26th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Agreed,and don't forget "Future" fans !
My kids are called the "Gatelets",simply because they love the show at least as much as I do .
If Hubby or I decided to boycott future series or movies of SG-1 or SGA,we'd have a massive rebellion on our hands....... :eek:

Ugly Pig
June 27th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Well, here's a Robert C. Cooper quote from SciFi Wire which might be relevant:

In response to a question about whether the upcoming season will be the show's last, Cooper said, "We also are not going to completely end the show. We never wanted to end the show. Our intention was to leave it open so that SG-1 was still out there on adventures and also leave the door open for features or TV movies or direct-to-video movies or whatever, that sort of thing, so that the franchise will continue."

(Source) (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-06/23/12.00.sfc)

Anubis
June 27th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Sounds interesting

Ugly Pig
June 27th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Well, if nothing else it confirms that the final episode - wether that is at the end of season 8 or later - won't be a definate conclusive final ending. Which is what I was hoping, so YAY! :)

SG1Poz
July 13th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Well after seeing the record breaking viewings for The New Order, I can't see how they wouldn't continue with Sg-1. I understand both sides of the barrel here but after doing some heavy thinking and heartful searching, I'd say "Go" for season 9 only if RDA can at least keep to the schedule he had last season. My reasoning is not only do I live for this show (it's my anti-depressant:), I did enjoy season 7. RDA was there enough to keep me happy. I'd of course prefer seeing more of him. I really liked the shows (Loved AT in Grace) with just the threesome but I found myself always looking forward to seeing the full team. It's all RDA's fault :). Not only is RDA hot but he maked us love his character Jack with his silly jokes, simple sarcasisms and excellent leadership qualities.
Some say they will wait until viewing season 8 before deciding. There was one season (not telling) that I wasn't thrilled with but I was very happy with the complete turn around with the following season. I just can't judge next season (hopefully) by this season which is beginning with a *bang*!
Another reason to do season 9 is if Atlantis flops. What would we have to watch then? SG-1Poz

ShadowMaat
July 13th, 2004, 06:24 AM
So... RDA should sacrifice time with his daughter, ignore the fact that she's getting older every day with a semi-absentee father just so people can get their "fix" of Stargate and so that, gods help us, Stargate can "prove" it is top dog by matching/beating the X-Files's record?

Let it go. Just... let it go. Please.

SG1Poz
July 13th, 2004, 06:49 AM
So... RDA should sacrifice time with his daughter, ignore the fact that she's getting older every day with a semi-absentee father just so people can get their "fix" of Stargate and so that, gods help us, Stargate can "prove" it's top dog by matching/beating the X-Files's record?

Let it go. Just... let it go. Please.

Hey Shadow, remember me? Poz? Howdy. Now a quick response to the above. RDA said he had other agendas he was considering besides spending more time with his daughter. It's up to him to ponder, out-weigh the pros and cons about *his* decision. It's *not* up to us and whatever he decides is his own personal business.
We raised two children. My husband was out of town quite a bit also due to his job. My cousin is raising three kids while her husband who's in the service (special ops), has been *overseas* for over a year. Sometimes sacrifices must be made in ours lives but *we* choose to make them. Believe me, he'll do whatever he decides to do no matter what we wish and hopefully he'll be at peace with his decision.

cobraR478
July 13th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Sometimes sacrifices must be made in ours lives but *we* choose to make them.
Yes, he is sacrifcing more money and fame so that he can raise his daughter. Evil self-serving ******* :p

Livi2Jack
July 13th, 2004, 04:41 PM
First of all, six days a month to film is hardly a sacrifice. The kid will start first grade this year and go to bed before he comes home from any work. Second, he isn't home so much since he is doing all those outdoors adventures and travelling for his charity work. He isn't sitting there doing laundry. The older she gets, the more time she will spend with her friends. During the week, most daddys get home too late to see the kids more than just before bedtime anyway. So how is an abbreviated shooting schedule accomodating his needs and that employs so many people a sacrifice.

Shipperahoy
July 13th, 2004, 05:25 PM
I just want to remind people that the actor's personal lives are off limits. The only person who knows the full story behind why or why not RDA will do another season is RDA himself. He has stated his reasons very clearly and I've seen no reason not to believe him. We have no idea what's involved in shooting a tv show, even with an abbreviated schedule.

vikingjedi
July 13th, 2004, 08:04 PM
No RDA = No SG1

MasterPower
July 28th, 2004, 07:07 AM
I really hope that there is a season 9.
Who cares if there is no RDA, we still have the other 3.
So I'm all for season 9.

Anubis
July 28th, 2004, 07:17 AM
I agree with Shipperahoy. RDA gives he reasons how he wants them displayed to people. It's his choice, not ours

Major Tyler
July 28th, 2004, 07:26 AM
No RDA = No SG1Actually, in order to have "No SG1," you would have to have "No RDA, no AT, no MS, and no CJ."

Anubis
July 28th, 2004, 07:27 AM
MT is actually correct. In fact, in order to have no SG1 then they wouldn't film it! ;)

Planet Surrey
July 28th, 2004, 01:14 PM
The success or failure of Atlantis will prove whether the SG franchise can continue with other actors. I think Corin Nemic did fine in season 6. I enjoy the SG-1 characters, but the format, story-lines and production infrastructure could be used just fine with other actors and characters.

I see it as a difference of opinion between people who enjoy the show overall for the quality of the production, and people who are committed to particular actors/characters. I'm one of the former.

darman
July 28th, 2004, 04:47 PM
. I see it as a difference of opinion between people who enjoy the show overall for the quality of the production, and people who are committed to particular actors/characters.

hmmmmm............... there should be a poll

Metonic
July 28th, 2004, 05:28 PM
wouldnt it be cool if President Bush liked it and told them to keep doing it? lol that be awesome

ShadowMaat
July 28th, 2004, 05:30 PM
wouldnt it be cool if President Bush liked it and told them to keep doing it? lol that be awesome
Thank God the President's likes and dislikes mean absolutely NOTHING in situations like this. :P

Anubis
July 29th, 2004, 12:47 AM
I agree with Shadow. We'd have a few problems, not just with Stargate!

diek
July 30th, 2004, 12:06 AM
I would love to see a season nine as long as the writing stayed intelligent and believable and they had a fun atmosphere about the show. And I think SG-1 and Atlantis could be easily intermingled. The gate doesn't have to be closed down forever. Look at ST:NG and ST: DS9. They inhabited the same universe and worked just fine IMO (I know...many would disagree!).

I'm also a big simpsons fan and sadly, they have really sucked in the last few years IMO. The writing has become obvious and non-intellectual. As long as SG-1 doesn't head that direction, they could stay a hit.

Elwe Singollo
July 30th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Even if the episodes are as good as i think they should be, i would still watch it as long as they are still enjoying making the show :)

Kraw
July 30th, 2004, 05:42 AM
ok, it's a long thread and I didn't read all of it, so...

what "other intersets" does RDA have? I don't recall seeing him in any movies lately, or in any other TV shows. Yes, he's the main character, but after all these years, I personally wouldn't say he is STILL the main character :)

shockwave
July 30th, 2004, 06:44 AM
his "other interests" don't include acting, but spending time with his daughter, his environmental work, ....

Martouf84
July 30th, 2004, 12:13 PM

That has nothing to do with SG-1!
It is ok if you like Mr. Bush but I would not be pround if he watches the same show I do :rolleyes:
I hope for a season 9 if season 8 continues like this but I think SciFi is intelligent enough to listen to the viewers and not to the Presidents vote... :)

Major Tyler
July 30th, 2004, 12:30 PM
wouldnt it be cool if President Bush liked it and told them to keep doing it? lol that be awesomeIt would be even cooler if Bush said he didn't like Stargate. Then he would lose all of the Gater votes. :D

kadosho
July 30th, 2004, 11:11 PM
If things work out, us fans say go for it!

Jonas Quinn
July 31st, 2004, 12:21 AM
It would be even cooler if Bush said he didn't like Stargate. Then he would lose all of the Gater votes. :DWas that a subtle pun?

Gater -> Gator -> University of Florida mascot -> Florida = "Bush loses Florida votes"...that was a clever pun!

Works on so many levels. ;)